Forums are back in action! ×

Well here you are! And I see I'm not the only one that was looking for a challenge thread :) 

Pizza...wow, it's been two years...

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: Life is not Always SET

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

it's funny how such little things can make a difference in a race - and how much habit keeps us from doing said little things.  

Funny fact - as a kid I was prone to breaking bones for little to no reason.  Once, I was on my bike and NOT moving and I broke my arm.  with both feet on the ground.  

That's not funny, that's horrifying.

Well here you are! And I see I'm not the only one that was looking for a challenge thread :)

Pizza...wow, it's been two years...

Welcome!  Yeah, challenges didn't work for me, writing down a plan seemed to guarantee I wouldn't follow through.

6/8/15 - Monday

15 hilly miles mountain biking.

SlothBoy's official birthday.  We went to Galactic Pizza where the waiter's are superheroes.  A good time was had by all.  The kids got their own pepperoni pizza, but Mrs. Sloth and I shared some fancy-pants pizza.  We debated medium vs. large, the waitress assured us there would be a slice or two left over if we got the medium.  She accidentally brought us a large and we ate the whole thing.

6/9/15 = Tuesday

Crazy busy day.

35 kg KB - 4X1/1 Get Ups

4X5/5 Clean & Press

10X10 1 arm swings

20 easy road miles.  I went out on a midnight ride through the University and downtown.  The city was hopping for a Tuesday night, must be the hot weather.

• Like 1

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

I watched Bizarre Foods America: Minnesota State Fair the other day. Think I'll have to make it up there for that. Gizmos, fresh cheese curds, breaded deep fried pickles dipped in chocolate, foot long hot dogs, and their number one seller chocolate chip cookies. It all looked so good. Have you ever been? Any tips?

I'm excited to hear about your racing. It nice to see how the training (or lack there of) has implications in real life. What happened to your back on race day? Stress? I like seeing you're getting more biking in. It's motivational for me to get up off my butt when I don't feel like doing anything. Looking forward to more racing updates.

• Like 1

Viking Adventurer

Battle Log: Bearlee is ...

I watched Bizarre Foods America: Minnesota State Fair the other day. Think I'll have to make it up there for that. Gizmos, fresh cheese curds, breaded deep fried pickles dipped in chocolate, foot long hot dogs, and their number one seller chocolate chip cookies. It all looked so good. Have you ever been? Any tips?

I'm excited to hear about your racing. It nice to see how the training (or lack there of) has implications in real life. What happened to your back on race day? Stress? I like seeing you're getting more biking in. It's motivational for me to get up off my butt when I don't feel like doing anything. Looking forward to more racing updates.

I love the MN State Fair.  The cheese curds are a must as well as the mashed potatoes on a stick!  Oh - and the big fat bacon on a stick too.  And yes, we used to always get a bucket of the Sweet Martha's cookies.  Now we settle for a cup to share.   :nightmare:

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

That's not funny, that's horrifying.

even worse... that's not the only story of broken bone mishap...  

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

I'd say your neighbor is just jealous of your crazy mad skillZ and can't take watching you any longer... That or they just think you are crazy mad.  

• Like 1

I love the MN State Fair.  The cheese curds are a must as well as the mashed potatoes on a stick!  Oh - and the big fat bacon on a stick too.  And yes, we used to always get a bucket of the Sweet Martha's cookies.  Now we settle for a cup to share.   :nightmare:

Have I ever been to the State Fair? Why not just ask 'Are you really from Wisconsin'?  

The State Fair is awesome.  But plan on ending the day 10,000 calories over budget.  Really.  That's factoring in the hours of walking you'll do.

Some tips: Go early in the week, the fairgrounds get disgusting as the fair goes on, the people start to get crabby, and the good animals go back to the farm.  Try to go on a weekday and try to go early in the day to beat the crowds.  Don't try to park there, the traffic going in is insane, do a park and ride it's really slick.  They sell a coupon book, buy it.  Wear a funny T-Shirt, it's like the uniform.  If you're coming up, it overlaps with the Ren Fest.

As far as food goes, some people eat a hearty breakfast so they're not so hungry (don't do it, you'll eat too much anyway), some people (Lady Shello) buy a thing and share it, I just go with it.  It's like Thanksgiving, you know you're going to eat too much, but it's once a year, just enjoy it.  I do eat a big bowl of oatmeal beforehand to provide some intestinal balance.  Until you develop a tradition of foods you want to eat, it might be a good idea to check out a food guide and figure out what is awesome beforehand.  Also bring lots of water, it'll save tons of money and 10,000 calories.  The International Bazaar has some healthyish options if you're interested.

Here's my list: fry bread, Scotch egg with horseradish, whatever the dairy guild is giving away, Swedish coffee, Pronto Pup (not a corn dog), tacos, ice cream from the future (aka dipping dots), fried gator, fried pickles, turkey leg or pork chop on a stick with a Leininkugels, cookies (depends on the line), cheese curds and probably more.  My list will have to change some this year  :blue:  That seems like a lot, and it is, but we're there from sunup to sundown.

And welcome back BearLee.  I hope your life is calmer from here on out.

• Like 1

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Are you really from Wisconsin? And is there anything else to do at the fair than eat? Not that I care, I only really want to go for the food, but might need something else in between to let me digest.

Is the Ren Fest only on weekends like it is here in KC? Perhaps I'll have to make a weekend trip to Ren Faire and weekday to State Fair.

As far as the neighbor putting up a privacy fence, you live in the heart of Luthern land. You should be happy that's the least he did. Not so many years ago you would have been shunned out of the town and thought of as dead to the community. I don't know how vikings went from concouring half (sometimes fully) naked, blood thristy, warriors to whatever Minnesotans are now. Got a kick out of Bizarre Foods America when Andrew Zimmer said that Minnesotans are risk adverse foodies and that lefse is living on the edge for them.

Viking Adventurer

Are you really from Wisconsin? And is there anything else to do at the fair than eat? Not that I care, I only really want to go for the food, but might need something else in between to let me digest.

There's the giant slide and the rides.  There's also a few thrill rides.  When I was a teenager, the fair was where I bungee jumped.  There's also lots of shopping to be done and some cool things for kids.  

This year we are going the last weekend in August for the 5k at the Fair and then we'll hit the Mall of America for the zip lining and the ropes course.  

I'd say your neighbor is just jealous of your crazy mad skillZ and can't take watching you any longer... That or they just think you are crazy mad.

On retrospect I think he can't stand watching any more glute bridges.

• Like 1

Is the Ren Fest only on weekends like it is here in KC? Perhaps I'll have to make a weekend trip to Ren Faire and weekday to State Fair.

As far as the neighbor putting up a privacy fence, you live in the heart of Luthern land. You should be happy that's the least he did. Not so many years ago you would have been shunned out of the town and thought of as dead to the community. I don't know how vikings went from concouring half (sometimes fully) naked, blood thristy, warriors to whatever Minnesotans are now. Got a kick out of Bizarre Foods America when Andrew Zimmer said that Minnesotans are risk adverse foodies and that lefse is living on the edge for them.

No I am not from Wisconsin. You are relegated back to nemesis!

The food and the tradition are the big draws. We always go into the livestock barns, see the fish at the DNR building, see music, go on a couple of rides, climb on the tractors and trucks at machinery hill, check out the crafts, see the alternative energy exhibits, most folks shop under the grandstand. There's lots more, it ends up being about a million dollar day.

Ren Fest is weekends only. I'll probably go 8/22 to see the Highland Games, but that's before the fair starts. The best weekend is the first weekend of the fair. The crowds are down and it is still early so the performers are enthusiastic. My wife hates it, let me know when you're coming we can meet up.

There are two different types of eaters in MN, the type that use ketchup on their nachos because mild salsa is too spicy and those who are all about the ethnic foods. There are lots of good options in the Twin Cities. If you want a taste of bland MN go to one of the church eateries at the fair.

I have a theory about the Vikings. The Warriors colonized Ice Land, GreenLand, northern Scotland, Russia and the farmers stayed home and eventually moved to the Midwest with their cows.

• Like 1

Did you grow up thinking the universe hated you? I can't even imagine.

Basically, yeah.  It's no wonder i struggle with fitness.  I have these endless internal visions of me falling and getting hurt

Vaulting_edbf82_2891721.gif

Nah, I think it was one frog stretch too many.

That would do it. 

• Like 1

6/10/15 Wednesday.

16 miles mountain biking on a twisty course. I nearly ran in to a turtle, deer, and turkey. The turtle peed on me when I moved him off the trail and the turkey projectile shat when it ran off and got it on my front tire.

I kept it at a medium pace so I wouldn't be too beat up to race today, but we have a thunderstorm rolling in and the race will be cancelled.

We're going camping for two or three weeks in the U.P. starting Monday. For a bike I'm bringing my single-speed winter beater, but I don't know what to bring for a fitness implement - sandbag or Kettlebell. 0080cc202307fa954876ed729f9e6c31.jpg

This guy, he did it. Yeah, you better hide Buddy.

We're going camping for two or three weeks in the U.P. starting Monday. For a bike I'm bringing my single-speed winter beater, but I don't know what to bring for a fitness implement - sandbag or Kettlebell. 

if you will be camping for 2 or 3 weeks I would bring both.  Unless space is an issue - then go with KB. 

Buwahaha so I'm a nemesis now. And why are you wondering what to take camping for a workout? Won't you be in the woods? Push over some trees and lift up some rocks. If you want a tool to take why don't you take an axe so you can get a workout in and make firewood? Or a spade to dig a latrine? Or a backpack to put junk in and walk around? Just follow your kids around and do what they do, I'm sure that will wear you out. Or have you thought about doing body weight workouts? Push ups in the dirt and pull up from branches. Find a big log and lift it over your head. Which workout equipment? Your ancestors would be so disappointed to hear you say that.

• Like 3

Viking Adventurer

OK.  I retract my answer and now agree with Bearlee, a true viking at heart.  At least he didn't tell you to go pillage the other campsites as a workout.  

• Like 2

if you will be camping for 2 or 3 weeks I would bring both.  Unless space is an issue - then go with KB. 

Makes sense.  I have a little Subaru, space is an issue once I put four or five bikes on top, a trailer or two in the hatch, a cooler and Bang.  No space.  We take a 13' camper, but space is a premium there too.  Maybe if I eject the hammock and my camp chair.  I can always sit in a third world squat and lay on the yoga mat.  Naked Yoga in the woods, it's gonna happen :rapture:

Buwahaha so I'm a nemesis now. And why are you wondering what to take camping for a workout? Won't you be in the woods? Push over some trees and lift up some rocks. If you want a tool to take why don't you take an axe so you can get a workout in and make firewood? Or a spade to dig a latrine? Or a backpack to put junk in and walk around? Just follow your kids around and do what they do, I'm sure that will wear you out. Or have you thought about doing body weight workouts? Push ups in the dirt and pull up from branches. Find a big log and lift it over your head. Which workout equipment? Your ancestors would be so disappointed to hear you say that.

Jeesh, what got you cheesed off?  Is it because I suggested that your ancestors conquered the plaines of Kansas with a hoe and not with a battleaxe?  Don't worry about it, your's chased mine off our land with those hoes and pitch forks.  Here's a plan for you, go to the hardware store, get some lettuce seeds, use that hoe your great-grand-daddy passed down to you and eat a damn salad.

Here's a true story for you: about 40 years ago my grandmother told me we were part Norwegian.  Her Great, great grandfgather was found along a wagon path when he was just a wee lad.  They didn't know how he got there - fell off the wagon, wandered off, purposely left because he was annoying?  They tried to catch up, but didn't, so they raised him as their own.  This would have been before Wisconsin, or more likely Minnesota, was a state and the only white folks they knew were French traders and the crazy Norwegians who cleared tree to make farms.  Since he didn't speak French it became family lore that we had Norwegian blood.  I think that's why my uncle followed the Vikings and not the Packers.  Anyway, my Auntie/cousin(?) corrected my Grandma, "No Auntie, his name was Connor, he must have been Irish."  Maybe we're kin folk.

OK.  I retract my answer and now agree with Bearlee, a true viking at heart.  At least he didn't tell you to go pillage the other campsites as a workout.  

Don't encourage him.

• Like 2

Oh My God, Oh My God, Oh My God.  Am I excited like a little schoolgirl?  Yes, I am!  My wife changed plans, we're now camping right outside Copper Harbor, home to the best Mountain Biking in the Midwest!!!!!  Oh man, oh man, oh man. I wonder if I can get a suspension fork by Sunday?

This song expresses my glee.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn8GcxQ7NTc

Wait a minute.  Is it worrisome that my wife is being so accommodating?  Is she going to drop the bomb when we get back?  New boyfriend, she's pregnant, she's leaving, or worse, we're going vegetarian?

• Like 1

Wow.  Never seen you this excited before.  She needs to do this more often.  Perhaps she made the change so you would be pre-occupied and wouldn't be embarrassing her with naked yoga in the woods.  

Makes sense.  I have a little Subaru, space is an issue once I put four or five bikes on top, a trailer or two in the hatch, a cooler and Bang.  No space.  We take a 13' camper, but space is a premium there too.  Maybe if I eject the hammock and my camp chair.  I can always sit in a third world squat and lay on the yoga mat.  Naked Yoga in the woods, it's gonna happen :rapture:

Jeesh, what got you cheesed off?  Is it because I suggested that your ancestors conquered the plaines of Kansas with a hoe and not with a battleaxe?  Don't worry about it, your's chased mine off our land with those hoes and pitch forks.  Here's a plan for you, go to the hardware store, get some lettuce seeds, use that hoe your great-grand-daddy passed down to you and eat a damn salad.

Here's a true story for you: about 40 years ago my grandmother told me we were part Norwegian.  Her Great, great grandfgather was found along a wagon path when he was just a wee lad.  They didn't know how he got there - fell off the wagon, wandered off, purposely left because he was annoying?  They tried to catch up, but didn't, so they raised him as their own.  This would have been before Wisconsin, or more likely Minnesota, was a state and the only white folks they knew were French traders and the crazy Norwegians who cleared tree to make farms.  Since he didn't speak French it became family lore that we had Norwegian blood.  I think that's why my uncle followed the Vikings and not the Packers.  Anyway, my Auntie/cousin(?) corrected my Grandma, "No Auntie, his name was Connor, he must have been Irish."  Maybe we're kin folk.

Don't encourage him.

I was going to suggest a compromise - no pillaging, bring the KB and an axe for some wood chopping and then do some naked yoga in the woods.  But it looks like you'll have you hands full with the biking now.  

Worse, going vegetarian xD That made me laugh out loud. 

Seriously though, if you're near a mountain bike heaven then there is no need for either sandbag or kettlebell? Otherwise I vote kb ofc.

thanks for the explanation on the HR graph. It's definitely interesting data. Wouldn't mind having something like that for my athletes, now all I have is counts we do in between sets.

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram