Forums are back in action! ×

Rise Above (the Pull-Up Bar!)

I'm in! And (machine) assisted pull ups are the same thing as band assisted pull ups in my mind.

• Like 1

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

Battle Log: Operation Fly-By-Night

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman

17 hours ago, Rhovaniel said:

3. Negative Pull-up

4. Band Assisted Pull-Up

How about negative chin-up and assisted chin-up?

1 hour ago, Rhovaniel said:

Now, part of me is inclined to say no, machines don't count (we ARE machines!). But I'll open it up to everyone: Would you prefer they counted towards the points or not?

Assisted is assisted... I'm fine with counting machine assisted pull-ups (and chin-ups)

• Like 1

Now, part of me is inclined to say no, machines don't count (we ARE machines!). But I'll open it up to everyone: Would you prefer they counted towards the points or not?

By that logic we are also rubber bands ;) 

I'm asking because it might affect how I structure my workout tomorrow. Since other assistance exercises don't count but I will be doing high volume pulling work either way. 

• Like 1

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

2 hours ago, Tobbe said:

Is it really that much easier to do a chin-up compared to a pull-up? I'll try chin-ups next time!

2 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

I can't actually do chin ups at all but I can do pull ups (that's a mobility issue in one of my arms) but you really should try different grip stances and grip widths. It feels like a much stronger stance when I'm using a neutral grip compared to an overhand grip, for instance. So it is certainly worth trying to see if you are able to get some. Just beware you can get really good at doing them one way and still not be able to do them another. That is because there is a skill element with pull ups as well as the strength element. 

I always train pullups and never chinups, and I think because of that I find them both about the same difficulty.

2 hours ago, Rhovaniel said:

2 hours ago, Rhovaniel said:

@Charlie_QuinnY

I'd allow machine assisted - it's basically the same movement.

Also hi, I'm in for this!

• Like 1

Level 21 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 18  -  CON: 22  -  CHA: 11  -  SAN: 19  -  INT: 17

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Jarric: The 'C' Team

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map - 2022 road map/wrap-up

52 minutes ago, TimovieMan said:

^ Since I weigh more than Jon, I agree with Jon™. :D

You only just weigh more than me ;) I'm also going to gently point out that I was able to do pullups when I was 110kg too. I find it quite amusing to do pull ups when I'm at the gym because I don't look like someone who should be able to do them. I do draw some looks.

• Like 2

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

Did 3 30 second holds for 3 points. Tomorrow I'm hoping to get some actual pull up points on the board. I'm trying to keep the pull ups to days I'm doing  shoulder training, and give my body actual rests.

Just noticed it's actually 1 pt, for every 10 seconds. That means I earned 9 points!

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

23 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

I'm trying to keep the pull ups to days I'm doing  shoulder training, and give my body actual rests.

What's the general thoughts about rest here? I really want to get to that first pull-up/chin-up during this challenge. 

Is it most beneficial to train every day, or should I try to rest every other day? How much should I train on training days?

For simplicity we can assume all my training will consist of negatives (unless someone has a better idea) 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Tobbe said:

What's the general thoughts about rest here? I really want to get to that first pull-up/chin-up during this challenge. 

Is it most beneficial to train every day, or should I try to rest every other day? How much should I train on training days?

For simplicity we can assume all my training will consist of negatives (unless someone has a better idea) 

Negatives can be hard on the joints. So, pay attention to that. If your elbows start feeling sore, or your shoulder is sore more than just DOMS, back off. I'd say listen to your body. If you do it every day, I'd do it in short burst, a few at a time, always under your max limit. Or If you do it every day, do bigger sets and go closer to your max. When I was going for my first pull up, doing it Grease the Groove style (small sets throughout the day) were what worked best. I did negatives, and half pulls, and standing on a chair reps.

I said I was going to do them every other day, but I feel the pull (ha) to do them more GTG style, so I may do them more frequently.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

6 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

Negatives can be hard on the joints. So, pay attention to that. If your elbows start feeling sore, or your shoulder is sore more than just DOMS, back off. I'd say listen to your body. If you do it every day, I'd do it in short burst, a few at a time, always under your max limit. Or If you do it every day, do bigger sets and go closer to your max. When I was going for my first pull up, doing it Grease the Groove style (small sets throughout the day) were what worked best. I did negatives, and half pulls, and standing on a chair reps.

Thanks for the advice

6 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

but I feel the pull (ha)

Rolling on the Floor Laughing

• Like 2

I tried to do a jumping chin-up. Only got to my nose. No points.

Then I tried a negative pull-up. Immediately dropped 10-15 cm. No points.

Then I tried a negative pull-up with neutral grip. Immediately dropped 10-15 cm as well. Again, no points.

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095bfdbedd4863657863

Then I tried a negative chin-up and that worked! I don't think I would have been able to maintain a flex arm hold for long, so I didn't try for more than the two-three seconds I needed at the top of the chin-up before starting the negative. I finished the negative chin-up with 20 seconds of deadhang. That's 12 points!

I then went for the other grips, 40 seconds of wide overhand grip and 30 seconds of neutral grip. That's another 7 points.

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095bfdbdde73534a5977

Will probably try again before going to bed.

• Like 5

TimovieMan: funnier than you think he is; not as funny as he thinks he is...

Active challenges: Don't log, remain sensible | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

Old threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII

11 minutes ago, TimovieMan said:

I tried to do a jumping chin-up. Only got to my nose. No points.

Then I tried a negative pull-up. Immediately dropped 10-15 cm. No points.

Then I tried a negative pull-up with neutral grip. Immediately dropped 10-15 cm as well. Again, no points.

11 minutes ago, TimovieMan said:

Then I tried a negative chin-up and that worked!

Yay for not giving up! Well done!

• Like 2

Did my pull workout this morning which included multiple sets of various kinds of pullups (L-Sit, Archer, Commando, Behind the Head, etc.) but I only counted the ones that involved pulling from a straight arm hang position to a chin above the bar position.  I don't know if I am going to get any more pullups again until week 3, though.

HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

I'm loving that we're on the second page already! 

Anyway, regarding exercises. I'll allow machine assisted, because I did open that to the floor and the general consensus seems to be yes for that. So a machine assisted rep earns 10 points. And a negative or assisted chin up is fine. Each one will also earn 10 points. 

However, these will be the only amendments made, because one of the major things I had in mind with this challenge was simplicity and clear criteria for what counts and what doesn't. It's why I put this line into my original post:

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 9:42 PM, Rhovaniel said:

- For the sake of simplicity and to avoid confusion, ONLY THESE EXERCISES COUNT as a 10 point/rep:

It has nothing to do with the validity of any other exercises proposed, just that I don't want what counts to be changing throughout the challenge. 

Hope this is okay with everyone!

• Like 2

“All You Have To Decide Is What To Do With The Time That Is Given To You.” - Gandalf

Journey to the Mountain of Knowledge - Chapter One: A Pocketful of hope (current challenge)

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|2728 29|30 A Bold New Year   Rhovaniel forges herself anew 

The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Dúnedain Ranger: Vol I, Vol IIVol III, Interim| Vol IV|Vol V 

Hope this is okay with everyone!

giphy.gif

Well, that's 610 points this morning. High volume periodization FTW. Mostly assisted pullups for volume but 5 sets of full pullups for strength too. Rather like @WhiteGhost I'm only doing one big pull workout a week so this is the vast majority of the points I'll get until next Wednesday. Some reps will happen Friday to balance out the OHP work I'm doing but nothing at this volume. 

• Like 3

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

50 points to me yesterday for 5 standing pull-ups. Did these GtG throughout the day. 

• Like 3

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

12 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

Will probably try again before going to bed.

Well, I did.

Flex arm hold (chin-up grip) for 10 seconds, followed by a negative chin-up, followed by 20 seconds of deadhang for 13 points.

And then I did some more deadhangs, 30 seconds with a wide overhand grip, and 20 seconds with a neutral grip for another 5 points.

Will try to make this a daily routine. Add it to my 10-minute "right before bed" mini-workout. :P

• Like 4

Active challenges: Don't log, remain sensible | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

Old threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII

How are everyone's abs and shoulders today? Day one of my new pull-up workout programme yesterday and today I couldn't even bring myself to hang off the bar. Ouchie DOMS!

• Like 1

“All You Have To Decide Is What To Do With The Time That Is Given To You.” - Gandalf

Journey to the Mountain of Knowledge - Chapter One: A Pocketful of hope (current challenge)

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|2728 29|30 A Bold New Year   Rhovaniel forges herself anew 

The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Dúnedain Ranger: Vol I, Vol IIVol III, Interim| Vol IV|Vol V 

21 minutes ago, Rhovaniel said:

How are everyone's abs and shoulders today? Day one of my new pull-up workout programme yesterday and today I couldn't even bring myself to hang off the bar. Ouchie DOMS!

I'd done some extra abs work yesterday and I immediately noticed how hard I'd worked them on the bar. I started trembling 20 seconds in during a front plank. That usually only happens after 50 seconds. Still finished all my sets, and I'm relatively DOMS free today. Will probably be worse tomorrow.

Still decided to take an off day today, though. :angel: 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Rhovaniel said:

Yeah, I took the day off :D Usually day two is worse though, so we'll see how my scheduled regular workout goes :D 

• Like 2

3 sets of 7 assisted pull-ups at the gym yesterday for 210 points, plus 4 points from randomly hanging from the bar when I wandered by.

• Like 3

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

Battle Log: Operation Fly-By-Night

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman