Forums are back in action! ×

What's your routine? (there's something in here for everyone!)

Goldie

I had a question for everyone on their exercise.

How often do you exercise?

What do you do each day? (break it down for me you fine people!)

How long do you workout for?

For those of you who exercise everyday without a rest day - do you ever feel tired? Run down? If yes why do you continue to work out everyday? If not - what's your secret!?

For those who do take a rest day do you see and feel the benefits? Can you go in to detail?

How often? Every day.

Routine:

M-F: 1.9 mile walk at lunch

At night:

M: Leg Day

T: Upper Body Day

W: Short Fast Run (2.6M-5K)

Th: Leg Day

F: Upper Body Day

S: Long Slow Run (5M-10K)

Su: Yoga

How Long?

Lunch walks take me a half an hour

Leg Days take about an hour

Upper Body days take an hour and a half

Short fast runs take a little under half an hour

Long runs take a little under an hour

Yoga takes an hour to an hour and a half

Tired/rundown? No, not really. I'm used to my routine. The only time I really have to take a break is if I have DOMS so powerful that it prevents me doing something, then I usually just walk on the treadmill. If I ever feel soreness building up and recovery declining, I take it easy for a week, doing higher rep work and running slower. But I like my routine for constant sustainability.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

MWF Strength, 100 pushup plan, 200 situp plan, do-a-pull-up plan (each set in a circut) then 3x5 Deadlift, Military Press, and Squat, each in a circus, then stretch

TTH run, working on getting to 2 miles without stopping, then getting faster.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Monday, Wednesday and Friday I normally go to the gym and squats, incline pull ups, push ups, dips, bench press , deadlifts and overhead press. Although this is a bit hit and miss due to work and when I don't make it to the gym I do push ups and squats at home

Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday I go for a 2.4k run or I do HIT to work on my speed. Now that its summer some days I might go for a swim instead.

STR – 24.45, DEX – 13.50, STA – 23.50, CON – 21.40, WIS – 27.65, CHA – 4.50
When the sun comes up, you better start running - Thomas Friedmen
Epic Quest - Current Challenge - Twitter - Goodreads - Fitbit - blog

I am following the kettlebell workout the Rite of Passage. Cheesy name, I know, but I have fun with it, and I'm seeing good results.

Monday: medium clean and presses, medium swings. Takes about an hour.

Tuesday: variety day, mobility, foam/laxball rolling, get ups, goblet squats, pull ups, snatch practice or whatever I want. Takes 20 to 30 mins.

Wednesday: off

Thursday: heavy clean and presses, heavy swings. Takes just over an hour.

Friday: off

Saturday: light clean and presses, light snatches. Takes about 40 mins.

Sunday: same as Tuesday.

That is the strength and conditioning stuff at the moment. I also ride my horses 3 to 5 times a week. They are generally hour long rides or sometimes a little bit longer. I usually do my rides before my weights, though not always.

[TABLE=width: 500, align: left]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

brian d, level 1 Plains Half-Elf ranger

STR 2|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 2|WIS 4|CHA 2

[/TABLE]

I alternate between jump rope one day and then circuits the next. Occasionally if it's windy out i'll swap in running rather than jump rope.

my sessions last an hour a day.

I don't take rest days and haven't for a year and a half. Shamefully I worry if i take a day off i won't get back in the swing of things or my progress towards losing weight will suffer.

I've been following this schedule for about two months now and it's served me well...

Monday - 45 min HIIT (mostly compound body weight workouts and some ab work)

Tuesday - Rock Climbing (we spend anywhere between an hour to two hours climbing, total time on the wall is half an hour or 45 minutes)

Wednesday - 45 min HIIT

Thursday - Rock Climbing

Friday - REST & cooking

Saturday - 45 min HIIT

Sunday - Mix bag, either some outside adventures in the kayak or hiking when it's warmer or another day of rock climbing when it's cold

There are some times when I feel like I overwork my body (especially my shoulders) and I just make sure I either baby them when I strength train M/W/Sa or opt for easier routes while I climb. Unless you do something really out of the ordinary (like the first time I tried a rotator cuff set) DOMs sort of wear off over time. I don't tend to get nearly as sore as I did when I first started and that's how I manage only having one rest day a week.

No matter how slow you're going, you're still lapping everyone on the couch.

Hobbit Adventurer
STR - 4 DEX - 3 STA - 4 CON - 5.25 WIS - 5 CHA - 6.5

My schedule varies from week to week as I work retail and my days off and times of the day I work are always different. But I recently started a new workout schedule, which calls for bodyweight strength training three days a week, running three days a week, with one day a week for rest. I alternate my run and strength days.

It's worked pretty well for me so far.

Monday: Strength

Tuesday: Cardio

Wednesday: Strength

Thursday: Cardio

Friday: Strength

Saturday: Cardio

Sunday: Rest day

That's my general baseline, sometimes flipping Saturday and Sunday.

My current cardio is walking, trying to get up to walking 15 kilometers. (current record from last Sunday is 8 km)

My current strength routine is bench press (with dumbbells, currently 6 kg per hand) and bent over rows (with the same dumbbells).

I'm trying to work my way up to push ups and pull ups. For push ups I'm also doing shoulder mobility as that's part of that problem. For pull ups I can nearly do an inverted row!

Whenever I reach where I want to be with something, I review and see what I'll change about what I do. This is just how I've been working so far.

"Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection"

Epic Quest: Sif's list of awesome

Challenge: let's smash another year #low-carb #push-ups #intermittent fasting

Spoiler

Sif rises once more (~2020): 1

The Return of Sif (~2018): 1, 2, 34567, 8

The Age of Kibcy (~2012/13): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89

My routines in the past have been slight modifications of this, but this is my plan for the new year:

Monday - Legs and Arms

Squat: 5,4,3,2,1,1,1, 5-3-1

SLDL: 3-5 Sets

Front Squat: 3-5 Sets

Bicep Curls: 3-5 Sets

Pushdowns: 3-5 Sets

Tuesday - Steady State or Interval Cardio

Wednesday - Press

Overhead Press: 5-3-1

Bench Press: 5-3-1

Decline Press: 3-5 Sets

Incline Press: 3-5 Sets

Dips: 3-5 Sets

Thursday - Steady State or Interval Cardio

Friday - Pull

Conventional Deadlift: 5-3-1

Sumo Deadlift: 5-3-1

Pulldowns: 3-5 Sets

Rows: 3-5 Sets

Shrugs: 3-5 Sets

Saturday - Karate

Sunday - Rest

During the week it'll be about an hour, and I may do something at home (workout with the wife, go to karate, etc) for an hour or so.

I have done workouts 7 days a week before, eventually I just got used to it. The workouts would actually energize me. The trick is to eat enough and sleep enough to support the workload.

I take a rest day because I like watching tv and playing video games. If I had more free time with work and such, I'd go back to working out 7 days a week.

IDDQD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Current Challenge

Race: MALIETOA

Class: WARRIOR

STR: 4 | DEX: 1 | STA: 1 | CON: 3 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 4

I usually train Monday - Wednesday - Friday. I find I tend to need a rest day after a workout.

No set routine at the moment whilst I'm coming back from a knee injury, but based around the barbell compound lifts- squatting, deadlifts, OHP, bench press, rows, cleans. I also enjoy doing bodyweight exercises, pullups, dips, pushups etc.

Workouts are usually 5 minutes on a rowing machine, have a good stretch, then head up to the weights room for an hour. After that 5 minute warm down then shower.

When I had a different gym routine I used to do consecutive days at a time- though that was with the chump-o-matic machines and not nearly as much effort, after a good workout now I feel totally shattered. At home I've got a pull up bar and dumbbells, I'll use those on a rest day if I feel like it. It's also a timing thing- I'm usually a bit busy to go to the gym more than 3 times a week, and need my rest days.

I do wonder how much energy I expend at band practice, after a half an hour set run through I'm usually soaked with sweat. 3hrs of that and I'm pretty dead after.

Monday:

Basketball-6:30-7:30

Hockey-9pm-10pm (sometimes I skip if I'm beat)

Tuesday: (Rest/Light Exercise)

Wednesday:

(Heavy) Set/Rep/St. Wt

Warm-up 2-3min Rests

Deadlifts 4x3-5

B-Press/DB Press 4x3-5

T-Bar Row 4x3-5

Dips/P-Up Var. 3 Sets to Fail

Thursday (Rest/Light Exercise)

Friday:

(Light)

Warm-up 45 Sec Rests

Squat/Lunges 4x12-15

Overhead Press 4x12-15

Chin Ups 3 Sets to Fail

Core Exercise 3 x 1min

Saturday: (Rest/Light Exercise)

Sunday:

(Medium)

Warm-up 60 Sec Rests

Deadlifts 4x8-10

B-Press/DB Press 4x8-10

Reverse Body Row 3x8-10

Dips/P-Up Var. 3 Sets to Fail

Cardio 20min Sprint Intervals

I play hockey 2-3 times a week which helps with cardio

I walk the dog for 30min a day as well.

I might implement a pull-up regiment twice a week and dips or push-ups to failure once a week

Rest days are awesome and needed for me.

♣Cheers

♣IRISHodabred♣, Level 2 Celtic Hound Archon Ranger: STR 8|DEX 5|STA 6|CON 5|WIS 5|CHA 6

2nd Challenge Log: Will Squat for...

1st Challenge Log: Gym Class Hero Challenge

“Discipline Is Choosing Between What You Want Now And What You Want Most.â€

"You have to do what others won't to achieve what others don't"

"Do or do not, there is no try"

I'm just getting back into my workouts, but I've decided to stick with what I know works for me. Years ago I used Bryce Lane's 50/20 routine using only the Clean and Press to help me pass the firefighter CPAT. I'll be using a few more exercises this time around, using a sandbag instead of a barbell, and focusing on the C&P, bearhug squat and pullups and dips or pushups.

The routine basically breaks down to trying to get 50 reps of your chosen exercise done in 20 minutes. Once you hit that target, you increase the weight.

Current routine (more specifics in the workout log in my signature)

Mon AM - Run/walk 1 mile, and then Heavy lifting, Bodyweight, then additional lifting and usually some agility/movement work. 2 hours or so (Monday is a 1/2 of work for me).

Mon PM - More bodyweight, yoga/stretching - 30 mins+

Tue AM - 3-4 mile run

Tue PM - Walk, run, or parkour work - 30 min +. Stretching 15 mins

Wed AM - Run/walk 1 mile, and then Heavy lifting, bodyweight - 1 hour

Wed PM - More bodyweight, yoga/stretching - 30 mins+

Thu AM - Run/walk 1 mile, and then Sprints, parkour and plyometrics - 1 hour

Thu PM - Walk, run, or parkour work - 30 min +. Stretching 15 mins

Fri AM - Run/walk 1 mile, and then Heavy lifting, bodyweight - 1 hour

Fri PM - More bodyweight, yoga/stretching - 30 mins+

Sat - "Free" day; I do a 1-2 hour workout, but what I do varies

Sun - "Rest" day; no running or lifting but I usually walk or bike

My only secret is I listen to my body and take off a day or two as needed. I've found recently that if I take off Saturday, then I am restless on Sunday and that just doesn't work - Sunday needs to be an easy day or I blow my lifting and bodyweight the next week.

HALF-OGRE
Level 3 Ranger / Level 1 Sexy Grandpa

Str: 10.75 Dex: 11 Sta: 9.25 Con: 7.5 Wis: 6.75 Cha: 5.75

"The chief cause of failure and unhappiness is trading what you want most for what you want right nowâ€. ― Zig Ziglar

Introduction
Current 6 week challenge
My workout log

Specialization is for insects. Do all the things!

I'm still in the process of developing the specifics, but the general plan is

Monday-Heated Yoga or run

Tuesday-Overall Body strength training(with a slight emphasis on lower body)

Wednesday-Run

Thursday-Overall Body strength training(with a slight emphasis on upper body)

Friday-Run

Weekend-kind of random, could be rest, often times my weekend activities are physical in nature, lots of hiking.

I'm considering adding an extra session of strength training in addition to my run days, and just doing different movements so I don't do the exact moves, 2x in a row.

PS-all my strength training is body weight stuff

rybo, level 4 Human assassinSTR 16|DEX 7.5|STA 9|CON 12|WIS 8.5|CHA 5 

I do CrossFit. I go at lunchtime Mon, Tues, Wed, Thursday, and after work Friday and one other day (usually Tues or Wed). On my "one other day," I work specifically on a skill (pull ups, hand stands, box jumps, snatches, whatever), and the other five times I do whatever is programmed that day. I sometimes go on Saturday, and never go on Sunday. If I have a conflict with any of these times, I just don't go.

All in all, most weeks, I work out five to seven times, spread over five to six days.

If I'm feeling run down, I don't necessarily take a rest day, I start by making sure to eat better and get more sleep. Then I might scale a workout down a little bit. If those two things don't do it, then I take a rest day. I wind up taking one unplanned rest day (other than Sunday) once every three weeks or so.

LRB, Lifelong Rebel Badass  ||  June 3 challenge thread

"What I lack in ability, I make up in stubbornness" -me

"Someone busier than you is working out right now" -my mom

I lift on MTTF and occasionally on an off day if I'm bored or restless. I cycle chest/legs with shoulders/back, thus hitting each group twice a week. I only have 45 minutes to work out, so a normal routine might look like this:

Chest/Back:

5 sets Squat / Incline Dumbbell Bench Press / Incline Dumbbell Fly superset

5 sets Seated Leg Curl / Bench Press / Cable Crossover superset

Back/Shoulders:

5 sets Deadlift / Pull-Up / Side Lateral Raise

5 sets Overhead Press / Bent Over Barbell Row / Front Dumbbell Raise

Sometimes, like this week, I'll change it up with fully body workouts or just whatever I feel like doing (today I wanted to do 100 squats). Workouts are 45 minutes during my lunch break at work, so the day looks like this:

6:00: Wake up

7:15: Arrive at work, begin drinking copious amounts of coffee

11:15: Lift all the things

12:00-8:00: Eat all the things during 8 hour IF feeding window

10:00: Fall asleep

Repeat!

2/13/12

Starting Primal and free weights

10/02/12

Starting LeanGains. Still lifting all the things.

Fitocracy

Typical Week for me(for the last few months):

S: Lift

M: Run

T: Lift

W: Run

Th: Lift

F: Off(or light bike work)

Sat: Sprints/Intervals

My lifting sessions are typically alternating Deadlift + Bench or Squat + Overhead Press. I do some bodyweight pulling work(chinups/pull-ups etc.) and/or rows in these sessions as well. Right now, my running sessions are short(5k in a little under 25 minutes is a fairly typical run for me currently), though I may be going back to longer distances some time next year. I also have an indoor bicycle trainer in my apartment, so I throw in some random bike work on various occasions - sometimes some easy LISS-style work in the morning before breakfast, or sometimes a fairly hard 25-30 minute effort in the evening as a substitute for running.

I will sometimes move my off day around to accommodate social/work functions - or take an extra off day if my recovery seems to be falling behind.

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

I currently workout MWF. Usually, Monday is sandbag lifts, Wednesday is dumbbells, and Friday is bodyweight. Over the summer, I also ran on Tuesday/Thursday. When I was exercising 5 days a week, I did not feel run down because I alternated lifting and cardio days. Workouts are usually 20-45 minutes, done first thing in the morning before the rest of the family gets up.

Level 32 Minifig Jedi Assassin

Current Challenge  | Battle Log | "Epic" Quest

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6789101111.51213141516171819, 2021222324, 25, 262728293031323334

"A man who wants to do something will find a way; a man who doesn't will find an excuse." -Stephan Dolley, Jr.

"You don't get stronger by skipping workouts." - me, to myself, about 3 times a week

I workout on an alternating A/B 5x5 schedule Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday. Then I also work in an extra core exercise in everyday.

A:

Squats

Standing Military Overhead Press

Pulldowns/Pull Ups (depends on what is available)

Dips (Currently BW but going to move to weighted soon)

Rows (I do One Arm Bench Rows)

B:

Squats

Bench

Deadlift

Tricep Push Downs ( I will probably do these with a rope)

Preacher Curls

For core exercises usually do one of the following but sometimes mix in other exercises:

Planks

Russian Ab Twist

Hanging Leg Raises

Supermans

Reach your limits and then surpass them.

Blindasutsutsu
My Current Challenge:
Class: Ranger
Race: Human
STR:13.5 DEX:8.5 STA: 10.5 CON:6 WIS:5 CHA:6.5

Every day I run or hike 8-12km with my dog (otherwise the dog gets a little crazy). I do 50 pushups every morning as part of my "waking up" routine, and since I work from home about 80% of the time and have a bar in the doorway to the washroom I throw in random sets of chin/pull-ups throughout the day.

I try to go rock climbing 2 days a week, take a yoga/pilates fusion class at my gym 2-3 times a week, and have a 15 minute bodyweight/dumbbell routine that I usually do 3 or 4 times a week.

For those of you who exercise everyday without a rest day - do you ever feel tired? Run down? If yes why do you continue to work out everyday? If not - what's your secret!?

With the daily stuff, I find that I feel it more if I don't do it. I joke that the dog goes crazy if he doesn't get his daily distance, but honestly so do I (although unlike the dog I don't try to de-stuff the sofa if we can't get it in ;) ).

Wood Elf Assassin
  -- Level 10 --
STR 26 | DEX 13 | STA 19 | CON 7 | WIS 14 | CHA 14

I play hockey 2-3 times a week

I walk the dog for 30min a day as well.

♣Cheers

Irish, will you date me?

Ok, so since that's not going to happen, can I just come watch you play hockey? I'll knit while I'm in the stands.

I love the smell of the ice.

&Heidi

West-Marches Campaign Herb-Gatherer

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid  Level 12 Philosopher and level 11 Librarian (built on the Monk class, with a training path in The Way of the Cobalt Soul)

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | :: 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 |

Shaman: 82 | 83 | 84

Philosopher-Librarian 85 |:: 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

Archived