Forums are back in action! ×

The Minimalism Game - 30 Days to Less Stuff! [Sept. 14 - Oct. 13, 2015]

10d6666b3fe4cc2cb46c8c35bd4826aa.jpg

Today's 15

Dog shampoo - we can just use soap to clean the dachshund

Fancy-ass non-sulphur red shampoo -- I haven't used shampoo in over a year. I don't need to keep a bottle 'just in case' someone needs it.

Face scrub I haven't touched since I moved here.

Foot scrub I maybe looked at once.

A foot brush I haven't thought about in years.

A holder from our new toothbrush heads I was planning on keeping 'just in case' and because it's a nice holder.

5 more nail polishes.

Ancient powder compact.

Eyeshadow duo in shades I don't like.

Face soap - also haven't used that in over a year.

The bath poufy that's been stained pink from hard water and I'm totally afraid to touch.

Sent on dragon wing

Are you a no-poo-er? What do you use instead? I'd love to be able to ditch shampoo, but I haven't figured anything out that works for me yet.

• Like 1

Day 6: A couple of old ratty comics and four magazines.

Day 7: Seven magazines into recycling.

I used to have a weekly/monthly magazine addiction... no wonder I had money problems.  :numbness:

As of Tuesday I begin the serious Daily Mission of unpacking, so there'll be a lot more "stuff" to donate and destroy rather than the current stack of magazines I'm working at.

• Like 2

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

Day 7: the entire MSDN library from 2002 on 2 CDS, visual J++, Eclipse (on a CD !?), 3 out of date books , a 2002 road atlas, and a Rosetta stone demo cd

How do you reckon a demo language CD works? Do they just teach you the first half of each sentence ? "Where is the train station: Ou est La .... buy the full course to find out !!".

I see green herbs !

• Like 1

Day 7: the entire MSDN library from 2002 on 2 CDS, visual J++, Eclipse (on a CD !?), 3 out of date books , a 2002 road atlas, and a Rosetta stone demo cd

How do you reckon a demo language CD works? Do they just teach you the first half of each sentence ? "Where is the train station: Ou est La .... buy the full course to find out !!".

I see green herbs !

That's funny!

Day 7ff05444a974434e4327a23e91b0fd7d2.jpg

Random decorations not used for years.

• Like 1

Goal Weight: 145

Current Challenge

End of week one. I've been on this minimalism thing for too long. I thought cleaning out my filing cabinet would be a good idea and found out I've already done it, and cannot remember when.

I even went through my bedroom tonight and couldn't find anything to declutter.

• Like 2

Level 8 : Wizard Blacksmith 

[ STR 6 | DEX 6 | STA 5 | CON 5 | WIS 10 | CHA 4 ]

Jakkals, 2019 nommer 3

Spoiler

Adapt yourself to the things among which your lot has been cast

and love sincerely the fellow creatures with whom destiny has

ordained that you shall live.

-Marcus Aurelius

@Shadri: Yes! My husband and I are both no-poo-ers, and we just use water and fingertips/nails to break up any oils that accumulate.

I have thin, fine hair and this works great for me - I occasionally use a little dry shampoo (Batiste is my favorite brand) if my hair looks a bit lank (occasionally like maybe once a month?)

And my DH has thick, curly hair and uses daily pomade to control his mop. He also only uses fingers and water.

This works for daily use; he runs a crapton; and I do mud runs. Mud runs kind of kill the natural balance going on in my head for a week or two (I'll feel kind of off and usually end up spraying in a leave-in moisturizer to re-balance things), but that lasts at most a week.

The first month totally sucked and felt gross, but then my hair/scalp balanced and things are fine.

Sent on dragon wing

• Like 3

Level 87 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 8485 | 86 | 87  ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

End of week one. I've been on this minimalism thing for too long. I thought cleaning out my filing cabinet would be a good idea and found out I've already done it, and cannot remember when.

That's awesome! If you reach a point where you literally have nothing you don't need, then I think you "win" even if it's before day 30.

Does it count that I turned a bunch of balls of yarn into sweaters?

Sure, why not?! Subtract "2" sweaters from the number of balls of yarn you started with, and count the rest toward your total. :P

I'm running a little behind... still need to get rid of 5 more things today. Continuing to clear out my closet, so I have no doubt I will get there. :)

• Like 2

I got rid of more perfumes and lotions.  7 things total.  All right, now to look onto other drawers with things I really don't need.

• Like 1

Race: Were-Jaguar | Class: CodeMONKey

Level: 18 | STR: 46  | DEX: 41  | STA: 35  | CON: 51  | WIS: 57 | CHA: 47

Spoiler

---

Challenges: CURRENT

18TH | 17TH | 16TH 15TH 14TH | 13TH | 12.5TH | 12TH | 11TH |

10TH | 9TH | 8TH 7TH | 6TH | 5TH | 4TH | 3RD | 2ND | 1ST

Accountbilbuddies: Artists unite for March/April 2017!

---

"Everyone's the same height when you punch them hard enough"

---

NF Character Profile | BATTLE LOG | Tumblr | DeviantArt | Warhammer 40k Shenanigans

A garbage bag full of towels and wash cloths that were ratty (I'd already bought new at the beginning of summer)

Some power tools went into the pile to give my oldest son

3 back packs into the pile for son

Big stack of pants that are huge (like 5 pairs? )

Also my son has been getting his stuff out. I kicked him out last month (because of a lot of reasons) and his stuff has been overflowing in my living room. I don't think that counts as MY stuff, but it's leaving [emoji14]

hmmmm... sent by magic.... or fairies.... or small woodland creatures maybe? how does this thing work?

• Like 1

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

why?  Why? WHY? do I have a gazillion squares of fabric whose sole purpose is to collect snotty mucus from a nose?  

I'll tell you why... my grandmother, (sweet lady), was a child of the 1920s.  She grew up with the habit of handkerchiefs.    When she passed away I was still in my retro phase, and some of the patterns were pretty cool (actually pretty funky considering my grandmother's very classic taste), so I took them ALL home. Today I pulled 3 from the pile that I like, and will keep in my drawer.  I thought about incorporating them into cute little pillow covers, but then starting to think how gross that would be... "I love resting my head on a piece of fabric that was covered in slime and has probably collected billions and billions of germs!"  Maybe not.....

The gazillion rest of them are going to go.... starting with 7 today.

I also brought a silverware caddy to school to replace the ugly one here.  I don't need it, but it's a nice bamboo one.  That still counts right?  I got it out of my house, but I still get to put it to good use somewhere else?

So that brings today's total to 8.  :)  

:)  

• Like 1

6 and seven from the weekend: two old story manuscripts, a box of gross tea, a packet of top ramen (BECAUSE NO), lemon juicer, some old business cards, an unmatched sock, a pair of earrings, a paperback book, a plastic light-up ring, wall-hanging stickies, a necklace, a bracelet.

Heading to a consignment store sometime this week, I bet I can sell a bunch of this stuff!

• Like 2

LEVEL ONE APPRENTICE WIZARD RANGER: HUMAN UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE

Achievements Unlocked:  Breakfast Warrior, Pushupapalooza, Quadruple Nanomaster, Return From the Dead, Gainful Employment, Leap of Faith, Minimalism Game, Get Thee Behind Me, Coffee, Camp Nerd Fitness 2015, Return From the Dead 2: The Undeadening, Gainful Employment 2: Boss Edition, Fancy Comics Person, Rogue Hair

Tumblr of VERY INTERESTING ART: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/radicalwizardtimes

Today's 15

Day 8

2 eyeshadow compacts in colors I half like

1 gold eyeshadow pot

3 forms of black or silver glitter; some of which I've had since college

A pot of 3 glitters I've had since high school

2 lip balms I hate

2 foundations I don't like

A concealer I don't use

A lip gloss I don't like

A manicure block

Mini nail files 

• Like 2

Level 87 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 8485 | 86 | 87  ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

Got rid of eight items today; shampoo, conditioner and several more things, this time for donation.

• Like 2

Race: Were-Jaguar | Class: CodeMONKey

Level: 18 | STR: 46  | DEX: 41  | STA: 35  | CON: 51  | WIS: 57 | CHA: 47

Spoiler

---

Challenges: CURRENT

18TH | 17TH | 16TH 15TH 14TH | 13TH | 12.5TH | 12TH | 11TH |

10TH | 9TH | 8TH 7TH | 6TH | 5TH | 4TH | 3RD | 2ND | 1ST

Accountbilbuddies: Artists unite for March/April 2017!

---

"Everyone's the same height when you punch them hard enough"

---

NF Character Profile | BATTLE LOG | Tumblr | DeviantArt | Warhammer 40k Shenanigans

Today's 8.  The last 7 magazines and an old German army jacket I've been holding onto for far too long.

Is anyone starting to struggle yet?

• Like 1

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

I agree with JMitch. Congratulations, you've accomplished the mission, Rebel!

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

why?  Why? WHY? do I have a gazillion squares of fabric whose sole purpose is to collect snotty mucus from a nose?  

I'll tell you why... my grandmother, (sweet lady), was a child of the 1920s.  She grew up with the habit of handkerchiefs.    When she passed away I was still in my retro phase, and some of the patterns were pretty cool (actually pretty funky considering my grandmother's very classic taste), so I took them ALL home. Today I pulled 3 from the pile that I like, and will keep in my drawer.  I thought about incorporating them into cute little pillow covers, but then starting to think how gross that would be... "I love resting my head on a piece of fabric that was covered in slime and has probably collected billions and billions of germs!"  Maybe not.....

The gazillion rest of them are going to go.... starting with 7 today.

I also brought a silverware caddy to school to replace the ugly one here.  I don't need it, but it's a nice bamboo one.  That still counts right?  I got it out of my house, but I still get to put it to good use somewhere else?

So that brings today's total to 8.   :)

:)

Totally counts. Donating, recycling - those are optimum compared to just trashing a useful, still usable item.

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

I got my 30's for the weekend. Will do today's late tonight when I get home. It's getting a bit harder, as I have gotten almost everything that isn't an essential out of the bathrooms and hall closet. I'm down to two small baskets of usable makeup, hair thingies, and specialty soaps. I may keep those on the counter (with a deadline of next weekend) and do some testing of the last questionable items. Anything I don't really love goes. Next, it is on to the bedroom closet!

It is amazing to me how many unused, unusable, or unneeded items were hanging around in the bathrooms and closet! Given the commonly quoted statistic that most of us only wear about 20% of the clothing we own, the clothes closet should be interesting. I did purge it fairly heavily about 6 months ago. Don't know if this is where I will start to feel the pinch of decluttering or not. Eh, there's probably plenty to keep me busy for a couple of days, at least.

210/900

Great work everyone! We've collectively rid ourselves of well over 576 items of useless stuff!

• Like 2

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Still catching up from this weekend but took care of 6 items at work to cover Saturday:

• 3 old pictures from my previous job
  • old fitness mag
  • 2 old b-day cards

Apparently I hoard b-day cards. just last week I purged some from 3-4 years ago...

I'll make sure and take care of Sunday and today before tomorrow hits. Yay purge!!

Wolf

• Like 1

Wild Wolf

Class: Peerless Scarred/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 188#

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Intro to Wolflean

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Gotham Project: 1

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

8 more things gone. I don't know how much longer I can last. I don't own this much stuff.

Do what you can until you reach a level you feel good about.

We're all at different stages of life and accumulation, and we all have different needs from the game. Use it to reach yours and stop. You can then cheer the rest of your teammates on as they go for theirs.

The finish line is very individual. This is a game we can all win!

• Like 2

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir