Forums are back in action! ×

Sooooo. Newbie to Nerd Fitness AND to a forum. So it will probably take me a while to figure all this tech stuff out. What I lack in tech nerdiness, I make up for in other ways though! Fantasy, D&D lite (on rules), watching videos about fossil finding and mudlarking, board games, embroidery… my 7yr old daughter (nicknamed “missy doodles”) is also showing interest in various nerd outlets- so that has been fun to bring her alongside.

Fitness: I swim a couple of km’s 4ish times and take a couple of walks per week, and this summer I will start my second season of golf. Very consistent for over a year now. 

Nutrition: followed a plan all last year, and did not see the results I was hoping for. I got very discouraged, and had a December filled with not the best food choices.  Jan was better, but I was still kind of bummed out. 

2023 success: I did not stop my fitness activities despite being bummed out with my shape. Realization dawned for the first time in my life that I actually *like* participating in my chosen fitness activities, and they are also good for my mental health. Especially after a really rough few years now! 

2024 goals: to be kind to myself. Find a plan B for nutrition. Join a community for support in my nutrition because my therapist told me to…. So I guess that goal is met already - hi! ???

Bonus goal: meet other merfolk here and trade some conditioning workouts. Talk about successes, technique, etc. 

One of my dearest people is also in this group, and they have been singing the praises of all of you awesome nerds  for a couple of years now. 

• Like 13

I am so excited to see you here! I know I’ve been chatting this place up to you for a while, but it’s still pretty cool that you are checking it out. ❤️ 

• Like 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hi, also a keen beachcomber/mudlarker (less mudlarking near me sadly). 
big tabletop rpg fan and love fossils (nudge me if you ever want to play “ooh, look at this cool rock!!”).

Also a swimmer, though of the wild swimming veriety (mostly sea). Started cold water swimming this winter (my dip was 10.5’c today. It felt like less) still adjusting to swimming with a wooly hat on. 

Joined here last month and they're a very friendly bunch. There are also some fun threads and challenges you can join. 

the creative spelling comes as standard. Enjoy! 
A journey of thousand miles, begins with a single step - Lao Tzu

Challenge: #1#2#3#4#5#6#7#8

@Sea-to-sky no beaches or mudlarking  nearby for me either, but I watch a lot of short vids of other people doing it. Vicarious living haha!  Previous vacations I have hunted for sea glass and sharks teeth though. So much fun.  I would be interested in hearing more about your open water swims- they sound really intense! I live on the prairies and everything is currently snowy, so it’s all lane pool for me. 

@Everstorm that’s awesome!! Are you swimming lanes? I often swim with my queer club or in a class setting. There are lots of little breaks of 15-30sec between sets, so I am able to catch my breath before proceeding on. With that in mind, we can usually get to that distance in about an hour :)

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, Amaroq Apprentice said:

would be interested in hearing more about your open water swims- they sound really intense! I live on the prairies and everything is currently snowy, so it’s all lane pool for me.

I live in cornwall, everywhere is close to the sea here. Used to be a strong swimmer but many years of chronic fatigue mean im trying to build back the muscle ive lost, so only very small, slow laps up and down the beach right now. Always been a big sea swimmer, but i joined a group for cold water swimming (dangerous to go alone, as they say) and im loving it (between all the swearing at how cold it is). Many of them are not wetsuit wearers which is pretty hardcore round here in winter (it is double wetsuit season for the surfers at the moment)

1 hour ago, Sea-to-sky said:

I live in cornwall, everywhere is close to the sea here. Used to be a strong swimmer but many years of chronic fatigue mean im trying to build back the muscle ive lost, so only very small, slow laps up and down the beach right now. Always been a big sea swimmer, but i joined a group for cold water swimming (dangerous to go alone, as they say) and im loving it (between all the swearing at how cold it is). Many of them are not wetsuit wearers which is pretty hardcore round here in winter (it is double wetsuit season for the surfers at the moment)

Holy moly. That sounds incredible. And scary. Glad you have spotters with you. Other than recreational snorkelling and lake dips, I  have never done any open water swimming for fitness. I have had my eye on Swimtrek trips for some time though, and am intrigued by the experience. 

Sorry to hear about the battle with chronic fatigue. Inspirational that you are putting your mind forward with digestible goals ❤️

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, Amaroq Apprentice said:

. I have had my eye on Swimtrek trips for some time though, and am intrigued by the experience.

Ive had a look at some over here too and if i was a stronger swimmer id definetly go for one. They look like a lot of fun. The group im with runs some and one is for iceland. Goals for another day, but it all goes in the idea soup that are my various lists. 

22 minutes ago, Amaroq Apprentice said:

Sorry to hear about the battle with chronic fatigue. Inspirational that you are putting your mind forward with digestible goals ❤️.

Thank you. Taken a lot of work to get to this point. But you have to keep moving forward. Even if its by inches. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amaroq Apprentice said:

I like your handle. Interested to know how you settled on it. Unless that isn’t polite to ask on here? 

I just played around with gender neutral words until I came up with Snarkyfishguts. It made me laugh and just felt right. I identify as a woman, but coming here ten years ago, I felt like it was safer to not disclose anything personal until I was sure this was a safe place, which it is. :) 

• Like 4

Hail and welcome!

Glad to see you here, and yes, having goals that are easily checked off helps momentum I think :D 

• Like 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: Life is not Always SET

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

19 hours ago, Amaroq Apprentice said:

Bonus goal: meet other merfolk here and trade some conditioning workouts. Talk about successes, technique, etc. 

Following because Sovalis happens to have been the link that convinced me to join the forums (due to her clearly stating her interest in Critical Role, which is my biggest nerd obsession), and any friend of hers is welcome in my circle. ?

I'm really fascinated by you being a mermaid! It's one of those things I've seen on the internet, and have encountered at ren fests, and I would love to be a mermaid (despite my inability to swim below the surface without a nose plug). ? 

I definitely think Nerd Fitness has a healthy mindset regarding food that cutting back on stuff is hard and only has results for as long as you maintain it, but that adding more veggies and variety allows you to expand your nutritional content and incrementally improve your eating habits. ?

• Like 1

Level 11 Ranger

Spoiler

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89, 101112

Current challenge:  to face the trials of this life at my own speed, savoring my accomplishments, and accepting my failures with peace

5 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

I just played around with gender neutral words until I came up with Snarkyfishguts. It made me laugh and just felt right. I identify as a woman, but coming here ten years ago, I felt like it was safer to not disclose anything personal until I was sure this was a safe place, which it is. :) 

The name makes me smile. 
Thank you for sharing. I am glad this has been such a safe environment for you. A decade- phew! That’s dedication. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, MaeradCase said:

Following because Sovalis happens to have been the link that convinced me to join the forums (due to her clearly stating her interest in Critical Role, which is my biggest nerd obsession), and any friend of hers is welcome in my circle. ?

I definitely think Nerd Fitness has a healthy mindset regarding food that cutting back on stuff is hard and only has results for as long as you maintain it, but that adding more veggies and variety allows you to expand your nutritional content and incrementally improve your eating habits. ?

Sovalis is one of my ride or die’s. I am glad you found them on here! A gem. I enjoy the work of a few of the players  at Mercer’s table, and have wanted to join the bandwagon, but just can’t seem to squeeze it in with the chaos of life! Although I did watch the Vox Machina cartoon. Love me some Grogg. 

Thanks for the insight on nutritional mindset and expansion/variety. Now to internalize and practice! 

• Like 3
13 hours ago, Amaroq Apprentice said:

Sovalis is one of my ride or die’s. I am glad you found them on here! A gem. I enjoy the work of a few of the players  at Mercer’s table, and have wanted to join the bandwagon, but just can’t seem to squeeze it in with the chaos of life! Although I did watch the Vox Machina cartoon. Love me some Grogg. 

Thanks for the insight on nutritional mindset and expansion/variety. Now to internalize and practice! 

? Dang, I messed up their pronouns. Gotta work on that.

I think the animated series was fantastic, and have no problems with anyone not having watched all fifty billion moments they've shared with us. ? I am caught up on the latest episodes, and there've been times I want to revisit the old, but my available time is limited because I run and play two nights a week.

My trick for veggies is considering myself a hobbit. I don't know that mindset would work for mermaids, though. ? Hobbit mermaids? ?

Level 11 Ranger

Spoiler

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89, 101112

Current challenge:  to face the trials of this life at my own speed, savoring my accomplishments, and accepting my failures with peace

On 2/11/2024 at 6:27 AM, Amaroq Apprentice said:

meet other merfolk here and trade some conditioning workouts. Talk about successes, technique, etc. 

I don't swim as often as I'd like, mainly location and effort of getting changed(!!) but I trained a lot as a kid and am a qualified swimming teacher/coach if I can help improve any peoples I will offer what knowledge I can :)

• Like 1

Level 43 Rogue, 2024 ROADMAP

Welcome to the Dungeons of Doom; locate the Amulet of Yendor ♀ on Level 26

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 45, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 1415, 16, 17, 18, 1920, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46

3 hours ago, MaeradCase said:

? Dang, I messed up their pronouns. Gotta work on that.

I think the animated series was fantastic, and have no problems with anyone not having watched all fifty billion moments they've shared with us. ? I am caught up on the latest episodes, and there've been times I want to revisit the old, but my available time is limited because I run and play two nights a week.

My trick for veggies is considering myself a hobbit. I don't know that mindset would work for mermaids, though. ? Hobbit mermaids? ?

Hobbit mermaids?! If only.  My dream come true ?
awesome that you get to play and run so robustly! Good hobbies are so important. 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Silmarilliane said:

I don't swim as often as I'd like, mainly location and effort of getting changed(!!) but I trained a lot as a kid and am a qualified swimming teacher/coach if I can help improve any peoples I will offer what knowledge I can :)

If you have some tried and true workouts that are around 2km in length, I am always on the lookout! Nice to add some new spice so the ‘ol repertoire doesn’t get stale ?

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Amaroq Apprentice said:

Hobbit mermaids?! If only.  My dream come true ?

Would they have hairy tailfins?!

• Haha 2

Level 43 Rogue, 2024 ROADMAP

Welcome to the Dungeons of Doom; locate the Amulet of Yendor ♀ on Level 26

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 45, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 1415, 16, 17, 18, 1920, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46