Bouncer eyes the entrance of the dungeon, the stone stairs below her don’t look appealing at all. She could feel her heart drop, as the sunlight seemed to get lost in the entrance.  She had heard from many that opportunities for adventurers of any alike could treasure hunt and call for bounties for the many monsters. Bouncer’s druid instinct seemed to wonder though what would happen if she continued her hero story differently, making the many levels of a deep dungeon a home of hers!

----

2 inspirations while I tried to Unplug... 

"Delicious in the Dungeon"  (Netflix Series)and “Walkscape”  (game )aka going cold turkey unplugging didn't work and realize I had some really good inspiration around me. 

A new perspective on how long a journey is and how fluid/open it is.  And what type of games/stories are better for me now. 

Overall goals for 2024: 

Have a Thriving Base Camp

-Fully Unpack, Organize/Declutter, Hygge, Catification

Making Delicious in the Dungeon

-To be Upfront Money IS TIGHT with my current home, I have a hard time eating only from home while being busy AND staying frugal. Also realizing to work on some financial goals (paying off student loans, having money for needs, and saving for a few dream trips…). The more creative I can get better. 

Maintaining Making Gold

I’m in a lucky life stage, I HAVE many opportunities to make money. My stamina and executive functioning skills are what shortcuts me. 

Keep my Mana High and Become a better Druid

Meditation, mindfulness, Qigong, Eating nutrient-dense food, stay active. All help me keep my energy up and continue my healing. Life is not at my most difficult, but I am in the part of my life to strengthen skills and habits with tools to become helpful in future stresses. 

Okay, SMART goals for this challenge!

Find Base Camp and Learn what Monsters are Edible

• Restart FlyLady 31 Baby steps, the goal is to do a Morning/Evening routine daily. To make it a little easier I will only continue on the baby steps when I feel confident to continue on the next step (morning check-in). End goal - have the morning/evening goals be a habit. 

85%+ - I find a safe place to set up a camp in the dungeon and has what I need, able to start wandering a little safer. 

Below 85%  I might have a random monster attack to get through to keep going through the dungeon. 

Struggling to write this in a SMART goal. Meal plan/Prep/Eat; stay under budget. Only go out to eat once.  Staying in budget is 100% difficult. So will share my thoughts around it. 

• Like 4

For FLY Lady jumping to Day 2 (Clean Sink/Clean Dishes and Dress to Shoes in the Morning). 

Current Morning Evening habit: 

Morning: 

-Dream Journal

-Make Bed

-Dress to Shoes

-Put Dry Dishes away, empty out dishwasher

-Clean Litter Boxes

-Qigong Routine

Evening: 

-Clean Littler Pans

-Shiny Sink

-Meditate

Lot of these are added habits on my part.... not quite with FLY Lady but my morning evening routine. This week I will see how I do with above. 

Meal planning I went way over budget by buying all produce and chicken breast. Along with sparkling water and some household items. I ended up throwing away the receipt without thinking but I felt the register pinged something in my heart when I read $101... *sigh*. I just didn't have the spoons to figure out something different. Personally really glad I didn't go anywhere except Aldis because the number would have bumped up significantly. 

My morning started today, and expecting a snow storm to come through! 

• Like 1

Delicious in Dungeon is so good! Here for this!

• Thanks 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

16 hours ago, Loveable_Bouncer said:

Bouncer’s druid instinct seemed to wonder though what would happen if she continued her hero story differently, making the many levels of a deep dungeon a home of hers!

A different and awesome perspective, and I really want to see what this looks like!

• Thanks 1

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

Here for all the fun Dungeon things! Following.

• Thanks 1

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore before you decide to be happy” -Nightbirde

“Dreams do not come true all by themselves. They are nourished by the bounty of hard work”  -Unknown Disney Imagineer

2024 Word

Svastha: Standing in One’s Own Power

Current Challenge:

Sepherina Continues her Quest of Strength

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 , #6 , #7 , #8 , #9#10#11

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

23 hours ago, Sovalis said:

Delicious in Dungeon is so good! Here for this!

Yay!

13 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

A different and awesome perspective, and I really want to see what this looks like!

When it just "clicks" , that's what I love about!

6 hours ago, Sepherina said:

Here for all the fun Dungeon things! Following.

Yay, idk how this Dungeon is going to go. But off we go!

Bouncer woke up with a chill to her bone. She looked up to the light blue sky, feeling the warm wind of the outside world blowing over her face, rustling the grass around her. Warming her soul as her two familiars sat on her chest watching her as they purred. They helped with their duty and protection, but their eyes showed it was past their mealtime.  The noise of voices in her head quieted down, but so many left and right that felt heavier than the nearly 20 lbs on her chest.

She had taken the shortcut…. The darn shortcut, the one she didn’t even know about until a cloaked figure had shown up to give her the amazing idea. Taking the easy way ended up having her run into a catacomb full of ghosts looking for easy prey. Her familiars quickly warned her and helped place a defense before she was attacked by the hoard of ice-cold beasts.

She sighed as her chest was able to relief tension to take in a deep breath the voices turned from just noise to her own voice, declaring how weak she was to be taken down. The higher pitched  meows called her back, to breath again as the hungry cat familiars were getting restless.

Another breath, Bouncer pulled herself up and found the rations to feed them. Chirps of joy sounded the quiet areas as Bouncer stared at the entrance that was before her. It was good to be in refuge of the Spring weather here that kept her warm. The entrance that before looked enticing, now appeared scary and murky.

Bouncer pulled her purple crystal talisman, hanging off a silver chain she lifted it toward the entrance. The talisman spun clockwise quickly, a direction she had never seen before as she could feel heat from the chain. The talisman that barely hinted at being awake with purple sparkles, confirmed I had to go in. This was my place for my new home. No matter how dark and scary it looked. She sighed as she put the talisman back into it's pouch. No longer enthused by the guidance. The dumb act ended up costing her mana, so I will have to spend some time on making sure I'm sufficient before starting down the stairs. 

----

*stares at the paragraphs above*

Damn I haven't enjoyed writing this much in at least a year (probably longer). Yay for unlocking the RPG story to look like life. 

Okay, so the morning/evening routine was a bit to zealous!

Back to reality. 

For morning and evening routine, I'm going to focus on prioritizing sleep. If I go to bed early enough I also tend to meditate to help quiet my anxiety... 

But it takes focus and the idea of collecting Mana in Delicious in Dungeon makes a great analogy to my personal goals. In the series if a magic user fights to hard/uses excessive magic that doesn't have any way to add magic to them. They either need to find a source of Mana (like eating a magical being) or rest/recuperate/take care of themselves. 

I am a sitting duck when I don't get enough rest, but I avoid it. 

I don't have rules to follow or points, but the hope is I also meditate and journal. As the last two nights I've been running away from something mentally where even the cats are watching me like "why no routine?"

scared cat GIF

So sleep focus with FLY lady while figuring out food. 

For food all weekend I ate from home (I bought berries and yogurt, and may have lived off that mostly with sandwiches). I wanted to go get food all weekend and reminded myself of the food I had. 

Wasn't able to follow through for Monday's lunch... but. I did bring snacks so no 2 in a row. So got what I really wanted at work (burger and fries with pop), but have nuts/raisins for snacks. 

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 1

22 hours ago, athousandwords said:

Following along! Love seeing you make your life into your own RPG! 🎉

Glad to have you along. 

---

Okay, so we just bumped into 3-4 days of snow that we haven't had all winter. 
I got my prayers answered to get the work time I wanted and some extra movement. But after an alarming warm winter and encountering: 2 days of heavy snow with freezing rain to start and finish. And Some cold temps to freeze over my car (and every surface). I'm just SUPER happy I decided to prioritize sleep. 

Something almost pushed me over an edge from fatigue, or having to troubleshoot I can see sleep helps. I know this, but trying to pep talk to keep it up!

I could have done work last night but instead scrolled on youtube random videos for 2 hours, but still go up did the evening routine. 

For Delicious in the Dungeon I brought chicken breast and broccoli to work. My manager ended up having all the items for grilled cheese from an aged cheddar cheese. I regret eating two because the 2nd one ruined the first one... but wow was in love with the "grilled cheese maker" they had.  

For meals at home, I have been either eating my greek yogurt, peanut butter/honey on toast and chicken breast with veggies (and the sweet potatoes I have used yet). 

https://thestonesoup.com/chicken-and-cabbage/

The recipe is helping give a different flavor profile, while also other ideas on how to one sheet dinner my food if I can't get the full meal prep. PLUS how to cook the flippin cabbage that is super cheap here (about 40 cents a lb right now). Or the idea of adding a bit more olive oil if the chicken is too dry (especially as I'm using chicken breast).   I definitely have larger cooking sheets on my wish list to help prep a whole head of cabbage (had a tiny sheet from my smaller apartment days). I will need to print off this recipe for the good non-a/c season. Don't think it will be the best when it's above 70 degree outside, but pretty good for these cold days this week!

This website for "The Stone Soup" is also pretty amazing. I had taken her popup quiz last week and was given the report that I was "recipe burnout". I  felt this in my SOUL. I want to learn how to use more flavors. I crave more flavors especially as I'm trying to figure out how to figure out how to change the dial on my taste buds when I need something different.  She even has suggestions on how to make things "pantry stable or store". So if I'm sick of cabbage this week, I can quickly store it to be used at a later week. 

• Like 2

Since it is not always socially acceptable... found out Idk if I will ever lose a pant size where my pants fall off but I did have another discovery with this NSV week that my budget was "meh" on. TMI...but I can't share to anyone right now. 

Spoiler

Found out I dropped nearly 2 sizes in underwear. I knew things were getting loose, but after having to go buy some new ones because I kept getting a wedgie when walking... 

Bought two sizes as in the past I would find out I didn't drop a size, I just needed a less stretched out pair. I ended up finding out I was the smaller of the 2! Whoot! 

I haven't really been working on weight loss, but have been focusing on eating more food from at home (and having the balanced plate meal plan in mind). And trying to move more to hit step goals in my game Walkscape. (Had the walking goal to at least 3,500 steps for nearly a month because I couldn't maintain for a whole week). Now having an NSV a week after finally hitting a daily 4,000 steps has me realize how I could get to my weight goal without hyper focusing on it. I will get there!

Also I'm in hope as I'm finishing a month of a new medication for my endometriosis,  I noticed my acne has been clearing but if I have been losing any fat my hormones haven't had a panic attack like they usually do yet. *finger crossed* I will continue to have at least minimal symptoms as I move in the right directions. 

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 3

That is a great NSV, congrats!!

I have found my weight loss has been a byproduct of dialling in other things and that I find that the best for my brain. Wishing you the same steady changes with simple adjustments! 

• Like 1

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 minutes ago, Sovalis said:

That is a great NSV, congrats!!

I have found my weight loss has been a byproduct of dialling in other things and that I find that the best for my brain. Wishing you the same steady changes with simple adjustments! 

My brain goes "ooh that is what this means."

May we find out what healthy life habits help with the physical goals!

• That's Metal 1

9 hours ago, Loveable_Bouncer said:

I can't share to anyone right now. 

You can always share here. There's no judgement in The Rebellion.

And that is a grand and noble victory!

9 hours ago, Sovalis said:

I have found my weight loss has been a byproduct of dialling in other things and that I find that the best for my brain. 

Weird how our minds and our bodies and our quality of life all are connected, isn't it? ;) 

• That's Metal 2

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

12 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

You can always share here. There's no judgement in The Rebellion.

And that is a grand and noble victory!

Thank you! It REALLY is!

12 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Weird how our minds and our bodies and our quality of life all are connected, isn't it? ;) 

Okay, but its funny how in I've been studying this hard for 6 years and there is still times my brain goes "ohhh that's how it works!". 

----

3 days in a row with 8 hours of sleep... and I woke up feeling even more exhausted. Aka, I'm finally feeling how tired I am. 

But got work done last night, need to get more done... but getting my butt toward bed after 8 to be in it by 9 has been working for the better. 

Yesterday morning I made Ugly chicken and cabbage before work, think I ended up running late between that and eggs but lesson learned. Found out if I don't chop the cabbage into tiny pieces but go for slices, it turns out like noodle shapes! Doesn't replace noodles but a VERY different needed texture to know.

----

I was reading @Sovalis's challenge. the talk about wheat flour effecting joint pain. IDK if I have joint pain, but I 100% have inflammation in all my joints (especially as I try to move more). From my feet, knees and hips to even my back and ribs.

My brain brought up last night... what would be a passive way to lose some of the pain I'm losing until I could do more? 

Brought it up to my naturopath a few years ago when I was seeing her and she confirmed it was definitely inflammation I was feeling. From her and others in my life I have been suggested to avoid eating: refined sugar, white flour and seed oil. 

Before I would be changing my diet for losing weight (tight serving sizes). Or other rules. I already avoid buying ingredients, but as I work on how to cook in the dungeon. I can the recipes that will help me not only survive the dungeon but get stronger/feel better. 

• Like 5

On 3/27/2024 at 11:17 AM, Loveable_Bouncer said:

Or the idea of adding a bit more olive oil if the chicken is too dry (especially as I'm using chicken breast). 

My favorite way to cook chicken breasts in the oven without drying out: https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-cook-the-best-chicken-breasts-in-the-oven-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-211453

• Like 1

Level 16 Ravenclaw Rebel

Fairy tales do not start, nor do they end, in the dark forest (Ted Lasso)
COMPLETED CHALLENGES: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 13.5 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18

CURRENT CHALLENGE

12 hours ago, Loveable_Bouncer said:

Okay, but its funny how in I've been studying this hard for 6 years and there is still times my brain goes "ohhh that's how it works!". 

I don't think that ever goes away. Fitness and nutrition are fields that will always have new things for us, no matter how many year we've spent on them. And that's a good thing. :) 

4 hours ago, athousandwords said:

My favorite way to cook chicken breasts in the oven without drying out: https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-cook-the-best-chicken-breasts-in-the-oven-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-211453

To quote the great and wise Tanktimus, the easiest way to cook chicken breasts without drying them out, is to cook chicken thighs instead ;) 

• Haha 3

On 3/28/2024 at 4:43 PM, athousandwords said:

Interesting, I love also the difference on herbing it up. 

I personally have just sprayed it down well with olive oil and the chicken breast is coming out good when I do a bake. 

On 3/28/2024 at 9:25 PM, Scaly Freak said:

don't think that ever goes away. Fitness and nutrition are fields that will always have new things for us, no matter how many year we've spent on them. And that's a good thing. :) 

True, true. Mental/spiritual are also the same for me. This is life lol... and all the adjustments that come with it. 

On 3/28/2024 at 9:25 PM, Scaly Freak said:

To quote the great and wise Tanktimus, the easiest way to cook chicken breasts without drying them out, is to cook chicken thighs instead ;) 

True true, I honestly enjoy chicken thighs but it has been encouraged I stick to the leaner cuts for my meat protein... 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Loveable_Bouncer said:

True true, I honestly enjoy chicken thighs but it has been encouraged I stick to the leaner cuts for my meat protein... 

Fair enough. (Trimming fat off chicken thighs is a tedious chire). If you're looking to get some variety now and then, cutting the chicken breasts in strips/pieces and stir frying them could be a nice change of pace.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2024 at 2:01 PM, Scaly Freak said:

Fair enough. (Trimming fat off chicken thighs is a tedious chire). If you're looking to get some variety now and then, cutting the chicken breasts in strips/pieces and stir frying them could be a nice change of pace.

Yup, yup. 

Cutting meat isn't the mentally easiest right now... but I have done exactly that (and will enjoy doing it especially in the hotter months). 

---

To put it bluntly my mana has dropped.  I had a good few days last week on getting into bed on time. By Friday... it went out the window. Blah.  Been working on this habit for years and it is just tough. 

While at the same time I have now achieved benefits from my side job. If I maintain an average of 20 hours a week, my water/trash bill gets dropped and I will drop 15% on my rent. Huzzah! (It's all going toward my student debt....)

Aka I'm getting the gold, and the best living discount for the quality of life I have right now. Hence why I need to keep my mana up....  (I literally no know one in my life that can maintain a healthy lifestyle and work 60 hours a week

So this right now is a goal to maintain the 20 a week (40 biweekly). I have some habits I need to figure out with flex hours. 

Top it off, soon as I got the above reward I ended up smashing my thumb in a patio door (incredible pain for nearly 12 hours...). Didn't break anything and it ended up being due to a faulty of the door (I had my hand on the handle... but there is no gap for your thumb).  I had to call off hours that day (confirmed with urgent care my hand is okay, just painfully located bruise). And took off yesterday (regained mana as I slept a whole day away...). 

Due to the injury, putting together basic food... was REALLY hard. A long with the desire of comfort food. (Have to remember to keep money in my *break glass for comfort food* budget category).  I'm overwhelmed with my tight food budget, and realized "what happens if I plan the worst case scenario, and work my way back?". (Basically food budget more money, and enjoy when I can buy less... and enjoy buying meat and frozen pizzas for a bit). 

---

So edit of goals: 

• Bedtime before 9 pm (or 1 hour after getting home from work/social time)
    • Goal to hit goals 4 times; no 2 in a row. I can play any video games for 1 hour
  • Work an extra 20 hours a week (or 40 for 2 weeks)
    • Goal 20 hours in a week (or 40 within 2 weeks), I will earn 1 hour of video games per 20 hours
  • Meal plan/eat from home breakfast that fits my anti-inflammation goal. Goal is to come up with 4-6 recipes to rotate (and the budget with them). 
    • Inventory a new recipe every week (yay or nay, put in binder if a win w/ price breakdown).  Reward - 1 hours of gaming for eating breakfast all week, and at least 1 feed back for the week. 

I will track by checking in every morning after being ready in the morning. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Loveable_Bouncer said:

Top it off, soon as I got the above reward I ended up smashing my thumb in a patio door (incredible pain for nearly 12 hours...). Didn't break anything and it ended up being due to a faulty of the door (I had my hand on the handle... but there is no gap for your thumb).  I had to call off hours that day (confirmed with urgent care my hand is okay, just painfully located bruise). And took off yesterday (regained mana as I slept a whole day away...). 

Due to the injury, putting together basic food... was REALLY hard. A long with the desire of comfort food. (Have to remember to keep money in my *break glass for comfort food* budget category).  I'm overwhelmed with my tight food budget, and realized "what happens if I plan the worst case scenario, and work my way back?". (Basically food budget more money, and enjoy when I can buy less... and enjoy buying meat and frozen pizzas for a bit). 

OUCH! Reading that injury description made my own thumbs twitch. I'm glad it wasn't a serious injury, though obviously I hope the pain passes quickly! Take care of yourself, and remember that perfection is for toxic people. ;) It's more important to eat anything at all right now, than it is to follow your food plan at every turn (note I do mean "plan", budgets generally should always be adhered to if possible), and be patient with your hand while it recovers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm sorry you're hurt! That's rough! I hope it heals up quickly and completely. 

Good vibes for adhering to budgets both financial and nutritional. Do you know the Budget Bytes website? 

https://www.budgetbytes.com/

I'm such a fan. 

Check-in... as my computer is dying. But yay reached my morning goals. 

Will reply back to comments probably Sunday!

Thursday

• Going to bed before 9/1 hour when I get home - 1/4 late night as I had work to catch up on, 10 mins ended up being a coworker needing a vent. Realized doing rounds on the buildings each night will up my steps significantly. 
  • Breakfast - N/A bought breakfast at work
  • Hours/20... I don't know where I'm at right now... but I worked about 3 hours last night after my 10 hour shift. 

Tonight and tomorrow I have social stuff! My friend that moved across country last year is coming into town this week. I'm super happy I can help them by picking them up at the airport tonight, and help run an errand. Tomorrow I have a retreat (been going to one every 2 months since November),  was told this was the last one due to MN's tend to not want to do indoor things when the weather is nice/planting season for my mentor.  So yay people, and then I run home after to have dinner with a group of my friends with the friend in town (they are a bit of kingpin with getting a group of us together). 

So super excited, but I know I won't hit the 20 hours this week due to injury/time management last Sunday and Tuesday/and being busy. But I can gain them back next week (as I have some deep cleaning around the buildings to work on too). 

• Like 3

2/4 for getting into bed. Left my friend earlier than they liked (9 pm lol), but I noticed issues with my direction tracking and reaction while driving. Was in bed approximately 10. Big win as I wanted to sit on my phone for an hour to "decompress" while the cats wanted bedtime routine. Remembering I want a point! Got me going. 

Breakfast: https://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/280738/spinach-peanut-butter-banana-smoothie/ (change kefir to milk or half yogurt/water). This is a spot on green smoothie that fills me up with a couple eggs. Big win on getting my green vegetables right away! 1/7

Didn't work extra hours. 

• Like 3