Forums are back in action! ×

New Ranger in Rhode Island

Greetings from Rhode Island!

These forum intros are always a bit awkward...

My name is John and I'm a 47 year-old speculative fiction writer (with a day job) who has some relatively stong old-school nerd kung fu.  I learned to write fiction from sci-fi novelist/screenwriter David Gerrold (he's known for writing the "Trouble with Tribbles" episode of classic Start Trek) and screenwriter DC Fontana (also Star Trek alumni).  I had a novel released by Arkham House Publishing in 2002.  In gaming, I got my start in pen-and-paper RPGs (Advanced D&D mostly) and was pretty fanatical about it from junior high through high school.  I do some sporadic PC gaming now, and that's about it. Most of my nerdly pursuits are via the written word these days.

I heard Steve Kamb on a couple of podcasts and his approach intrigued me. I have started reading "Level Up Your Life". I made my first attempt at gamified productivity via some basic, hight-level content in Chris Hardwick's "Nerdist Way" book, but it never took. I suspect that gaming on my own is not the right route for me; I may need a community.

With regards to fitness, I'm a fat guy who has had a Gold's Gym membership for many years ... and remained a fat guy throughout. Again, I may not do so hot in self-guided "adventures".  So, I'm transitioning over to a smaller kettlebells/ cross-training gym where the fees are higher but the classes are small and the expertise is great. I'm optimistic.

Professionally, I'm also in lousy shape (in my own humble opinion...).  My writing practice (fiction and non-fiction) is barely in existence and I'm not thrilled with my day gig. I'm not sure how much of that I'll tackle here. Baby steps...

As a means of public accountability, I've set up a website to document my attempts to sort my ... stuff ... out.  You can visit me at http://Savejohn.com. Though there's only one post online so far. I hope that it'll be worth visiting in the future, but it's not there yet.

Oh ... I'm learning to be a blacksmith. So, there's that.

Cheers,
John Harvey

===

SAVEJOHN.COM (I'm here to unfrack myself...)

===

My Nerd Fitness Character Profile

(A work in progress)

Welcome John, and that's one great beard, brother!

I've got to be honest, you sounds like a future me! I'm in to martial arts, I would love to learn some blacksmithery, day job is not fulfilling, and I'm an aspiring writer/blogger who also recently started a blog. If you tell me you are in to astronomy I'm going to have to ask to see your tattoos to make sure you aren't future me!

It sounds like I'm sort of where you are with the fitness thing. I've been reading everything and attempting to get in shape for years. I even came close a few years back when I finished a 90-day program. It took maybe a month before I pretty much lost that progress and I slowly ballooned back up. I guess that's why I'm here. I think it's time I actually get involved and be a part of this awesome community. I think I need that public accountability and that group support. I'm 35 and I'm ready to be a bad ass. A good bad ass, but still a bad ass. 

Hah! Very interesting. Yeah, my weight has ballooned and deflated quite a bit. I'm sorta done with that.

Though I'm not into astronomy, I do have tattoos.

https://flic.kr/p/f5UoCe

https://flic.kr/p/f5UoBk

Great to meet you!

Welcome John, and that's one great beard, brother!

I've got to be honest, you sounds like a future me! I'm in to martial arts, I would love to learn some blacksmithery, day job is not fulfilling, and I'm an aspiring writer/blogger who also recently started a blog. If you tell me you are in to astronomy I'm going to have to ask to see your tattoos to make sure you aren't future me!

It sounds like I'm sort of where you are with the fitness thing. I've been reading everything and attempting to get in shape for years. I even came close a few years back when I finished a 90-day program. It took maybe a month before I pretty much lost that progress and I slowly ballooned back up. I guess that's why I'm here. I think it's time I actually get involved and be a part of this awesome community. I think I need that public accountability and that group support. I'm 35 and I'm ready to be a bad ass. A good bad ass, but still a bad ass.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

===

SAVEJOHN.COM (I'm here to unfrack myself...)

===

My Nerd Fitness Character Profile

(A work in progress)

Welcome! I joined a crossfit focused gym and I honestly shutter at the thought of how horribly I would be doing lifts and exercises if I hadn't. Maybe I am lucky cause I know there are some crossfit gyms that aren't good and set their athletes up for injury cause their focus is wrong. Hopefully your new gym has some good coaches who can help you out.

Good luck!

18.10 |18.6 | 18.518.418.318.218.116.2 | 16.1 | My Character

Lean out: 4lbs / 70lbs

- - - - - - - - - -

Your website looks pretty cool. I had a fitness blog for a while, but it fell off because college is.. college. I had another blog that was less fitnessy, but it didn't have any sort of theme and that's a recipe for disaster. 

I hope your new gym and your new ideas work out! Good luck :)

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Becomes Her Own Hero

Jedi Battle Log

“Keep Calm, Carry On, and Don't Freeze Up!”

- Oboro Shirakumo (Loud Cloud), My Hero Academia Vigilantes

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10#11#12#13#14#15#16, #17#18#19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33,  #34#35#36#37#38#39#40#41#42#43#44, #45#46#47#48#49#50#51#52#53#54#55#56#57#58#59#60#61#62#63