Forums are back in action! ×

What's everyone reading?

Currently reading What I Talk About When I Talk About Running, by Haruki Murakmi. Murakami is an awesome writer. It is so amazing to find out that my favorite author seems to share the same exact joy of running that I feel, but he is able to articulate it like a million times better.

Murakami is great! I've been reading 1Q84 forever because I'm a really slow reader but it's so good.

• Like 1

Forest Pixie - Level 3 Monk

STR 3 | DEX 0 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 8 | CHA 1

Current Challenge | 32 | 1

I'm currently bopping between 'The Devil is Dead' by R. A. Lafferty, "Splinter of the Mind's Eye" by Alan Dean Foster, "Star Wars: Allegiance" by Timothy Zahn, and "Newton and the Counterfeiter" by Thomas Levenson.

R. A. Lafferty is the closest thing American SF has to a true magical realist, even more than Ursula K. LeGuin.  He's not as well-known as a lot of his contemporaries like Robert Silverberg or Harlan Ellison, but he's incredibly imaginative.  He was a major influence on Neil Gaiman.  I prefer his short stories to his novels, but I make a point of picking up any of his books I find in used bookstores or library sales.

The Star Wars books are just brain candy, with the occasional pause to marvel at what a hack Foster can be.  The Levenson book is part of my drive to read more non-fiction, though frankly the story has the makings of a good BBC period drama.

Just finished: 'Ancillary Sword' by Ann Leckie, and "Furious Cool: Richard Pryor and the World That Made Him" by David Henry and Joe Henry.

Want to get my meathooks on the next 'Last Apprentice' book; I really like the use of North Country witch folklore and the moral ambiguities Delaney sets up for his protagonists.

"If you get into trouble, you can always eat something, blow something up, or throw penguins." - Jim Henson

I recently started Band of Brothers, but am finding it difficult to keep up with characters and military terminology (even though I'm in the military)...It reads more like a checklist than a story. First, this happened on this day at this time, then this happened at this time, then the next day this happened at this time and these people were involved.

Level 2 Furyan Ranger    You keep what you kill

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 3
6.1 6.2 | Duolingo | Daily Fitocracy

Spoiler

Captain Hammer: Have I seen you at the gym?

Billy: [smiles] At the gym!

Captain Hammer: [to himself] I don't go to the gym, I'm just naturally like this...

I'm in between books right now! I have a million to read, don't know which one to start next. Just finished The Martian

My girl has a system:

ade0dd20bd7302fc1d20d9cd835142fb.jpg

every paper in the jar is a book on her current to read list…

my system is a bit different: I read 1, then buy 4. repeat.

• Like 6

"Unfocused" Wizard // Rationalist of the order of Bayes

Lvl 5 Assassin. Lvl 33 Jack of all trades. 7 STR|6 DEX|7 STA|7 CON|16 WIS|8 CHA

Current challenge Wizard in the making: ero san's continuing road of magic

My drawings Sketchbook, Other afiliations The Loft

Yesterday I started "The Naked Warrior" by Pavel Tsatsouline (SP?). No its not a book about a naturist boxer, but a book about improving bodyweight strength and techniques...It works...My mass plus lack of strength has made any bodyweight stuff nigh on impossible, yesterday I managed a singular semi neat press up...this pleased me!

Will be looking to improve on this a lot now!!! 

• Like 1

Level 6 - Human - (North of the wall) Wyldling/Celt - Ranger/Assassin.

Epic quest I Battle Log I Accountabilibuddies 3 5 I Challenge: 1 2 3 4 5

(STR) - 4 (DEX) - 1 (STA) - 3 (CON) - 6 (WIS) - 4 (CHA) - 2

"Spartans! Prepare for glory!" - King Leonidas

Pinterest I instagram I Goodreads 

My girl has a system:

every paper in the jar is a book on her current to read list…

my system is a bit different: I read 1, then buy 4. repeat.

I like the idea of the jar, but most of my to read books are part of multibook series some with more than 14 books in them. I am more of the latter i read one series and have bought 4 more to read.

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 3.5 | CHA 4

Original Challenge | 1ST | 2nd | joining the bebopReturn to the rangers |

Spoiler

"They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now, you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear, by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you." - Mal

Ahoy fellow nerds! i'm currently in the middle of a Harry Potter re-read. Just started Book 5 (Order of the Phoenix). Looking to finish the series in the next 6 weeks. It's been a delight to go back and revisit the books - I haven't read them in AGES! I'll be abroad for a month and will be looking for some good e-books to read during my trip. So if y'all have recommendations, let me know. :) 

Level 7 Valkyrie Scout

STR 8 | DEX 7 | STA 10 | CON 7.5 | WIS 13 | CHA 12

Challenges: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th
Battle Log

"It's never too late to be what you might have been" - George Eliot

Just started The Fatal Flame by Lindsay Faye, third in the Timothy Wilde series, which I fell in love with a few years ago.

Sent from my KFAPWA using Tapatalk

&Heidi

West-Marches Campaign Herb-Gatherer

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid  Level 12 Philosopher and level 11 Librarian (built on the Monk class, with a training path in The Way of the Cobalt Soul)

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | :: 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 |

Shaman: 82 | 83 | 84

Philosopher-Librarian 85 |:: 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

Incorporated a reading quest into the 6WC which starts on Monday. Three books finished by the end of the challenge. First on the agenda is Neil Gaiman's American Gods - tenth anniversary edition, author's preferred text, which has been on my Kindle forever but just never got round to.

Still undecided on what the other two will be. I've got a couple of books shipping from the States, which should hopefully be here by the time I finish American Gods. One of them is Jim Grassi's Guts, Grace & Glory: A Football Devotional, which I definitely want to try to get in this challenge.

I may re-visit King/Bachman's The Long Walk for the umpteenth time, as a motivational tool. I'll never tire of that one.

• Like 1

~~ VALHALLA, I AM COMING! ~~

Season 1 (2015): #0 #1 #2 #3 #4 #5

Season 2 (2016): #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12  #13 #14 #15 

Season 3 (2017): #16 #17 #18 

Incorporated a reading quest into the 6WC which starts on Monday. Three books finished by the end of the challenge. First on the agenda is Neil Gaiman's American Gods - tenth anniversary edition, author's preferred text, which has been on my Kindle forever but just never got round to. Still undecided on what the other two will be. I've got a couple of books shipping from the States, which should hopefully be here by the time I finish American Gods. One of them is Jim Grassi's Guts, Grace & Glory: A Football Devotional, which I definitely want to try to get in this challenge. I may re-visit King/Bachman's The Long Walk for the umpteenth time, as a motivational tool. I'll never tire of that one.

Aww man, good luck with American Gods. My housemate just finished it and it took him ages (and he did an English Lit degree!) 

He said it was brilliant though :)

Forest Pixie - Level 3 Monk

STR 3 | DEX 0 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 8 | CHA 1

Current Challenge | 32 | 1

Incorporated a reading quest into the 6WC which starts on Monday. Three books finished by the end of the challenge. First on the agenda is Neil Gaiman's American Gods - tenth anniversary edition, author's preferred text, which has been on my Kindle forever but just never got round to.Still undecided on what the other two will be. I've got a couple of books shipping from the States, which should hopefully be here by the time I finish American Gods. One of them is Jim Grassi's Guts, Grace & Glory: A Football Devotional, which I definitely want to try to get in this challenge.I may re-visit King/Bachman's The Long Walk for the umpteenth time, as a motivational tool. I'll never tire of that one.

speaking of Gaiman… I just finished this:

6c885330c8e5f64c23ca137db0d17267.jpg6be5a3511caad65584992f658add11fe.jpg

Its a beautiful edition, and I enjoyed the short story…

and on the same note, I got this edition of the neverending story where Bastian's parts are in red and Atreyu's in blue… I think that's the next on my list…

db1bd651d47b651a7515b982687a4301.jpg

• Like 1

"Unfocused" Wizard // Rationalist of the order of Bayes

Lvl 5 Assassin. Lvl 33 Jack of all trades. 7 STR|6 DEX|7 STA|7 CON|16 WIS|8 CHA

Current challenge Wizard in the making: ero san's continuing road of magic

My drawings Sketchbook, Other afiliations The Loft