The Frugal Adventurers Club

2 hours ago, Loveable_Bouncer said:

Did my taxes today... found out I'm doing so successful in life that my home state is having me pay money. It luckily is not huge, but definitely has me thinking of doing some research to change my W-4s so I don't have to worry about owing next year (rather not see it, than having to plan ahead). 

Perhaps retool your pre-tax allowable deductions (healthcare savings account, retirement funds, etc.) as well as tweaking the W-4. (I, too, had to do a W-4 edit last year, and congratulations to you!) I would love to see your savings efforts get tax credits. :) 

• Like 2

&Heidi

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid  Level 12 Philosopher and level 11 Librarian (built on the Monk class, with a training path in The Way of the Cobalt Soul)

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | :: 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 |

Shaman: 82 | 83 | 84

Philosopher-Librarian 85 |:: 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

Insight: I need to make an appointment at the bank. I need to consolidate my various personal and car loans, and set up a health care savings account. I have no idea how the paperwok for pre-tax deductions works with my current agency, but I do know that I need to have a bank account number to give them when I fill the paperwork out. The insight portion of this is that I my homebody self is resistant to in-person, out-of-the-house appointments. This is suboptimal, and I've let it drag on. The good news is: when I un-quit, I can un-lose.

I have an appointment tomorrow afternoon to go in and talk with a loan officer.

• Like 3

&Heidi

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid  Level 12 Philosopher and level 11 Librarian (built on the Monk class, with a training path in The Way of the Cobalt Soul)

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | :: 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 |

Shaman: 82 | 83 | 84

Philosopher-Librarian 85 |:: 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

12 hours ago, Heidi said:

Insight: I need to make an appointment at the bank. I need to consolidate my various personal and car loans, and set up a health care savings account. I have no idea how the paperwok for pre-tax deductions works with my current agency, but I do know that I need to have a bank account number to give them when I fill the paperwork out. The insight portion of this is that I my homebody self is resistant to in-person, out-of-the-house appointments. This is suboptimal, and I've let it drag on. The good news is: when I un-quit, I can un-lose.

I'm proud of you for making it happen. 💜

• Like 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 3/28/2024 at 11:00 AM, Heidi said:

Perhaps retool your pre-tax allowable deductions (healthcare savings account, retirement funds, etc.) as well as tweaking the W-4. (I, too, had to do a W-4 edit last year, and congratulations to you!) I would love to see your savings efforts get tax credits. :) 

Soooo looking through things, I found out I paid enough off my student loans that halved what I owe! Whoot!

As my 2024 plan is to continue giving small payments and starting a retirement account (and working on getting 10% of my income if possible). I should be good for next year!

I also found out there was another form for my state for Renters that I haven't done before. 

I've been very intimidated by taxes due to mishap of self-contractor in my late teens. So being able to not only get my taxes done a week before, but figuring out more forms and trying things on my own is a HUGE level up. 

On 4/3/2024 at 10:27 AM, Heidi said:

Hope it went well and you received clarity/understanding on what needs to happen. 

----

A few things. 

I'm going to now receive a consistent 20 hours a week (almost 2 extra paychecks equivalent a month now). If you haven't read my challenge, I am able to hit a quota that will reduce some of my fixed expenses (rent will have a little deduction, and water/sewer/trash will be covered my employer). Just intime for the bump on rent in July (lovely renewal). 

Goal for April: I have the budgeting now, but can start making adjustments and putting ALL my fixed expenses and starting embracing my fixed expenses/sinking funds. 

Hoping I can see what I can put aside to some furniture goals (like a nice bedframe...).

• Like 3

Feeling really good about the consistency I have been putting into my casual no-spend and such because today we had to pull money from our Line of Credit to our Chequing account to be sure Dave had what he needed to travel to Europe for work because his work advance didn’t drop in time. Hopefully it drops tomorrow and I can just schlep that money back onto the Line of Credit, but at least we had it to move around. I am holding onto these thoughts really tightly right now because I am feeling very magpie and wanting a lot of small shiny things that I don’t really need. If I bought them, we wouldn’t have the buffer we needed today. So the restraint is useful, if not gratifying in the same way. 

I thought my appointment to talk to my psych about the disability tax credit was in May but it is in June, so a ways off yet. I am not in a hurry for it, but I am hopeful something comes of it. Anything would be helpful. 

How is everyone else doing?

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson