Forums are back in action! ×

9 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

4/2/17 Sunday

I've been beating my self up about this all day.  We shouldn't have flipped the car or carried her out. It all could have waited a few minutes for the firefighters. She hit her head hard enough to get knocked out, she didn't need her head to be bounced around the car again.  The thing is, in the heat of the moment we were all reacting instead of thinking, we all wanted to do something, and when someone yelled out something that sounded reasonable everyone wanted to jump in and do it.  I wish I had had the presence of mind to think and say something. 

My friend, I hope you are done beating yourself up over this. You and those around you were acting in what you believed to be the best interest of the person you were trying to help. You don't know what would have happened to her if you hadn't acted and I'm glad you didn't find out.

• Like 3

Rebel Scum Current Challenge

9 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Wow, @Sloth the Enduring I'm so glad you weren't hit! Hope the hand heals fast and you don't have too much bruising.

You did the best you could under the circumstances and even thought to switch off the car! Yes, it might have been better to leave her and the situation as is (concussion and possible neck/spine injuries), then just to keep her calm until the fire fighters came, but you were all scared for her, especially because the car flipped. Fluids were already leaking out of the engine and you didn't want to take a chance with her life where something maybe ignited. It shows you care for the people around you, and you were brave enough to help, even though you were surely in shock as well?! Hind sight is always 20/20. Don't get stuck on that. You helped when it came to it. You're a real life hero :love_heart:

Hah.  Don't let me get a big head.  Thanks. I actually don't bruise unless the hit is really hard. My hand is a bit tender and sore today. 

7 hours ago, deftona said:

I agree with Elize, you assessed the situation and did what you thought was best. When you acted, you had no idea how long it would take for the emergency services to get on the scene - if they had taken longer would still you be kicking yourself for the action you took? It sounds the lady's situation wasn't made worse and you all acted with her best interests at heart. Well done for stepping in and doing the right thing, don't overthink this.

Yes, I tend to overthink. Thanks.  

3 hours ago, Yasha92 said:

I was recently at a remote First Aid course, the first step, reiterated again and again is "Danger", important first to remove the person from danger- in this case a running car with unknown fluids leaking out. Don't let the brain goblins convince you that you did wrong, concussions can get better, burnt to a crisp can't.

Good job you, and I'm glad it wasn't your vehicle that got damaged. Make sure to debrief with a professional if at all possible, witnessing can be almost as traumatic.

Thanks.  My vehicle was a bike.  If it got damaged I'd be damaged. 

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

If you had waited a few minutes the leaking fluids from the engine might have made things a lot worse. Preventing a car fire is more important than not flipping the car in this instance. Also, had you not shut off the engine, she might very well have had to deal with carbon monoxide poisioning on top of everything else.

As a bonus, the image of you busting out a window with a kettlebell is incredibly badass.

Hah.  I used my little, pink kettlebell. Maybe I'll have to upgrade it's name from Pinky. 

50 minutes ago, EricMN said:

My friend, I hope you are done beating yourself up over this. You and those around you were acting in what you believed to be the best interest of the person you were trying to help. You don't know what would have happened to her if you hadn't acted and I'm glad you didn't find out.

Thanks.  Yes, all y'all's comments helped put things in perspective. I was remembering my concussion last summer and how hard that was.  

• Like 5

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

As a bonus, the image of you busting out a window with a kettlebell is incredibly badass.

Functional fitness right here!!

How fast was she going to tip that badly??  Oof.  Glad everything turned out all right - everyone else is spot on, you acted in your best interest with the situation at hand and took care of business.  I'm sure there would have been a lot of people that wouldn't have done anything, whether it be because of anxiety or just indifference, but you jumped right into the fray and that is commendable. :)  WITNEEEESSSSS

• Like 4

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

HOLY MOSES!

you did the best you could in a crazy situation. I'm so proud of you for jumping into the fray and helping. 

• Like 2

the year of living trippily

Final Boss, Part 2    Boss, Part 1  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

On 3/28/2017 at 8:41 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

The missus is embarrassed when I walk the dog shirtless. 

Are you pulling a tire behind you at the same time? The shirtlessness might not be the only issue.

-----------------

Woah!!! Just got to the car-flipping kettlebell story. Armchair quarterbacking aside, I'm SO IMPRESSED that you got involved and took action. I have no idea whether that was the best possible action or not, but trying to help is so much better than being afraid to act.

Probably the most impressive use of a kettlebell I've ever read.

• Like 4

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

I thought you were on a bike, then the kettle bell bit confused me, I wouldn't think of transporting a kettle bell on my bike so I got confuzzled... as it was your bike I'm even gladder it wasn't you she dinged!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

First, I'm glad you weren't seriously hurt and hopefully the hand won't give you too much trouble.

Second, you done good. Real good! You didn't stand around waiting for someone else to do something. You didn't wilt from the situation and helped someone rather than coming up with reasons not to or letting fear paralyze you.

Third, I gotta agree with @Tanktimus the Encourager, busting out the car window with a KB (that you were taking to class on your bike no less) is pretty bad ass.

• Like 5

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

Just now, Sloth the Enduring said:

Hey guys. Today I started training for the hammer race. It's never too late right?

That's a whole 4 days of training.  That's plenty of time.  Especially for a KB yielding bad-ass as yourself.  

• Like 4

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

Glad you weren't injured. Sometimes you just have to go with your instincts. I now think I should carry my kettlebell with me wherever I go, just in case I need it for some emergency:)

• Like 4

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

On April 3, 2017 at 10:29 AM, shaar said:

Functional fitness right here!!

How fast was she going to tip that badly??  Oof.  Glad everything turned out all right - everyone else is spot on, you acted in your best interest with the situation at hand and took care of business.  I'm sure there would have been a lot of people that wouldn't have done anything, whether it be because of anxiety or just indifference, but you jumped right into the fray and that is commendable.   WITNEEEESSSSS

I've been witnessed! I'm the man who grabs the sun riding to Valhalla!

she was probably doing 30-35, nothing out of line, but she didn't slow down and she had one of those little, top-heavy SUVs. 

Everyone there jumped in.  Minneapolis isn't a bystander city.  

On April 3, 2017 at 10:31 AM, DJtrippyT said:

HOLY MOSES!

you did the best you could in a crazy situation. I'm so proud of you for jumping into the fray and helping. 

Thansk.  

On April 3, 2017 at 8:08 PM, Xena said:

Are you pulling a tire behind you at the same time? The shirtlessness might not be the only issue.

-----------------

Woah!!! Just got to the car-flipping kettlebell story. Armchair quarterbacking aside, I'm SO IMPRESSED that you got involved and took action. I have no idea whether that was the best possible action or not, but trying to help is so much better than being afraid to act.

Probably the most impressive use of a kettlebell I've ever read.

There are a lot of issues at play here. Hard to say which one is the straw that breaks the camel's back. 

Thanks. 

15 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

To Little Hero? You being the big hero

Haha.

14 hours ago, Yasha92 said:

I thought you were on a bike, then the kettle bell bit confused me, I wouldn't think of transporting a kettle bell on my bike so I got confuzzled... as it was your bike I'm even gladder it wasn't you she dinged!

My grocery getter looks like this, I can tote 150# (70 kg) in the box easily:

DSC05210-e1320430925723.jpg

6 hours ago, jstanlick said:

First, I'm glad you weren't seriously hurt and hopefully the hand won't give you too much trouble.

Second, you done good. Real good! You didn't stand around waiting for someone else to do something. You didn't wilt from the situation and helped someone rather than coming up with reasons not to or letting fear paralyze you.

Third, I gotta agree with @Tanktimus the Encourager, busting out the car window with a KB (that you were taking to class on your bike no less) is pretty bad ass.

Thanks. Really though, most people would have jumped in.  I know everyone who stops by this little corner of the Internet would have jumped in too.  Y'all are doers. 

4 hours ago, LadyShello said:

That's a whole 4 days of training.  That's plenty of time.  Especially for a KB yielding bad-ass as yourself.  

I'm going to rely on my base of dad-strong.  Today was just about getting the joints used to jogging and bashing stuff. 

3 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Glad you weren't injured. Sometimes you just have to go with your instincts. I now think I should carry my kettlebell with me wherever I go, just in case I need it for some emergency

Thanks.  I'm confused though, I thought you did carry your kettlebell around everywhere.  Farmer's walk style. You know, just in case you needed to bust out a swing sandwich.  

• Like 5

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

4/3/17 - Monday, Spring Break

An uneventful day.  I woke up with a bad back.  My back is always grumbly, but it hasn't been bad like this in a long time. We spent almost the whole day at the zoo.  The walking helped it. 

Training: DDPYoga Energy to loosen up the back, nothing strenuous. 

Eating: I ate about a whole loaf of bread, apparently that's too much for my system.

Spnding: None, I forgot to get beer until it was too late. Accts balanced. 

4/4/17 - Tuesday

I spent today lazing about doing mostly nothing.  I spent the morning regretting eating too much bread.  I donated platelets in the late afternoon which took up my whole evening. Mrs. Sloth went to the caucus.  I guess it was crazy. 

Training: 5X10/10 KB swings, 20X10 tire smacks with sledgehammer.  Tire smacking is a good cardio workout. Jogged around the block (started too late because lazing).

Eating: on point, no bread today, but some tortillas and a beer. 

Spending: street tacos, beer and cider.  I went to a different bottle shop.  I saw a boutique cider (Scrumpy's) I've wanted to try and the Belgium beer (Duvel) that I wanted, but they were over-priced.  I bought them anyway.  I ordered my tacos in Spanish.  The taco guy smirked at me, but gave me the 25cent discount he gives Latino folks. I saved 2$. :). Which I put in the tip jar anyway. I didn't check accounts, but they shouldn't have changed. 

• Like 9

I ordered my tacos in Spanish.  The taco guy smirked at me, but gave me the 25cent discount he gives Latino folks. I saved 2$. [emoji4]. Which I put in the tip jar anyway.

Something about this anecdote is deeply satisfying. At the very least, it's put a smile on my face on a Wednesday morning.

Glad to hear you're getting some training in for the race - no such thing as too late. Smash those things! Do the running!

• Like 1

Race: Wood Elf

Level 20

Class: Ranger

Strength: 45 | Dexterity: 15 | Stamina: 44 | Constitution: 29 | Wisdom: 35 | Charisma: 28

BATTLE LOG   EPIC QUEST  CHALLENGE

On 4/2/2017 at 11:34 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

4/2/17 Sunday

Today I was going to kettleball with TML. I put my kettlebells in the cargo bike to ride the 3 miles instead of firing up the war rig. About half-way there, right in front of my favorite overly-expensive bike/coffee shop I was tied up with an emergency. 

......Sloth is a frigging super hero...

By the time I finished giving my statement to the police it was kind of late to get to TML's kettlebell practice. Truthfully I wasn't in the mood at that point.

For the record, the message I got says "Sorry I missed it. I witnessed a car accident and it too a long time to get out of there"

Not "I helped roll a car, busted a window with a kettlebell and just generally kicked ass all morning"

• Like 10

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

On April 5, 2017 at 7:44 AM, Fonzico said:

Something about this anecdote is deeply satisfying. At the very least, it's put a smile on my face on a Wednesday morning.

Glad to hear you're getting some training in for the race - no such thing as too late. Smash those things! Do the running!

Thanks. Sadly, that was the last day I practiced the few words of Spanish I know. 

On April 5, 2017 at 7:59 AM, The Most Loathed said:

For the record, the message I got says "Sorry I missed it. I witnessed a car accident and it too a long time to get out of there"

That conveys the gist of it.

• Like 1

Oh jeez, I'm not even sure what I did this week.  I spent all of spring break doing nothing.  We lazed around in bed until 9:00 each day.  The kids and the dogs all piled in with us after they woke up.  It was nice. Afterwards we did some kind of kid activity which went much longer than planned song up my biking time. I didn't ride my bike as planned, but I don't regret it.  The kids had a great break without us spending much money and I needed the mental break. 

Let's see if I can be specific...

4/5/17 Wednsday. 

We spent all day at the science museum.  Afterward we went to a Chinese buffet.  There's not a whole lot there I can eat anymore so I loaded up at the Teppanyaki/Mongolian grill. 

Training: DDP Yoga

Eating: on point, but too much.

Spending: Dinner out.  Accts not balanced. 

4/6/17 Thursday

We spent a big chunk of the day walking around by the river going up and down the bluffs. The kids had a great time.  They "discovered" and old abandoned stone ruin and started climbing around it until I noticed the ground was littered with condoms. It didn't look like a very comfortable place to have have fun, you just know someone ended up with broken glass in their backside. In the evening Mrs Sloth and I went to see the Psychodelic Furs. I first saw them 30 years ago.  It was pretty much the same show. It was fun though. 

Training: KB Swings and Sledgehammer smacking. 

Eating: No.  

Spending: train tickets, jimmy john's sandwiches, two beers. Accts not balanced. 

4/7/17 Friday

today we didn't do anything except have a picnic at a park/playground. I spent the morning at school getting ready for next week.  We got our taxes together, which took all day, and got them finished. We went out to dinner at a restaurant that was donating proceeds to Somali drought victims. We gorged ourselves in support of starving people. There's a disconnect there somewhere.

I retaped my hammer for tomorrow's race.  I normally don't mess with my equipment right before a race, but the tape started coming off during the last tire smacking workout. 

Training: no.  I meant to do Yoga cause my back's being a bitch, but at this point I'm tired and cranky and am going to bed. 

Eating: on point, but too much.  I put some weight on this week. 

Spending: Dinner out. Accts not balanced. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I retaped my hammer for tomorrow's race.  I normally don't mess with my equipment right before a race, but the tape started coming off during the last tire smacking workout. 

Get after it tomorrow, my friend. I'm annoyed I won't be there. There's going to be a good dozen of my people in green, I expect to see you in some if the pictures...

• Like 1

Rebel Scum Current Challenge

Your spring break sounds just like what the doctor ordered!  

IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!!!!!!  Patiently awaiting race anecdotes of greatness!!!

• Like 2

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65