Forums are back in action! ×

"I can't accept your lembas, my queen. I only eat paleo."

I'm 34, a father of two, and significantly slower and heavier than I'd like to be. Damn that elven queen and her lembas bread.

For a long time I've wanted to get in shape for a lot of reasons. I want to look good. I want to wear clothes that fit well and flatter me. I want to lower my risk for diabetes, heart disease, cancer, and anything else that will take any more years off my life than smoking for a decade already has. I want my daughters to be proud of me for improving. All of those desires are important to me, but they haven't been enough to truly drive me. You know what I think makes the difference now? I want to write more and better. I want my brain in the same whip-crack condition it was twenty years ago, when my memory and response times were enhanced by underage nicotine use instead of arising from healthy living. I want to be hungry for the world, if you get what I mean.

Bodyweight exercises are the most attractive to me right now. I don't like gyms for all the usual reasons, and so long as I'm somewhere with the space to do bodyweight, I don't have excuses to avoid exercise. Plus it appeals to my laziness in a backwards sort of way. I don't have to leave the house. :tongue: Running has always been an issue for me; I've had mild knee and ankle issues since I was a kid. I think I probably took an arrow to the knee in a past life. Alternatives to running are of great interest to me.

I'm looking forward to the next challenge cycle. In the meantime, choosing a race has proven to be quite a task. As a GM for a long-running campaign, I have an assortment of linked and nested random tables to quickly generate characters. It ordinarily produces quite reasonable results, but when I ran it last night just to see what it would give me for my NF race, I wound up being a demonic transforming robot with chest cannons and a coolant leak. Maybe I should just pick "human". >.>

• Like 1

RMDC | Chaser Druid 2
STR 2 | DEX 1 | STA 3 | CON 3 | WIS 3 | CHA 2
NF Character Profile: RMDC
Challenge: Current - PKMN Journey, Part 1

Previous: 1

Write 6 pages per week

24%
24%
Water only
40%
40%
Wheat products restricted to 3/wk (this week's slots: {*} - {*} - { } )
27%
27%
Daily meditation
36%
36%
Interval walking, four total hours

36%
36%

If you haven't already - you should look in the resources section of the website.  There is a TON of helpful stuff there to get you started.  I always start with walking - sounds lame, but walking is easy to convince myself to do.  Plus you can listen to books & podcasts while you walk.  

I am partial to the Demonic robot - that sounds great!  Did you make the tables or find them?  I'd be interested to see them.  

Half Elf - Assasin Level 1

[sTR: 1 | DEX: 1 | STA: 2 | CON: 2.46 | WIS: 2.46 | CHA: 0 ]

First Challenge

Main Quest: Body & Mind heath.

Activity

50%
50%

Food Tracking

36%
36%

I didn't really bother with running for a while after starting bodyweight workouts, honestly you don't really need to if you don't want to. 

For race, look into your particular physical build and pick one that sorta fits, and take your favorite geekery into account as well! 

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Becomes Her Own Hero

Jedi Battle Log

“Keep Calm, Carry On, and Don't Freeze Up!”

- Oboro Shirakumo (Loud Cloud), My Hero Academia Vigilantes

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10#11#12#13#14#15#16, #17#18#19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33,  #34#35#36#37#38#39#40#41#42#43#44, #45#46#47#48#49#50#51#52#53#54#55#56#57#58#59#60#61#62#63

welcome!

Demonic transforming robot sounds like fun, but if you're confused, human works good.  With very few exceptions, all fictional races are based off the "human" template anyway.  I went with Hylian because it's like human but slightly geekier, and I'm of more or less average height/weight so "human" suits me fine.

though, if you were bound and determined to be a demonic robot with chest cannons, best find a heavy metal album or three and get started on pushups ;)

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.