Forums are back in action! ×

April 11, 2021 - Sunday

I'm not saying I'm back, but here's a post.

Updates:

Mental stuff - My brain is medicated; I feel better.  I'm off the ADHD meds though.  As always, I wish I had done this sooner.

COVID stuff - I'm still an undiagnosed long hauler.  After the second vaccine shot things got a lot better.  I can stay awake all day long now, but I'm still sleeping hard and long – 9+ hours which is about twice as much as before I was sick.  I'm still short of breath, but not nearly as bad as before; I haven't tried fitnessing yet.  Environmental triggers (ex. woodsmoke) are still there, but now they make short of breath and don't give me a, for lack of a better word, asthma attack.  I still have an appointment with a pulmonologist.  I assume she won't find anything wrong with me, but I'll continue to improve anyway.

Work stuff: I have a job for next year - 5th grade (11 & 12 year olds).  I was really sweating it because we no longer have seniority job protections and I don't look good on paper* and am a terrible interviewer.  I was actually laid off for a few days until HR decided since my job classification was never updated I couldn't be let go.  I'm working back in the building tomorrow, but it's still Zoom school for one more week.  I have a lot of anxiety about going back, because what if I've forgotten how to teach after all this time.  I'm also excited because I do like my job.

*I'm a licensed elementary teacher, but I've spent the last 13 years teaching middle school science.  Elementary principals usually want to be sure they're getting a solid reading teacher, which I haven't done in forever.  I don't even know what the current acronyms are.  When they bumped me into MS science I was under contract as an elementary teacher and they never changed it.

Fitness stuff: Nope.  I got really fat.  I have 2 big races that I'm still registered for from the before days.  I might be able to pull them off; we'll see when I start riding again.

Nerd stuff: We finally finished our X-Files type game last night.  We'll have a couple of sessions of board games (by zoom somehow) and then 5e D&D.  I'm really excited for that.  I've already rolled up a Tortle Ranger.

Life stuff:  It's our anniversary.  Mrs. Sloth said, let's not get presents or a card even.  That either means she's perfect for me or she's done with me.  I'd give it even chances either way.  Her PTSD kinda freaked out when the Chauvin trial started and she decided to get a month-long air BNB by the beach in Wilmington this summer.  Spending that kind of money freaked me out, but I didn't try to stop her.

That's all I can think of.  Peace out my friends.

• Like 13

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

Thanks for the update. I have been thinking about you and wondering how you are doing. Glad you’re doing better, even if not totally healthy again. Hope you get all the way healthy again, but don’t push too hard at once. Glad you still have a job, hope it all goes smoothly.  Congratulations on the anniversary. A month at a BNB sounds like a terrific belated anniversary, second honeymoon, yes? 

• Like 1

It’s nice to hear from you. It seems like more good news than bad.  I’ll be in Wilmington this summer (the NC one) but only for a day and a half likely. 

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

55 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I'm not saying I'm back, but

sad rabbit GIF

Glad the post-covid breathing is improving. That's the hope, that it keeps getting better. Take the sleep, your body needs it.

• Like 2

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Glad to see you around. I was wondering how you were doing. Have you had the vaccine yet? There were some studies that suggested that the vaccine could actually help people who were dealing with long haul symptoms

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

On 4/12/2021 at 5:34 AM, Sloth the Enduring said:

Life stuff:  It's our anniversary.

Congratulations!  Our anniversary is only on day off from you guys :) 

On 4/12/2021 at 5:34 AM, Sloth the Enduring said:

I have a job for next year

Congratulations, I hope it lasts longer than just for next year, though.

It is great to get an update from you

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

Glad to see the check in even though I have a bit of a late reply!

I'm glad it seems to be getting through all the medical stuff!

As far as the races go you will do what is right for you. I hope that you can do them but don't let it get to you if you cant for a variety of reasons.

Your a bad ass and you will get back to it when you can!

• Like 1

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

I’m sorry I didn’t reply. I could have sworn I had.  

I’m starting to not feel burnt out so I’m going to try to get my life back together, including documenting my fitness here.  Thanks for waiting for me dear reader.  

I’m on summer break.  I brought home a crapton of books to remind me how to teach 5th grade, but I haven’t cracked them yet.  

I went to the pulmonologist.  She put me on some COPD drugs that made the pharmacist say, “Holy shit. I can’t give these to you.” (Paraphrased.)  Finally she talked to my doctor, documented the conversation, and gave them to me.  I’m better on them.  Still not 100% though.  

Last week I went on a ten mile ride slowly and it almost killed me.  I threw up in the middle and saw spots.  Might take me a while to get back in shape.  

Day before yesterday I tried kettleballing.  I did the simple & sinister workout.  Warm up and get ups at 8 kg, swings at 12 kg.  Half the weight I was using before at twice the exertion.  I think Kettlebelling will come back fairly quickly though once I start doing it regular like.  

Yesterday it was raining so I didn’t work out - my stuff is all outdoors now. 

Today I dug a hole, mixed cement, and moved my wood pile from there to here.  I’m calling that a functional workout.  

Peace out nerd friends.  

• Like 13

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

2 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I’m sorry I didn’t reply. I could have sworn I had.  

I’m starting to not feel burnt out so I’m going to try to get my life back together, including documenting my fitness here.  Thanks for waiting for me dear reader.  

Always. No apologies needed, if memory serves you've had quite a difficult year and a half (or so).

It's good to see you again. Welcome back. :) 

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50; Ch 51; Intermission VI

Good to see you, Sloth!!

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 49

2022 challenges:  49 (current)

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I'm glad you're beginning to come back. I've missed you on here.

Saaaaaame.

Yay on the pulmonologist and the good drugs and the kettlebells. Boo on dying on your bike. Take it easier, my guy. Let your lungs chill out for a while.

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

So, I saw that your wife booked a Wilmington trip.  Let me know if you need any recs for stuff to do or not do or avoid...or good bike trails.  :) I'm glad you're starting to feel a bit better about things 

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Human Bard: CON 2, WIS 5, INT 1, CHA 2

Current Challenge: Nova Levels Up (and maybe doesn't abandon a challenge...)

Welcome back, my friend.   Feeling less burnt out is good.  I hope it lasts.  Fitnessing took quite a hit with the lung business.  Sorry to hear that.  Slow and steady and all that jazz.  Enjoy your summer. 

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

Good to see you coming back and good to see the progress back to normal. Keep it up!

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

On 6/27/2021 at 7:37 PM, Scaly Freak said:

Always. No apologies needed, if memory serves you've had quite a difficult year and a half (or so).

It's good to see you again. Welcome back. :) 

I guess a thing or two has happened around here.  

On 6/27/2021 at 8:00 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I'm glad you're beginning to come back. I've missed you on here.

Thanks brother.  

On 6/27/2021 at 8:47 PM, NeverThatBored said:

Good to see you, Sloth!!

Nice seeing you too NTB.  

On 6/27/2021 at 9:19 PM, Elastigirl said:

Welcome back! That's tough on the health recovery. 

Thanks.  I’ve become the old man who takes a handful of pills ? every morning.  

On 6/27/2021 at 9:33 PM, sarakingdom said:

Saaaaaame.

Yay on the pulmonologist and the good drugs and the kettlebells. Boo on dying on your bike. Take it easier, my guy. Let your lungs chill out for a while.

Haha. Thanks.  

On 6/28/2021 at 4:36 AM, Marauder said:

I’m glad things are improving for you. I’m sorry about the bike. I know how much you love it.  It’ll come back with time I’m sure but I know it’s probably frustrating.   Sending all the healing vibes. ❤️

I was glad to see you were around again.  

On 6/28/2021 at 8:01 AM, Novaurora said:

So, I saw that your wife booked a Wilmington trip.  Let me know if you need any recs for stuff to do or not do or avoid...or good bike trails.  :) I'm glad you're starting to feel a bit better about things 

Technically it’s Carolina Beach, but that’s close no?  I don’t think we’ll be doing much besides sitting on the beach since Slothboy is too young for the vaccine.  

I’d be happy to buy you dinner or a drink if you’re around.  I can’t promise I won’t be too socially awkward to actually talk though.  I can promise not to serial kill you though.  

On 6/28/2021 at 8:42 AM, Shello said:

Welcome back, my friend.   Feeling less burnt out is good.  I hope it lasts.  Fitnessing took quite a hit with the lung business.  Sorry to hear that.  Slow and steady and all that jazz.  Enjoy your summer. 

Slow and steady is my whole vibe.  

Thanks.  

On 6/28/2021 at 10:29 AM, cn3wton said:

Good to see you coming back and good to see the progress back to normal. Keep it up!

Thanks brother.  I’m glad you’re around again too.  

On 6/28/2021 at 2:41 PM, Emma said:

Good to hear from you, so very good.

Sorry your health is still fucked up, I hope you get it back sooner rather than later.

Make haste slowly.

Hah. Thanks. 

7 hours ago, KB Girl said:

It’s great to see you! 
did the vaccin help your long COVID symptoms any? 

Yes.  I was a terrible dad for several months.  I’d work, take a nap until dinner, and go to bed.  After the vaccine I was able to stay awake again.  

2 hours ago, EricMN said:

It's good to see you post, brother.

Thanks brother. It’s good to see you here.  

• Like 8