Forums are back in action! ×

» captain's log [shaar: v. battle log]

I love that first Mortal Kombat film! Ah, happy memories...

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Big Show: Human Swift Hunter

Respawning. One day at a time.

Battle Log: Operation Wedding Suit - Take 2

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 

8 hours ago, Big_Show said:

I love that first Mortal Kombat film! Ah, happy memories...

Gosh it is the best in ultimate cheese isn't it???

Weekly Updates

Deadlift Day went well yesterday.  Felt some crankiness in my hamstring - glute - lower back on the right so kept my sets Basic(tm) at 135.  Better safe than sorry~

Did a 6 minute row for 728m.  Yippee!  I'm finding I gravitate to a short row after DL/Pull day so that's kinda nice.  I don't hate it terribly.  Also did assisted chins/upright rows/bent rows.  Rest day today!

Persona 5 drops today and ugh I'm furiously distracting myself into NOT mashing the "Purchase and Pick Up at Store" option. 

tumblr_ol2w7rfb3P1w1o5ofo2_1280.jpg

I got my car the FLIGHT UPGRADE in FFXV and so ok you can fly open world, and it's easy to get up there - wait - no - I Game Over'ed twice by clipping a lamppost and dissolving into a fiery crash - but then once you get up there you gotta LAND the sucker and Ignis is no help to me now and it's all me trying to land and you have to land neatly on a road NOT in a steaming inferno next to a mountain or in a combustible pile in the chocobo farm.  Learning curve activate.  ACTIVATE.  I think I kinda got it though.  I took off and landed twice with no crashes, kinda like a driving test or something.

Honestly the Flying Antics of the Regalia were the most notable point of my day yesterday, so I will consider that a Good Thing. ^______________^

• Like 7

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

Weekly Updates

My laaaaaawdy do I have the biggest case of the I Dun Wannas today at work!!!!!!!!!!

tumblr_ol4jft8Brg1ukr4a8o1_400.gif

IT ME

I am out of my protein supplement and have an order on the way.  In the meantime this morning instead of protein pudding I'm shoveling cold chicken and ranch dressing into my face.  Acceptable substitute.

Legs done yesterday, push day including bench (blech) today.  Feeling less fatigued on a Thursday - sometimes the last workout of the week is a super struggle - but today felt good!  Did another 6min row today and tried real hard to get to 800m but fell SO SHORT at 792.  Seriously.  SERIOUSLY.  I think I'm gonna try to do a short row at least once a week, it's good conditioning and I don't hate it.  Now I have a distance goal to get to too.  My last 6min row was 729m so I've improved!

Still holding out on not buying Persona 5 hhgnngnfgdf.  Overwatch released a new comic yesterday full of ALL MOST OF MY FAVORITE THINGS and there's probably a new event/skins/stuff coming up soon!!!!!!!  Officially at 72 hours playtime in FFXV as of last night.  Lordy.

Sometimes I feel like a lone wolf nerd 'cause my nerding is so different than most other nerding, it seems to me most nerds can talk about marvel or dc movie things or guardians of the galaxy or something, nerdstuff I don't like that seems more common??, but I'm in my small bubble over here like HEEEY BLACKWATCH GENJI, AND ALSO HERE IS THIS DISTURBING SCHOOL SETTING JRPG I'M DIGGING OK BYE or something.  Howling and flailing into the void 10/10~

tumblr_inline_onyg7oB0k01uyq9lx_540.png

Goals - Be Blackwatch Genji.

Not much else for now, it's been a Great Week and I'm feeling good!! ^_________^ Physical, mental, A+ good stuff.  Spring is definitely here and that helps.  All of our flowers are like P O W and everything is green and it's really lovely~ :D:D

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, shaar said:

My laaaaaawdy do I have the biggest case of the I Dun Wannas today at work!!!!!!!!!!

ME TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo88888

ddfsdf

15 minutes ago, shaar said:

Physical, mental, A+ good stuff.  Spring is definitely here and that helps.  All of our flowers are like P O W and everything is green and it's really love

BOMB

Now I feel motivated to plant some springtime flowers in my courtyard and hope I remember to water them

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, shaar said:

AND ALSO HERE IS THIS DISTURBING SCHOOL SETTING JRPG I'M DIGGING OK BYE

I meaaaaan, persona is the best. I'm too busy with the latest Legend of Zelda game to play it, but it's on my list! 

• Like 1

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 49

2022 challenges:  49 (current)

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

5 hours ago, shaar said:

Sometimes I feel like a lone wolf nerd 'cause my nerding is so different than most other nerding, it seems to me most nerds can talk about marvel or dc movie things or guardians of the galaxy or something, nerdstuff I don't like that seems more common??, but I'm in my small bubble over here like HEEEY BLACKWATCH GENJI, AND ALSO HERE IS THIS DISTURBING SCHOOL SETTING JRPG I'M DIGGING OK BYE or something.  Howling and flailing into the void 10/10~

I know pretty much nothing about Marvel or DC. 

Most of my nerding out is over video games. But not World of Warcraft, or Assassin's Creed, or any of the newer Final Fantasy games, or... well quite a few of the other more popular games. I can go on for ages about the Borderlands games, the Mass Effect games, and Final Fantasy VI. ^_^

And I can nerd out over D&D. Just don't ask me about anything after 3.5. And I don't remember much about anything before 3rd edition cause I was pretty young when I played that.

I'm reasonably knowledgeable about anime and manga, but some of the more popular ones I just couldn't get into, like Deathnote and Attack on Titan. I also didn't really like Akira, though it's a classic and it feels like you kind of have to like it to be an anime nerd. I do really like the soundtrack though, hella creepy. And current stuff I'm pretty hit or miss on cause I don't have nearly as much time for it as I used to.

• Like 2

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

12 minutes ago, zeroh13 said:

I know pretty much nothing about Marvel or DC. 

Me too. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the movie stuff, but I know zip about the comics. My nerding is more about specific games (so, not Assassin's Creed, but YES Final Fantasy to the max, with a bit of a WoW history that doesn't involve much interest in that lore, and a ton of hours in Skyrim, The Sims franchise, and some others here and there and lately OMG STARDEW VALLEY). I like fantasy novels but haven't really ever plodded through LotR (I am a heretic, I know). I like sci-fi but have never read Dune (that's a sci-fi right?), I loved Dr Who but didn't ever see the original show, Battlestar Galatica too. Um. I really like to read about space science but find a lot of the astrophysics talk over my head. I LOVE imaginative paranormal supernatural type stories, so I will geek about about stuff like that. I like gadgets but am not super well-versed in what the best hardware is or anything. I can build my own PC and have a tech-oriented job, but wouldn't consider myself an expert on... really... anything. Except for when I was deeply invested in FF11 and I wrote a really intense guide on being good at pulling mobs for exp parties. vOv I dunno what kind of nerd I AM, but surely I definitely qualify. Still, it's rare to find an exact nerd match, even here in a place where everyone's a nerd about something!

I dunno jack about anime or manga, except for that about 13 years ago my ex-husband made me watch some animes. Also about 9 years ago I watched Evangelion at the request of a friend. I liked it okay??? 

NERDS

<3

• Like 1

What they said. Old school RPGs, anime, and action figures of said same all the way. Let's Plays are my jam. I don't do Neflix/Hulu/Amazon shows and care not for Marvel vs DC. We come in all packages.

• Like 1

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

Yurp. All packages.

I love the Marvel movies, but didn't read comics as a kid, so my entire reference for Marvel or D.C. Revolves around 90s cartoons.

Watched some anime in college - remember very little about it and enjoyed most of what I saw.

Don't have the coordination or patience for video games.

Read mostly horror & sci-fi and will nerd right the F out on those.

Love me some pop culture fandoms (pretty much anything involving space or dragons) - but not enough to get all encyclopedic knowledge about them; that I reserve for useless facts.

Love space & history & food & science & propaganda & design & typography.

And crafts. I get giddy when there are crafts around.

So yep, all types.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Level 87 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 8485 | 86 | 87  ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

Yeah, each to their own nerdiness. Personally I'll go with tabletop RPGs, wrestling and videogames from my childhood-teenage years. No comics, no Marvel or DC, minimum anime/manga (Lone Wolf&Cub, Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Vampire Hunter D and that's about it). We're all very passionate about something very specialized, which makes it all the more awesome when we finally discover others like us and are able to share our weird nerddoms.

• Like 2

Lvl 65 Multitasker

#PovertyNerd

You do you. 😙

• Like 2

Big Show: Human Swift Hunter

Respawning. One day at a time.

Battle Log: Operation Wedding Suit - Take 2

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 

On April 6, 2017 at 3:59 PM, zeroh13 said:

I also didn't really like Akira, though it's a classic and it feels like you kind of have to like it to be an anime nerd. I do really like the soundtrack though, hella creepy. And current stuff I'm pretty hit or miss on cause I don't have nearly as much time for it as I used to.

That's because Akira is terrible. :ambivalence:

• Like 2

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

@Tanktimus the Encourager: Whaaaaaaat even? Nerd: [emoji736] poverty: [emoji777]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Level 87 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 8485 | 86 | 87  ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

Aaahhh you guys are kinda the best~

tumblr_ohcyyoVo6J1qd79gyo2_540.gif

(But you knew that already Y/Y?)

I was going to reply to everyone but I haven't had my coffee yet and, well, you know how that goes.  Overall I think we can all agree on the fact that, while Akira was an influental piece of anime, it sucks. XD The last real anime I watched and got seriously into was Attack on Titan, oh wait Yuri on Ice too, but I find I can't watch the majority of the 'newer stuff' because I just don't get attached to it as much as I used to?? (I do want to watch One Punch Man!)  I'm a gamer through and through with an extremely heavy bias towards JRPGs, I finished my top 10 list this weekend and boy am I a one trick pony.  I'm a nerd that's never played any sort of DnD!!  I think I've just never had the opportunity.

I think I'll just remember the words of our wise guild leader

23 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

We're all very passionate about something very specialized, which makes it all the more awesome when we finally discover others like us and are able to share our weird nerddoms.

Because it's true!!  I know one other person that's really into Persona right now, and it's a longtime friend of mine that's in Indonesia, and we haven't talked much lately but we've really been able to connect again and geek out over this game and I'm really grateful that he and I have this to reconnect over! ^___________^

tumblr_m0xxy8SjSl1qj948to1_540.png

NERD THINGS ASIDE

The Fitnessing has been going great.  I swear I'm going to retool some goals this weekend.  I rowed twice this week along with regular lifting and I enjoyed it, so that has to mean something, yeah? I don't really have any super life-changing... changes... just keep on keepin' on but I do need some sort of list to keep me accountable and collecting data for stuff.

Also an interesting thing of note I've wanted to talk about lately but haven't really yet... is my stomach.  Because it's flat.  What WHAAAT!??!!  The small belly bulge has been the bane of my existence for years but it's pretty much totally gone.  I'm amazed.  My nutrition lately is extremely dialed in but I think there are two other things contributing to this that both happened around the same time:

1. No more beer.  Right now I drink only on weekends and it's usually just clear liquor with ice.  Two drinks max because my tolerance is teeny.

2. No more hormonal birth control.  THIS ONE I think played a big big part.  I've heard so many accounts of women on BC that gained pounds because that's how it goes, side effect, etc.  I never figured it was me but I guess so??

Nnnnneat.  My clothes fit great and I haven't stepped on a scale in about a month so I guess that's all the telling I need!

HAPPY WEEKEEENNNDDD~~

• Like 7

My experience with anime is the original Pokemon.  I guess I just don't get them.  I am a scooby doo girl.  Loves me some Doo.  I do really get into the Marvel movies ( have an avengers belt, bag, & waterbottle), DC's okay, I like Batman, and grew up with Wonder Woman.  No comics, tho.  

Never did DnD, but would have prolly loved it.  Play Zelda, Skyrim, and currently Ori and the Blind Forest.  Which, for such a cute, pretty game, is hard.

• Like 2

Level -20 Zombie Princess

"The only way to lose is to give up."

-Tanktimus the Encourager

"You can't beat someone that refuses to give up”

-Björn Járnhamar

I think opportunity is a huge part of a lot of people's nerdoms. Like, I played a lot of D&D because both of my parents run campaigns (they've played it since high school, it's how they met). And I saw a lot of older anime because my parents watch a lot of anime (they got into it when I was about 5). And video games, etc. But my exposure to Marvel and DC has been mostly limited to 90s cartoons. And a few of the 00s movies. 

Persona is definitely on my gaming to-do list. So is Final Fantasy XV. One day...

5 hours ago, shaar said:

Nnnnneat.  My clothes fit great and I haven't stepped on a scale in about a month so I guess that's all the telling I need!

Awesome!!!!!!

• Like 2

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

Go shaar!! That's so great!

• Like 1

Weekly Updates

DEADLIFT DAAAAAAY!  Yay!  Mondays I've started to gravitate towards Deadlifts - OHP - Rowing and I kinda like it.  I don't feel rushed, I'm dead by the time I hit the locker room, so A++.

da69ec0192863656ee32bed9644e37d0.gif

OHP

45x8x2

45x5x2

55x3x3

DL

135x5x3

145x3x3

145x5x2

My head wasn't really in these at the start (Monday Doldrums), but I managed to dial it in and hit some sets of 5, whee~

Row

6 minutes, 840m

WOO managed to hit my goal of 800m!!!  Last week was 792 and I wanted to hit at least 800 this week, looks like I did pretty well!  I should have slowed down, I'm intimidated by beating 840 now................

Monday at work should be quiet today, so I'm planning on - well, work natch - but also disputing some more personal insurance claims (sigh) and trying to convince myself that I don't have throat cancer and my throat just feels weird from spring allergies (double sigh) (ex-hypochondriac shaar rears her ugly head) (begone foul demon!!)

Also here's my very l o n g Top 10 Video Games list complete with favorite characters and honorable mentions................

Spoiler

1. Suikoden 2 (Konami; Playstation, 1998)

This game will be forever number one.  No question. The magnum opus of JRPGs for me, so much nostalgia here.  

I didn’t really pick this one up until probably 2000 - IIRC it came out around the same time FFVIII did - so I was a little late to the game (pun intended?).  There really wasn’t a ton, if any?, marketing done for this one though, just a quiet 2D RPG release I probably saw at Blockbuster one night and grabbed for the week.

My only fault is the at-times laughable english translation but it’s so minimal that it’s almost charming to me.  The storyline, politics vs friendship and family and betrayal, the classic 2D turn-based party battles with a combat system where certain characters can combine in links of two or three to utilize special attacks, larger war-based strategy battles where you can hand-pick your units to tailor to your skills, the enormity of characters all with their own specializations, stories, personalities, and a certifiable Kefka-esque main villain; building your castle and watching it grow from the ground up as you recruit more people and unlock cooking mini-games and have a kraken in your docks, and a chick that helps do your laundry, and a guy that will build an elevator in your castle for you and a ‘comments’ box outside the main hall where you can read random notes and encouragements from your characters.  It’s charming and thoughtful and much more than it appears and while it’s certainly not for everybody, it’s definitely for me.

"My friend and I seal our thoughts here. We deeply regret that we could not make them one."

Favorite Characters - Flik, Viktor, Camus, Miklotov, Seed, Jowy.

2. Final Fantasy VI (Squaresoft; Super Nintendo, 1994)

Holy moly if any game gives S2 a run for its money it’d be this one.  FFVI (III in the US) was my first real RPG that sucked teenaged me in completely and just blew the genre wide open.

This was back in the day of physical rectangle-shaped game cartridges and pre-internet.  I rented the living crap out of this weekly until I got my own copy.  I sent a money order through the post office to Japan because I wanted the 3 disc soundtrack so bad and had to order it from the tiny merchandise order form in the back of the instruction booklet, no tracking number, just shipping it off into the void and hoping I’d receive a package a few weeks later. (I did.)  These were old-school times.

So many played hours on this.  So many replays.  The story, scenarios, distinct personality quirks and humanization of your main party and their struggles, ability to play not just one character as a main but switch off during different scenarios to experience things from another point of view... to me it really was the first ‘epic’ RPG and deserves all the critical acclaim it gets.

Favorite Characters - Locke, Setzer, Sabin, Edgar.

3. Final Fantasy VII (Squaresoft; Playstation, 1997)

This game released two days before my birthday and it was the reason I saved up all my little dollars and bought a Playstation.  Everyone that’s played this has a distinct memory locked in their mind of the first time they started the game and the camera panned in on Midgar and the music started and you started the Avalanche bombing run.  Like don’t TELL me that shit didn’t make you go “W H O A”.

Everyone’s played this, right?  Do I really need to say any more?  It’s just a classic. That soundtrack. Those FMV clips.  The angst, character development, the beginning of open world and non-linear exploration and fighting goddamn Emerald Weapon at the bottom of the ocean 4298 times.

I still dip back into this fandom from time to time to this day (i will watch advent children any day ngl) and am totally patiently (ha) awaiting the first part in the multi-part remake of this.

LET’S MOSEY~

Favorite Characters - Red XIII, Vincent, Rufus, Reno, Tseng.

4. World of Warcraft (Blizzard; PC, 2004)

Babby’s first MMO was a big one.  I played this game and its expansions on and off for about 10 years??? Good grief.  I remember making my first character (Night Elf hunter natch) and not knowing how to play, and trying to dodge enemy attacks and dying over and over and being like, why, WHY.  The MMO landscape was fundamentally different than anything I had ever played before and the learning curve was steep but it was also so very fun and enthralling.  

The exploration factor to me was huuuuge, I am a sucker for plot-driven open world environments and this filled that quota in spades.  Combine that with leveling and content and hey, the fact that you can play this with FRIENDS, wow, yeah ok revolutionary.  Loads of good memories with this one, from mailbox dancing to terrible holiday outfits to the Arena Team Struggle to thoroughly enjoying WoW PVP probably more than I should have, to raid chats and banter and banging our faces against Zul’Aman and Naxx and Ulduar and laughing and yelling and the hype when we cleared a new boss.  I haven’t played WoW in over a year now but I doubt I could ever go back because it just wouldn’t be the same.  Well, maybe I’d go back strictly for PVP.  One exception.

Favorite Expansion - Burning Crusade

Favorite Classes - Druid (tank/dps for content, resto for pvp), Shaman (resto for pvp), Priest (disc for pvp) (pretty much any healing class in pvp let’s be real)

5. Final Fantasy XV (Square Enix; Playstation 4, 2016)

This game.  Oof.  I didn’t even get it until February but it’s that important to me that it deserves a spot on this list.  This game held me in its thrall for at least 6 weeks, and that’s including the time I spent stalling and doodling around in the past because I really didn’t want to finish it because I KNEW what was coming.  I got emotional over this game way more than I expected, and Matt was lucky enough to witness my silent blank-stare sob-fest through the credits.  I’m at 73 hours played currently and ready to go back and play New Game + because IMO it’s that good.  

FFXV definitely has its flaws, boy howdy does it have them, and while some things did frustrate me about this game I can wholly overlook them because the standouts are just that much better.  Namely the visuals and environments, it’s just so -pretty-, but more important to me is the characters.  The dialogue and voice acting and interactions between the main 4 are just so top notch, like, far and away more than anything I’ve played, really thoughtfully and carefully crafted and it shows.  It took a bit to warm up to but after a few nights of playing this game just endeared itself to me like no other has.

Also of very important note of why this game is so highly rated; it’s rare for me to come across a character I can associate with wholly, to just ‘click’ personalities with and understand and feel like I can really relate to over the course of a game.  It happens fairly infrequently but when it does it makes everything so much more immersive and enjoyable for me as a player.  I was able to find it here in not one but two - I’m wholly convinced that I am 50% Gladio and 50% Prompto, for very different reasons, but both of these characters spoke to me in very certain and distinct situations throughout the story that it really just made me go ‘whoa’.  Prompto’s a fan favorite for many reasons, mainly his flaws because I think so many people can relate to him that way, but interestingly enough those aren’t the parts I relate to at all.  Gladio I think gets a bum rap as a character from the majority of fans because he can seem so one dimensional, but I could write you a 6 page essay on why I can empathize with why he’s so misunderstood and why I would champion him to the ends of the earth any day of the week. (I won’t do that.)

Favorite Characters - Gladio, Prompto, Ignis, Noctis, Ravus, Cor.

6. Super Metroid (Nintendo; Super Nintendo, 1994)

Ah the only platformer on my list!!  Very Young Me was always entranced by the regular Metroid for the NES because it was kinda mysterious and spooky.  Super Metroid improved on the original so much; the graphics for their time were just killer and the levels and puzzles were genuinely fun.  I sunk a lot of hours into this one too with a jillion replays to get all the suit mods and energy tanks. Great music.  I tried to replay this recently and wow it’s a lot harder than I remember...........

Can’t really do favorite characters here because there’s just one, but I always dug Ridley as a boss.

7. Final Fantasy XIV ( SquareEnix; PC, 2010, re-released 2013)

I so much wanted this game to be amazing, that I pre-ordered the original 2010 release before SE totally scrapped and shut everything down to remake this into A Realm Reborn.  I PLAYED the 2010 release.  It was bad. Sigh.  They did much better the second time around.

This is easily the prettiest MMO I’ve ever played.  We built our gaming computers top of the line to handle this game at its highest benchmark and boy oh boy was it a worthwhile investment.  The class system in this game is so clever and inventive that it keeps me coming back for more and never getting bored.  The environments and dungeons are beautiful and amazing and immersive, dungeon mechanics (especially in later duties) are real original and -fun-, like, I’ll run Xelphatol and Great Gubal Hardmode 500 times I don’t even care.  The gear is gorgeous, the storyline is dramatic and exciting, this soundtrack is probably in my top 10 gaming OST’s of all time, it’s just so all around excellent.

Favorite Characters: Estinien, Aymeric, Yda, Z’JAI KHA (me).

8. Chrono Trigger (Squaresoft; Super Nintendo, 1995)

TIME TRAVEL RPG.  TIME TRAVEL RPG.  Yesssss.  In a slew of strictly fantasy-style RPG’s the modern themes and environments of this were a breath of fresh air.  This game was SO COLORFUL.  Vibrant 2D sprite greatness.  Multiple in-game choices that can give you a variety of different endings.  Dinosaurs.  Sad robot plot themes.  The magical city of ZEAL.  I still have the Brink of Time arranged CD in my car.

Favorite Characters - Magus, Flea, Ayla, the singing robot cat from the Millennial Fair

9. Overwatch (Blizzard; PC, 2016)

I held off on playing this game for a L O N G T I M E because hey, it’s technically a FPS.  Which I am so, so, so terrible at. I eventually gave in around Christmas and have been hooked ever since.  It’s a FPS that’s really not and the amount of variety in this game is astounding and so. Much. Fun.

The combination of amazing characterizations and combat system is where this game really shines, Blizz makes these heroes really real and exciting to play.  They’re not just cardboard cutout gaming tropes, they all have a history and backstories and are extremely well detailed and thought out.  Each hero’s personality in this game is just really carefully constructed and it makes the game that much more endearing with interactions between characters and the voice acting.

The game is adaptable enough with so many different types of heroes/playstyles that literally anyone can dip their toe in and enjoy the game, and get better.  It’s really encompassing in many ways.

Favorite Characters - JACK MORRISON FOREVER. Genji, Lucio, Reaper, Junkrat, Reinhardt.

10. Final Fantasy VIII (Squaresoft; Playstation, 1999)

This game, this lovely bizarre plot-holes-a-plenty terrible dialogue game.  (Oh hey we were coincidentally all orphans but also coincidentally all forgot about it??? Ok cool) I tried playing this again recently and wowsers I guess 20 year old me was able to overlook some of the nonsensical bits of this one, but for the flaws it has some really great parts.  The overall storyline, I also really loved the draw system and Triple Triad, the characters - for the most part - were great and pretty relatable, sweet FMV, the garden settings, you got to go to OUTER SPACE, I mean, that was great.

This one is pure nostalgia plain and simple.

Favorite Characters - LAGUNA LOIRE, Selphie, Seifer, bits of Squall when he’s tired of dealing with everyone’s shit.

Honorable Mentions

Katamari Damacy (Namco, Playstation 2, 2004)

Holy heck nothing like this one out there.  This and We <3 Katamari are two of the most fun unique games ever.  I am really holding out for a more modern upgraded version of this someday??  

Final Fantasy IV (Squaresoft; Super Nintendo, 1991)

Never finished this one because man when you got to the moon shit got difficult.  But sweet lovely Kain nets this a mention, and so be it my love for dragoons to this day.

Earthbound (Nintendo; Super Nintendo, 1995)

What a wackadoodle crazy RPG.  Cartooney and bizarre and fun, boing~

Secret of Mana (Squaresoft; Super Nintendo, 1993)

Nostalgia bomb here too.  I really liked the circle menus a lot and variety with team weapons and summons.  Pretty, classic 2d sprite art FTW.

Silent Hill (Konami; Playstation, 1999)

BOY OH BOY many memories of playing this in my living room, and scaring the turds out of myself when dogs jumped through the window. The first real terrifying survival horror game.  I had a nightmare about this game involving fire and a piano in the basement and it was clearly so vivid I still remember it.

Persona 5 (Atlus; Playstation 4, 2017)

Shut up I know it’s only been out a week but I’ve logged 20 hours and I’m hoping against hope I can get Ryuji to date me. The art director for this better get some kind of award, it’s just killer to look at, the menus, the combat, everything. This game is scary good and scary addicting. Just one more school day, then I’ll save and quit..............................

• Like 5

Just now, ixaera said:

I have heard really good things about Persona 5. I may buy a used copy (I was kinda pissed at their shitty reasoning for not including a lady MC option)

I expected it to be pretty good but it's definitely surpassed expectations.  I played 3 a long time ago and it was fun but really difficult, they've improved a looot overall with this one.

I think the one gender MC reasoning is kind of disappointing but now playing the game I can kinda see why it would be a little bit of a PITA to have it be a choice.  I find the MC pretty darn androgynous anyway but yeah.

I'd definitely pick it up if it goes on sale or something!

• Like 2