Forums are back in action! ×

28 minutes ago, RES said:

I think that would freak me out a bit

There were a few aspects that really were difficult for me, more emotionally than anything. It’s very claustrophobic because my head was strapped down and my face covered to stay sterile which I wasn’t prepared for. I did ankle flexes and meditative breathing and thought about Ted Lasso. But knowing what they were doing wasn’t bad. I missed out on most of the slicing bits, and was more awake for the grafting and gluing so it was like extreme crafts ?

• Like 4

Well, I got my post surgery check in today, and I have two drops to take during the day and an ointment for nights. She's really happy with how much I'm healing already, and removed a tiny bit of extra glue that was causing a little discomfort.  Overall, Tylenol and I are best friends ever!! The drops are painful because there is a part of my conjunctiva that was used to graft where the pterygium was, so when the medicine hits that part, oooh it hurts. 4 times a day, my eye is sore for about 20 minutes from the drops. That will get better as the eye heals, and honestly, I looked at my eye today and it looks like I'm having an allergy attack, but I can see my whole iris again, and I am super grateful for that, and I'm so grateful that I know this discomfort will heal and pass where the pterygium just got more and more painful. I'm so excited and happy with how well this went. My mom loves the surgeon too, she said "Well, I know whose gonna do my cataracts."  and the nurse today said "Oh you got the best doctor, she's so good. I wouldn't let anyone else touch my eyes or my family's eyes. She's seriously the best. You're so lucky" and I was like "I feel darn lucky." 

I still have an eye shield to wear when I sleep. No swimming for 3 weeks and no exercising for 2 weeks. I can go for leisurely strolls, and that's it. So it's good to know. I can drive when I feel ready and shower as long as I keep the eye dry.  

Still pretty tired. I'm gonna go relax now.  See you later, taters?

• Like 6

Mom ordered me to go for a walk today. I woke up feeling bad with blurry vision and my guts were out of whack and I was feeling very sorry for myself. So I put on my sun hat, sunglasses, and went for a leisurely walk. I felt better five minutes in.  my vision cleared up surprisingly, and I could feel my stomach settle down.  I'm going to walk again this afternoon.  She just said "Remember you said you were going to walk to promote circulation and healing." and I'm like "You're right. I just got nervous about it."

Dad helped me make the bed. For a blind guy, he makes the bed really well. I couldn't do that alone. Too much bending and pulling. He was so happy to do it, and I was so grateful for the help.  He also helped with my using the washer and dryer because again,  a LOT of bending. We have a top loader and it definitely breaks all the post-surgery instructions.  I really appreciate it! 

I'm going to get off screens for a few days.. I have another check in Friday afternoon, so I'll let you know how things go, but for now, have a peaceful week. ?

• Like 4

UPDATE!

my eye is healing so well, the doc said “you’d never know you had surgery a week ago!”  I still need to follow my orders and not bend or lift, but it’s great to hear that between her awesome surgeon skills and my awesome taking care of myself skills, I’m really doing well!! 

She did need to snip a couple tags and she gave me more instructions but overall this has been a really positive experience! 

yay!!!

big relief!!!

• Like 2

I'm down to 240.8 pounds, which feels really good to be here again. 

I slept 10 hours last night which was fantastic.  I've really struggled with sleep since last friday. My eye was sore  and puffy again, and I felt really angry and sad. I know they needed to remove the skin flaps, and I'm glad they did, but was angry that it set me back a week. I was instructed to add an extra week to my medication, my resting, and my monthly check in was pushed back a week. And then they told me I really couldnt' do any yard work this summer, and I just felt bad.

I still feel unreasonably angry. I think that's the steroid drops and just a natural part of recovery.  I'm still getting help doing stupid everyday things, and I'm still tired after shower days. WHY IS SHOWERING SO TIRING?

Speaking of... I need to shower today.?  Maybe it won't be so bad this time. ALSO I NEED COOKIES. 

• Like 4

Cookie GIF by Juulieffe

• Haha 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: Life is not Always SET

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

27 minutes ago, RES said:

Cookie GIF by Juulieffe

THOSE LOOK DELICIOUS! ?

I felt better after taking a shower. I was able to shower without the eye shield, and I didn't get my face wet. It feels good to be clean. I vented a little bit to my cousin about not bending, and she did the appropriate amount of teasing to make me laugh.

T Rex Cat GIF

I've also decided to eat pasta for dinner. It won't help me towards my fitness goals but it will help towards my "don't murder the entire family" goals.  Maybe I'll make meatballs! No, that requires bending. MEAT SAUCE, no bending, just cooking over a stove.  YEAH! I still hate everything, but I'm done feeling sorry for myself and ready to focus on what I can do, which is a LOT. Whew! YEAH! 

eat up italian dinner GIF by HULU

• Like 2

Sorry to hear that you are struggling with recovery right now.  I think you are doing a great job of recognizing your emotions as part of the process and working to deal with them.  Pasta and cookies seem like great ideas.  I have to admit I'm a little confused about the bending to make meatballs...   

YARN | That's a good meatball. | The Wedding Singer (1998) | Video gifs by  quotes | 8ce9abc0 | 紗

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

39 minutes ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Gotta bend to put them in the oven! 

And if you're a blood bender yoy can probably shape the meatballs without having to clean your hands afterwards. Get a metal bender to help and they can get the pan in and out of the oven.

• Haha 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

46 minutes ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Ah!  that makes sense!   I do sometimes bake my meatballs but you can also just do a quick pan fry to sear them and them simmer them in the red sauce.  

• Wow 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

6 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

And if you're a blood bender yoy can probably shape the meatballs without having to clean your hands afterwards. Get a metal bender to help and they can get the pan in and out of the oven.

This would definitely be messy magic ?

5 hours ago, Shello said:

Ah!  that makes sense!   I do sometimes bake my meatballs but you can also just do a quick pan fry to sear them and them simmer them in the red sauce.  

SHELLO WHY HAVENT I THOUGHT OF THAT?!? Derp

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Squats?

• That's Metal 1

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

11 hours ago, RES said:

Squats?

Yes! Not big ones though. The whole thing is minimizing eye pressure, especially the first two weeks.  But I realized today is TWO WEEKS! So I’m going to do some light bending ?. More cooking and doing my laundry without help! Yay!!! 

at this point I am also allowed to carry up to fifteen pounds, which will make grocery shopping easier. I can bend down and get bottom shelf items and buy a few more groceries at a time. I can also get the crockpot out of the bottom cupboard all by myself! 
Captain America Avengers GIF

I am so stupid excited! 

• Like 4

On 4/21/2023 at 8:18 AM, Snarkyfishguts said:

at this point I am also allowed to carry up to fifteen pounds, which will make grocery shopping easier.

after my accident I was limited to 5lbs, never realized how hard that was to stick to that!

• Like 1

Spoiler

45 minutes ago, RES said:

after my accident I was limited to 5lbs, never realized how hard that was to stick to that!

Right?  5 pounds is nothing! I mean, you definitley need help grocery shopping when you're that limited, and even carrying a basket of laundry means 2 trips sometimes. How long did you have to stick to 5 pounds? 

I find myself nervous about moving forward too. Like I can stop wearing my eye shield technically, but I figure as long as I need to put the nighttime ointment in my eye, I'm going to wear the shield to protect my eye, but also my pillow case! I'm not doing any longer bends like yoga poses, but I'm happy to reach something quickly from the bottom shelf.  I feel like those puppies that are learning to go down stairs "Okay, you're sure it's okay? Is it okay? ARE YOU SURE?" :D 

• Like 4

On 4/22/2023 at 5:16 PM, RES said:

On 4/22/2023 at 6:12 PM, Snarkyfishguts said:

Right?  5 pounds is nothing! I mean, you definitley need help grocery shopping when you're that limited, and even carrying a basket of laundry means 2 trips sometimes. How long did you have to stick to 5 pounds? 

Being limited to lower weights than you're used to is hard.

I have the same issue with my physiotherapy for my tennis elbow. The physio hands me a 3-pound weight and I'm going "why not 10 or even 20 pounds? Pretty sure I could handle that." only to get a stern "NO!".

Something as simple as dropping a ball overhand and "claw" catching it immediately. "Use a tennis ball." "Can't I use an iron petanque ball or a kettlebell or something?" "NO!".

Makes me feel like a whiney kid. "But it feels like I'm not doing anything..." ?

• Like 3

TimovieMan: funnier than you think he is; not as funny as he thinks he is...

Active challenges: Don't log, remain sensible | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

Old threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII

4 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

Makes me feel like a whiney kid. "But it feels like I'm not doing anything..." ?

Yes!! I feel this deeply. Tennis elbow is a loooong recovery process too with that delicate balance of rest and activity. And there is so much we do with our hands, it’s gotta feel weird and frustrating. 

today I was worn out more than usual and my eye hurt. My folks were out running errands all morning and I slept for 2.5 hours. I feel better. 

• Like 4

My visiting uncle is in the hospital and he has done it in the most Visiting Uncle way. My Middle Uncle Called my mom yesterday and said "Have you heard from him?" and she said "No" and he said "Well, someone from his work called and said he's missing!" so Mom called and I said "Did you text him?" and she said "Why would I do that?" and I said "In case he can't talk but can text you." so she texted and he texted the contact information of the woman who called Middle Uncle and she said "He's in the hospital. All I know is he said he was dizzy when he called off, and now I know he's in the hospital" so Mom looked up the closest hospital to him, and I called and asked if he was a patient there and THANKFULLY they gave me that information and connected me to his room number and he ANSWERED THE PHONE.

So now everyone has his room number and we know he's got vertigo, nausea and vomiting, and a spinning dizzy sensation that won't go away. He's had a cat scan and right now he's getting an MRI. His cell phone is almost dead and we're going to call him later today and see if there are updates. I've ordered balloons and had them sent to his room and mom said "That won't help the vertigo" and I said "I think flowers would be worse with the smell. He needs to know we love him with presents."   and she agreed. 

My uncle is not a healthy man, so honestly, it could be a LOT of different things that are causing this. I've run through a list of "Terrible Things That Could Be Wrong" and decided that I would pack that mental list up in a box and wait for an actual diagnosis because I don't want to win in the "Guess what's Wrong with Visiting Uncle?"

I'm going to go relax for a bit and make lunch. Mom and I are going to meet her friends for dinner and see one of their daughters in a high school musical of Mamma Mia, so that will be a really nice distraction for her. She was in control but clearly devastated by the news and she hugged me so hard when I got connected to him and said "thank you!" and I said "We needed to tell him we love him." and she just nodded. She's doing better now we have his room number so she can call him anytime. I just said "Don't worry, we'll call you later." and he said "Okay, good" 

It's been a bonkers sort of day. Thanks for letting me share the news and just process it a bit. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

My visiting uncle is in the hospital and he has done it in the most Visiting Uncle way. My Middle Uncle Called my mom yesterday and said "Have you heard from him?" and she said "No" and he said "Well, someone from his work called and said he's missing!" so Mom called and I said "Did you text him?" and she said "Why would I do that?" and I said "In case he can't talk but can text you." so she texted and he texted the contact information of the woman who called Middle Uncle and she said "He's in the hospital. All I know is he said he was dizzy when he called off, and now I know he's in the hospital" so Mom looked up the closest hospital to him, and I called and asked if he was a patient there and THANKFULLY they gave me that information and connected me to his room number and he ANSWERED THE PHONE.

Super Sleuth Snarky!  

• Like 1

Visiting Uncle is still in the hospital going through all the tests for his vertigo. He's starting to feel better, but he's omitting truths depending on which sibling he talks to and they're all like "He didn't tell ME that" and my shock was at their surprise that he's a sneaky old bastard. :D   The Eldest Uncle called my mom and said he had a similar vertigo problem at the Visiting Uncle's age, and that he got some PT for it and anti-nausea medicine and is fine.  So it's highly probable that's the issue here.  I'm glad he's in the hospital, he's safe there. 

• Like 2