Forums are back in action! ×

The Minimalism Game - 30 Days to Less Stuff! [Sept. 14 - Oct. 13, 2015]

The rules are simple. As detailed on "The Minimalists" blog, http://www.theminimalists.com/game/:

Find a friend or family member: someone who’s willing to get rid of their excess stuff. This month, each of you must get rid of one thing on the first day. On the second, two things. Three items on the third. So forth, and so on. Anything can go! Clothes, furniture, electronics, tools, decorations, etc. Donate, sell, or trash. Whatever you do, each material possession must be out of your house—and out of your life—by midnight each day.

It’s an easy game at first. However, it starts getting challenging by week two when you’re both jettisoning more than a dozen items each day. Whoever can keep it going the longest wins; you both win if you can make it all month. Bonus points if you play with more than two people.

This PVP will start on Sept. 14, 2015 and run for thirty days. Are you in?

* Thanks to Rowan the Ranger for instigating this PVP via her post on Rurik the Ranger's challenge thread.

Participants

acfourni

BlackTezca

darkfoxx

everanything

Jakkals

JMitch

jmk

Kilo

Raven Firestorm

rowan

Rurik the Ranger

ShadowLion

Shadri

SheHulk

skinNbones

Wolfenstein

Yraen of the Engwar

• Like 4

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

I'm in. This ought to force me to unpack my belongings and purge my way through them in a more reasonable amount of time rather than living out of boxes for months to come!

• Like 1

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

I'm in, and wondering how I can refrain from jumping in to day like 12 at once :) 

• Like 2

Level 87 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 8485 | 86 | 87  ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

I'm planning on listing - at least in my thread. Probably here, too, if I remember. 

• Like 2

Level 87 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 8485 | 86 | 87  ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||

I'M IN!  HAHAHA, this is going to be great, guys!

• Like 1

LEVEL ONE APPRENTICE WIZARD RANGER: HUMAN UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE

Achievements Unlocked:  Breakfast Warrior, Pushupapalooza, Quadruple Nanomaster, Return From the Dead, Gainful Employment, Leap of Faith, Minimalism Game, Get Thee Behind Me, Coffee, Camp Nerd Fitness 2015, Return From the Dead 2: The Undeadening, Gainful Employment 2: Boss Edition, Fancy Comics Person, Rogue Hair

Tumblr of VERY INTERESTING ART: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/radicalwizardtimes

Like, house-cleaning battle royale, except that there is a best-case scenario where WE ALL WIN!

I also do like to record the things I get rid of each day - makes for a good check-in, plus then at the end you can read back over your notes and be all like, holy crap I owned all those THINGS?  Whoooahh...

• Like 2

LEVEL ONE APPRENTICE WIZARD RANGER: HUMAN UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE

Achievements Unlocked:  Breakfast Warrior, Pushupapalooza, Quadruple Nanomaster, Return From the Dead, Gainful Employment, Leap of Faith, Minimalism Game, Get Thee Behind Me, Coffee, Camp Nerd Fitness 2015, Return From the Dead 2: The Undeadening, Gainful Employment 2: Boss Edition, Fancy Comics Person, Rogue Hair

Tumblr of VERY INTERESTING ART: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/radicalwizardtimes

I'd say listing is a good idea.

What about a spreadsheet where we each have a column to list our items? Or is it better to keep it in the thread?

Next level beyond that: I can't promise anything, but I'm thinking a little list your stuff web app might be doable by then...Hmmm. My mind is working on this.

Let me know what you think.

• Like 1

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

@ShadowLion: Sounds intriguing. 

• Like 1

Level 87 Wood Elf Druid

||Char/RPG||

I've gotten rid of about a thousand pounds of stuff this lady couple months. .... i don't know that I have enough to compete in the game even though I'm still purging

hmmmm... sent by magic.... or fairies.... or small woodland creatures maybe? how does this thing work?

• Like 1

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

I've gotten rid of about a thousand pounds of stuff this lady couple months. .... i don't know that I have enough to compete in the game even though I'm still purging

hmmmm... sent by magic.... or fairies.... or small woodland creatures maybe? how does this thing work?

Play if you can or want. Otherwise be a cheerleader and mentor to the rest of us that are starting that journey!

Do you have to have someone in it with you? That's somewhat impossible for me. Could I just get rid of twice the stuff?

No need to do extra or try to find a buddy - You've got all the rest of us in the PVP!

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Disclosure:

Right now I've got half a garage full of stuff that I have been putting together to go to Goodwill. The thought crossed my mind that I should save it for the challenge, but two things are on my mind:

1. It's not really in the spirit of the game. I already know I'm getting rid of all that stuff. I love the idea of taking a serious look at the things I think are "worth keeping around" and deciding if it's really adding anything to my life. I want to be really challenged to take a good look at what I choose to surround myself with.

2. I don't want to have to hang on to this stuff for any longer than necessary! :) I think if I were to keep it around much longer I'd go nuts!

So everything will be delivered to Goodwill on Saturday or Sunday as scheduled, and I'll start the game with a clean slate.

There, I feel much better now! ;)

• Like 1

I think I can figure out things to get rid of.  The only problem is making sure I remember to do this everyday :P.  Definitely will need to keep track of this on my next challenge!

Race: Were-Jaguar | Class: CodeMONKey

Level: 18 | STR: 46  | DEX: 41  | STA: 35  | CON: 51  | WIS: 57 | CHA: 47

Spoiler

---

Challenges: CURRENT

18TH | 17TH | 16TH 15TH 14TH | 13TH | 12.5TH | 12TH | 11TH |

10TH | 9TH | 8TH 7TH | 6TH | 5TH | 4TH | 3RD | 2ND | 1ST

Accountbilbuddies: Artists unite for March/April 2017!

---

"Everyone's the same height when you punch them hard enough"

---

NF Character Profile | BATTLE LOG | Tumblr | DeviantArt | Warhammer 40k Shenanigans

I'm definitely in :) and I'm glad to be here with you like minded awesome people!

Wolf

"Let the Boomstick do the talking."

• Like 1

Wild Wolf

Class: Peerless Scarred/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 188#

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Intro to Wolflean

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Gotham Project: 1

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

I dunno how long I'll be able to keep it up, but I'm definitely willing to give it a go!

I second Raven Firestorm's question: are we to list our purged belongings here every day? Or does it matter?

I was planning on listing my purged items and periodically posting photo updates.  Not necessary, and I likely won't bother until we're into the higher numbers so there is actually something to show off, but I'll add another level of accountability for me.

I think I can figure out things to get rid of.  The only problem is making sure I remember to do this everyday :tongue:.  Definitely will need to keep track of this on my next challenge!

Worst case scenario, you can always pre-plan your purge ahead in anticipation of being busy or anything like that.  I can't see how that would be against the rules or spirit of the PvP.

• Like 3

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

Oh, geez, that's a lot of junk to eliminate. I did the math (because I like numbers) and that's 465 'things' in total. Do I possibly have that much stuff in my house that I don't need? I guess I'm about to find out.

• Like 3

Sylph Spellblade | Level 10 STR 5.2 | DEX 4.2 | STA 6.2 | CON 11.32 | WIS 6.75 | CHA 7.3

17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

Battle Log

Epic Quest!

Well when you look at it as 465 things.. That does make a difference lol. I'm not sure I have that many things either, but we shall see. I'm excited to purge a few things if anything else. There will be some constructiveness going on, I know it!

Wolf

"Let the Boomstick do the talking."

• Like 1

Wild Wolf

Class: Peerless Scarred/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 188#

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Intro to Wolflean

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Gotham Project: 1

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

Lol. Sounds like my DH. I explained the challenge to him, and he came back at me with panic face, saying we don't even *own* that many things (we totally do). 

9h5rue.jpg

• Like 2

Level 87 Wood Elf Druid

||Char/RPG||

Counting down the days... So far we have 12 participants. Spread the word to other rebels, so they can join the party!

• Like 2

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

That is true...465 things...I wonder when this starts if I'll find something new and go 'We had this?! ...Why?' and then put it as something to toss out later.  Build up by making new discoveries of stuff no one needs :)

• Like 2

Race: Were-Jaguar | Class: CodeMONKey

Level: 18 | STR: 46  | DEX: 41  | STA: 35  | CON: 51  | WIS: 57 | CHA: 47

Spoiler

---

Challenges: CURRENT

18TH | 17TH | 16TH 15TH 14TH | 13TH | 12.5TH | 12TH | 11TH |

10TH | 9TH | 8TH 7TH | 6TH | 5TH | 4TH | 3RD | 2ND | 1ST

Accountbilbuddies: Artists unite for March/April 2017!

---

"Everyone's the same height when you punch them hard enough"

---

NF Character Profile | BATTLE LOG | Tumblr | DeviantArt | Warhammer 40k Shenanigans