Forums are back in action! ×

Battle Kitten: Ascension

4 hours ago, fleaball said:

Is there anyone I'm not following this round? Or is everyone just being super fucking quiet online/busy in real life? I feel like I'm missing someone and my notifications are dead. 

I'm not usually on too much over the weekend. I try to play, "no internet" weekends - it's awesome. 

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

I'm not usually on too much over the weekend. I try to play, "no internet" weekends - it's awesome. 

Maybe it was just everyone being gone for the weekend then. Which is not a new thing, so idk why it felt weird. Oh well.

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

I thought the forum was unusually quiet this weekend too. I guess people had plans. I had too, to lazy about at home with easy access to the internet. Lol

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

I still have no internet... On the PCOS thing I have it / had it since I have no 'junk in my trunk' I guess I don't really have it anymore...but still have to deal with all the lovely little side effects that come along with it... but yeah it's true, a lot of times they won't do anything for it except for maybe stick you on the pill and tell you there's really nothing they can do for it

• Like 2

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: Life is not Always SET

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

1 hour ago, RES said:

I still have no internet... On the PCOS thing I have it / had it since I have no 'junk in my trunk' I guess I don't really have it anymore...but still have to deal with all the lovely little side effects that come along with it... but yeah it's true, a lot of times they won't do anything for it except for maybe stick you on the pill and tell you there's really nothing they can do for it

Booo get more internets. We miss you! <3 And blargh. That's obnoxious. I'll get a referral to a new gyn a week from today so hopefully I'll get some kind of answers. Probably "lol diet and exercise." :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

13 hours ago, fleaball said:

(It occurs to me as I write this that I could hurl terrible Spanish in @zenLara's direction as well, but I'd probably get caught up in "oh no is this Latin American Spanish or Spain Spanish I CANNOT WORDS?!")

:lol::lol::lol:

They're not that different! Throw everything you want to me! (except faeces please, let's keep the dialogue polite...)

• Like 4

Why you should always get up and shower ASAP instead of leaving it til the last minute: I have no hot water. D: And no time to fix it bc I have a dermatologist appointment to get something removed from my leg and then I'm going back to student health about the not-cyst thing. Speed shaving in cold water = terrible results. Sorry doctor people. 

• Like 3

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

31 minutes ago, Briniel said:

ugh, that sounds uncomfortable!! Why do all the things break right now!?

This one should be an easy fix. I didn't have time to check it but the pilot light on the water heater goes out a few times a year, according to our landlord. (I feel like that should be something you fix but okay.) It happened in March too. 

Also: eff German and its cases, man. It's not hard, I just forget what I'm doing. Maybe I should reset my progress and start over so I learn it again instead of guessing. >_>

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

2 minutes ago, fleaball said:

This one should be an easy fix. I didn't have time to check it but the pilot light on the water heater goes out a few times a year, according to our landlord. (I feel like that should be something you fix but okay.) It happened in March too. 

Also: eff German and its cases, man. It's not hard, I just forget what I'm doing. Maybe I should reset my progress and start over so I learn it again instead of guessing. >_>

your landlord is golden. hope that's what it is and you'll be able to fix it when you get home.

Hahaha, yes. I'm kinda glad that German is my native language, I would not want to learn it as a second language.

• Like 3

"The way you spend your days is the way you live your life"

Challenges: Current | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Man, now I want to start the Spanish track too. I took Spanish in school so every time I try to say something in French and don't know how, my brain keeps substituting Spanish. Whoops?

I'm following you both now. :) 

• Like 1

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 49

2022 challenges:  49 (current)

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

2 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

Man, now I want to start the Spanish track too. I took Spanish in school so every time I try to say something in French and don't know how, my brain keeps substituting Spanish. Whoops?

This is exactly how I get through Spanish. French words with the appropriate spelling/pronunciation tweaks (and sometimes crossed fingers). I mean I've learned a lot more Spanish at this point, but I totally pick it apart and try to roll with it if I can't remember something. /nerd

• Like 2

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

20 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

Ha! That happens to me too.  Or when someone is speaking a language I don't know, my brain automatically tries to translate it to, then reply in, Spanish. Stupid brain.

• Like 1

Level 19 Ravenclaw Rebel

"Every action you take is a vote for the type of person you wish to become." (James Clear, Atomic Habits)
COMPLETED CHALLENGES: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 13.5 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21/21

CURRENT CHALLENGE: AThousandWords casts a vote

Blergh. Anxiety has been on the high side for several weeks now. No major triggers but a lot of little things adding up. Grr argh. 

Got an email yesterday about an interview for the internship where my roommate works. The girl asked if I'd be available either in person or over the phone and I hope she wants to do a phone interview because I really don't want to go downtown or have to dress up or whatever. Blergh. Although I don't know if she even got my reply because their system likes to eat my stuff. Roommate forwarded it for me but we'll see what happens. I'm hella nervous because a) I don't want to bomb it and have it look bad on her for recommending me (which she said wouldn't happen but that doesn't mean anything to my brain) and b.) I'm bad at interviewing. Mostly in terms of "tell me why you're awesome." Lol nah. "Why do you want to work here?" usually throws me off as well because telling them how awesome their own organization is also feels stupid. Basically I am bad at interviewing because I don't see the point in half the questions. And it's not worth going to the career center at school for a mock interview because they're useless on all fronts. But hopefully if the system ate my email the girl will decide just to do a phone interview for the sake of time and I won't have to deal with standard interview bullshit tomorrow. (Also I really need to dye my hair again because not only has the gray grown in but the dye faded into like 4 different colors, which has never happened to me before? I am so not going back to that salon again.)

Spartan is in a month. Commence crying. And also praying that it's not this fucking hot at that point oh my god. As of right now the forecast for next week is *only* in the high 80s, so that will be a nice change and I might actually do stuff. Probably not running unless I start getting up super early? But even the overnight lows are only low 70s so running might still suck balls. Womp. 

I'm sitting through a really obnoxious webinar on applying for federal jobs. And by obnoxious I mean people are asking some really ridiculous questions and it's killing me listening to all of them. I'm staying in it on the off chance something relevant comes up but like, someone honestly just asked if they should be writing keywords in all caps on their resume??

In other news, I still haven't heard back from that gynecologist about the ultrasound and PCOS. Jesus Christ, lady. When I went to student health the other day I signed a release form for them to request the ultrasound report and then they'll give me a copy when I go next week to get referrals for shit. I hope the new guy I go see does bloodwork for it, because apparently it can fuck with insulin levels and such? That would be nice to know in terms of changing up my diet. Blargh. I strongly dislike have more questions about things than answers. Also I might wind up asking about genetic testing to see how fucked I am. That's going to be so much money. Rawr. My main concern though is if I find out I have one or more mutations of whatever genes and my risk of cancer skyrockets, how will it affect health insurance and whatever in the future. I've been researching it in a half-assed kind of way but I'll probably have to go see a genetic counselor or something and then ask them about it. Grr. 

Roommate is going on vacation until a week from tomorrow. Hooray wandering around in a sports bra without getting nervous that she'll walk in the door any minute. 

Okay I'm really just procrastinating now. There's Econ to be done and an interview to prepare for and half a dozen other things I need to do but don't want to. Onward.

• Like 4

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Yep, that's a lot of stuff to be stressing over. I don't think anyone enjoys interviews, and I can't say that I'm all that great at them either, but here's my $0.02 based on being on the other side of the desk:

1. Do your research on the company. I know, this is Interviewing 101 but you'd be amazed at how many people can't be bothered. Whenever I asked, "What do you know about us?" and the person clearly hadn't even looked at our website it was a massive strike against. When the person asking me for a job doesn't care, why should I?

If you can respond intelligently, you'll be miles ahead of those idjits. Bonus points if you can ask questions about the company and/or recent events: how has recent legislation affected whatever et cetera. Hint: This is usually what that "why do you want to work here" question is really getting at. They want to know that you care enough to do your research, and that you'll bring that thoroughness to the job.

2. Review the job posting's qualifications and plan ways to prove that you can do what they want. Nearly all interviews are behavior-based these days, otherwise known as the "tell me about a time when" questions. So if the job posting says "detail-oriented" think of things in your job/school/volunteer experience that showcases that quality. Also look for catch-phrases: if the description reads "socially diverse environment" you'd better be ready for questions about communicating with people from different backgrounds.

Your response should have a. the background (context), b. your actions c. what happened and d. what you learned from it. Hint: it's great if your stories have successful outcomes, but don't be afraid to discuss a time when things didn't work out, as long as you discuss what you learned and how you improved because of it. In fact, many interviewers will specifically ask about failed attempts, so that they know you are coachable and willing to hear criticism.

3. Don't forget that you are interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you. Ask about their corporate culture, orientation process, stuff specific to the company (just don't ask "how much vacation do i get" or "when do my benefits kick in?" until you get the job offer ;) ). Having questions ready when they inevitably ask "do you have any questions for us" puts you on more equal footing, and people respect that.

4. If anyone asks the stupid, stupid question "what is your biggest weakness," the correct answer is "Kryptonite."

Ok, just kidding on that last one. Good luck to you!

• Like 2

"'It's time for a few small repairs,' she said." - Shawn Colvin

Christ on a cracker. This is the message I just got from the gynecologist's office (but not the doctor herself):

Hello,
Your sonogram doesnt show any evidence of a cyst that would be causing your groin pain (which i had also discuss with you during the visit was a doubtful cause of the pain you was referring to) if you are still having issues with irregular cycles(> 35 days apart)this can be a sign of pcos and would recommned you come in to discuss this and draw lab work
if your menses are regular from 21-35 dyas apart then i am not concerned about pcos despite what the sono shows...

Write back if you have anymore questions.

Would it have killed you to take an extra ten seconds to spellcheck? 

@Bookish Badger thanks! Totally bookmarking that post for later. I can't believe people don't do their research. I mean, I'm not the most thorough person but I'll make sure to read their website and whatever pops up on google. But to go in with nothing? Ugh. Honestly I hope at some point I interview for a job where the person I'm talking to is cool enough that I can get away with saying kryptonite. Because that is so something I would say. But not to like, a very stern interviewer in their 60s wearing a pressed suit and whatever. 

• Like 5

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

This may sound totally obvious, but what helped me most in interviews was realizing they want you to succeed.  Whenever I interviewed I always felt like they were trying to trip me up or pick me apart; or like maybe they had an ideal candidate in mind and I could never measure up. When I started conducting interviews for my job a few years ago, I realized that I'm always rooting for the candidate (usually because it means I can interview fewer people...). I'm seriously willing to work with people if they seem like they're earnest and honest and have basic credentials for the job. For me it was just such a perspective shift from thinking the interviewer is out to get me.  

Anyway, hope that helps - but I'm sure you'll rock it no matter what happens!

• Like 4

Level 19 Ravenclaw Rebel

"Every action you take is a vote for the type of person you wish to become." (James Clear, Atomic Habits)
COMPLETED CHALLENGES: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 13.5 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21/21

CURRENT CHALLENGE: AThousandWords casts a vote

1 minute ago, athousandwords said:

This may sound totally obvious, but what helped me most in interviews was realizing they want you to succeed.  Whenever I interviewed I always felt like they were trying to trip me up or pick me apart; or like maybe they had an ideal candidate in mind and I could never measure up. When I started conducting interviews for my job a few years ago, I realized that I'm always rooting for the candidate (usually because it means I can interview fewer people...). I'm seriously willing to work with people if they seem like they're earnest and honest and have basic credentials for the job. For me it was just such a perspective shift from thinking the interviewer is out to get me.  

Not obvious, at least to my busted brain. Like you said, I go in expecting them to want me to fail. Which, yeah, makes zero sense, logically. I'll keep this in mind for the future too. 

I think with this particular interview the issue is more, I don't want to bomb it and have them go back to my roommate and be like "why the fuck did you waste our time telling us to interview her?" Which she's already assured me won't happen. And beyond that, realistically it shouldn't be that terrible? According to my roommate the internships are mostly shit admin work with a little bit of research thrown in. Plus I've already met the girl I'm interviewing with and she went to my school. So there's not a lot standing in my way? I'm not 100% interested in the work they do but there's enough overlap between my interests and experience that I can make it work. 

I still haven't heard back from her though. Which makes me nervous only because I don't want to have to scramble to get ready tomorrow or something if she suddenly wants me to come in. Mehhh. Off to bullshit more econ in the meantime.

• Like 4

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

1 hour ago, fleaball said:

Would it have killed you to take an extra ten seconds to spellcheck?

Medical professionals' handwriting has always been notoriously bad. Now we know we weren't missing anything.

43 minutes ago, fleaball said:

I don't want to bomb it and have them go back to my roommate...

Nah, even if you did bomb (in some alternate universe, not this one because obviously you'll rock it), they wouldn't give your roommate a hard time. The hiring managers know that the recommender is favorably biased. Which is not a bad thing because it means that the recommender is willing to work with the person in question (I mean, seriously, we all know people that we like but would strangle if we had to spend 8+ hours a day in the same proximity).

• Like 3

"'It's time for a few small repairs,' she said." - Shawn Colvin

Rawrrr it's nearly 7pm and I haven't gotten a reply about the interview. I'm tempted to email her from another address to see if it goes through, and/or call her in the morning, but I don't want to be obnoxious about it either. ._. I totally should have done so earlier but I was actually absorbed in econ homework for once and totally lost track of time. ugh. 

I got takeout earlier and I feel like death. I really need to start grocery shopping regularly and stop torturing myself with this shit. 

• Like 2

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

>_> Roommate never got the forwarded email. (And didn't tell me?) I don't understand how or why my messages literally never get through their system. I had the same issue when I was trying to interview one of her other coworkers in February. Rage. Still hoping this means phone interview tomorrow instead of in person, but I guess I'm getting up early so I can be prepared regardless. Fuck. 

• Like 2

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

1 hour ago, fleaball said:

>_> Roommate never got the forwarded email. (And didn't tell me?) I don't understand how or why my messages literally never get through their system. I had the same issue when I was trying to interview one of her other coworkers in February. Rage. Still hoping this means phone interview tomorrow instead of in person, but I guess I'm getting up early so I can be prepared regardless. Fuck. 

You can do this Cat, I hate interviews as well, but have had the best luck if I tell myself: "Be yourself, not who you think they want, breath deeply before answering/asking a question, and relax." I know this is easier said than done, but confidence in oneself is a highly sort after commodity. 

• Like 2

Race: Halfling     Class: Rebel

Recruit 1st 2nd 3rd 4th  5th 6th  7th  8th 9th 10th  11th 12th 13th  14th  15th

Current Challenge

Writer's Guild

Fictionfirst Used Books (Feel free to like my page!)

7 hours ago, athousandwords said:

Ha yeah this is a really good point actually, totally gonna try and remember this next time I need to find a job! (which means I should definitely write it down somewhere because my memory is the worst lol) But seriously, you'll be fine - better than, even. We believe in you even if your brain doesn't! Good luck with the early start.

That email from the gynaecologist though... wtf?! Badly written and also just rude? I would not be trusting my health to that woman, ugh. Hope it all gets sorted soon and you get some proper answers!

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, Owlet said:

Oi why are you still awake and liking stuff Flea? Go to sleep! lol

It's only 11:15pm! I should probably go to bed anyway but I'm reading through the website in case this interview still happens. 

Since I wasn't clear earlier: the interview never actually got scheduled. She emailed me Wednesday asking if I was available "this week" but my reply never got to her. So my biggest concern now isn't the content of the interview but whether or not it's even still a possibility or if it's too late now. (I have no idea how my actual application got through and nothing else did.) This is also why I'm hoping we can do a phone interview, because I really don't want to wake up tomorrow to an email or phone call asking "great, when can you come in?" Ugh. 

• Like 2

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi