Forums are back in action! ×

How long has it been since my first attempt at a Nerd Fitness challenge? Too long.

When I started my first challenge back in May(?) of 2014, I bit off more than I could chew. I wrote an almost-epic story for my alter ego, posted daily and commented on everyone's posts. I checked for updates to my posts constantly and then compulsively refreshed some more, just for good measure. Maybe someone replied in the last 30 seconds?

I overdid it on the community and logging aspects of NF, and inverse ratio'd the number and effectiveness of my workouts as the challenge progressed. Pretty soon, I became upset at myself - missing one workout became akin to failure. Missing two workouts? I felt like I couldn't show my face on the boards. I let my fear of failure get out of hand, so much so that even when I received encouraging posts from others in the community to get back on the horse, I felt discouraged. I unsubscribed from receiving notifications, blacked out my memory of password for the Rebellion boards and let minor muscle soreness become an excuse for not working out.

Yes, I could have stuck with the challenge, but I checked out of the Nerd Fitness community altogether. I remember feeling justified in my desertion, thinking that I could get more done without a mutual support network. I did continue my training, but it was sporadic at best. I lost 10 pounds rapidly in October, for example, only to gain an injury in November during a half marathon I under-trained for. Since then, I've gained the weight back, plus a few pounds.

It turns out that I need Nerd Fitness.

I need to respawn and not let myself get caught up in my all-or-nothing attitude from 2014.

I need to forgive myself for being human. #sorryfortherambling #I'monlyhuman

• Like 3

Level 0 | Amazon | Class = ???

STR: 0 | DEX: 0 | STA: 0 | CON: 0 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 0

LJ Diet Blog

"Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable." - Helen Keller

Welcome back. I did something similar, my job situation changed in the middle of a challenge, seriously interrupted workouts, and I was gone for two years. Coming back has been great, and I bet your experience will be the same. You can do this, just keep it simple and do your best.

In light of your return, I suggest the following re-frame on a couple of your comments.

I need to respawn have respawned and am not letting myself get caught up in my all-or-nothing attitude from 2014.

I need to forgive myself for being human. #sorryfortherambling #I'monlyhuman

Glad you're back.

• Like 3

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

You got this! I'm in a similar position. I'm not doing one of the challenges right now because I just want to make sure I can manage to keep up the message boards and accountability, but I want to one day soon. 

• Like 1

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Becomes Her Own Hero

Jedi Battle Log

“Keep Calm, Carry On, and Don't Freeze Up!”

- Oboro Shirakumo (Loud Cloud), My Hero Academia Vigilantes

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10#11#12#13#14#15#16, #17#18#19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33,  #34#35#36#37#38#39#40#41#42#43#44, #45#46#47#48#49#50#51#52#53#54#55#56#57#58#59#60#61#62#63

You got this! I'm in a similar position. I'm not doing one of the challenges right now because I just want to make sure I can manage to keep up the message boards and accountability, but I want to one day soon. 

Thanks! Based on my prior experience, I think you've got a good idea, there. I've just decided to limit my visitation of the boards. I still want to support everyone else - and plan to! - but realize that I let the social aspect of it get the better of me. I hope to see you in a future challenge!

Level 0 | Amazon | Class = ???

STR: 0 | DEX: 0 | STA: 0 | CON: 0 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 0

LJ Diet Blog

"Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable." - Helen Keller

Thanks! Based on my prior experience, I think you've got a good idea, there. I've just decided to limit my visitation of the boards. I still want to support everyone else - and plan to! - but realize that I let the social aspect of it get the better of me. I hope to see you in a future challenge!

Same here! Let me know when you're planning on doing a challenge next, I might try to join one with you!

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Becomes Her Own Hero

Jedi Battle Log

“Keep Calm, Carry On, and Don't Freeze Up!”

- Oboro Shirakumo (Loud Cloud), My Hero Academia Vigilantes

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10#11#12#13#14#15#16, #17#18#19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33,  #34#35#36#37#38#39#40#41#42#43#44, #45#46#47#48#49#50#51#52#53#54#55#56#57#58#59#60#61#62#63

I am also an all or nothing kind of person, so I had to make a conscious effort not to get swept up in the forums and logging. I log once, sometimes twice a week, in my challenge thread and I don't keep an online battle log because I record my workouts and food details manually. I keep in touch with my Accountabillibuddie group and with my guild where my mini's are set. I might spend up to an hour, sometimes two hours, a week checking other posts throughout the forums.

I'm not sure if it would help or hinder you, only you can decide, but have you thought about making your contributions to the community and forums, and your logging, a part of your challenge? Like only logging your challenge a certain number of times per week, or only allowing yourself a certain number of replies to posts, or a particular amount of time per week dedicated to NF? Is that something that might help?

Looking forward to seeing you respawn and following along with your journey :)

• Like 1

Level 2 | Adventurer | Lycan

Little by little, a little becomes a lot. 

How the story begins..     Doodlie Buddies

Challenge 1   Challenge 2

Str: 1      Dex: -       Sta: 4       Cha: 1       Con: 5       Wis:  4