Forums are back in action! ×

What's everyone reading?

One interesting thing I've noticed at Barnes and Noble (yes I still buy actual books, in an actual, physical store) the teen reading selections have really exploded.  If you asked me 5 years ago I would have never guessed that teen reading everyone would be eyeballs deep in iPads, Kindles and Androids.  It's nice to see the upcoming generations are not doing aware with analog books.

And the book selection for teens is waaaay better than when I was that age.

• Like 2

One interesting thing I've noticed at Barnes and Noble (yes I still buy actual books, in an actual, physical store) the teen reading selections have really exploded.  If you asked me 5 years ago I would have never guessed that teen reading everyone would be eyeballs deep in iPads, Kindles and Androids.  It's nice to see the upcoming generations are not doing aware with analog books.

And the book selection for teens is waaaay better than when I was that age.

I always read growing up. But I read books like lord of the rings and things like that. So I can never say if there was a smaller area for teens or not as I generally stuck to fiction and things like that. 

I'm not saying that I was better than "kids" or "teen" books. They just rarely ever interested me. 

Maybe books written specifically for teens is a new thing? I don't know though.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

Steven King's book on writing

I almost bought this recently, but wasn't sure how interesting it would be. I find most of his stuff quite boring as he makes things seem longer than he needs to (apart form the first 3 books of the dark tower series...I really enjoyed them!)

Level 6 - Human - (North of the wall) Wyldling/Celt - Ranger/Assassin.

Epic quest I Battle Log I Accountabilibuddies 3 5 I Challenge: 1 2 3 4 5

(STR) - 4 (DEX) - 1 (STA) - 3 (CON) - 6 (WIS) - 4 (CHA) - 2

"Spartans! Prepare for glory!" - King Leonidas

Pinterest I instagram I Goodreads 

I almost bought this recently, but wasn't sure how interesting it would be. I find most of his stuff quite boring as he makes things seem longer than he needs to (apart form the first 3 books of the dark tower series...I really enjoyed them!

Buy it! It's worth it. I found it interesting and quick to read, and there's some really good practical advice in there about how to write and also stories about his life. It's definitely worth your time.

• Like 4

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

Trying to get past a bit of a block and chose 'Writing Fiction for Dummies' instead...it seemed appropriate...

Level 6 - Human - (North of the wall) Wyldling/Celt - Ranger/Assassin.

Epic quest I Battle Log I Accountabilibuddies 3 5 I Challenge: 1 2 3 4 5

(STR) - 4 (DEX) - 1 (STA) - 3 (CON) - 6 (WIS) - 4 (CHA) - 2

"Spartans! Prepare for glory!" - King Leonidas

Pinterest I instagram I Goodreads 

I almost bought this recently, but wasn't sure how interesting it would be. I find most of his stuff quite boring as he makes things seem longer than he needs to (apart form the first 3 books of the dark tower series...I really enjoyed them!)

I don't know what made me choice to read it, but it's actually really good (I'm not even huge fan of him).

• Like 1

“There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.†

~Paulo Coelho

I'm a level 3 moon elf, who's an druid assassin.

My Inspiration

Tumblr, which helps me stay the course for art challenge

FB, which I guess we could be friend :tongue:

My challenge

Instagram

Ooh LISTS. Those links will be super helpful!

I'm just finishing up the Hunger Games trilogy FINALLY and I'm needing to find a new book or series to read before I fall into ye old pattern of just re-reading a book or series because I happen to have it.

Things I have done this with:

entirety of Jacqueline Carey's three Kushiel series books (I've read all three trilogies twice, with each book being 800? pages or something. They are good but think of how many new books I could have read!)

all the Harry Potter books, so many times, especially the first five which I read 1-5 and then 5-1 repeatedly when I was going through a major Potter phase

the Twilight books (ugh. and they are SO BAD. but they were there. and entertaining in that terrible sort of way like cheeseball movies!)

I am trying to break my habit of rereading all the time and trying to find new awesome things to read. This year in addition to ye old re-reading all the Kushiel books I DID in fact read some new things!:

Newsflesh trilogy by Mira Grant (aka Seanan McGuire)

Silo trilogy (the omnibus editions, not the serialized) by Hugh Howey

I just started rereading Feed from the Newsflesh trilogy but I need to go find a new book instead! I only have maybe 50 pages left of Mockingjay so I'll have to done tonight most likely. I think I may go with some more sci-fi as I have read far more fantasy than sci-fi and I am kind of over magic and dragons and all the usually fantasy stuff (OK OK I'll NEVER be "over" fantasy but I need a change of pace!!!!)

How about Ready Player One by E. Celine or Jennifer Government by Max Barry?

Sent from my KFAPWA using Tapatalk

&Heidi

West-Marches Campaign Herb-Gatherer

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid  Level 12 Philosopher and level 11 Librarian (built on the Monk class, with a training path in The Way of the Cobalt Soul)

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | :: 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 |

Shaman: 82 | 83 | 84

Philosopher-Librarian 85 |:: 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

I am so happy that I just stumbled upon this thread! So happy!

Currently I'm working my way through The Mists of Avalon (again) and I'll probably be reading The Stand to my husband on our drive down to our honeymoon in a few weeks - and then I have a week of leisure and reading to look forward to with all these lovely lists  :rapture:

I am a HUGE Harry Potter nerd!! I also really love Stephen King! But pretty much if it has words I'll read it. I used to work in a used Bookstore and boy oh boy - that was def one of my favorite jobs ever!

• Like 1

I am so happy that I just stumbled upon this thread! So happy!

Currently I'm working my way through The Mists of Avalon (again) and I'll probably be reading The Stand to my husband on our drive down to our honeymoon in a few weeks - and then I have a week of leisure and reading to look forward to with all these lovely lists :rapture:

I am a HUGE Harry Potter nerd!! I also really love Stephen King! But pretty much if it has words I'll read it. I used to work in a used Bookstore and boy oh boy - that was def one of my favorite jobs ever!

This reading list includes basically all my top fiction favourites :) Also Firestar is my son's favourite superhero!

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander (ret.)

Updated Reading list (all going right now)

2 oz backpacker: A problem solving manual for use in the wilds by Robert S. Wood

Sun Tzu of the Art of War

U.S. Army Survival Handbook by Department of the Army

Tom Brown's Field Guide to Wilderness Survival by the author of THE SEARCH and THE TRACKER TOM BROWN, JR. with BRANT MORGAN

United States Air Force Search and Rescue Survival Training AF Regulation 64-4 repreint of department of the air force field manual

Eon by Alison Goodman

Doing alot of reading to prepare myself for enlisting in 3-6 months.

Level 0 Human, Monk

82%
82%
Lose 75 lbs

Startin Fresh

"Nothing is ever easy." Zeddicus Zull Zorander

"Do or Do Not, There is no try" Yoda

"Weak people face life obstacles with an excuse in their hand, strong peple carry a hammer."

Estemated 1RM

Bench: 195lbs

Squat: 245lbs

Deadlift: 295lbs

Total weight: 735lbs

Goal Weight 1000lbs

You may consider yourselves outnerded d578a8b8cabce5b0a010efc7a9154771.jpg

• Like 1

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Just finished Zealot by Reza Aslan and it was worth a read. Really really good. Interesting regardless of what your personal beliefs may be. Now I'm reading outlander and working my way through the Goodreads winners.

Level 1 Dwarven Ranger

STR 0 | DEX 0 | CON | STA 0 | WIS 0 |CHA 0 

Battlelog | NF Character Sheet Template 2.0 (stats system) | NF Character Sheet Template v3.0 (XP system)

(File > Make a Copy), enter your own details, track everything in one place. Please PM me if you have any questions or ideas. 

The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible. - Arthur C Clarke

I'm still stuck on Pride And Prejudice and Zombies, and I am not liking it. Thinking of moving on. I recently tried reading Wicked and couldn't finish it either. :(

The first one seems like a gimmick book and I thought Wicked was dull. Get yourself something better. Life's too short for bad books. I know, I've read two Ayn Rands and I'll never get that time back.
  • Like 4

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

I'm still stuck on Pride And Prejudice and Zombies, and I am not liking it. Thinking of moving on. I recently tried reading Wicked and couldn't finish it either. :(

I'm with 18ck on this, neither book is great to read. I'm not a fan of Austen to start with, so P&P&Z was not much better and felt gimmicky.

As far as Wicked goes, I actually think that Gregory Maguire does a great job of setting up the book structure and developing complex characters, but I find his prose so painful to read. I only finished the book by sheer force of will. I did have a little better luck with one of the sequels as an audio book while riding as a captive audience in my car, but even that took determination.

So, it's not just you!

• Like 2

Current Challenge #39 - 15.02.23  |  Challenges: #38, #29  |  Fitocracy: redtomato501

The first one seems like a gimmick book and I thought Wicked was dull. Get yourself something better. Life's too short for bad books. I know, I've read two Ayn Rands and I'll never get that time back.

Haha. My elective in my last year of double-majoring in Philosophy and English Lit was to study Atlas Shrugged. The only thing that stopped me from throwing it into a roaring fire was the fact that I was reading it on a kindle. I also had to read all of her #^%#&^ theoretical (non-literary) crap, like her mis-named "Romanticism" book and so on, as research on my paper. I chose the elective because I knew it was easier to write an argument against her, but I didn't know it would be that painful. 

NEVER. AGAIN. 

I guess it could be worse, though. 

3qb8m2.jpg

• Like 4

Level 1 Dwarven Ranger

STR 0 | DEX 0 | CON | STA 0 | WIS 0 |CHA 0 

Battlelog | NF Character Sheet Template 2.0 (stats system) | NF Character Sheet Template v3.0 (XP system)

(File > Make a Copy), enter your own details, track everything in one place. Please PM me if you have any questions or ideas. 

The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible. - Arthur C Clarke

[emoji1]

It amazes me that she's so highly regarded in some quarters and whatever grade you got for that course, you deserve double for your suffering alone.

• Like 2