So we die and respawn in a video game.

So about half a year ago now, I'm at work, bopping along doing my thing, and a colleague looks at me and says 'What's wrong with your elbow?'

The story does not go well from here.

Over the course of a few hours my elbow swells up to the size of a baseball, I lose the ability to grip things properly with that hand and a constant semi-numbness sets in. I spend a lot of time at doctors and the hospital and learn a dozen new names for pills that are supposed to fix me, and none of them do. My supposed bursitiss is apparenytly a medical mystery, not for what it is, but why it won't go away.

I finally manage to win my doctor over to the idea that aspirating it, (aka shoving a giant needle in and sucking it dry) is a possible solution and he gets over his concerns for causing sepsis in my elbow and does it.

At this point I close my eyes and hope that my lifelong belief in medical science as the solution to most of my bodies problems is justified.

Because at this point I haven't exercised in months, and have fallen into a deep pit of despair that has lead me back to food. My weight has gone up, my health has worsened, and I'm looking at the possibility of major surgery.

It works!

Within minutes of it being aspirated, feeling returns to my right arm. Within days my grip strength is improving and I'm no longer dropping things like glasses and my phone.

A week later, and on advice of my physiotherapist, I begin light exercise again.

On January 4th, after the best part of half a year of being depressed, eating and not exercising I weighed in at some 247 pounds (113 kilos for those playing in metric) after I'd been down as low as 210 (95kg).

It was almost enough to break me, all that weight I'd lost, returned with a vengeance, all the strength I'd built, gone. Hell, I was struggling to do three or four pushups where once I'd been able to sets of diamond pushups and was working my way towards one armed ones.

Today I'm down to 243 pounds. I can do sets of ten pushups again. Not many, but rising. I can't pull my own bodyweight, but I can pull almost 10kg more of it than I could 10 days ago because I'm eating right again, and I'm exercising again.

We aren't measured by our failures, we are measured by how we deal with them. So to anyone who has failed, who has fallen, remember that you can get up.

And if you get up one more time than you get knocked down, you win.

Happy New Year Nerdfitness. I'm back bitches!

• Like 4

I have taken all knowledge to be my province.

- Sir Francis Bacon

Level 0 Human, leaning towards Assassin

"To say that nothing is true, is to realize that the foundations of society are fragile, and that we must be the shepherds of our own civilization. To say that everything is permitted, is to understand that we are the architects of our actions, and that we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."

- The Creed, as desribed by Ezio Auditore

Ouch, that couldn't have been an easy thing to go through. I'm glad it's been sorted, and that you're starting to build things back up again. The sheer amount of positivity in spite of everything that's happened is fantastic, and I hope your recovery continues to go well.

• Like 1

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

You can do this! Sometimes life happens- we keep going and move on :) You're super inspiring and positive and it's awesome!!!

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Becomes Her Own Hero

Jedi Battle Log

“Keep Calm, Carry On, and Don't Freeze Up!”

- Oboro Shirakumo (Loud Cloud), My Hero Academia Vigilantes

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10#11#12#13#14#15#16, #17#18#19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33,  #34#35#36#37#38#39#40#41#42#43#44, #45#46#47#48#49#50#51#52#53#54#55#56#57#58#59#60#61#62#63

This is a super inspiring post. You are such a badass! Good job and good luck. I'm sure you'll be back in fighting form in no time!

I'm working on it. Gotta do the work if I want the results right?

• Like 1

- Sir Francis Bacon

"To say that nothing is true, is to realize that the foundations of society are fragile, and that we must be the shepherds of our own civilization. To say that everything is permitted, is to understand that we are the architects of our actions, and that we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."

Wow, that's kind of a terrifying thing to go through. Woot for picking yourself back up and moving forward! So awesome!

Yeah, for a brief bit there was a serious discussion about surgery. That never seems to end with the person getting stronger or healthier

- Sir Francis Bacon

O.O

Wow! I'm just glad to hear you were able to help heal your arm! Now unfortunately it seems like some kid came and deleted your old save file so you'll get a fresh run!

Welcome back! Now get out there and level up!

For the Rebellion!

Douglas

You and me both. As for the save file, well at least on my second go round I know what I'm doing. I don't have to learn how to play the game anymore,.

- Sir Francis Bacon

Ouch, that couldn't have been an easy thing to go through. I'm glad it's been sorted, and that you're starting to build things back up again. The sheer amount of positivity in spite of everything that's happened is fantastic, and I hope your recovery continues to go well.

Wasn't fun, but I make a point of being ruthlessly honest about my life. It tends to make me happier as I don't tend to bullshit myself anymore than I have to :D.

Besides, where's the fun in being negative :P

• Like 1

- Sir Francis Bacon

You can do this! Sometimes life happens- we keep going and move on :) You're super inspiring and positive and it's awesome!!!

Thank you. I shall be reposting my ongoing thread shortly if anyone is interested.

- Sir Francis Bacon