8 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Aww thank you! 😊 It's beautiful. 🥰

You're welcome!

My ridiculously long spring break is officially over, so school is back in session.

GMB Elements workout 5/7 done, then went out in the outrageous heat (89°F) yo work on the raised bed for my vegetable garden that I should have finished a month ago.   It still isn't done, but it was really too hot out, so I will have to work on it some more tomorrow.

As for my other goals, vegetables were consumed today.  Unfortunately, too much sugar was also consumed because the only thing hotter than my boys and I after an afternoon of hard work was everyone's tempers, so we cooled off with ice cream.

• Like 7

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

17 hours ago, Everstorm said:

As for my other goals, vegetables were consumed today.  Unfortunately, too much sugar was also consumed because the only thing hotter than my boys and I after an afternoon of hard work was everyone's tempers, so we cooled off with ice cream.

Do the vegetables negate the sugar? Could be a good system.

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

6 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Do the vegetables negate the sugar? Could be a good system.

Not according to the scale 😭

Also, I am coming down with the cold my boys caught last week.  Boo.  It doesn't seem to be a particularly nasty strain, but being sick is never fun.  And public safety protocols probably call for me to abstain from swimming this week.  Double boo.

On a more positive note: I have known for some time that my gym offers unspecified prizes for reaching certain mile markers in swimming.  I didn't bother to register at first because my swim distances were so small that the lowest level prize for 50 miles would have taken me years to earn.  However, my swim distance (and frequency) has increased so much that I decided to go ahead and register.  Here is where my BuJo practice paid off in spades.  I have my swim distances written down for the year thus far, so I can record 8ish miles already!

• Like 6
  • That's Metal 4

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

I'm sorry you're getting sick, but yay recorded swims and prizes!!

• Like 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ugh, feel better! 🤗  That's awesome about the swimming medals though! I love stuff like that - it's so motivating!

• Like 1

Level 16 Ravenclaw Rebel

Fairy tales do not start, nor do they end, in the dark forest (Ted Lasso)
COMPLETED CHALLENGES: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 13.5 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18

CURRENT CHALLENGE

18 hours ago, Sovalis said:

I'm sorry you're getting sick, but yay recorded swims and prizes!!

Thank you!  It was really nice to look back and see how far I have come with swimming in quite a shirt time.  BuJo ftw

12 hours ago, athousandwords said:

Ugh, feel better! 🤗  That's awesome about the swimming medals though! I love stuff like that - it's so motivating!

If it follows the pattern my boys experienced, I expect the sore throat to last one more day, and then it's just a week or so of sniffles.  As illnesses go, I'll take it.  My throat doesn't even seem as sore as they were complaining of.

I definitely like having a motivating training goal.  It helps me be consistent when I'm not feeling it.

5 hours ago, Sea-to-sky said:

It is very cool they offer medals. 50miles is no small distance

I'm not sure what the prize is actually, but it's fun to commemorate big milestones, anyway, so even if it's just a bumper sticker or something, it will mark the achievement,  which is cool.

3 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Ah the medal gives me flashbacks to swimming in school! We used to get badges for completing different milestones. I could already swim so they weren't too exciting for me but it was a fun thing.

Feel better soon!

Oh, cool that your school offered swimming (and prizes).  The ones around here don't, so we had to pay for our boys to have lessons.

• Like 1

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

I love the swimming tracker!! Okay, okay, so I just tend to love a tracker in general. I'm a nut for spreadsheets 😆 But I do think that sounds like fun and hope you get to earn that first prize soon!! 

The Happiness Trap book sounds really interesting too. It's not one I'm familiar with, but it sounds like it could be talking about some issues my cousins and I have run into (basically getting constantly distracted by thinking there must be an option out there that will make us "happier" than we are now, to the point where it's tough to just pick something and commit to it even when it turns out to be imperfect because, duh, that's how real life works). Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it!

• Like 1

Mom. Teacher. Language Enthusiast. Wood Elf :)

Current Challenge: The Threshold Chronicles of KCAleece

Alors je ne lui parlais ni de serpents boas, ni de forêts vierges, ni d'étoiles. Je me mettais à sa portée. Je lui parlais de bridge, de golf, de politique et de cravates. Et la grande personne était bien contente de connaître un homme aussi raisonnable.

On 4/17/2024 at 1:12 PM, kcaleece said:

The Happiness Trap book sounds really interesting too. It's not one I'm familiar with, but it sounds like it could be talking about some issues my cousins and I have run into (basically getting constantly distracted by thinking there must be an option out there that will make us "happier" than we are now, to the point where it's tough to just pick something and commit to it even when it turns out to be imperfect because, duh, that's how real life works). Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on 

I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the full copy next month!  In the meantime, I found out that the author has an app with exercises that correspond to the ideas in the book and I have been working through those.  It's quite eye-opening to see how much of my behavior works against my values and how it all stems from backlash over the failure to find happiness 24/7.

On 4/18/2024 at 3:01 AM, Mad Hatter said:

I think it's pretty much mandatory in Sweden where I grew up. 

It was part of school when I lived in Texas, but not in my current state 🤷‍♀️

I'm not dead.  Annoying sore throat has turned into annoying throat cough, but I still don't feel all that bad physically.  

GMB Elements 6/7 done today.  Just need 1 more in week 5!

Skipped the swim for week 4 because stoopid infectious disease protocols.   Can't be helped.  Maybe possibly could do 2 in week 5 to still hit 7, but we'll have to see how it goes.

Diet goals...what diet goals?  Do not recall having such a thing... 👀

• Like 6

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

20 hours ago, Everstorm said:

Diet goals...what diet goals?  Do not recall having such a thing... 👀

If you're ill I'd say restricting foods isn't going to get you better any quicker. Plus the same for swimming, maybe something lighter and less chlorinated?!

• Like 2

Level 37 Rogue Ranger, 2024 ROADMAP

Welcome to the Dungeons of Doom; locate the Amulet of Yendor ♀ on Level 26

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 45, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 1415, 16, 17, 18, 1920, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41

1 hour ago, Silmarilliane said:

If you're ill I'd say restricting foods isn't going to get you better any quicker. Plus the same for swimming, maybe something lighter and less chlorinated?!

Well, I was supposed to be limiting sugar and eating veggies twice a day, neither of which are really contraindicated for illness.  It's mostly that I have had a depressive episode (which started before the illness) and haven't had the bandwidth to do unpleasant things.  I seem to be heading out of it now, which is nice.

I am feeling enough recovered from the cold to consider swimming tomorrow.  I'll make the call at that time. 

I made soup last night and ate the leftovers this morning, so that's veggies starting to get back on track.  No sugar at breakfast, but I make no promises about the rest of the day.  I think the goal was unrealistic yo start with and I am just not up to pursuing it right now. 

• Like 3

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

19 hours ago, Everstorm said:

Well, I was supposed to be limiting sugar and eating veggies twice a day, neither of which are really contraindicated for illness.  It's mostly that I have had a depressive episode (which started before the illness) and haven't had the bandwidth to do unpleasant things.  I seem to be heading out of it now, which is nice.

I am feeling enough recovered from the cold to consider swimming tomorrow.  I'll make the call at that time. 

I made soup last night and ate the leftovers this morning, so that's veggies starting to get back on track.  No sugar at breakfast, but I make no promises about the rest of the day.  I think the goal was unrealistic yo start with and I am just not up to pursuing it right now. 

Ah ok yeah - I guess there are different types of ill, and there are definitely times I require eg chocolate for emotional reasons. Glad you're feeling better, and hope the swim goes well if you decided you were well enough to go.

Also very fair to think about how achievable your targets were/are - learning for next time is still a worthwhile exercise :) 

• Like 1

Level 37 Rogue Ranger, 2024 ROADMAP

Welcome to the Dungeons of Doom; locate the Amulet of Yendor ♀ on Level 26

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 45, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 1415, 16, 17, 18, 1920, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41

On 4/23/2024 at 9:33 AM, Silmarilliane said:

hope the swim goes well if you decided you were well enough to go

I did go and it was completely fine.  I swam 1km  with no negative effects other than a dry throat.

It's a perfect spring day today.  I am wearing a big, formal damask skirt for no reason other than it makes me happy while I read a book on the garden bench.  Bliss.

• Like 5

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

28 minutes ago, Kishi said:

Seriously, more of this weather, please. I'm going out to lunch with my folks at my mom's favorite local Greek place, and she loves the outdoor seating. I hope it lasts.

Should last through the weekend, I think.  It's due to get hot again next week though.  How was lunch?

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

On 4/25/2024 at 12:27 AM, Kishi said:

Hasn't happened yet! It's for this Saturday. :D

Have a great time!

GMB Elements 7/7 done yesterday.  Might try to squeeze in a swim tomorrow for 100% completion on my fitness goals.

The Happiness Trap came in from the library a bit earlier than expected.  In fact, I am rather inundated with library holds that suddenly became available so I have 5 books to read rn.  Anyway, I am hoping to get Happiness read during zero week and maybe implement some ideas from it for next challenge. 

• Like 3

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Challenge wrap-up:

GMB Elelments: 7/7 100%

Swim: 7/7 100% 

Unpostable Art: 5/5 100%

Sugar <15g: Don't make me laugh

2 Veggies a Day: Also no

So, some wins and some losses here.  I think sugar was set too low, which lead to sugar dragon population explosion, unfortunately.   The park rangers will have their hands full getting that back under control.  The 2 veggies was probably do-able, but required me to be a lot more proactive than I was, and I sort of lost the thread on that goal.

The unpostable art goal was a good one for me.  It freed me up to experiment more and not worry if the experiments were sort of a bust.  I find I learn as much or more from experiments gone wrong than from art that turned out okay.

This frequency for swimming is probably ideal.  I can't see making the trek out to the pool more often than this, so I think I've found three sweetspot.  I might look to increase frequency on GMB, though.  Not sure I am getting in enough time to see the strength gains I want there.  Still room to improve.

Here's a random iris I saw growing out of the ditch in front of my gym/pool yoday:

20240428_142909.thumb.jpg.a861aebf74bd671dfa5f43377005166c.jpg

• That's Metal 5

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Great job on the challenge! Even the thing you struggled with (sugar) it sounds like you have a  plan to  keep the sugar dragon poplulation under control.  

• Thanks 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

52 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

Great job on the challenge! Even the thing you struggled with (sugar) it sounds like you have a  plan to  keep the sugar dragon poplulation under control.  

Yeah, maybe coming at them less directly will help.  A little bait and switch lol

32 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Fantastic job on the challenge! So many 100% 😮

Thank you 😊 

• Like 1

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness