1 hour ago, Everstorm said:

The car's trunk evolved from the Latin "truncus" meaning the main stem of a tree or the human body.  Storage trunks (or chests) were presumably named so after the trees from which they were made.  In the late 1920's, cars were advertised as having trunk racks in the back, but they eventually evolved into having a built-in trunk of its own.

Intriguingly, because I always love thinking about modern Romance languages when discussing Latin roots, this is true in France French (I don't know for sure, but I would not be the slightest bit surprised to find out that this made it into English via French) and is reflected only slightly oddly in Canadian French where a car trunk literally translates to "suitcase", but I personally have always enjoyed the Spanish term maletero, or porter. Like a hotel porter who is paid to carry people's bags for them. Just a fun little bit of everyday personification :) (I should probably also point out that's the term I've heard in use in Puebla, Mexico; with Spanish being the way that it is, I'm sure there are 14 different regional variations!) 

• Like 1

Mom. Teacher. Language Enthusiast. Wood Elf :)

Current Challenge: The Threshold Chronicles of KCAleece

Alors je ne lui parlais ni de serpents boas, ni de forêts vierges, ni d'étoiles. Je me mettais à sa portée. Je lui parlais de bridge, de golf, de politique et de cravates. Et la grande personne était bien contente de connaître un homme aussi raisonnable.

2 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

It's easier than that. They literally strapped a wooden travel trunk to the back of the car. :D

(The boot comes from the boot locker on the back of a carriage, is my understanding.)

Ah!  I was wondering how the term evolved separately when Americans invented the car, but hadn't dived into it yet.

2 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

As a fellow etymology nerd, thank you for posting, I love actually having an answer when people ask questions like, why do we call it a trunk?

Words are fun.

1 hour ago, TimovieMan said:

Oh no, my joke!

image.gif.07e43ea3e027aade727086e8c897e666.gif

🤣

Haha!  Between being a linguist by preference and a teacher by trade, and just can't help but

7d271d65-f717-4f1b-87ec-d6ed76a6b0fa_text.gif.36d655a5c691f674c8afd11cce9d0b50.gif

45 minutes ago, kcaleece said:

Intriguingly, because I always love thinking about modern Romance languages when discussing Latin roots, this is true in France French (I don't know for sure, but I would not be the slightest bit surprised to find out that this made it into English via French) and is reflected only slightly oddly in Canadian French where a car trunk literally translates to "suitcase", but I personally have always enjoyed the Spanish term maletero, or porter. Like a hotel porter who is paid to carry people's bags for them. Just a fun little bit of everyday personification :) (I should probably also point out that's the term I've heard in use in Puebla, Mexico; with Spanish being the way that it is, I'm sure there are 14 different regional variations!) 

Oh, that's a fun one!

• Like 1

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

31 minutes ago, Everstorm said:

when Americans invented the car

The Germans secured that one, I'm afraid. :D

(The French have a claim on the earliest prototype about a century earlier, but it was steam-powered, not a car in the modern sense.)

• Like 3

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

18 hours ago, Everstorm said:

My brain was full of nope today for no real reason I can discern.  

I first read this as full of hope, and was happy for you. Maybe that can be tomorrow's brain?

• Haha 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

30 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

The Germans secured that one, I'm afraid. :D

Ah, you're right.  I was confusing that with Ford's invention on the assembly line, which made the car cheap and readily available to the common man.

2 minutes ago, Harriet said:

I first read this as full of hope, and was happy for you. Maybe that can be tomorrow's brain?

Sounds good to me!

• Like 1

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

1 hour ago, Everstorm said:

Haha!  Between being a linguist by preference and a teacher by trade, and just can't help but

7d271d65-f717-4f1b-87ec-d6ed76a6b0fa_text.gif.36d655a5c691f674c8afd11cce9d0b50.gif

*squees*

I *love* Inigo Montoya (and by extension, Mandy Patinkin)!

let-me-explain-sum-up.gif 

❤️

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Active challenges: Spring Respawn: Winter Blues to Summer Bod | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

2023-24 threads: Challenge VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII

2018-19 & 2021 threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII

4 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

*squees*

I *love* Inigo Montoya (and by extension, Mandy Patinkin)!

let-me-explain-sum-up.gif 

❤️

Yes, iirc you were planning to introduce the film to your son.  Did you?

Mandy Patinkin seems like such a lovely person.  I would love to meet him.

Kept sugar down today, doubled down on veggies at dinner and...read a book all day lol.

Dodged a bullet with a freeze threat this week when so many of my plants decided a month ago that it was spring.  Not only do I not appear to have any frost damage, but my roses are blooming!!!

20240326_180256.thumb.jpg.9c1f172192b571c4a35b1f6907b217ba.jpg

• Like 6

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

6 minutes ago, Everstorm said:

Yes, iirc you were planning to introduce the film to your son.  Did you?

The film is ready to be shown at the first opportunity (i.e. when there's nothing on that the kids want to see more).

Inigo Montoya may be just about the most quotable character in the history of film... 😁

giphy.gif

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Like 3

Active challenges: Spring Respawn: Winter Blues to Summer Bod | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

2023-24 threads: Challenge VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII

2018-19 & 2021 threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII

3 minutes ago, TimovieMan said:

The film is ready to be shown at the first opportunity (i.e. when there's nothing on that the kids want to see more).

Inigo Montoya may be just about the most quotable character in the history of film... 😁

giphy.gif

giphy-downsized-large.gif

I won't argue with you.  I have been eyeing this t-shirt for a while now

images.png.97f0da22bbdfb2a7d9b4e4aeaa273c24.png

• Like 2

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

23 hours ago, Sea-to-sky said:

The entire film is just a quote goldmine. 
image.gif.efc1fe16cb8d67661a2b6284142fe74f.gif

As You Wish Cary Elwes GIF by Disney+

...for an update, naturally. 

I ate alllllll the vegetables today.  All of them.  I made minestrone for lunch, so that's a double dose of beans, tomatoes, zucchini (courgette), spinach, and even the pasta had broccoli and kale in it!  For extra measure, I ate carrots with dinner (not even counting the marinara) and had roasted red peppers with my evening snack.

Sugar got minority fudged at an annoying 16g vs 15g, but I'm not too torn up about it.  15g was a sort of random number meant to not have to sweat the sugar in ketchup or whatever, but not really enough to have dessert every day.  I didn't have any sweets today, but I had 4 small dinner rolls over the course of the day at 4g of sugar each, so there you have it.

No swimming or GMB today, but I did take a nice afternoon walk.  I have a swim planned for tomorrow. 

Weekly painting for the Botanica Collective done:

20240327_183305.thumb.jpg.336350609b71baecf20445b5bd28f104.jpg

• Like 5
  • Wow 1
  • That's Metal 1

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

4 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Delicious painting. What's the Botanica collective?

It's an Instagram group thebotanica_collective that posts a weekly photo reference and anyone who wants to can interpret/render the photo however they like.  This one was week 39 and the vase by the door was week 38.  I just found them, so I've only done the 2 so far.

• Like 4

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

38 minutes ago, Everstorm said:

It's an Instagram group thebotanica_collective that posts a weekly photo reference and anyone who wants to can interpret/render the photo however they like.  This one was week 39 and the vase by the door was week 38.  I just found them, so I've only done the 2 so far.

Ooh, that is cool.will have to look them up

• Like 1

the creative spelling comes as standard. Enjoy! 
A journey of thousand miles, begins with a single step - Lao Tzu

Challenge: #1#2#3

20 hours ago, Everstorm said:

Cool!

• Like 1

I did, in fact, go to the pool and swam 1km.   That's 2/7 done.  I am thinking I need to get a lap counter because it's so easy to lose count.  I also need to get a chlorine-neutralizing soap, because no matter how much I wash, I smell like chlorine for 2 days after a swim.  🤢

Veggies were fine yesterday.  Sugar continues low, but not under 15g 🙄  I think I'm not going to worry about it until after spring break ends (April 8).  I want to enjoy this week.  Then, I can tighten up for the last 3 weeks of the challenge. 

I experimented some with pastels and gouache in my BuJo to see how they look on black paper.  The resulting sea snail is posted in Gastripod Art Club.  I really, really liked it.  Pastel pencils might be the way to go for me.  I just need to be more careful with the setting spray so I don't smudge my work 😬

We got Chinese takeout for lunch today, but I remembered to ask for a veggie stir-fry instead of noodles, so that goal is on track.

GMB Elements tomorrow should close out a relatively solid week 1.  I wonder if I should get up early to do it, since I have plans to go out with my mother and sister  tomorrow.   Or get it done this afternoon 🤔

• Like 7

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

13 hours ago, Everstorm said:

Sugar continues low, but not under 15g 🙄  I think I'm not going to worry about it until after spring break ends (April 8).  I want to enjoy this week.  Then, I can tighten up for the last 3 weeks of the challenge

It is difficult over easter (there is chocolate literally everywhere here) so go easy on yourself. 
Great to be back in the water again. Glad the thumb is doing well

• Like 2

the creative spelling comes as standard. Enjoy! 
A journey of thousand miles, begins with a single step - Lao Tzu

Challenge: #1#2#3

On 3/29/2024 at 6:14 PM, Everstorm said:

I smell like chlorine for 2 days after a swim

This is the primary smell I associate with my childhood...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Level 37 Rogue Ranger, 2024 ROADMAP

Welcome to the Dungeons of Doom; locate the Amulet of Yendor ♀ on Level 26

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 45, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 1415, 16, 17, 18, 1920, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41

On 3/29/2024 at 3:12 PM, Elastigirl said:

Yay for all  the wins!

Thanks!

On 3/30/2024 at 4:07 AM, Sea-to-sky said:

It is difficult over easter (there is chocolate literally everywhere here) so go easy on yourself. 
Great to be back in the water again. Glad the thumb is doing well

Yes!  Soooo many sweets rn.

It definitely feels good to be swimming again!

11 hours ago, Silmarilliane said:

This is the primary smell I associate with my childhood...

Sounds like a great childhood!

Crazy busy weekend.  On Saturday I got up early and did my GMB workout as promised before I went to my favorite garden center (45 minutes away) with Mom and Sister, bought a ton of plants and joined them for lunch, followed by Starbucks iced coffees for dessert.  I came home and started baking for family dinner on Sunday.  Baked more on Sunday morning, tidied up the house, planted some (but not all) the plants I got Sarurday, then drove to my parents' house for dinner.

Today, I was exhausted, slightly DOMSy, and 100% peopled out.  Fortunately, it's Spring Break, so I am off all week.  I stayed in pajamas, re-read A Deadly Education, and otherwise did absolutely nothing until mid-afternoon.  I went out to sow seeds in the garden and plant a few more flowers.  (Still have 4 remaining to plant tomorrow).  Came in, showered, and got back in pajamas 😂

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 3

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Sounds like a great weekend. We are still pretty cold at night here, so I'm trying to hold off on planting

• Like 2

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27