Forums are back in action! ×

No-Spend Summer! (July 23 - September 2, 2023)

11 minutes ago, Darciana said:

I thank you for the support. I'm content with keeping with this thread or starting a new one each challenge - I will go along with whatever suits the majority.

I am game for continuing this after the challenge and would be more than happy to share tips/tricks for what has worked for us.  

We have joined the “Expensive Car Repairs” club today. Our 13 year old SUV needs a new rear differential. Estimate from our very honest mechanic is just shy of $1300.  This is just after I forked out almost 3600 in tuition this semester for college age kids. (We go halves on the tuition. That $3600 is our portion and our kids pay their halves). I’m gonna also be broke for a while. 

• Sad 5

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore before you decide to be happy” -Nightbirde

“Dreams do not come true all by themselves. They are nourished by the bounty of hard work”  -Unknown Disney Imagineer

2024 Word

Svastha: Standing in One’s Own Power

Current Challenge:

Sepherina Focuses

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 , #6 , #7 , #8 , #9#10#11, #12, ,#13#14, #15#16, #17

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

1 hour ago, Sepherina said:

I’m gonna also be broke for a while. 

Tuition is part of my world too, and I just got the bill for tomorrow’s surgery: $1300+

Please explain why I have insurance (that costs $600/month), again? 

Anyway, all good. Better to know about the bills than to get stuck in the quicksand.

• Sad 5

&Heidi

West-Marches Campaign Herb-Gatherer

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid  Level 12 Philosopher and level 11 Librarian (built on the Monk class, with a training path in The Way of the Cobalt Soul)

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | :: 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 |

Shaman: 82 | 83 | 84

Philosopher-Librarian 85 |:: 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

2 hours ago, Sepherina said:

I am game for continuing this after the challenge and would be more than happy to share tips/tricks for what has worked for us.  

We have joined the “Expensive Car Repairs” club today. Our 13 year old SUV needs a new rear differential. Estimate from our very honest mechanic is just shy of $1300.  This is just after I forked out almost 3600 in tuition this semester for college age kids. (We go halves on the tuition. That $3600 is our portion and our kids pay their halves). I’m gonna also be broke for a while. 

I haven't even gotten my Jeep back yet! At this point, they've had it for a month and a half. I'm about to ask for it to be free if they don't give it back soon. Especially since I have these other goings on that are costing a left kidney and then some... I'm sure going to miss that kidney.

• Sad 2

You don't have to be perfect, you just have to be better than you were before. Do that every day and you will succeed.

10 hours ago, Heidi said:

and I just got the bill for tomorrow’s surgery: $1300+

Please explain why I have insurance (that costs $600/month), again? 

Ug. That sucks. I despise the US healthcare system mainly because of this.

10 hours ago, Darciana said:

I haven't even gotten my Jeep back yet! At this point, they've had it for a month and a half. I'm about to ask for it to be free if they don't give it back soon.

Yikes!  I would start to get annoyed too. Especially if I had to get a rental. We have a second car and I work from

home full time so it’s not as bad for us. But others don’t have that privilege. 

• Like 1

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore before you decide to be happy” -Nightbirde

“Dreams do not come true all by themselves. They are nourished by the bounty of hard work”  -Unknown Disney Imagineer

2024 Word

Current Challenge:

Sepherina Focuses

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

Today is meal planning day for us.  I will share what our meals and grocery list once I am done.  I have already glanced at this week’s grocery circulars to see what is on sale but I need to take a look at what I already have in the house.  My game plan (just like last week’s) is to plan meals around the stuff I have and then buy supplemental stuff or basics (eggs, milk, coffee etc…).  I also try to budget $20-$30 for meat sales.  We have a standing deep freezer so I usually buy meat (or other things that freeze well) on sale in larger quantities, repackage if needed, and then freeze until we use it. I am also considering buying extra peaches this week.  They are in season and under a $1/pound.

• Like 4

2024 Word

Current Challenge:

Sepherina Focuses

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

2 hours ago, Sepherina said:

Ug. That sucks. I despise the US healthcare system mainly because of this.

Yikes!  I would start to get annoyed too. Especially if I had to get a rental. We have a second car and I work from

home full time so it’s not as bad for us. But others don’t have that privilege. 

We have 2 other vehicles (the Jeep is more a fun vehicle. We have a truck for the travel trailer and a Tahoe as the family vehicle) and we both work from home so we're more than good. But it IS frustrating. It's been broken since June 19th and the first appointment was July 11th, when I dropped it off. Still nothing. Ugh!

I'm glad you are in a similar fortunate vehicle situation as far as not requiring a rental. I hope yours doesn't get too out of hand, financially or timeline wise.

• Like 4

You don't have to be perfect, you just have to be better than you were before. Do that every day and you will succeed.

5 hours ago, Darciana said:

I'm glad you are in a similar fortunate vehicle situation as far as not requiring a rental. I hope yours doesn't get too out of hand, financially or timeline wise.

Same,  but the bill for cars is getting bigger.  The hubs needed to have his inspected (Pennsylvania just sucks).  Needs new rotors, pads and calipers.  $550 with the inspection fees.  I figured it needed the breaks. At least the vehicles are paid off.  This month is just outrageous so far for spending.

• Like 2

2024 Word

Current Challenge:

Sepherina Focuses

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

Finished taking stock of what we have in the house and made next week’s meal plan.  I am feeding 4 adults (one of which is an 18 year old boy).  

Meal Plan

Spoiler
  • Sunday
    • Breakfast - Eggs and Toast
    • Lunch - Leftovers (homemade pizza from Sat)
    • Dinner - Pork and Green Chili Pinto Soup with cornbread
  • Monday
    • Breakfast - Breakfast burritos
    • Lunch - Leftovers
    • Dinner - Salisbury Steak with rolls and corn and noodles
  • Tuesday
    • Lunch - Leftovers
    • Dinner - Tuna Noodle Casserole
  • Wednesday
    • Breakfast - Oatmeal
    • Lunch - Leftovers
    • Dinner - Bean and Cheese Enchiladas
  • Thursday
    • Breakfast - Oatmeal
    • Lunch - Leftovers
    • Dinner - Chicken Caesar Salads with homemade croutons
  • Friday
    • Lunch - Curry Chicken Salad Sandwiches (use leftover chicken from Caesar salads)
    • Dinner - Leftovers/Fend
  • Saturday
    • Lunch - Fend/Leftovers
    • Dinner - Leftovers/Golash

And here is the grocery list.  I have nearly 80% of what is needed for the meals. It is broken out by store with an estimate on what I think I will spend (rounded up).  I will also double check this list before I head out (make sure I didn’t forget anything or actually had something on hand that I overlooked)

Spoiler
  • Budgeted ($135)

• Aldi ($68 budgeted)
    • Bananas ($2.00)
    • Grapes ($3.00)
    • Romaine Lettuce ($3.00)
    • Cucumber (1 ~ $1.00)
    • Dijon Mustard (1 ~ $2.00)
    • Salsa (1 ~ $3.00)
    • Coffee KPods (2 boxes ~ $10.00)
    • Sugar (white 4 lb bag ~ $4.00)
    • Canned Tomatoes (2 sm cans ~ $3.00)
    • Tomato Juice (46 oz ~ $3.00)
    • Olive Oil ($6.00)
    • Tuna (6 cans ~ $6.00)
    • Milk (1 gal $5.00)
    • Eggs (2 doz ~ $3.00)
    • Butter (2lbs ~$4.00)
    • Hashbrowns ($4.00)
    • Toilet Paper ($6.00)
  • Shop n Save ($22 budgeted)
    • Chicken Breasts (SALE MEAT $1.99/lb ~ $10.00)
    • Frito Lay Chips Multipack ($9.00)
    • 4 Pork and Beans (SALE ITEM $3.00)
  • Giant Eagle ($45 budgeted with coupon)
    • Pork Chops Center Cut (SALE MEAT BOGO $10.00)
    • Chicken Thighs/Legs (SALE MEAT .99/lb $7.00)
    • Peaches (SALE .99/lb $8.00)
    • Gatorade (Buy 2 get 1 free $20)

• Like 3

2024 Word

Current Challenge:

Sepherina Focuses

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

A great resource for tasty and inexpensive recipes is Budget Bytes in case that is of use to anyone else. 

• Like 3

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

13 hours ago, Sovalis said:

A great resource for tasty and inexpensive recipes is Budget Bytes in case that is of use to anyone else. 

I have used this site in the past.  It is pretty good for having affordable meal ideas without needing a subscription.

• Like 3

2024 Word

Current Challenge:

Sepherina Focuses

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

21 hours ago, Sepherina said:

And here is the grocery list.  I have nearly 80% of what is needed for the meals. It is broken out by store with an estimate on what I think I will spend (rounded up).  I will also double check this list before I head out (make sure I didn’t forget anything or actually had something on hand that I overlooked)

Thank you for sharing what your process is, I've been always intrigued. 

Might share my own this week as I attempt to clean my kitchen and meal prep my week this week!

--

I'm also interested in sticking around through the end of the year!

For accountability to chug along and figuring out, and just a nice place to share how things are going. 

Figuring out what I'm willing to give up to enjoy things like my current apartment and cats, is to give up free time for work. While working I'm needing to focus on bringing food from home not only for work but every day running around that doesn't have planned eating out. Learning curves... 

Bright side I'm figuring out how to start making it a part of my life (hello scheduling it in). 

• Like 4

"Operation Bad*ss" Starts 9/1/2024

Quest 1: Level up Basecamp

On 8/24/2023 at 1:39 PM, Sepherina said:

Finished taking stock of what we have in the house and made next week’s meal plan.  I am feeding 4 adults (one of which is an 18 year old boy). 

I'm feeding 4 people as well - two of them 18 year old boys who happen to work plumbing (AKA hard manual labor that leaves them ravenous when they get home) ?

I also laughed because on Sunday, we're having Salisbury steak as well! I don't plan breakfasts and only plan my lunches if I don't think I'll have enough leftovers. The boys are gone and the Man does his own thing. I might borrow some of this for my own personal planning because that looks delicious, though!

• Like 4

Dave needed the last of my grocery money to pay for parking at the hotel in Riga, so I am going to have to put today’s groceries on my credit card.  I will stay in budget and pick up what I will need for a batch cooked supper for next week (thinking chilli) and a pack of bacon. And also some cream for my coffee because I am almost out. I should have everything I need for lunches next week in the fridge already, although I forgot to look this morning before I left the house. 

I am really proud of all of us for doing what we need to do to make ourselves more secure. That is really good work, Friends. ❤️ 

• Like 4

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 8/26/2023 at 8:23 AM, Darciana said:

I'm feeding 4 people as well - two of them 18 year old boys who happen to work plumbing (AKA hard manual labor that leaves them ravenous when they get home)

Yikes!  Feeding one is expensive enough, but two! ?  

I don't plan breakfasts and only plan my lunches if I don't think I'll have enough leftovers.

I put breakfast on there to remind myself what I am eating and what we need. And for lunches they are sometimes leftovers, but with minion #2 needing lunch as well (commutes to college - 3 hours on the bus RT each day), I have to budget in food for him. 

. I might borrow some of this for my own personal planning because that looks delicious, though!

Borrow as much as you would like!  I am always open for sharing how to cut money on what is (in our family) one of our largest expenses and the one we have the ability to impact the most.

• Like 3

2024 Word

Current Challenge:

Sepherina Focuses

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

I've been a bit absent here for the last couple of weeks, but things are going ok. I've had 22 spend-free days in the past 28 (by my rules), which I'm pretty happy with. One thing I've got much better at is taking a snack box lunch to work if I'm not able to take leftovers or make a sandwich, and I'm finding that's actually filling enough too.

Sounds like you guys are doing well too, despite the universe throwing unexpected bills at you.

I wouldn't mind continuing this challenge for at least another challenge cycle. I'm dropping to part-time hours at work next month, which I'm mega excited about, but it will impact my income so I could do with a little extra fiscal discipline to start me off right.

• Like 5

Level 21 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 18  -  CON: 22  -  CHA: 11  -  SAN: 19  -  INT: 17

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Jarric: The 'C' Team

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map - 2022 road map/wrap-up

So... I might be adopting a 3rd kitten.  Seeing my last paycheck realizes I have control over my money in one way - I have available hours. 

Getting a 3rd though means I need more cat friendly furniture... A friend of mine recommended I look on facebook. Forgetting the benefits of living in the cities, a lot of people within a 30 min drive.  So a spending spree coming soon because there are so many nice ones out there for under $100!

Before said spending spree, I will be needing to sit down with my budget. In the past I would just do weekly pay check in YNAB, but since I need a little bit more enforcement I need to make time for the envelope method and getting cash for each one. 

So before I buy a cat tree I will have sat down for my weekly money check i!

• Like 3

"Operation Bad*ss" Starts 9/1/2024

Quest 1: Level up Basecamp

Not much to update on here. I'm still managing. A few oopsies (autopay didn't zero out like I thought it had when I submitted a slightly larger payment), I'm doing well. Right now, I'm on a standard no-spend as this paycheck has to last a week and a half until the mortgage, insurance, electricity, internet, and other minor bills come out. Unless there's an unexpected surprise, I'll have enough, but I rather like not taking any chances until my bills clear as they all take several days to hit my account.

I have managed to cut down on my grocery bill by pre-planning meals. I'll be taking into account what leftovers I have from meals this week and will then make a meal plan for next week that can use up some of those items, especially the perishable items. Not only reducing waste, but saving money! Win-win. It's also forcing me to try new recipes and cook more. The Man appreciates me cooking more and I appreciate the opportunity to learn and become more confident in the kitchen outside of baking.

I'm attempting to find additional ways for me to reduce my spending. I've lowered my phone tier - I have never gone over 2GB of HotSpot and the next tier down covers up to 3GB and it's $20/month cheaper. The Man is maintaining his tier as it keeps HBO Max (Or MAX as it's now called....) and we use that fairly often. I will continue this trend through the remainder of the year with little spends such as a couple sweaters/long sleeves for cooler months as I need them and they're time-dependent. But I'm definitely going to be very mindful about those spends and do my research so I can avoid overspending when there are cheaper, but just as good, options.

• Like 4

Came in right on budget for the grocery bill this weekend. Hoping to not need any midweek runs.

There has been spending this week thus far though. We have been telling our minions for about 2 years we would get a dog. Well, Friday we went to an open adoption event and Sunday we were notified that one of the foster parents felt our home would be a good fit for one of their 10 week old puppies. So Sunday we have a meet and greet and if everything goes well our family will be bringing home our first dog.

Except we have nothing for a puppy which means things need to be purchased. But… PUPPY!!!! She is super cute and friendly (we met her briefly at the event). So I have taken money from our savings to make sure we have the things she needs. But it also means there is spending. I am trying to also make sure that we get stuff that will grow with her (crate/bed) so I don’t have to buy a larger item later.  She is from a litter that was rescued so we have no idea what her breed is.  Crossing our fingers that the Sunday meet/greet goes well and we get to bring her into our home forever. 

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 2

2024 Word

Current Challenge:

Sepherina Focuses

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

On 8/24/2023 at 6:41 AM, Sepherina said:

I am also considering buying extra peaches this week.  They are in season and under a $1/pound.

or making a peach cobbler is always nice, too. :) 

❤️ 

• Like 3

&Heidi

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid  Level 12 Philosopher and level 11 Librarian (built on the Monk class, with a training path in The Way of the Cobalt Soul)

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

Spending update: Obviously surgery is expensive, not just for the procedure but in all the million other things surrounding it, from medications and special dietary considerations to increased energy use (a month's laundry in 24 hours, twice -- I swear the dryer was in near-constant use most of the week) and LazyGirl meals with my daughter. I am very grateful I have the capability to support this, financially, and this is a win. It also means that I have a long-term financial recovery to go along with my long-term physical recovery. All will be well.

Which brings me to going forward. I kind of like that this challenge had a definite beginning and end. I would like a Low-Spend (as opposed to no spending which kind of made me feel guilty :) )  debt-slayer focus for the next bit. For my part, my main goals are to get my credit card balances below 25% and to increase my savings. I'm looking forward to next round and am happy to help brainstorm ways we can do that. I'm happy to follow @Sovalis, or to help take a rotation if she'd like a break from leading.

Right now my "official" credit card balances are at 32% -- success is so close! ("Official" balance means what the credit agencies see, which takes weeks to update after a payment but somehow shoots right up after I make a charge.) Anything over 30% drags my credit rating into the gutter, and I'd really like to get back to the credit rating I had last year. 

• Like 4

&Heidi

Spoiler

A little later this week, but here is our meal plan and grocery list.  This week most stores have semi okay deals on meat for the US holiday weekend so it is a good time to stock up.  The budget for us is a bit higher because of this ($200).

Meal Plan

Spoiler
  • Sunday
    • Lunch - Leftovers
    • Dinner - Ribs, salad and rolls
  • Monday
    • Lunch - PBJ
    • Dinner - Leftovers
  • Tuesday
    • Lunch - Egg Salad
    • Dinner - Chicken with Roasted grapes, garlic and Rosemary
  • Wednesday
    • Breakfast - Oatmeal
    • Lunch - Leftovers
    • Dinner - Fall Roasted Grain Bowls
  • Thursday
    • Breakfast - Oatmeal
    • Lunch - Asian Meatballs with broccoli and rice
    • Dinner - Tilapia with sautéed zucchini
  • Friday
    • Lunch - Asian Meatballs with broccoli and rice
    • Dinner - Potato Soup
  • Saturday
    • Lunch - Fend/Leftovers
    • Dinner - Hamburgers with baked beans and chips

Grocery List

Spoiler
  • Aldi ($124 budgeted)
    • Hamburger Buns ($2.00)
    • Bananas(3 lbs ~ $2.00)
    • Grapes (3 lbs ~ $2.00)
    • Spinach ($3.00)
    • Romaine Lettuce ($3.00)
    • Cucumber (1 ~ $1.00)
    • Zucchini ($3.00)
    • Broccoli ($3.00)
    • Tomatoes (1 pkg ~ $3.00)
    • Carrots ($2.00)
    • Brussels Sprouts ($3.00)
    • Goat Cheese ($2.00)
    • Shredded Cheese ($3.00)
    • Turkey ($4.00)
    • Frito Lay Chips ($10.00)
    • Fruit Snacks ($6.00)
    • Mayo ($6.00)
    • Cereal ($6.00)
    • Granola Bars ($3.00)
    • Coffee KPods (2 boxes ~ $10.00)
    • Flour (5 lb ~ $3.00)
    • Tilapia ($12.00)
    • Spare ribs (SALE MEAT $2.29/lb $10.00)
    • Bacon (1 ~ $6.00)
    • Butter (1 lbs ~$4.00)
    • Milk (1 gal $5.00)
    • Eggs (2 doz ~ $3.00)
    • Hashbrowns ($4.00)
  • Shop n Save ($17 budgeted)
    • Chicken Thighs and Legs (SALE MEAT .99/lb $7.00)
    • Pork chops Center cut (SALE MEAT BOGO $10.00)
  • Giant Eagle ($55 budgeted)
    • 80/20 Ground Beef (SALE MEAT 2.49/lb $15.00)
    • Chicken Breasts (SALE MEAT BOGO $12.00?)
    • Ketchup (SALE 2/$9. $9.00)
    • Juice Boxes (2 ~ $6.00)
    • Charcoal ($10.00)
    • Oranges (3 ~$3.00)

• Like 2

2024 Word

Current Challenge:

Sepherina Focuses

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

Last week's surgery-oriented grocery spending is carrying me through this week, so I feel pretty solid about not grocery shopping today. If I need anything it might just be baking a loaf of bread, and I have everything on had to do that. All I really want to eat is soup anyway, partly because of recovering and partly becuase the weather has taken a decidedly autumnal turn.

August credit score went up 44 points, which is great.

My score took a 100+ point hit when I a) applied for a card (mild hit from a hard inquiry), b) got the card (medium hit from shortened overall credit age), and then maxed out the card to transfer a balance from a 30% loan to a 0% introductory period (major hit to percentage of overall credit used).

My goal for next round is to continue to decrease the total card balances/improve my credit score and increase savings.

• Like 2

&Heidi

Spoiler

Transparency: spent about $25 on tickets and concessions at the high school football game last night, and $30 in Uber fare. At some point I'll need to add up my monthly Uber costs, but I'm pretty sure it's still less than owning a car. 

Also ordered necessary neck strap and more reeds for my daughter's saxophone, total was just under $50.

• Like 2

&Heidi

Spoiler

I finally got my Jeep back. $432 and change. It went on a credit card but that's mainly due to needing to pay it off across at least 2 paychecks and my mortgage and insurance bills haven't cleared the bank yet for me to properly assess my balance/adjust my budget for other upcoming bills. This isn't the card I'm focused on paying off by the end of the year, but that's because it's such a low interest rate whereas the payoff focus one is super high. Must be mindful. I may put an extra $100 towards the Jeep cost a for 4 months so I can still focus on paying off the other card ASAP.

I'm going grocery shopping today I hope. I'm still finalizing my list since a lot of things are a bit iffy with this holiday weekend (with us working on finishing the guest bathroom, we're not promising to go out to anyone's to hang out and eat - do I buy the food for here or do I not? That is the question. I want to knock it out today if possible as tomorrow will be hectic with all the last-minute shoppers. At least if I go early enough this morning, a lot of people will be in church, too, helping limit the crowd. Anyway, as of now, my estimate is $130 but I have to maybe buy sides for today/tomorrow. At least those are fairly cheap.

I'm going to be participating in a Low/No-Spend September for my personal challenge where I limit my spending with exception of a few things. For example, yesterday we went to Marshall's and I found 2 sweaters for $16 and $19. That's the cheapest I've found so far so I went ahead and got them (it was also loot for completing this initial challenge). It's on my time-sensitive need list (I only have 2 long sleeves and 2 sweaters to get me through this winter, now 4 sweaters! Cozy <3) I do want to buy my necklace replacement after I've been without it for a month. I'm still missing it and I still reach for it which means that it's meaningful to me and worth the money. Not really time sensitive, but it's a spiritual item that really centers me when I need it and with people-focused holidays coming up quickly, I need something to help me ground and keep calm. Another loot item, this one was for managing an entire month with doing something, anything, spiritual. (Okay, I just ordered it because it's on Labor Day sale for $11 with $3 shipping. Still less than what the necklace costs when not on sale. Plus, I earned the loot so why not save money on it due to sale?)

Now that's over, I want to focus on spending only when necessary/a need and to otherwise pay off debt. I think the Man is on board with me trying to knock that out as we have upcoming personal trips where we'll be spending and I'd like to not be weighed down by a bunch of debt. Let's hope this goes smoothly. Budget is front and center for daily check ins!

• Like 1

Are we doing Low-Spend/No-Spend here or making a new PVP thread?

&Heidi

Spoiler