The Genealogy of Gargoyles, feat Laghail

5 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

Taking one of yourself (or the kids or whoever) with a monument / view in the background feels like a tourist-y thing to do, and I don't really feel like I have to "prove" that I have been there, so what's the point?

And taking a picture of just the monument / view is even sillier, because there's no way I can get close to the quality of what I can find online by actual photographers, so why bother? 😅

To be fair I do snap loads of photos, just not of the things I'm "supposed to". When traveling E Asia I constantly got countless incredulous looks whenever I explained that no I really don't want a photo of myself for IG - but then spent 20 minutes trying to photograph a cute spider. 😂 

Like @Whisper I do also take photos as memory triggers and things that tickle my art senses, for reference or neat details. The quality doesn't matter all that much, it's just for me.

• Like 3

Thursday May 2nd

img-15.jpg

[Pensive Timedancer, by Jennifer Miller]

Time Traveling Habits

• Dead Tree Time
  • Creative Time
  • Trad Time
  • Bed Time
  • HIIT Time
      • Squat 3x3 70%
      • Front Squat 3x5 70%
      • HIIT 15 mins
      • Yoga
  • Early Bird Time

Dwyer-image-1.jpg.0431c3edd23279c3dce41a3689ff7c59.jpg

[Sheela-na-Gig (Lavey, Cavan) housed in the Cavan County Museum, photo by Benjamin Dwyer]

Life Updates

• I deleted any mobile games on my phone that use an ad watch feature, and suddenly I'm effortlessly hitting my early bird bonus on Duolingo. Not saying I'm instantly mastering Spanish, but I have time for a second language on Duo, all thanks to paying a few bucks up front for no-ad mobile games. 🤷‍♂️
  • @Mad Hatter preserve me, I'm putting an offer in this weekend for a house in Polish Milwaukee. The house is a "Polish flat", or a style of house built by Polish immigrant as they began arriving in 1866 and rivaled Milwaukee Germans for raw numbers. As the kielbasa and the bratwurst battled for dominance, Polish immigrants were noted for buying tiny plots in southside that defied migration trends. Usually newcomers live in the shittiest rental housing freshly vacated by the preceding wave of immigration. Instead, these eastern Europeans built tiny cottages at first, then as their savings grew, hired industrial jacks to raise their houses and built partially submerged basement apartments underneath. By 1902, Polonia had the densest population in Milwaukee, which was then only third in the country, behind Baltimore and Boston (I'm quoting an article here and I can't find contradictory figures, but this feels incorrect. Hard to imagine Chicago or Manhattan being beaten out for turn-of-the-century population density).
  • Fucking @Sea-to-sky, trad music isn't bluegrass, y'all use metronomes n shit??? Mostly kidding, but starting this book on translating a bluegrass instrument for trad stuffs. It's a whole damn course tbh and I'm pretty happy so far.  
    • Complete Book of Irish & Celtic 5-String Banjo

img-24.jpg

[Elisa and Goliath, by YamiGirl21]

• Like 6

Level 38 [Raveling Bard]

24 minutes ago, Laghail said:

img-24.jpg

[Elisa and Goliath, by YamiGirl21]

Thanks to you, I have learned two things today: first, that Beauty and the Beast dress is canon, and second, YouTube is full of a lot of incredibly thirsty monsterfuckers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

3 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

YouTube is full of a lot of incredibly thirsty monsterfuckers.

Hrm, looks like per the below scale, Gargoyles as a franchise averages 2.5 grade monster fucker. Getting hot for Brooklyn or Griff is officially level 3 and the highest the show goes; Goliath and Demona turning you on, that’s arguably level 2; Puck or any of Oberon’s children giving you the tingles, that apparently doesn’t even qualify as monster fuckery. #TheMoreYouKnow

image.thumb.png.c6f1b7bded868b608d676aa4013c731f.png

• Haha 5

Level 38 [Raveling Bard]

On 4/30/2024 at 6:59 PM, Laghail said:
    •  Because I don't need to sell my pieces, it's felt easier navigating meaning and the sacred, without etsy or amazon whispering that I won't make rent if I don't sell this fucker, so I'd better make it mass market legible. Anyway, here's the WIP: 
      • image.thumb.jpeg.a9bb5ea3c2b1d13baf9a7deb8863c848.jpeg

That must be an awesome feeling. I wish I could come up with cool art with meanings 😂 I'm a paint what I see artist but I'm working on it. I'd like to see more of your art 

• Delighted to participate in No Mow May with my city this year. Is solar-punk still punk, when there's now a city form to fill out and an official yard sign to pick up from city hall?? Anyway, fuck lawns and monocultures.

I mean.. yah! I think so. I'd love to participate but my neighbour shares a front yard with me and she's already been out mowing it 2-3 times this year? And in the past has left a note on my car before saying something about how it's "not fair to your neighbour to not cut your grass". It wasn't even that long 😬 since then I try to mow within 72hrs of her mowing to maintain peace.

• The plan is to buy a satisficing (cool new word meaning "good enough but not great") second duplex this year and live in one unit with the whole family again, then buy a third property in 2025/2026 that can actually fit the family comfortably. All landlords are bastards, and this is also the only way I know of to get housing for me and two disabled family members on 1.5 incomes, while also building some retirement security. 

I'm realizing there's many dimensions to you. I think that's a savvy plan. I like it. 

• Like 1

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

15 hours ago, Laghail said:

Hrm, looks like per the below scale, Gargoyles as a franchise averages 2.5 grade monster fucker. Getting hot for Brooklyn or Griff is officially level 3 and the highest the show goes; Goliath and Demona turning you on, that’s arguably level 2; Puck or any of Oberon’s children giving you the tingles, that apparently doesn’t even qualify as monster fuckery. #TheMoreYouKnow

I'm not convinced by this scale, and I'll tell you why. Anthropoid furries in category 3 are far, far more human than non-anthropoid naga, centaurs, etc. in category 2. Half the things mentioned in level 2 can't walk upright, which is immediately more monster. A hairy humanoid is much more human than someone who is literally half snake. You need to do more work to figure out where to put your body parts, or what's even where. I get it, they don't think a human from the waist up is that non-human for purposes of social alienness or whatever, but that's more of a factor if they're your barista or your therapist, not your date. A Zootopia cat with boobs works exactly like a human on a date, but missionary is not gonna work with a centaur and cuddling is complicated with a snake. So I'm not buying this ranking. It's designed for monster customer service, not monsterfucking.

Also, I'd argue that on this scale, most of the gargoyles fall into category 4. They didn't have human faces in the sense this scale means, which is "literally a human upper body plonked onto another thing". They have semi-anthropomorphic faces with, like, beaks and animal parts and shit. No way Brooklyn has even a vaguely human face. They walk hunched over due to their wings, often don't walk at all (wings again), or on all fours (okay, just Bronx). They're much more like trolls or werewolves than like humans from the waist up. Maybe a level 3, especially Demona and Goliath; they're more humanoid than the others, but definitely not human all over. But level 4 doesn't preclude clothes and basically walking upright on some teetery animaloid legs; werewolves and trolls do a good line in torn shirts and loin cloths, which the gargoyles mostly do, too, and the shape of their legs is not humanoid, which pushes them back into category 4 a bit. Level 3 seems to walk on human anatomy with a non-human covering, but the gargoyles are not walking upright on human anatomy. The more human ones are definitely borderline. But I think there's a lot of werewolf style iconography going on there, even for them.

So I think you could argue 3 or 4, and a 5 for Bronx.

Possibly level 6 for Robo-Goliath.

• Haha 3

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

6 hours ago, Laghail said:

Fucking @Sea-to-sky, trad music isn't bluegrass, y'all use metronomes n shit??? Mostly kidding, but starting this book on translating a bluegrass instrument for trad stuffs. It's a whole damn course tbh and I'm pretty happy so far.

😆 i can guarantee no metronomes where harmed (or used) in the production of any of the folk round here. The local joke is we dont practice, just rock up at a session and play.
The cornish style of music defies metronomes anyway so they’re sort of pointless when traditionally the speed a song is played at varies vastly over the tune. 

example:
(This one gets faster as it goes, most often the chorus is sung much slower than the rest of the tune. This often carries over in to instrumental music)

1 hour ago, sarakingdom said:

I'm not convinced by this scale, and I'll tell you why. Anthropoid furries in category 3 are far, far more human than non-anthropoid naga, centaurs, etc. in category 2. Half the things mentioned in level 2 can't walk upright, which is immediately more monster. A hairy humanoid is much more human than someone who is literally half snake. You need to do more work to figure out where to put your body parts, or what's even where.

Agreed, but i was thinking arachnotaurs or driders like in d&d

1 hour ago, sarakingdom said:

It's designed for monster customer service, not monsterfucking.

😆

agree. Theres a cultural element to otherness that is influenced heavily (but not solely) by anatomy.  This is why i am often disappointed by aliens in book. So many people write them as what i like to refer to as blue humans. 

• Like 2

the creative spelling comes as standard. Enjoy! 
A journey of thousand miles, begins with a single step - Lao Tzu

Challenge: #1#2#3#4

1 hour ago, Sea-to-sky said:

agree. Theres a cultural element to otherness that is influenced heavily (but not solely) by anatomy.  This is why i am often disappointed by aliens in book. So many people write them as what i like to refer to as blue humans. 

May I point you in the direction of the Ender series by Orson Scott Card? "Ender's Game" for context, but specifically the "Speaker for the Dead", "Xenocide" and "Children of the Mind" trilogy?

• Like 3

Active challenges: Summer bod - for real this time! | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

2023-24 threads: Challenge VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX

2018-19 & 2021 threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII

35 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

@sarakingdom thank you for saving me from having to type out that post. 😄 I'd also argue that it's not only body parts that determine fuckability, but size. Trolls for example (btw very much humanoid by every depiction I've seen) can vary between the size of small person or a small hill. 

Another reason why centaurs are not best categorized as level 2. That was not someone who was truly thinking about monsterfucking. They were thinking of, like, monster-soulfully-gazing-into-eyes. Yeah, a centaur would do that in a really human way. But that is not the assignment.

Speaking of trolls, I'm puzzled why orcs and trolls are two whole levels apart when they're essentially the same thing. (Don't @ me, bro, they are.) Those distinctions are a bit confused. I have to think level 2 was meant to be "human with 50% of something else grafted on".

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Speaking of trolls, I'm puzzled why orcs and trolls are two whole levels apart when they're essentially the same thing. (Don't @ me, bro, they are.) Those distinctions are a bit confused. I have to think level 2 was meant to be "human with 50% of something else grafted on".

That seems like an inaccurate characterization. Depending on exactly how those non-human 50% were grafted on (all in the same place, distributed evenly, and so on) I'd expect them to be Level 3 at a minimum, but most of them would/should be at Level 4. I mean... mermaids. 

Also, I'm picturing Laghail chuckling gleefully at being able to create this entire discussion about monster fuckability just by posting a mildly amusing screenshot. I can sense the smug build-up from over here. 😏

• Haha 3

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

22 minutes ago, Sea-to-sky said:

Im rather confused as to why wherewolves and anthropomorphic animals are in a different category to be honest

Anthropomorphic animal (aka, human in a fur suit):

dmv GIF by Disney Zootopia

Werewolf during the full moon:

wwe imagine GIF

One is much more human.

6 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

That seems like an inaccurate characterization. Depending on exactly how those non-human 50% were grafted on (all in the same place, distributed evenly, and so on) I'd expect them to be Level 3 at a minimum, but most of them would/should be at Level 4. I mean... mermaids. 

This is my point, I think they've got levels 2 and 3 backwards. For everything except some public service sector jobs, mostly the sort that have desks that hide your lower body. Although I don't wanna be the facilities guy buying the chairs. Anthropomorphic animals are much easier from a facilities management point of view.

Thanks to these pictures, I... I have just realized what else qualifies as level 4 monsterfucking here:

The Muppets Nodding GIF

(And as level 3:

tom hiddleston muppets GIFWhich, again, I think really is only a level 2.)

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Sea-to-sky said:

Oh quadruped were’s. Ok, makes more sense 

The non-quadruped variety are more arguable, it's true, but there is a case to be made that the difference is how fundamentally human their bodies are. One is Ginny from your Zumba class with a rabbit head, the other is an eight foot tall hunchbacked creature with a snout and animal legs that it's occasionally bipedal on. That's kinda the difference, whether they go to Zumba and have "buy ten, get one free" coffee loyalty cards, or whether they mostly snarl and tear apart prey and don't fit into off the rack clothes.

• Like 2

On 5/3/2024 at 12:06 AM, Laghail said:

I deleted any mobile games on my phone that use an ad watch feature

IAP FTW! (I work on an in-app-purchase game. No ads!)

On 5/3/2024 at 12:06 AM, Laghail said:

I'm putting an offer in this weekend for a house

Good luck! Looks amazing! 

When we were househunting in the UK, hubby wanted a new build and I wanted a period house because I was like "I can get a new build anywhere in the States, but I can't get a 400 year old house there." But then I had been living in Seattle where the oldest stuff was maybe pushing 100 years (beautiful Arts & Craft styles and "Brick Tudors") and when a house did reach that age, it got sold to a developer to be knocked down so they could use the lot for two duplexes 😭

(In the end, ours is "only" an 1820s period cottage with large extensions added from the 1980s-2010s. So hubby and I both got a bit of what we wanted.) 

• Like 3

“If you're reading this, you must be in dire need of a change. The same thing happened to me, long ago. I'd lost sight of what mattered most in life... real connections with other people and nature. So I dropped everything and moved to the place I truly belong.”
— Grandpa's Letter from Stardew Valley

🇺🇸 Adventurer 🇬🇧

🌳🦉🌳

Current Challenge: Stardew Valley

4 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

That's kinda the difference, whether they go to Zumba and have "buy ten, get one free" coffee loyalty cards, or whether they mostly snarl and tear apart prey and don't fit into off the rack clothes.

Agreed. Whether they can buy a capuchino without eating the barista is a good guage 😆

• Haha 1

the creative spelling comes as standard. Enjoy! 
A journey of thousand miles, begins with a single step - Lao Tzu

Challenge: #1#2#3#4

Then again, the wolf might be more fuckable than the anthropomorphic sloth, unless your kink is extreme edging.

11 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Also, I'm picturing Laghail chuckling gleefully at being able to create this entire discussion about monster fuckability just by posting a mildly amusing screenshot. I can sense the smug build-up from over here. 😏

I bet it was on purpose, throwing a bunch of nerds a bone of unfactual statements and watch them shred it to pieces.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
5 hours ago, Sea-to-sky said:

Agreed. Whether they can buy a capuchino without eating the barista is a good guage 😆

Disagree. Restraint and impulse control isn't necessarily an indicator of body shape.

5 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I bet it was on purpose, throwing a bunch of nerds a bone of unfactual statements and watch them shred it to pieces.

I chose to believe it was. It is also quite entertaining. ;) 

• Like 3

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

22 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Another reason why centaurs are not best categorized as level 2. That was not someone who was truly thinking about monsterfucking. They were thinking of, like, monster-soulfully-gazing-into-eyes. Yeah, a centaur would do that in a really human way. But that is not the assignment.

I agree the levels are not quite right, and it shocked me to see centaurs and nagas so low on the scale. Shocked I tell you. I also like that you've thought this through carefully.

15 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

Disagree. Restraint and impulse control isn't necessarily an indicator of body shape.

True. I mean you could have an entirely humanoid monster who kills and eats innocent bystanders. Or a fully humanoid human, even.

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

Laghail I didn't see the gargoyles show when I was a child, but the illustration style and introduction speech seem very much like the cartoons I did watch on Saturday mornings in the 90s. Good luck with your gargoyleous challenge. 

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

Saturday, May the 4th be with you

image.png.8a5ffddc975fc54f501fa29c615f47b1.png
[Gargoyles - A New Hope, by Greg Guler]

Time Traveling Habits

• Dead Tree Time
  • Creative Time
  • Bed Time
  • Early Bird Time
  • Trad Time
  • HIIT Time

image.jpeg.8326186fb4569f5785c910aedef2afa7.jpeg
[Darth Vader Grotesque, by Jay Hall Carpenter and Patrick J Plunkett, Washington National Cathedral]

Life Updates

• Had some lifting friends from a former gym reach out about an impromptu tattoo party last night. These friends are a blended family of body goals husband and wife and their many step children. Everyone in the family is kind and working to meet their own needs, while also having plus sized bodies; did my heart good to see body positivity and health on display in a family setting. 
  • Liam got a House Sivis least dragonmark of scribing to celebrate his graduation, and I got a Veles bull’s head symbol, placed so it’s visible while deadlifting with mixed grip. For designs we picked on 6 hours notice, we’re both pretty happy, but Liam might get his line work thickened up this fall.
  • Spoiler

image.jpeg.b63a77486a7f0065f32aada09bede735.jpeg
    image.jpeg.eddc3d14a532839f5f4d6655819f2111.jpeg

• Week zero of the challenge has felt appropriately sized. Not perfect on green checkboxes, relative to challenge habit goals, but things feel in reach. Task haven’t been started yet, but I have steps scheduled. Fingers crossed. 

image.jpeg.5f286a5b6cf97ef60f4881a2613ec411.jpeg
[Gargoyles - Attack of the Clones, by DubyaScott]

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 8

Level 38 [Raveling Bard]