Forums are back in action! ×

Dad was awake and is sitting in a recliner today. His coloring looks so great and he’s properly hydrated so he actually looks really good. 

he’s sleeping right now and Mom is falling asleep too. They’re gonna try to take him for a short walk tomorrow. 

his blood pressure is low so they have him on something to elevate it, and once his BP is good without drugs, he can move upstairs. 

seriously though he looks so good. I am so glad he won’t remember much of these first days though because everything is sore and I just hate that for him. But he’s gonna get better and I’m so relieved. 

• Like 3

I am so glad to hear that things went well! I hope his leg heals quickly and completely (along with the rest of him of course). I hope you got some sleep and are able to relax a bit more now, Snarky. ❤️ 

• Thanks 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

15 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Don't feel like you have to spend too much time at the hospital tomorrow. It's the day after when he'll start knowing who is around.

6 hours ago, Emma said:

Glad it went well. Get some rest.

5 hours ago, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

So glad to hear good news!!!  

thanks everyone! ????

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Sovalis said:

I am so glad to hear that things went well! I hope his leg heals quickly and completely (along with the rest of him of course). I hope you got some sleep and are able to relax a bit more now, Snarky. ❤️ 

I did! I got eight hours last night, which is awesome after getting 4-5 all week. 

I’m staying home to clean the house and Mom is gonna go to the hospital alone. She just wants to be alone with him today and she looked at me and said “I think you need a break” 

she’s right. I do. I still have a major headache and I am more useful cleaning today than sitting under harsh lights feeling sick. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

she looked at me and said “I think you need a break” 

Glad you are taking a break.  This marathon is probably best done as a team relay.  

• Thanks 1

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

Glad things went well and you are listening to your mom and getting some rest :) 

• Thanks 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: Life is not Always SET

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

Weigh in Day:

232.  That puts me down 3 pounds from last week. That's a bigger drop than I expected for this last week, because I usually gain weight when stressed out, so this is different, but not unwelcome.

Dad update: Mom says he had more tubes removed and he even took a few steps yesterday. The nurses said he's really strong, and they're impressed by his level of fitness, which made him happy. He could move to a regular room, but they don't have the beds. I think he'd be more comfortable in a regular room, but between us, I'm relieved by the level of attention and care he gets in the CT ICU so him being there an extra day or two is fine by me.  Ooh and he's eating jello! 

I got the entire house cleaned yesterday, exercised, and cooked a comforting pasta dish with chicken and veggies for Mom and I. My Visiting Uncle was invited to my 2nd Uncle's house for the day, and I really love my 2nd Uncle for keeping him busy and out of the house so I could get all this stuff done. I sat outside and stared into space for probably over an hour when I was all done with chores, and it was really nice. I'm ready to go back to the hospital today. I talked to Mom about taking a break, and she's says she relaxes at the hospital just fine. She read a book while Dad slept, and she was just happy to have the house clean and not worry about having a lot to do at home.

My uncle is going home today, and I'm very happy about that. He's been great this visit, but yesterday his old ways were emerging again, and I'm just like okay you can go home now. It will be nice to have some quiet after a week of annoying relatives. 

Okay, time to get ready! See you later, buddies!

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

232.  That puts me down 3 pounds from last week.

Congratulations!!  Given the stress level, that's at least a double win.

• Like 1

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

54 minutes ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Ooh and he's eating jello! 

After my dad's CABG when he could first have anything by mouth he got some ice chips. He was still groggy and would say with each ice chip, "oooooooh, that's better than ice cream."

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

22 hours ago, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

Congratulations!!  Given the stress level, that's at least a double win.

Yeah! double win makes me think of those double mint gum jingles, remember those? Oh that’s gonna be in my head today.

double double your refreshment!

double double your enjoyment 

oh no single gum freshens your mouth like

doublemint double mint GUM!

21 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

After my dad's CABG when he could first have anything by mouth he got some ice chips. He was still groggy and would say with each ice chip, "oooooooh, that's better than ice cream."

I am honestly amazed by his progress. Also, my dad remembers everything.  My uncle said he’s forget everything but he remembers. I hope he forgets later. 

he had a rough day yesterday, but we processed the bad stuff and talked it out the bits that were stressful for him and then shifted focus to stuff outside that he was involved in. I asked him about a radio society he belonged to and he talked all about that and we have him his phone so he could text his best friend and it was good for him to see his life wasn’t this hospital, this hospital was just serving a purpose and that he will have much to come home to.  It was nice to be able to text him goodnight too. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

gave him his phone so he could text his best friend and it was good for him to see his life wasn’t this hospital, this hospital was just serving a purpose and that he will have much to come home to.  It was nice to be able to text him goodnight too. 

Oh ... that is so smart!!!  It's easy to let the world collapse into that small bubble of the hospital room.  

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

Oh ... that is so smart!!!  It's easy to let the world collapse into that small bubble of the hospital room.  

Thanks! Hospitals can feel eternal and isolated, I am so happy we have cell phone so he can stay connected. He texted me just now that he went on a longish walk down the hall and he’s so pleased with himself.  His spirits are much improved!

• Like 4

On 7/21/2023 at 6:00 AM, Snarkyfishguts said:

Update: the Visiting Uncle has been comforting. He came in at 5pm, not 9:30pm and hugged everyone, then sat down and said “I bought a ventilation seat cover for my car! It keeps my back cool and even has a BUTT MASSAGER!”  

He’s staying really positive, only talking about upbeat things that aren’t too serious with dad like “lemme tell you about my new 3D printer!” And when mom or I look worried, he makes eye contact and mouths “it’s gonna be okay” 

he’s offered to cook dinner, is going to get some of his work done while he’s here and offered to make small repairs (although we done need any) and when my annoying aunt and uncle came back, he suggested they all sit on the front porch and watch the storm and catch up while we get things ready for today.

Love this!  

So happy to hear your dad's surgery went well and you and your mom seem to be coping very well and taking care of each other and yourselves!  <4

• Thanks 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

On 7/25/2023 at 12:46 PM, Shello said:

Love this!  

So happy to hear your dad's surgery went well and you and your mom seem to be coping very well and taking care of each other and yourselves!  <4

Thank you, dear friend! 

Dad called Mom this morning and said “I had a lot of visitors yesterday and I think if you needed a day off, this is a great day to take it.” He’s called twice with updates and both times he’s ended the conversation. He sounds cheerful and upbeat. The surgeon came in to see him and said he needed at least another day or two and my dad agreed. Dad said “thank you for doing my surgery. I believe you saved my life” and the doctor held his hand and gave it a gentle squeeze and said “you are a very kind man” 

yesterday was a big visitor day. My brother showed up, and 2 uncles and an aunt came over. My dad loved it. But he definitely wanted some peace today. 

Healthwise, his glucose keeps spiking, and his blood pressure will drop. He had some irregular heart beats that set off the alarm yesterday  and still has a few drainage tubes so we are glad he’s in the hospital still for a bit too.  He gets a little better every day though. He said “I finally found the thing no one says “it could be worse, you could have…” lol. He still has a sense of humor. 

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Emma said:

Hospital diets are notoriously carb heavy. I am sure it will get better once he gets back home.

And simple carbs with low fiber.  No doubt that the glucose and the other readings will settle down once he's back to a normal diet and home where he can truly relax.  

• Thanks 1

We are at the hospital for another day.  Dad was supposed to come home this morning and then they removed his tubes and some staples so his blood pressure dropped when he stood up. So he’s here another day, as he should be. We found out when we arrived and I feel relieved. I really didn’t think he was ready yet, but looking at him today, I do think he could be ready tomorrow. He was so sad not to be going home today and I reminded him that I passed out after they removed my staples too. It’s a hard thing to go through, and he felt better. 

I made a happy discovery that there’s a Starbucks in the hospital and I had some money on my Account so it felt like getting free coffee. Lol. 

I ended up doing some exercises in the hospital room, but nothing requiring a lot of floor contact besides feet because hospital floors are uncertain.  So if I could stay on my feet or in my seat, I went for it.  My Fitbit was not impressed with my efforts ? I need to exercise tonight to make my weekly goal. 

• Like 6

I am glad they are being careful not to release him too early. I hope that everything regulates when he’s home and safe and less stressed. Thank you for so many updates, you all have been on my mind even when I have been not checking here often. ❤️ 

• Thanks 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Sovalis said:

I am glad they are being careful not to release him too early. I hope that everything regulates when he’s home and safe and less stressed. Thank you for so many updates, you all have been on my mind even when I have been not checking here often. ❤️ 

I appreciate having friends here to update. Everyone has been comforting and just sharing helps so much. 
I did learn he’ll get a visiting nurse and continue with rehab at a hospital that is less stressful to drive to so even though he’s home, he’s not done with his care. That’s a relief! 

• Like 5