Forums are back in action! ×

Not even sure I can now

I've been a Nerd Fitness member for a while but have gone back and forth on making use of the knowledge gained here. But recently I've gained 10 more pounds and try paleo (because I like it) but am always hungry. Plus we don't have a microwave or fridge at work and the cafeteria  food isn't always that great. And I work a lot so by the time I'm done with work I'm pooped. I really don't want to get any bigger because I have a serious gut now. But nothing I've remotely tried to do has had me shed a pound in a long time. At wits end. Any help/guidance/encouragement. At 45 I think I may be done for :(

33 minutes ago, aloha_steph said:

I've been a Nerd Fitness member for a while but have gone back and forth on making use of the knowledge gained here. But recently I've gained 10 more pounds and try paleo (because I like it) but am always hungry. Plus we don't have a microwave or fridge at work and the cafeteria  food isn't always that great. And I work a lot so by the time I'm done with work I'm pooped. I really don't want to get any bigger because I have a serious gut now. But nothing I've remotely tried to do has had me shed a pound in a long time. At wits end. Any help/guidance/encouragement. At 45 I think I may be done for :(

First and foremost- You're never done for <3 There's always hope!

About Paleo- How many calories are you eating? Are you eating enough protein? I tried paleo a couple of times, but as a college student I couldn't afford it. Besides, I wasn't a huge fan of the whole thing. But my biggest problem was that I wasn't eating enough protein and good fats and thus was STARVING 24/7. Personally, I put a few healthy grains in my diet (wheat bread, brown rice, red potatoes, oatmeal) and some legumes (chili with beans, ect), and dairy (cheese, milk in my oatmeal, milk in my tea) but that's what works for me. If Paleo is better for you, I'd say make sure you're eating enough protein, and with paleo you can eat essentially however much food as long as you're not overdoing the fats(nuts) and sugar (fruit)

About a lack of fridge or microwave at work- I'd say do what you can with the cafeteria food, and bring healthy snacks that will keep like nuts, apples, bananas, trail mix, avocados, ect. Here are some fruits and veggies that don't need refrigeration that you can bring/keep with you at work! And here is someone with a problem whose answers can be applied to your problem with food. If you eat what you can in the cafeteria, and bring a bunch of fruits and veggies to snack, you should be alright.

And experiment with what kinds of leftovers won't go bad in a lunch box. Room temp food can taste fairly okay if you try it that way at home first and see what you like. If you don't mind cold food (certain meal foods are delicious cold to me- I'm looking at you, pizza ._.), then ice packs in your lunch box might help for things like salads or meats. You can also use ice packs to keep veggies and such cold. Veggies and hummus is delicious!

If you start with getting your diet in the shape you want it, then later you can tackle the problem of being so exhausted after work you can't work out. Your diet is the most important thing!

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Becomes Her Own Hero

Jedi Battle Log

“Keep Calm, Carry On, and Don't Freeze Up!”

- Oboro Shirakumo (Loud Cloud), My Hero Academia Vigilantes

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10#11#12#13#14#15#16, #17#18#19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33,  #34#35#36#37#38#39#40#41#42#43#44, #45#46#47#48#49#50#51#52#53#54#55#56#57#58#59#60#61#62#63

3 hours ago, aloha_steph said:

I've been a Nerd Fitness member for a while but have gone back and forth on making use of the knowledge gained here. But recently I've gained 10 more pounds and try paleo (because I like it) but am always hungry. Plus we don't have a microwave or fridge at work and the cafeteria  food isn't always that great. And I work a lot so by the time I'm done with work I'm pooped. I really don't want to get any bigger because I have a serious gut now. But nothing I've remotely tried to do has had me shed a pound in a long time. At wits end. Any help/guidance/encouragement. At 45 I think I may be done for

*cracks knuckles*  Alright, let's do this.

First off, I'm not sure if you can swing it, but can you bring a mini-fridge to where you work?  I'm assuming you work in a cubicle, but if not, consider investing in an insulated lunch box, or a gel-insulated lunch bag you can throw in the freezer at home.  I've used both, and they both work great.  Depending on if you drive to work or not, the lunch bag will probably be more your speed (it takes up much less space).

Second, I know what it's like to get off work, and not want to do anything.  Work's over, I've earned this downtime, and I want to enjoy it.  That's why I work out in the mornings.  I get up about 2 hours early to go workout, because I know that later, I won't want to.  The best time to work out, is whenever.  Just do something, ANYTHING!

Third, remember you are a snowflake.  You are unique, just like the rest of us, so maybe your body doesn't react well to a paleo diet.  If it doesn't that's fine, try eating something else.  Learn to listen to your body, and how it reacts to different food.  Just don't kid yourself when it comes to food; just because cookies are "low in fat" doesn't mean you can eat the whole bag.  And if you're always hungry, you might not be eating enough.  More veggies!  More meat!  Also, since you don't have a lot of time to cook I'm assuming, get a crock pot.  It's literally set, and forget.  And the recipes for it are super simple.  One I like to do is take a boneless chicken breast, cover it in salsa, and cook it on low for 8 hours.  Come back, shred it with two forks, and suddenly you've got chicken for burritos, taco salads, whatever.  There's nothing like being tired, and coming home to a nice, hot meal.

And fourth, don't ever get discouraged, EVER.  You need to realize that you are not perfect.  You will fail, we all do, but if your reason for getting healthy is important enough to you (your big "WHY"), then nothing should stop you from reaching it.  Yes it will be hard, yes it will be unpleasant, yes it will make you uncomfortable sometimes, but if you're tired of starting over, then stop giving up.  Don't let your emotional state detract you from becoming the awesome bad-ass you were meant to be.  Remember who you are, who you're becoming, and what you're capable of.

Strength be with you friend.  Now go forth, and kick some ass.

• Like 2

Level 4

Character Sheet | Current Challenge |

| Past Challenges | #1 | #2 | #3#4 |
Educate - Entertain - Inspire

12 minutes ago, Bob the Barbarian said:

One I like to do is take a boneless chicken breast, cover it in salsa, and cook it on low for 8 hours.  Come back, shred it with two forks, and suddenly you've got chicken for burritos, taco salads, whatever.  

You have inspired me, friend. College = no spare time

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Becomes Her Own Hero

Jedi Battle Log

“Keep Calm, Carry On, and Don't Freeze Up!”

- Oboro Shirakumo (Loud Cloud), My Hero Academia Vigilantes

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10#11#12#13#14#15#16, #17#18#19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33,  #34#35#36#37#38#39#40#41#42#43#44, #45#46#47#48#49#50#51#52#53#54#55#56#57#58#59#60#61#62#63

Oh the amount of things you can do with chicken and a crock pot is ridiculous.  Last week, I took 3 chicken breasts, added a large can of cream of chicken soup (that's the contents of the can, plus 1 can of water), cooked for 8 hours low.  It was really soupy, so my wife added some rice, cooked it for another hour.  Then, I waited for it to cool, and packed it in containers with frozen peas, carrots, and broccoli.

The next day, holy crap!  It was like a chicken pot pie, minus the crust.

Level 4

Character Sheet | Current Challenge |

| Past Challenges | #1 | #2 | #3#4 |
Educate - Entertain - Inspire