Forums are back in action! ×

Ah, here I am again

I actually joined NF last summer and held on till the end of the year. Then life happened, I've gained back all the weight I lost last plus some. I really enjoyed the NF challenges it made such a positive impact in my life so I'm back

I'm 30, a project engineer in construction. Getting used to my first 100% desk job, ever.  I had gastric bypass surgery when I was 16 and at my highest weight (415 and 4'11" I'm 5'3" now). My parents were doing what they thought was best for me at the time, not my preferred choice but it saved my life. I'm proud that I've been able to keep off almost 150lbs for ten years, trying to hit the 200lbs lost overall mark. 

Since I'm now bound to a desk, I'm trying to go to the gym more and be more active in general. Also desk life means diet is way more important than it was before. When I spent 2-3 days climbing through basements and attics, I had a little more portion leeway. I'm taking a break from hard liquor, (8 days so far), and start prepping more healthy meals.

Exercise-wise: I enjoy dance(tap and jazz), want to get into it more(hula, pole dance,etc.) as my balance and flexibility improve.  I'm a pedestrian in Oakland, CA (San Francisco area). At the gym I mostly use the rowing machine and do strength (free weights/body weight <-NF helped me stop using machines). I like hiking, want to do that more.

Nerd-wise: Being an engineer I nerd out on my work (interior/exterior lighting, building science), history. I love documentaries. Also into anime (magic girl, mystery, etc.) and games (Dominion, Top Secret, Settlers, Tropico(PC)). 

Glad to be back!

• Like 1

Battle Log | Current Challenge | Instagram

"...You must always keep the star in your heart
shining strong to defeat the dark and evil souls." - Queen Serenity

On 7/1/2016 at 3:12 PM, RandMart said:

Welcome home!

As a fellow cube-dweller, let me sympathize with the struggle of desk life. There is a saying floating about that "Sitting is the new Smoking." I have a FitBit and make sure to get up and log a few hundred steps every couple hours

Being an engineer [and, working at Lockheed, I know dozens] can you get your work-space reconfigured with a standing desk? My cellmate ... um, cubemate has one and she swears by it

Finally: I once dated a girl who knew all six dances - Ballet, Jazz, and Tap; Pole, Couch, and Lap

Although, the B-52s say  there are sixteen [although they only name ten]

Yea, the fitbit has been helping. Desk life is kinda awful. I'm really hoping as time goes on I can start doing some photometrics or something to get out of my cage.

I have one of those hydraulic desks that I can move up and down throughout the day. I just gotta start using it more...Oooh I think I found a quest for the next challenge!

• Like 1

I too am bound to a desk. Not a cube, but a desk. I have a few pointers that might help with the desk life!

I park a little bit further from work than I strictly /need/ to so that I have to get some extra walking time in.

My workplace is located very close to a walking outdoor mall/shopping center sort of place. At the opposite end from me, there's a concert pavilion that puts out tables and chairs where I can eat lunch during the day. I walk down there and walk back on my lunch break. Maybe finding somewhere you can go to with your lunch to 1) get outside and 2) get walking?

I started out with a more realistic step goal. I left the FitBit goal at 10k steps, but I try to get 6k each day- which is more than I was easily getting on a daily basis earlier on in the summer. Some days I do laps through my house, but I do try to get those steps. Once you build those steps more easily into your routine, then you can increase it.

Hope this helps!

• Like 2

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Becomes Her Own Hero

Jedi Battle Log

“Keep Calm, Carry On, and Don't Freeze Up!”

- Oboro Shirakumo (Loud Cloud), My Hero Academia Vigilantes

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10#11#12#13#14#15#16, #17#18#19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33,  #34#35#36#37#38#39#40#41#42#43#44, #45#46#47#48#49#50#51#52#53#54#55#56#57#58#59#60#61#62#63

27 minutes ago, TheGreyJedi-Ranger said:

I too am bound to a desk. Not a cube, but a desk. I have a few pointers that might help with the desk life!

I park a little bit further from work than I strictly /need/ to so that I have to get some extra walking time in.

My workplace is located very close to a walking outdoor mall/shopping center sort of place. At the opposite end from me, there's a concert pavilion that puts out tables and chairs where I can eat lunch during the day. I walk down there and walk back on my lunch break. Maybe finding somewhere you can go to with your lunch to 1) get outside and 2) get walking?

I started out with a more realistic step goal. I left the FitBit goal at 10k steps, but I try to get 6k each day- which is more than I was easily getting on a daily basis earlier on in the summer. Some days I do laps through my house, but I do try to get those steps. Once you build those steps more easily into your routine, then you can increase it.

Hope this helps!

Thanks I appreciate the tips!

My workplace is so different from the neighborhood I worked at for the past 4+ years (over 3 jobs (some contract positions, I'm not that flighty))   My old office window overlooked the park, my new office window overlooks a liquor store. That about sums it up. lol.  It mostly just fast food, warehouses, and slightly shady homeless people. Nowhere to eat my lunch, but I am still trying to walk around a bit.

Our office has a no food in the private offices (carpet) rule and a lounge, and fairly flex with us moving around the common areas. So I've been trying to do that, work in different spots, so I move around a bit more.

With a little effort, I can hit 10k fairly easily. I'm a pedestrian with a complicated commute so there's a lot of walking to buses and trains. Still it's a good idea to shoot for a goal when I know that's not gonna happen.

• Like 1

Makes sense!

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Becomes Her Own Hero

Jedi Battle Log

“Keep Calm, Carry On, and Don't Freeze Up!”

- Oboro Shirakumo (Loud Cloud), My Hero Academia Vigilantes

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10#11#12#13#14#15#16, #17#18#19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33,  #34#35#36#37#38#39#40#41#42#43#44, #45#46#47#48#49#50#51#52#53#54#55#56#57#58#59#60#61#62#63