Forums are back in action! ×

On 3/8/2017 at 7:00 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

It was a good day again.  School, in general, is a pile of shit.  The student's behavior has gotten worse as we've finally started to knuckle down (it always gets worse before it gets better), it's budget time and lots of folks have been warned that they'll be laid off (4th year in a row I'll have a new math teacher neighbor), teachers and the union are warring with administration over the lack of a school behavior plan or procedures.

Start giving the parents detention for poor parenting resulting in poor students behavior.

• Like 2

Current Challenge 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Diet is 80% of losing weight, exercise is 80% of motivation.

The only thing I am 100% sure of is my ability to be wrong.

On March 8, 2017 at 7:33 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

So much of life gets better the more you master this skill.

I imagine.  It's not natural for a teacher though. 

On March 8, 2017 at 7:42 PM, Xena said:

canned peas

low salt tomato juice

Canned peas? Does anyone really eat those?

On March 8, 2017 at 7:43 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

dehydrated water

:)

On March 8, 2017 at 7:55 PM, Marauder said:

truth. 

Trail dogs are EVERYWHERE here. Haven't seen anyone using a broom though. :) 

Sad food aisle:

fat free cheese of any kind 

Fat-free cheese can't be a thing. 

I should move to Utah. Trails, trail dogs, and holidays about eating pie and drinking beer. It sounds perfect. 

On March 9, 2017 at 9:16 AM, elizevdmerwe said:

Hat's off to you! You are making the best of the situation your finding yourself in.

Thanks.  

On March 9, 2017 at 0:55 PM, Fonzico said:

How's the hammer training going? Nudge nudge.

I've started hammering again, but I haven't run yet.  It's gotten cold again and I'm wimpy. 

On March 10, 2017 at 1:28 AM, Big_Show said:

The rest of your school should follow the Way of the Sloth.

I've often thought that if more people were like me there would be a lot fewer problems at our school. 

On March 10, 2017 at 5:40 AM, peelout said:

Start giving the parents detention for poor parenting resulting in poor students behavior.

:) several years ago we had an assistant principal that required parents to come in and meet regularly if they had a student that was failing two or more classes. We discussed their behavior and choices and what they could be doing better. By the end of th year we went from a group of ~35 to 3.  Those 3 chose a different school for the next year. Unfortunately, every time we get a good administrator they get promoted away from us.  

• Like 9

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

3/10/17

This is the kind of thing that the teachers and administration is fighting about: I walked up to a student who was holding a chair out over a stairwell (~20' / 6m up) threatening to throw it at people. I sent him to the behavior room were he stayed for 10 or 15 minutes 'cause he did it for funsies.  This appalls me, but I can't do much about it, but it's hard to let go and move on.  

We went to the first church basement fish fry of the season.  Always a good time, but there wasn't much there I could eat. 

Training: 2 rounds shovelglove, Slothboy wanted help with a project and I ran out of time and didn't finish.  I still,haven't run. 

Eating: Mostly, I'm experimenting with pasta, otherwise on point. 

Spending: no new spending, Accts are balanced. 

Right now I'm having a really bad bout of Slothbelly.  Way worse than the sphagetti would do, plus the timing is wrong.  I said "fuck it" on the way to circus class and bought some glazed doughnuts.  If I'm going to do the time, I might as well enjoy the crime. 

• Like 11

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

1 hour ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Training: 2 rounds shovelglove

You are still the only person I know who does shovegloving.  Strange. lol

Spending: no new spending, Accts are balanced. 

Eventually you will see the power of the dark side and join me in my pursuit of free CC money.  Although you do have to be careful.  I spotted a $49 charge on an Amazon CC I opened so I could get a $50 discount on my first Amazon online purchase.  Apparently they upgraded me to Premium user which I did not ask for but costs $49 dollars for.  Had to call in and get that removed.  I'm currently waiting for a new Chase card that will give me 4 free stays at a Holiday Inn (It will be my 3rd time for this one).  I've been upping my game on this and am putting together a worksheet on my budget spreadsheet to track all these.  Have to remember cancellation dates so you can sign up again 2 years after cancelling.  I'm thinking I should just make this my full time job.

This is the kind of thing that the teachers and administration is fighting about: I walked up to a student who was holding a chair out over a stairwell (~20' / 6m up) threatening to throw it at people. I sent him to the behavior room were he stayed for 10 or 15 minutes 'cause he did it for funsies.  This appalls me, but I can't do much about it, but it's hard to let go and move on.  

Don't you dare discipline my Johnny.  He has PTSD from a sloth bite at age 5 and is not responsible for anything.  You need to start being more understanding.

• Like 3

Current Challenge 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Diet is 80% of losing weight, exercise is 80% of motivation.

The only thing I am 100% sure of is my ability to be wrong.

On March 11, 2017 at 11:39 AM, peelout said:

You are still the only person I know who does shovegloving.  Strange. lol

Eventually you will see the power of the dark side and join me in my pursuit of free CC money.  Although you do have to be careful.  I spotted a $49 charge on an Amazon CC I opened so I could get a $50 discount on my first Amazon online purchase.  Apparently they upgraded me to Premium user which I did not ask for but costs $49 dollars for.  Had to call in and get that removed.  I'm currently waiting for a new Chase card that will give me 4 free stays at a Holiday Inn (It will be my 3rd time for this one).  I've been upping my game on this and am putting together a worksheet on my budget spreadsheet to track all these.  Have to remember cancellation dates so you can sign up again 2 years after cancelling.  I'm thinking I should just make this my full time job.

Don't you dare discipline my Johnny.  He has PTSD from a sloth bite at age 5 and is not responsible for anything.  You need to start being more understanding.

@Tzippi Longstockings does shovelglove, there used to be a few of us here, but most moved on to something else. 

This is is probably the first time in my life I've actually kept my checking account balanced. The chance that I would successful with something that requires me to use a spreadsheet to track is very small. But you keep being you.

Johnny antagonized the sloth. He got what he deserved. 

On March 11, 2017 at 11:42 AM, lynneta said:

Love it.hammer time..love working out with my kettle bell too.im kind of new to the site.just started my own battle log.ill be posting daily.

Looking forward to making some friends  here.

Welcome to my little corner.  KBs are great, I hope I'm an get back to mine soon. I'll check out your log. :) 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

@Tzippi Longstockings does shovelglove, there used to be a few of us here, but most moved on to something else. 

YEAH! Sledgehammer work makes me feel all

KL-SwingingSledgeHammerGirl-60x80.jpg

• Like 8

Tzippi Longstockings, level 9 Ranger/Monk 

Battle Log - My Fitness Pal - Quest to Find My Epic Quest - Challenges:   #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7,

The Westerosi Fitness Tour: Dorne Stormlands Vale the Reach Westerlands The Wall 

MamaBear Kiss Off Waterbending Rounding <<Current

On 3/11/2017 at 0:39 PM, peelout said:

AHAHAHA laughing and crying, the truth, it hurts~

Kid holding a chair over a stairwell would get a piledrive from me into the concrete.  Well, at least in my imagination. Sigh.

• Like 4

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

This is is probably the first time in my life I've actually kept my checking account balanced. The chance that I would successful with something that requires me to use a spreadsheet to track is very small. But you keep being you.

Johnny antagonized the sloth. He got what he deserved. 

Welcome to my little corner.  KBs are great, I hope I'm an get back to mine soon. I'll check out your log. :) 

Thanks for the welcome..yea I love my kb.wish I could swing heavier but fir now 10 lbs is what I can handle.

You can do it.

• Like 1

3/11/17 & 3/12/17

My bout with Slothbelly turned out to be the plague and not due to something I ate. I spent the entirety of the day either in the toilet or dozing on the couch. Sunday was similar.  I did get up long enough to finally change out the switch in the bedroom and to install a new receptacle. 

Eating: No, ate doughnuts and cookies mostly. 

Training: I rode the trainer Sunday night at an easy level for an hour. 

Spending: bought doughnuts and coffee with petty cash, Accts remained balanced. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Tzippi Longstockings said:

YEAH! Sledgehammer work makes me feel all

KL-SwingingSledgeHammerGirl-60x80.jpg

I love it. That'd be a great poster in the sloth-dojo. 

5 hours ago, shaar said:

AHAHAHA laughing and crying, the truth, it hurts~

Kid holding a chair over a stairwell would get a piledrive from me into the concrete.  Well, at least in my imagination. Sigh.

They tend end not to like it when teachers pile drive the students. I think you can still get with it in Alabama. 

5 hours ago, lynneta said:

Thanks for the welcome..yea I love my kb.wish I could swing heavier but fir now 10 lbs is what I can handle.

You can do it.

:)  My with has RA too.  It's awesome that you're working through it.  

4 hours ago, The Most Loathed said:

If you need a hand with that new snow while you recover, you have my number. 

You're a kind man TML.  Cyndi did the shoveling for me.  I would have just waited for it to melt.  Considering how long the previous snow has lasted this year it would only be a couple of days. 

3 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

When it comes to enabling parents:

I had a parent meeting today that was a doozy. I can't really go into details, but a little discipline would go a long way. I still maintain that regular chores are about the best thing you can do for your kids. Children are by far your most expensive investment, you might as well put the time in to make sure it pays off. 

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

They tend end not to like it when teachers pile drive the students. I think you can still get with it in Alabama. 

:)  My with has RA too.  It's awesome that you're working through it.  

You're a kind man TML.  Cyndi did the shoveling for me.  I would have just waited for it to melt.  Considering how long the previous snow has lasted this year it would only be a couple of days. 

I had a parent meeting today that was a doozy. I can't really go into details, but a little discipline would go a long way. I still maintain that regular chores are about the best thing you can do for your kids. Children are by far your most expensive investment, you might as well put the time in to make sure it pays off. 

It may limit what I can do but it won't.stop me.hope your wife is not in too much pain.

Feel better sweetie.your doing awesome!

• Like 1

3/13/17 Monday although I'm already Friday tired.  Stupid DST. 

I'm sitting near a Chinese woman at circus class, her conversation is slipping in and out of German, proper English, and Chinese. I realize most of the world is bilingual or better and I feel inadequate.  Otherwise It has been a good day; I feel like it's been a while. We did this (see below) in class today and no learning happened. It was fun though; we need that sometimes.  Health seems good, but I'm tired and weak.  

Training: 3 rounds Shovelglove @ 12#. 2 days in a row.

Eating: Back on point, my Saturday variances don't seem to have had a long term effect. 2 days in a row. 

Spending: No new spending, Accts balanced.  I moved money out of savings to cover car and phone payment. The school district spreads our salary out over 26 biweekly payments.  Every dozen years the have to skip a payment because there are slightly more days than 52 weeks.  It is happening at the end of summer and teachers are in a tizzy. I do an auto pay into my savings acct to cover Mrs. Sloth's summer off and I bumped it up this year, so we'll be okay. 

• Like 10

That sounds like the exact thing I'm using YNAB for - make it easier to cope with the unexpected, but also the expected-but-really-far-off-still-oh-crap-it's-next-week

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Big Show: Human Swift Hunter

Respawning. One day at a time.

Battle Log: Operation Wedding Suit - Take 2

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 

Bi-lingual anecdote... I'm trying to learn Mandarin Chinese at the moment and one of our homework tasks was to make a name for ourselves based on our English name. Teacher had to re-name me because I accidentally named myself "Boogers". Fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7
13 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

We did this (see below) in class today and no learning happened. It was fun though; we need that sometimes.

Oh I think some learning did happen, it will come out at some point when someone blows on a straw to irritate you :P As soon as I have good earplugs, I'll let the boys have a go as that sounds too much like the South African vuvuzelas - very loud on one note.

With regards to the kids at school and their parents: would be nice if the parents could be put in detention at times. I see it in HS sometimes as well. Little Johnny acts a certain way because his parents couldn't care less, or also has that attitude, or parents are too busy to really pay attention, etc.

Speaking more than one language isn't always nice. Most of the time I'm trying to find my way between British English, American English (I'm picking up) and South African English (no it isn't proper British English, even if it is supposed to be). What I love about multiple languages is that some languages just have "that word" that describes a feeling or situation perfectly!

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

2 hours ago, Yasha92 said:

Bi-lingual anecdote... I'm trying to learn Mandarin Chinese at the moment and one of our homework tasks was to make a name for ourselves based on our English name. Teacher had to re-name me because I accidentally named myself "Boogers". Fail.

worked out ok for this guy

booger.png

• Like 2

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

On 3/8/2017 at 8:00 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

It occured to me that they should have a sad food aisle at the grocery store - it could have rice cakes, gluten free bread, sugar-free candy, decaf coffee.

On 3/8/2017 at 8:42 PM, Xena said:

canned peas

large.cd49af6716fc33ef4ebab654c668d6c5.jpg.0564a7e3c055531feb8568831fc5cdef.jpg

• Like 3

the year of living trippily

Final Boss, Part 2    Boss, Part 1  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

20 hours ago, shaar said:

Kid holding a chair over a stairwell would get a piledrive from me into the concrete. 

You're better than me, I would have just pushed him down the stairs...

14 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

One of the trainers in my gym has been doing a bulk (very successfully; he now resembles a grizzly bear) and as part of his cutting routine he's doing 1,000 (actual number) sledgehammer slams on the giant tire... every day

• Like 1

the year of living trippily

Final Boss, Part 2    Boss, Part 1  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

18 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I used to tell people that I kept having kids (I have five) because they're free labor. Turns out "free" is a funny word.

18 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I'm sitting near a Chinese woman at circus class, her conversation is slipping in and out of German, proper English, and Chinese. I realize most of the world is bilingual or better and I feel inadequate.

Most of the women who work the counter at the Chipotle where I eat lunch more regularly than I'd like to admit speak Spanish natively and if it weren't for their bilingual capabilities, I'd be reduced to pointing and grunting.

• Like 2

Rebel Scum Current Challenge