Snarkyfishguts Thought a Challenge was a Good Idea

After a four-month break from any self-improvement goals and a very uneven summer, I'm ready to pursue healthy living.  I think I've worked out what that means for me.  Last spring I got my bloodwork done after Easter and my cholesterol was high. It was after eating a lot of saturated fat over the holiday and I was also super stressed out. So I explained this to my doc and said "I'd like another go at it." and she said "Okay, shoot for sometime in September and we'll check it out."  And I'm like "So ignore this until September. Got it."?

Despicable Me Dancing GIF

What I'm doing now:

•  I've been monitoring my saturated fat and fiber using the Lose it! app for the last ten days. My diet has changed significantly for the better (omg so much better!)  I'm eating about 22g of saturated fat and 24 g of fiber on averageeat day.  I'm also eating about 78 grams of protein a day which  has been on my mind lately as well. I'm ignoring calories. 
  • Exercise-wise, I'm walking about 4 times a week for 30 minutes, doing one strength training session a week. 
  • Mental-health wise, I'm using the Finch App to log feelings, reflections, and practicing gratitude and deep breathing.  My birb's name is Fluffybutt. I downloaded the app as a joke, and well, joke's on me, I love it.

What's going to happen during the next 5 weeks: 

• I'm going to aim to get under 20g of saturated fat and 28g of fiber on average. My goal after this challenge is to be comfortably around 18g of saturated fat and 28g of fiber.
  • Walk 5 days a week, and strength train 2 days a week. Strongs daily with fewer sets. Will build up to 3 sets eventually and shorten the number of days as it gets more difficult. 
  • Keep on hanging out with Fluffybutt.
  • Add more "just for fun activities" like yoga, fitness boxing, yard work, dancing, whatever is fun and moving around. 
  • Share weekly averages here, in addition to any fun stories. 

What is NOT going to happen during the next 5 weeks:

• Weigh-ins.  It's not a tool that helps me anymore. My scale doesn't know how my day went, but it can sure ruin it for me.
  • Brooding. NOPE. If you don't get an update from me, I was at risk of brooding, and decided to get up and play the ukulele instead. :D  
  • Perfect scores. I don't have to reach my goal every day or have a 100%. I find when I'm doing well, there are gentle waves. When I'm trying to be perfect, those waves get severe and I wipe out. We are gonna bob along gentle waves together towards healthier choices. 

Minions Munching GIF by UniversalPicturesIndia

• Like 10

Oh yay, I love this setup, good for you realizing what isn't working (I hate weigh in's as well, might borrow this!), and not trying to make it all happen overnight :D 

• Like 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: Life is not Always SET

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

Happy Challenge! 
welcome back minions GIF

• Thanks 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

Welcome back, Snarky! So glad to see you!

I am considering not weighing in for a while myself. Thanks for nudging me in that direction with your honesty. 

minions GIF

• Thanks 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 hours ago, Sovalis said:

Welcome back, Snarky! So glad to see you!

I am considering not weighing in for a while myself. Thanks for nudging me in that direction with your honesty. 

minions GIF

Howdy howdy! Good to see you too, Boss! Yeah, I stand by the not weighing in for now, and if you find joy in letting that go too, I am thrilled for the excellent company 

Happy Cheering GIF

• Like 3

My plan this week is to do strength training Tuesday and Thursday. My youngest nephew Ernie was sent home with Covid so my brother called to say he’s keeping Bert at home until they know everyone is negative since Bert was home for the weekend. So probably the rest of the week he’ll stay home. Then Bert will come back here and we’ll resume our semester schedule as usual.   I did warn my brother that the visiting uncle was coming up this weekend and his response was “Gross” so I bet Bert will be back Sunday night or Monday night.  If he knows what’s good for him, he’ll avoid the uncle.  But maybe if he’s here, the uncle will be well-behaved? We’ll see what happens. :D 

despicable me minions GIF

• Like 7

14 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

I did warn my brother that the visiting uncle was coming up this weekend and his response was “Gross”

Sorry that you have to put up with it but I found this funny.  At least you know you are not alone in your feelings regarding visiting uncle.  

• Haha 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

9 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Yay welcome back Snarky!

Thanks D_R! :D 

4 hours ago, Shello said:

Sorry that you have to put up with it but I found this funny.  At least you know you are not alone in your feelings regarding visiting uncle.  

I'm so glad because I think it's funny too!! The validation is also really great. He IS gross.   :D  :D 

• Like 2

Ernie was sent home from school Monday with Covid, so Bert and my brother are going to school from my brother's house. I'm getting a covid booster today and the folks will get theirs later this week. Everyone else has tested negative.  Bert will probably be back next monday? We'll see how it goes.  Mom and I are a bit relieved he's not coming back right away because we're replacing his old, stinky pillow, which I'm pretty sure was carrying an ancient curse. The Cursed Object is now in the trash, and the difference in the smell of the room is noticeable. I'm sure Bert will breathe better too.  He coughs a LOT at night, so it will be interesting to see if the new pillow solves that. 

I confess we felt a little guilty about it because it feels sneaky.  But then the more I thought about it, if he was here and not home, I would've seen that pillow and said "Whoa you need a new pillow. Let's take care of that now."  So not TOO sneaky. A little sneaky.

I've injured my hand again. Good ol' tendonitis. It's the one by my thumb, and I got it from cleaning up the flowerbeds and cutting down the plants that were done this year. I've learned that I pick up a lot of stuff one-handed. Basically pinching and pulling are out, so all your cheeks are safe from me. If it's not better by next week, I'm going to call the doctor about it. ?  This DOES impact my workouts, but not terribly, so I'm out of excuses there :D  Speaking of, it's time to go workout. See you later taters!

Fresh Off The Boat Child GIF by ABC Network

• Like 7

Role Playing Reaction GIF by Hyper RPG

No pinching for you!  

Out with the stinky pillows!  

• Haha 3

On 9/11/2024 at 8:42 AM, Snarkyfishguts said:

I confess we felt a little guilty about it because it feels sneaky.  But then the more I thought about it, if he was here and not home, I would've seen that pillow and said "Whoa you need a new pillow. Let's take care of that now."  So not TOO sneaky. A little sneaky.

I've injured my hand again. Good ol' tendonitis. It's the one by my thumb, and I got it from cleaning up the flowerbeds and cutting down the plants that were done this year. I've learned that I pick up a lot of stuff one-handed. Basically pinching and pulling are out, so all your cheeks are safe from me. If it's not better by next week, I'm going to call the doctor about it. ?  This DOES impact my workouts, but not terribly, so I'm out of excuses there :D  Speaking of, it's time to go workout. See you later taters!

Wait, you're a little sneaky and prone to pinching? This kinda makes you sound like a lovable orphan protagonist, or possibly someone with a anglophile fox fursona??

image.jpeg.82b8834c2d200a238fdc310c0188a650.jpeg 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Level 38 [Raveling Bard]

20 minutes ago, Shello said:

Role Playing Reaction GIF by Hyper RPG

No pinching for you!  

Out with the stinky pillows!  

heehee okay good!!

7 minutes ago, Laghail said:

Wait, you're a little sneaky and prone to pinching? This kinda makes you sound like a lovable orphan protagonist, or possibly someone with a anglophile fox fursona??

image.jpeg.82b8834c2d200a238fdc310c0188a650.jpeg 

No man has ever compared to Robin Hood ?

• Like 1

The hand is recovering well. I found some physical therapy exercises that are really helpful. Mostly stretching my wrist and touching my thumb to the other fingers and other side of my palm.  I'm also finding some peace in holding things with both hands. It feels a little more formal to hold things with both hands, and I'm enjoying the novelty of it. I'm also enjoying using my keyboard to type instead of a touch screen. And while embroidery, video games, and gardening are out, I can play the ukulele without pain, and in fact, it feels like it's helping my pain a LOT.  

Happy Birthday Elvis GIF

I'm ridiculously happy about this. :D 

The visiting uncle is here. He's 100% in bum energy mode. I don't really care. It's been a great day.  YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENED?  My mom and dad went to Dairy Queen and got Pumpkin Pie Blizzards and they brought me one too! (this was before visiting uncle time) and we sat and ate ice cream and it was SO MUCH FUN. I only ate half of mine, and the rest is in the freezer. It was so good, and I wish I could capture the joy on my mom's face when she revealed them "WE BROUGHT BLIZZARDS!"  It felt like being a kid again. :D 

• Like 5
  • That's Metal 2

7 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

This is a very snarkyfisguts vibe gif and it makes me very very happy for some reason.

That is one of the nicest things you could say :D Thank you!  I love Stitch so much. I would’ve definitely adopted him too if I was Lilo. I often find myself bopping like this on good days! 

• Like 2