Forums are back in action! ×

Shello's 2024 Roadmap: Measuring Up

Welcome to my 2024 Roadmap.  If you haven't followed me before each year I create a roadmap, outlining my overarching goals for the year to come.  They're based on where I am and where I want to be in a year from now.  Every challenge during the year is an extension of the roadmap, hopefully getting me closer and closer to my ideal goal.  

Last year was about creating a lifestyle of healthy habits to build the foundation.  For 2024 the lifestyle stays the same but the measurements are different.  I still think I've got the right habits to work on.  Some are stronger habits than others but I'll continue to work on all of them.  In 2023 I worked on the habits expecting to lose more weight and get closer to my weight goal.  That didn't happen. There are so many ways a healthy lifestyle can improve my life, even if the scale doesn't move in the right direction.   I spend a lot of time tracking weight and feeling good or bad depending on what the scale says.  But the scale doesn't really impact my life, not directly anyway.  Keeping attention on the scale keeps me from noticing other changes that happen over time, both good and bad.  I'd like to focus on other things that directly affect my well-being and happiness.  So for 2024 I've made a list of the top 10 things I'd like to see improved over the next year by sticking to my habits and improving my lifestyle.   Some are health measurements, some are vain pursuits, and some are fairly subjective.  However, checking in on these measures monthly over the course of the year will help keep me focused on what I need to be doing.  

I eat right to feel better and for longevity.  I eat an appropriate amount to lose weight.   

I workout for better quality of life and to be healthy.  I do cardio for cardiovascular health and mental health.  I lift heavy things for bone health, strength, and mobility.  I stretch to mobility and aging gracefully.

The Lifestyle

image.png.7c7b08d2a917e20774d04cf643b8971f.png

The daily habits and fitness habits are the same ones I've been working on.  The goal is to do these most of the time.  I listed all the sources endorsing these fitness goals and all the purported benefits.   I've spoilered them here if you want to see.

Spoiler

After some research, I've found many health organizations have similar recommendations. The CDC, WHO, American Heart Association, DHHS, NHS all have references to getting at least 150 minutes of moderate cardio a week, or 75 minutes of vigorous cardio.   Many of these also recommend strength training twice a week, and stretching twice a week.  Many of the reported benefits align perfectly with my big Why.

• Lower risk of heart disease, stroke, diabetes, high blood pressue, dementia, and some cancers
  • Better sleep
  • Improved cognition, including memory, attention, and processing speed 
  • less weight gain, obesity, and related chronic illness
  • Better bone health and balance with less risk from falls.  
  • Fewer symptoms of depression and anxiety
  • Better quality of life and sense of overall well-being

My big why (apart from looking good naked) is to age well and maintain mobility, health, mental health, and quality of life in the later years.  I've seen too many people in my family spend their last several years of their lives having a hard time getting around and that will not be me! 

3. 150 minutes cardio

4. Strength 2x week.  At least 10 minutes each.  Double dipping with cardio is allowed. 

5. Stretch/yoga 2x week

The Measurements

I came up with the top ten nuisances about my body's current abilities, appearance, or limitations.  If I could make improvements to these areas regardless of the scale, I would be very much pleased.  

General Mobility - Things just don't work as well as they used to.  I have definitely noticed a decline in general mobility.  It's more difficult to get up off the floor; it's more difficult to get up off the couch without feeling stiff or sore.   I can only measure this by paying attention and checking in every month or every challenge and being aware of any changes

Going down stairs - I have a not insignificant amount of knee pain.  It's hurt more to go down stairs than it does to go up.  Sometimes they hurt enough that my gait has to change.  Some days they are better.  Maybe it's the shoes I'm wearing or how stiff I'm feeling in general.  This will also be measured by checking in routinely and being mindful of improvements.

Knee knob - What is a knee knob you ask?  Maybe you you.  I suspect IFKYK. 

My body is changing.  Over the past 5 years as my body weight fluctuates, fat has started to accumulate differently than it used to.  It used to be pretty generally evenly distributed.  But in the last 5 years the fat has been moving to my legs.  It's obscene.  But my least favorite part is that little extra bit of fat that hangs over the side of my knee.  It's so embarrassing.  I will measure my knee at the widest area each challenge.

Calf Size - This was the first place it changed.  I have trouble finding jeans that fit because my calves are not proportional to my waist.   This will also be an actual measurement.

Going up stairs - similar to going down stairs but currently hurts a little less and has a little less of an impact on my daily life.  Subjective measurement each challenge.

Pelvic floor - I've had two babies and they are terrible tenants.   I'm definitely noticing the effects.  There are probably some tangible measurements here but I'll focus on subjective measures monthly.

Shoulder Mobility - I've been having shoulder issues for a few years.  It gets in the way of progressing strength.  I have pain frequently and my range of motion and mobility have deteriorated.   Also subjective but I'm sure there are some tangible measures I could put into place as well. 

Primal Squat - I'm definitely intrigued by the ability to primal squat.  Cultures that include this in their way of life tend to age better and I just don't want to be one of those old ladies that can't get up off the floor.  I'll measure this by how long I can stay in a primal squat at a time.  

Measurement/progress pics - I always think I should keep track of measurements over time or take progress pics to see changes over time but then I never actually do them.  This is the perfect time to actually do it  

Scale weight - I can't not also track weight so just like I always do, I'll track weight.

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 2

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

I like your measurements, some off those I'd never thought of but they make sense!

• Like 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: Life is not Always SET

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

On 12/29/2023 at 5:36 AM, RES said:

I like your measurements, some off those I'd never thought of but they make sense!

I did go a little off the beaten path but these are the things that bother me the most.  

On 12/29/2023 at 6:51 AM, deftona said:

Ooooh following along! *googles primal squat* wow I do this anyway to help release tension in my back. Does this mean I am immortal?

I hope that's the benefit! 

On 12/29/2023 at 1:23 PM, Snarkyfishguts said:

That spread sheet is beautiful. I like your measurements and how it focuses on what’s important for you!

Thank you! 

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

All measurements that needed to get done Monday got done.  I didn't get progress pics and forgot to do it yesterday when I was in my gym gear too.  

I measured my primal squat by just timing it.  I only lasted 10 seconds.  But then I included primal squat into my stretching routine after the gym and it felt much more comfortable than doing it cold on Monday.  On Monday I could only get one heel down to the floor but at the gym I could get both easily.  I didn't time it but it was definitely longer than 10 seconds.  

I've also been being very mindful of knee pain.  It's been there but not so much that it affects how I walk up and down the stairs.. until after the gym yesterday.  It hurt to get up from the couch in the evening and walking both up and down stairs hurt much more than usual. 

Shoulders hurt after the gym and I'm not really sure why.  I don't think I taxed them in any way.   Except I have noticed a decreasing ROM for both shoulders, not just the sore one.  I tried reaching an itch on my back and nearly pulled something in my good shoulder.  Maybe that's why it was sore.  

I'm a mess.  

• Like 2

First challenge is wrapped up.   All measurements taken and logged.   I still need to take a progress pic for posterity.  

Areas in need of improvement:

•  Staying within calorie budget.   The score is low but for many of the infractions I was still under budget for the entire week.  My birthday week got a little crazy.  It's when those days pile up that I really see the consequences
  • Daily movement.  This was lower than expected.  I think I'm on autopilot now and not really paying attention or going out of my way to make sure this is accomplished
  • Cardio.  The fitness goals were modified since I'm not at the point to getting 150 minutes in each week.  But I meant to get out at least once a week and I didn't even get that done.  Now that it's warming up I'm hoping this improves naturally. 

Areas that improved:

• Consistently got all my strength workouts done
  • And noticed a correlated improvement in knee pain going up stairs.  Specifically I can feel as my quads get stronger, it hurts less.  
  • Measurements improved in all areas.  Except hips, they increased but overall measurements were still down 1''.   Key areas like my calves and knee both improved.  
  • Shoulder pain seems to have improved as well.  I believe also thanks to a combination of carefully avoiding certain movements that exacerbated pain and leveraging movements that didn't hurt in strength training.  Kudos to my trainer for prescribing the right movements.  

Other notes:

• Improvement in knee pain when going down stairs is non-linear.  I noticed a week or so in the middle of the challenge with marked improvement only for it to deteriorate again the next week.  Sometimes it hurts less in the mornings and gets worse later in the day.  Some days are just bad and some days are better.  Beginning to wonder what else is contributing besides just the arthritis and the standard strain of the extra weight.  Does it get stiff if I am sitting too long?  Food related inflammation?  Cycle related inflammation?  Weather related?   
  • Overall I'm liking the mindfulness this requires.  The non tape measure related measurements are difficult to quantify but I find it really helpful to stay aware of them on a daily basis and constantly checking in on how things are feeling.  
  • I'm headed in the right direction. 

image.png.84771417cd333bce9ab94dd9f776e123.png

• Like 3

On 2/9/2024 at 10:12 AM, Shello said:

I noticed a week or so in the middle of the challenge with marked improvement only for it to deteriorate again the next week.  Sometimes it hurts less in the mornings and gets worse later in the day.  Some days are just bad and some days are better.  Beginning to wonder what else is contributing besides just the arthritis and the standard strain of the extra weight.  Does it get stiff if I am sitting too long?  Food related inflammation?  Cycle related inflammation?  Weather related?   

Are you wearing the same shoes everyday or are you switching between different pairs?  ?️

• Like 1

On 2/10/2024 at 4:19 PM, Snarkyfishguts said:

Are you wearing the same shoes everyday or are you switching between different pairs?  ?️

yes and no.  I have three pairs of work shoes but they are all similar.  They are all wedge sandals with about the same height heel.  Going down stairs is more difficult in those compared to flats but it still seems to fluctuate for the wedge sandals and for my flats.  

• Like 2

Oy, the knees were in bad shape yesterday.  I could only go down stairs if I hitched and pivoted from the left leg.  DDG reminded me went for a walk the day before.  Maybe that's a culprit but I haven't noticed a connection before.  

• Like 4

Challenge 2 is in the bag!   New measurements were added to the list and all measurements taken except I haven't retested the VO2 max yet.  

Areas to improve:

• measurements did not go well, increasing an inch and a quarter overall, including hips and waist.   Maybe I'm not measuring consistently?
  • No other measures declined so yay me!

Areas that Improved

• Just in the last week or so of the challenge I noticed a lot of improvement in knee pain going both up and down stairs.  I almost feel like I could run up stairs... but I don't for fear I will trip. ?
  • I was able to hold primal squat for 1:18.  Stance was weird so that may have made it artificially easy.  I'm not sure if there's a 'right' stance or not.  
  • Average cardio minutes per week jumped to over 100 minutes.  Goal is 150.  I just need to keep it up.  
  • BMI dropped to 39.6, which gets me out of the Obese III category, which is high risk.  I am now Moderate risk at level II.   
  • Improvement or 100% in all daily and fitness goals!

image.png.f939bff1750e71a40908e90ee9f20c77.png

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 1

2 challenges completed since my last update here.  Challenge 3 was my best challenge this year.  Most consistent with daily habits and fitness.  Fitness numbers took a little bit of a hit due to a migraine lasting 3 days and then getting sick.   Last challenge was a bit of a sleeper.  I put fitness goals on hold while we were busy selling our house and I had a trip to Hawaii.  

Things that went well

• 3rd challenge saw the biggest weight drop this year, 6.9 for the challenge.  BMI dropped 1.1 points.  
  • Saw the first real movement in measurements in the right direction.  Lost the inches gained from challenge 2 and then another inch on top of that
  • Despite barely losing any weight during the busy hawaii challenge, I lose another 3.5 inches! 
  • Active minutes the week I was in Hawaii was over twice the goal of 150 minutes/week!  

Things that didn't go as well

• Fitness took a big hit during the last challenge.  It's such a tenuous habit and it's hard to get back into
  • A lot of non scale victories benefit from the regular fitness.  I definitely recognized the impact of a fitness free month on these measurements. Measurements I noticed the difference - going up and down the stairs, and primal squats.  There was a general lack of improvement in general mobility as well. 
  • Hawaii trip really impacted routines.  I guess any vacation does but something about the island vibe made the structure of real life a little too suffocating.  I used the rest of the challenge to Hang Loose and find my way back.  Hang Loose Hell Yeah GIF by Hacklock  

image.png.63e7a5b7176c09efb6e05db299b0cccb.png

• Like 2

It's been a very long time since I've updated here.  Since my last update I took another trip - a girls weekend in Seattle, and then moved house, and another trip to the MN State Fair.  Moving required all the final packing frenzy and then all the unpacking to get the house situated.  We are pretty settled now even though there are plenty of unpacked boxes.   

My last post was after challenge #4 this year and in retrospect, that was right around the time my challenges started to degrade.  

Challenge 5 I managed to track most of the time.  I didn't track during my trip or the move but I think I was doing a decent job following the goals.  Workouts also fell by the wayside.  Both walking and gymming were few and far between.  I didn't 'measure' or summarize my non scale victories at the end of the challenge but.   Lost 4.1 pounds

Challenge 6 walking frequency picked up again thanks to the timing of the beautiful sunsets over the lake by the new house.  I made it to the gym once and stopped tracking other goals near the end of the challenge but did log food on Lose It about 80% of the time.  I managed to stay on the rails for the most part.   Lost 2.2 pounds

Challenge 7 just finished and I managed to track goals for 1 week.  It was designed as a chill challenge.  It worked for awhile and then it didn't.  Hardly any fitnessing happened and then the sweets and snacking got out of hand.   I stopped logging food as well.  Gained 6 pounds.  

Prior to gaining in the last challenge, I was down over 18 pounds for the year.  My goal is (was?) to lose 30 pounds this year.   With two weeks or so left this year that's not out of the question.   The deadline is more flexible than the goal.  That's still the goal but maybe I won't quite do it by the end of this year.  I'm losing interest in the non scale victories but the truly measurable ones I do plan to remeasure at the end of the year and bask in the glory.  Most of the NSV that I'm tracking correlate to one of two things - weight loss and gym time.  Without getting caught up in the daily scale number grind, the weight is a key measure for success.  As is getting to the gym.   As I start to think about next year's roadmap, this is where my head is at.  

For now, I've broken my weight loss goal into a 4 step process.  No time tables, but just work on one goal at a time.  

Step 1: Get back to 246.  That was my lowest weight during challenge 7 (and this year)

Step 2:  Work towards the 12 pound weigh loss goal or as close as I can get by end of year 

Step 3: Get weight under 230.  This moves my BMI from Obese moderate risk to Obese low risk.  It's arbitrary but something I can measure.  This is a quick hop from step 2 but it feels significant.

Step 4: Next stop Onederland.  My goal is 196.8(ish) as this puts my BMI in the overweight category.  This is a long term goal.  Can I get to step 4 from step 3 in 1 year?   Maybe not, but if that's what I'm shooting for I would be pretty damn happy being close to Onederland.  

dragons' den money GIF by CBC

• Like 3

Still can't read "Onederland" without thinking of 'That Thing You Do!'. 😇

85822384-e45b-405c-801b-007c19ca3e55_tex

funny-onders.gif

• Like 1

TimovieMan: funnier than you think he is; not as funny as he thinks he is...

Active challenges: Don't log, remain sensible | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

Old threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII