Forums are back in action! ×

Anny suggestions for a simple start workout?

Why not start with strength training? There are so many things you can do to help build your muscles, which helps your metabolism! Body weight workouts are good, especially for people just starting out. Also Parkour training is a thought, Steve has blog posts about both, which I can search out for you if you're interested! 

Another option is swimming- Good cardio and builds muscles, but is SUPER low stress on joints.

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Becomes Her Own Hero

Jedi Battle Log

“Keep Calm, Carry On, and Don't Freeze Up!”

- Oboro Shirakumo (Loud Cloud), My Hero Academia Vigilantes

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10#11#12#13#14#15#16, #17#18#19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33,  #34#35#36#37#38#39#40#41#42#43#44, #45#46#47#48#49#50#51#52#53#54#55#56#57#58#59#60#61#62#63

I was considering walking because the entrance fee to the swimming poolis just to much. And parkour for me would be to intense still. But the weight training is definitly an option

Beginner Bodyweight

And for Parkour, if you're interested in it, check this out. It's easier than you'd think, and it's a great start.

Walking is always good, I started with a lot of walking myself!

• Like 1

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Battle Log

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10#11#12#13#14#15#16, #17#18#19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33,  #34#35#36#37#38#39#40#41#42#43#44, #45#46#47#48#49#50#51#52#53#54#55#56#57#58#59#60#61#62#63

Thanks for all the information! i will try to get some walking done today.

If you can afford it, I'd recommend looking into a FitBit or similar step tracker. It'll help you make sure you're getting enough walking in. Most people burn ~2500 with the 10k/day step program, that's without working out any further than just walking the 10k steps/day

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Battle Log

I have this little guy for when I just super want some extra steps/cardio in my life, but it's bad weather out. I'm not sure what the weight rating is for using it standing up, but it can be used sitting down as well if you're uncertain:

http://www.amazon.com/Stamina-55-1610-InMotion-Elliptical-Trainer/dp/B000VICRO8

As for free home cardio, all I got for ya is timing some jumping jacks, high knees, power squats. Really, you don't need a lot of cardio (or any) to lose weight. Personally I only do it because I enjoy it and the way it makes me feel when I'm done. Weight loss can be achieved via diet alone, and you can do strength training also to preserve (and potentially build, if you're a beginner) some muscle.

• Like 1

Walking is a great option for getting started, but if you feel that running puts too much stress on your joints then you might consider that you're not running properly. This is no big shame -- in my opinion, most people don't run properly.

The trick to learning how to run is to do it barefoot because that will teach you good form almost by itself, and even if you later decide to wear shoes anyway you'll benefit from the barefoot technique.

So, if the weather permits, just take off your shoes when you're walking and go barefoot for a while. Just walking, not running yet. It's a great feeling!

I can't run either, combination of weight putting stress on joints and arthritis means running isn't going to be in my future either, so I feel you on this one.

Cardio without equipment, yeah, walking is the best thing.  It may or may not be your thing (plus not everyone has a smartphone, but if you do...)  but I'd suggest taking a look at zombies run.  The story keeps me engaged and wanting to go out again for the next segment, plus I have a built in step counter or I can just turn on gps if I'm outside and it'll track my distance instead.  And if you decide you do want to upgrade to pro membership, it's honestly really cheap.

• Like 1

Do the thing

2024 Intentions Roadmap

If running is hurting and putting too much stress on your joints, definitely stay away from it. Walking will be your best friend, set a goal of how much you want to do a day. Remember that it doesn't have to be all at once. So if your goal is 30 minutes and you can only do 10 minutes at a time, then do 3 10 minute blocks throughout the day. Body weight exercises are also a great option. Plus, make sure you are fueling your body with the right nutrition to promote weight loss and promote a healthy body.

Remember that it is a journey and not a sprint! You have already made huge strides in deciding to start exercising and get healthy!

• Like 1

Beyond walking/running, I can only imagine bodyweight circuits as being truly equipment free (while they're not what we normally think of as cardio, they'll get your heart pumping and help you burn calories, so I guess they count). Another option would be shadowboxing. There are a lot of good boxing tutorials on Youtube, just learn stance, footwork and basic punches and box a few rounds in front of your mirror, no gloves or wraps needed.

Also, you could make your own equipment. Kettlebells are great to train endurance and raising your heart rate, and you can make a decent alternative using water or milk jugs. I actually bought a couple 20-liter water cooler jugs for this very purpose: they are unbalanced weights with a handle, and you can perform many of the standard kettlebell movements with them. Just filling them with water gives you a 20kg weight for a tiny fraction of the price. Sandbags are another piece of equipment you could make for very little money.

If you're happen to find SOME budget for toys, there are a few relatively cheap options:

A) Cycling. Probably the most expensive of these options, but also the most practical - a bike is something you can actually use to move around and save on gas/parking/public transport tickets/etc.
B) Boxing. You can start by shadowboxing as I described above, and if you like it, you can buy a heavy bag, some cheap gloves and wraps. You won't break the bank, and they're fun toys.
C) Kettlebells. If you don't like the homemade version described above (or if you liked them, but want to progress to something better), you can actually get the real thing for relatively little money, at least compared to other kinds of sports and fitness equipment.

Over time, any of these will be much cheaper than a gym membership. Good luck!

• Like 1

Thank you very much everyone. I got so manny suggestions and i am trying to use them to their full potential.
i will start off with simply walking and ofcourse contuing my bodyweight training and eventualy move on to probably shadow boxing and running.
Again thank you all very much!

Lvl 1: Adventurer with monk ambitions

Current weight: 123,3 KG.   Target weight: 85KG

I usually find that with a little bit of research you can find a cheap almost anywhere. Mine is 15 minute walk away but I think its worth it. Walking is a good start but it will take a long time to see any results, but if you're ok with that then no problem. Good luck!

• Like 1

Walking is an amazing start once you've gained confidence you'll simply be craving for the next level.

As for the joints stress I found out that adding leg training in my body weight circuit especially squats are of tremendous help for getting your legs muscle back into shape.

I was hurting too stopped running did squats and walking for a month and all of a sudden I was able to run 30mn without the slightest sign of pain.

Envoyé de mon RAINBOW en utilisant Tapatalk

• Like 1

Winwaloeus, level 3 ranger

STATS : STR 7 | STA 9 | DEX 2 | CON 9 | WIS 9 | CHA 5

My introduction is Here - My Battle Log is There - 6wc I - 6wc II - 4wc III - 4wc IIII (ongoing)

Main goal : lose excess fat down to 14% (currently, i look roughly like a : 20 to 25 -according to many sites offering pictures for comparison)

current 4wc progress :

Goal 1 : walk !!! (2h27 out of a minimum 12)

20%
20%

Goal 2 : Sprint (1 out of 4)

25%
25%

Goal 3 : Lift (2 out of 12)

20%
20%

Life Goal : History work (3 out of 12 )

25%
25%

Walking is an amazing start once you've gained confidence you'll simply be craving for the next level.

As for the joints stress I found out that adding leg training in my body weight circuit especially squats are of tremendous help for getting your legs muscle back into shape.

I was hurting too stopped running did squats and walking for a month and all of a sudden I was able to run 30mn without the slightest sign of pain.

Envoyé de mon RAINBOW en utilisant Tapatalk

I'll take this with me i have been doing my squats for almost a month now.

Sent from the past

Lvl 1: Adventurer with monk ambitions

Current weight: 123,3 KG.   Target weight: 85KG

I'll take this with me i have been doing my squats for almost a month now.

Sent from the past

Excellent! Plus all the cardio from your body weight circuits it's a really good way to get back to running if you feel like it!

Winwaloeus, level 3 ranger

STATS : STR 7 | STA 9 | DEX 2 | CON 9 | WIS 9 | CHA 5

My introduction is Here - My Battle Log is There - 6wc I - 6wc II - 4wc III - 4wc IIII (ongoing)

Main goal : lose excess fat down to 14% (currently, i look roughly like a : 20 to 25 -according to many sites offering pictures for comparison)

current 4wc progress :

Goal 1 : walk !!! (2h27 out of a minimum 12)

20%
20%

Goal 2 : Sprint (1 out of 4)

25%
25%

Goal 3 : Lift (2 out of 12)

20%
20%

Life Goal : History work (3 out of 12 )

25%
25%

Walking is a great start and a great habit to continue. It is definitely my preferred method of exercise and once you get some endurance built up, you can easily transition to hiking. ;)

I also think that a good walk has some psychological benefits and it's a good time to think about things or catch up on your favorite podcast(s) or audio books. It's also a great way to recharge if you're an introvert like me and need a break from people.

Yet feet that wandering have gone, 

Turn at last to home afar.

This may seem really weird, but this is what got my 300+-pound former roommate in the habit of being active (and now she does barbell workouts on the regular at the nearby gym, when she used to be scared of even walking in): a WiiFit!

We had the WiiFit+, which is basically a bunch of little games and exercises to encouage you to be active. There's not really anything intense, but they were a really fun distraction, and something we both used as a way to stop just sitting around doing nothing at home. Plus, for when it was too gross outside for us to go on walks, we'd put on the "Free Step" game for half an hour and do step aerobics while watching an episode of Psych.

If you already have a Wii, I'd suggest checking out WiiFit to go along with it.

• Like 1

Lita

Wood Elf Recruit | Level Zero

|| STR 0 || DEX 0 || STA 0 || CON 0 || WIS 0 || CHA 0 ||

|| Battle Log || Challenges: current ||