Week 1, Wednesday

Forest Encounters - gym cardio workout (+10 xp) for a ranged attack. 18 to hit and 10 points of damage, (+25 xp) for killing the snake.

Another arrow killed the second flying snake in one shot. Hal finished filling her canteen and turned to head back to camp.

Exploration - N/A

Clearing the Safe House - I rolled scrub the kitchen floor, but that's not happening tonight, so I rolled again and got computer room floor. I killed all the giant wolf spiders and the next thing I rolled up was 3 poisonous snakes. 9 to hit, misses.

Hal spotted several poisonous snakes coiled up next to the doorway. She stabbed at one of them, but it darted out of the way.

Fletching/Songs/Short Rest - Blackberries, I get 2 arrow attempts today. Dex checks of 23 and 18 is two successes (Feathers 25). Practiced songs. Candles and teeth for a short rest.

Moving a little more quickly, Hal created another two good arrows.

• Like 3

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27, #28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35Current

Walk to Mordor: 2019, 2020, 2021202220232024

Adventures: Adventurers Wanted: A West-Marches Campaign

7 hours ago, Ranger Hal said:

Week 1, Wednesday

Forest Encounters - gym cardio workout (+10 xp) for a ranged attack. 18 to hit and 10 points of damage, (+25 xp) for killing the snake.

Another arrow killed the second flying snake in one shot. Hal finished filling her canteen and turned to head back to camp.

Exploration - N/A

Clearing the Safe House - I rolled scrub the kitchen floor, but that's not happening tonight, so I rolled again and got computer room floor. I killed all the giant wolf spiders and the next thing I rolled up was 3 poisonous snakes. 9 to hit, misses.

Hal spotted several poisonous snakes coiled up next to the doorway. She stabbed at one of them, but it darted out of the way.

Fletching/Songs/Short Rest - Blackberries, I get 2 arrow attempts today. Dex checks of 23 and 18 is two successes (Feathers 25). Practiced songs. Candles and teeth for a short rest.

Moving a little more quickly, Hal created another two good arrows.

Woo hoo for blackberries and gym, and for snake-killing heroics. :) 

• Like 1

&Heidi

West-Marches Campaign Herb-Gatherer

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid  Level 12 Philosopher and level 11 Librarian (built on the Monk class, with a training path in The Way of the Cobalt Soul)

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | :: 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 |

Shaman: 82 | 83 | 84

Philosopher-Librarian 85 |:: 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

On 10/21/2024 at 1:52 AM, Ranger Hal said:

and another part of me that wants to procrastinate until it's too late for it to work. 

This is exactly the sort of thing I would do.

16 hours ago, Radost said:

Love your storytelling and it seems like you have a fun setup to gamify chores. 

Agreed. Hal, your storytelling and gamification inspired me to recraft mine, and thank you. It's fun to play along :) 

I know you mentioned that you're not doing well right now. I hope you are finding some peace and that you are sleeping better. These are difficult times. ❤️ 

• Thanks 1

&Heidi

West-Marches Campaign Herb-Gatherer

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid  Level 12 Philosopher and level 11 Librarian (built on the Monk class, with a training path in The Way of the Cobalt Soul)

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | :: 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 |

Shaman: 82 | 83 | 84

Philosopher-Librarian 85 |:: 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

More CritRole chat

Spoiler

I'm not sure how I feel about them losing the Bag of Holding. On the one hand, it's in character for the NPCs to lift it, and they did plainly show the Tomb Takers that what they wanted was in the bag. On the other hand, divesting your party of a whole bunch of their stuff is generally frowned upon. That being said, I can't remember anything super cool/unique they had in there that they lost access to.

You're almost caught up with me, time for me to get a move on!

• Like 1

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

1 hour ago, Heidi said:

This is exactly the sort of thing I would do.

Aaaaand I've pretty much done it at this point. I could potentially post a hike today, but I doubt that will happen.

1 hour ago, Heidi said:

Agreed. Hal, your storytelling and gamification inspired me to recraft mine, and thank you. It's fun to play along :) 

I'm glad we're both having fun!

54 minutes ago, Artemis Prime said:

More CritRole chat

Hide contents

I'm not sure how I feel about them losing the Bag of Holding. On the one hand, it's in character for the NPCs to lift it, and they did plainly show the Tomb Takers that what they wanted was in the bag. On the other hand, divesting your party of a whole bunch of their stuff is generally frowned upon. That being said, I can't remember anything super cool/unique they had in there that they lost access to.

Spoiler

That's an interesting point about it being frowned upon to divest your party of a bunch of their stuff. Not having played more than a couple of short one-shots, I don't always pick up on that sort of thing. I guess for me, it comes back to discussions I saw around the times when Fjord lost his warlock powers because Uk'otoa was mad at him and one of the big points there was that there's a super high level of trust at this table. Things that normally might cause problems are okay at this table because the players trust Matt that it will make a good story. Even if they're terrified and panicked in the moment, they're all in to see where this leads.

I've been skimming through some of the old Reddit threads for each episode (super interesting to see what people pick up on based on their general background from playing DnD that I don't have) and the major item in the bag that people noticed (besides the amber with the threshold crest and Vess DeRogna's body) was the Cloven Crystal. If they don't recover that, it could potentially lead to all kinds of fun with Uk'otoa in the future.

1 hour ago, Artemis Prime said:

You're almost caught up with me, time for me to get a move on!

Soooo, if I'm calculating correctly, I've watched not quite 6 years of content in around 19 months which is a bit ridiculous. Please don't feel obligated to try to match my insanity.

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27, #28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35Current

Walk to Mordor: 2019, 2020, 2021202220232024

Adventures: Adventurers Wanted: A West-Marches Campaign

17 minutes ago, Ranger Hal said:
Spoiler

That's an interesting point about it being frowned upon to divest your party of a bunch of their stuff. Not having played more than a couple of short one-shots, I don't always pick up on that sort of thing. I guess for me, it comes back to discussions I saw around the times when Fjord lost his warlock powers because Uk'otoa was mad at him and one of the big points there was that there's a super high level of trust at this table. Things that normally might cause problems are okay at this table because the players trust Matt that it will make a good story. Even if they're terrified and panicked in the moment, they're all in to see where this leads.

Spoiler

It definitely varies from table to table, and you're right that this particular table has an insanely high level of trust. There's also the fact that they are streaming a very successful show, so it's not just about what's the most fun for them, it's also about creating a good experience for the audience. Another important thing in general is not violating player agency. So in the case of Fjord losing his powers, he didn't just wake up without them, he was consciously choosing to not do what his patron wanted, and it only makes sense that there would be consequences for that. Losing the Bag of Holding was a little closer to that line for me. Like I said, they did show the Tomb Takers they were keeping the crest in the bag, and Matt did roll a stealth check, it's not like he just privately ruled that they were successful. But I might have given Travis a chance to roll instead of just going off his passive perception, even though he wasn't actively watching for it, just to make sure my players felt like they had a fair shot. I wouldn't say Matt did it wrong at his table, but I'd probably handle it differently. Because all these things are highly subjective and context-specific.

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf