Forums are back in action! ×

Calling all writers!

Cross-posting from my Challenge Thread:

The 6th Annual John Harris Fiction Award.

I thought I had until the end of May to submit my story, but I have until the end of April. In a bit of a panic last night, since I didn't even have a good idea for a story yet, just some vague notions, and now I have only two weeks to pump out (up to) 20,000 words of fiction.  So, in about an hour and I half, I sat down and just stream-of-consciousness pounded out about 2200 words for an outline of a small-town horror story I'm tentatively calling "A Nice Place To Stay". 

I will be submitting my story, going to bed, picking up my mother-in-law from the airport, and then going to Iceland.  Gonna be a wierd weekend!  :D

• Like 1

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

I'm a contracted writer for a small video game company. The deadlines are really tight, but I do enjoy the work a lot.

I also write fictional stuff on the side. I've had a couple of poems published and also have done small-scale (5000 words or so) writing commissions in the past.

• Like 1
Satyr Assassin

Level: 1

STR: 1 -- DEX: 2 -- STA: 3 -- CON: 3 -- WIS: 1 -- CHA: 2

Challenges: Recruit 1

WOO, got my story in! It seems bland to me, in hindsight, but still proud I actually submitted ACTUAL WRITING for SOMETHING for, like, the first time ever.  *yays*

• Like 3

I love writing, in fact, one of my goals this challenge is to finish a Fantasy story and record it as a podcast.

http://scrawlcreatelive.tumblr.com

@scrawlingwriter- Twitter Scrawlingwriter- Instagram Scrawlingwriter. Com

Current Challenge:http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/71377-The-ABCs-of-Hogwarts-School-of-Witchcraft-and-Wizardry

Lvl. 4 Assassin

STR =3.50 DEX =4.75 STA=5.00

CON =2.55 WIS =5.00 CHA=1.50

So I'm REALLLLLLY late to the party here.  I've been "writing" things in my head for years, but never put anything on paper until a few days ago when a fellow NF writer inspired me to give it a shot.  

Currently, I'm writing within the Star Wars Universe about a character I made with the intent to Cosplay, just to get a feel for it and get my feet wet.  If it works out, I'm sure I'll branch out into something a little more original.  

• Like 1

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Hi folks, I just discovered this thread. I'm a self-publishing author of dark/urban fantasy :) I write about shape shifters, demons and fae. You can check out my website here: http://hblyne.com

I'm actually about to launch a crowdfunder to pay for my publishing costs of my next book, so if any generous nerds would like to chip in a little contribution that would be really awesome :)

• Like 2

Battle Log - Record from the Front Lines

http://hblyne.com

This thread is amazing :) I just finished draft one of my first modern fantasy/YA novel and it's located on Wattpad. I can provide the link if anyone is interested in reading it. Currently I'm doing reread round one before edits round one. Once I'm done myself I'm going to hand it off to a couple of people and let them make suggestions.

I also write a lot of fanfic on Fanfiction.net, but had to take a bunch down and went one hiatus after some drama with someone being obnoxious about my songfics(and by obnoxious I mean they were threatening to report me to the site and someone else told me they'd reported me to the 'copyright holder of the song'.). I'm now on the blacklist of the self-appointed fanfic police so I left completely.

Luckily, it didn't kill my writing ambition. Actually, switching to Wattpad ensured my first draft of my novel went from four chapters to 20 within two weeks or so. 

But yeah. If you wanna read my novel, Lady of Light, let me know and I'll post the link for the story. I think you can still read without an account but I'd have to look into it.

• Like 1

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Becomes Her Own Hero

Jedi Battle Log

“Keep Calm, Carry On, and Don't Freeze Up!”

- Oboro Shirakumo (Loud Cloud), My Hero Academia Vigilantes

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10#11#12#13#14#15#16, #17#18#19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33,  #34#35#36#37#38#39#40#41#42#43#44, #45#46#47#48#49#50#51#52#53#54#55#56#57#58#59#60#61#62#63

If anyone is interested, here's the mostly-terrible story I wrote on short notice for a literary fiction contest up here.  This is pretty much the first thing I ever wrote to actually SUBMIT for review.  I didn't win, obviously, but it would be cool to get some feedback.  

I've posted it a few places I frequent, and while it's gotten downloads, no-one has said anything about it, so there's every chance it's just so terrible that no-one wants to say anything. 

salsvalley.pdf

... also, I've never heard of Wattpad.  Now considering that might be an interesting place to post fanfics-in-progress (though a quick browse seems to indicate there's a LOT of terrible fanfic on there. Wheee!)

• Like 1

If anyone is interested, here's the mostly-terrible story I wrote on short notice for a literary fiction contest up here.  This is pretty much the first thing I ever wrote to actually SUBMIT for review.  I didn't win, obviously, but it would be cool to get some feedback.  

I've posted it a few places I frequent, and while it's gotten downloads, no-one has said anything about it, so there's every chance it's just so terrible that no-one wants to say anything. 

attachicon.gifsalsvalley.pdf

... also, I've never heard of Wattpad.  Now considering that might be an interesting place to post fanfics-in-progress (though a quick browse seems to indicate there's a LOT of terrible fanfic on there. Wheee!)

That was in fact both terrifying and amazing. I did not expect that twist at the end, I'm super impressed! Your writing skills are great!

And Wattpad has horrible fanfic mostly. I've found like two good ones total. The novels are excellent sometimes though.

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Battle Log

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10#11#12#13#14#15#16, #17#18#19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33,  #34#35#36#37#38#39#40#41#42#43#44, #45#46#47#48#49#50#51#52#53#54#55#56#57#58#59#60#61#62#63

New to the party here. Hi! *waves*

I write fantasy novels. I have one that was published by a small house that unfortunately has since gone out of business, but I retained the rights, so the ebooks are still available. I'm currently working on another project that I've been fighting with for just over half my life now. Lol

• Like 2

attachicon.gifsalsvalley.pdf

It's a very good effort.  Not terrible at all.  You did a great job of describing an old guy and his small town.  That part was great.

But it needs some revision.  I found numerous typos, way too many adjectives, and it took 8 pages just to get the story started.  So ... clean up the prose and trim it down, and it'll be even awesomer.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

New to the party here. Hi! *waves*

I write fantasy novels. I have one that was published by a small house that unfortunately has since gone out of business, but I retained the rights, so the ebooks are still available. I'm currently working on another project that I've been fighting with for just over half my life now. Lol

I'm letting some humans I know help me out with some editing, then I'm going to hopefully try to publish my YA fantasy novel that I've finished the first and second drafts of.

Yay for fantasy!

• Like 1

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Battle Log

Hey all!  

I'm new to Nerd Fitness, but I am a writer by trade, so it was cool to see this thread.  I've primarily made my living writing feature screenplays and television - but my big love is novels.  Since I was a kid, I've wanted to be a sci-fi fantasy author and write books like the ones that inspired me.  Been slowly working on a novel, urban fantasy - but it's been hard to find time to write something for myself.  Everytime I try NaNoWriMo or Camp NaNoWriMo - #life happens.  I like what vitzy said about scheduling writing like scheduling gym time.  I'm a horrible procrastinator though.  Hence why I'm scrawling NF boards and not writing...

• Like 1

MY FRIENDS

WHO ELSE DOTH NANO THIS YEAR, WHILE ALSO CHALLENGING THE NOV 2 SIX-WEEKER?

I'm thinking about it...but I do not have a solid concept for a story yet. 

Level 38 Lupine Pirate = STR: 98 || DEX: 91 || STA: 102 || CON: 76 || WIS: 88 || CHA: 75

Current Challenge: 

Past Challenge List: Challenges 1-38

Battle Log: Battle On, Eli!

"You're the best kind of crazy." -Murphy, Dresden Files

"That's wolves for ya; good guys!" -Wolf, 10th Kingdom