Sovalis and the Cedar Chariot

Hi Friends!!

If you have been with me for a while you know that I have a consistent Tarot practice. Lately it seems like I am *constantly* pulling the Chariot card, or in my Herbcrafter deck, Cedar, which is that deck’s “Chariot” card. It’s been a whole thing, believe me. So it seems super appropriate to dedicate this challenge to them and see where it takes me. 

The cards in question:

20240317_203841.thumb.jpg.eaf549cda4060e146c2f1e26a746d724.jpg

From the D&D deck: The Chariot is concerned with following through on your intentions and manifesting your desires. Themes of journeying, navigation, success, willpower, action, control, and determination. The D&D card has both a Gynosphinx and an Androsphinx on the card, pulling the chariot. I read that as the necessity to balance gender, and on a personal note, my place journeying in that liminal space between manhood and womanhood as I try to consciously shape my body to fit my gender neutral self-conception. It might be more simply read as having control over unruly, unpredictable, wild, or difficult things.

From the Herbcrafter’s Tarot: Cedar is a sacred ingredient, especially when used for the creation of vessels and canoes. Cedar calls us to move forward with confidence in a disciplined yet flexible way, embodying the journey. Cedar teaches that the deep journey is what results in the mastery, not the arrival. It encourages us to have faith in our experience and to trust the process, to lean on deep wisdom to forge a new path.

Chariot is a warrior card traditionally: the charioteer is wearing armor in most card art and is usually decorated with squares representing the strength of will and alchemical symbols for spiritual transformation. I will be finding ways to channel the determination and resolve of the Chariot balanced by the gentle, rooted steadfastness of Cedar. I am particularly interested in the idea of a body as a sacred vessel. I haven’t come around to that thought in a long, long time, and certainly never from a place where I thought I was a worthy vessel of anything. I think this could be very productive for me. 

Intentions for this challenge:

1) Eat more plants. Low bar: one per day. 

2) Lift every day, small or large. I was enjoying this last challenge as long as I wasn’t in pain, so I’d like to keep it going. 

3) Make wise decisions about food - “Food that loves you back” as Harriet said. 

4) Cook 2-4 times a week.

5) Focus on getting my three cups of water a day.

Desires for this challenge:

1) Continued fat loss.

2) Increased strength and physical literacy.

3) Deeper, mindful relationship with food. Possibly offering thanks before eating? 

4) Renewed relationship with heavy lifting and spending time in a gym setting. 

Bujo chart at the start of things:

20240320_205523.thumb.jpg.e9d72448fdf49bd0f33b502b5b3af01c.jpg

I hope that if you are resting in Zero Week it is high quality recuperation and gentleness. If you are ready to challenge right away, may your verve and enthusiasm last the entirety of what lays ahead! Thank you so much for being here. ❤️ 

• Like 17
  • That's Metal 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

another excellent bujo page. I always love how you edge them with a coloured marker. My pages aren't really big enough for this but when i get a slightly bigger book i am definitely going to try it. 

“Food that love you back” is definitely a good thought and something i need to focus on more. Many of My comfort foods do not fall into this category right now, which is surely a good impetus to find replacements. Eating stuff that makes you feel better, not worse, when you’re under the weather is probably a smart move going forward. 

I love how you do the tarot theming. Its actually inspired me to pull a few tarot cards after not touching them about 20 years. Sadly the deck i have is from another life, and the art really doesn't speak me at all any more (thus why i haven't posted any). Need to replace it at some point. 
That herbcrafter deck is really cool. Lovely imagery. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

the creative spelling comes as standard. Enjoy! 
A journey of thousand miles, begins with a single step - Lao Tzu

Challenge: #1#2#3

6 hours ago, Sea-to-sky said:

another excellent bujo page. I always love how you edge them with a coloured marker. My pages aren't really big enough for this but when i get a slightly bigger book i am definitely going to try it. 

“Food that love you back” is definitely a good thought and something i need to focus on more. Many of My comfort foods do not fall into this category right now, which is surely a good impetus to find replacements. Eating stuff that makes you feel better, not worse, when you’re under the weather is probably a smart move going forward. 

I love how you do the tarot theming. Its actually inspired me to pull a few tarot cards after not touching them about 20 years. Sadly the deck i have is from another life, and the art really doesn't speak me at all any more (thus why i haven't posted any). Need to replace it at some point. 
That herbcrafter deck is really cool. Lovely imagery. 

I am really excited for you to be into a new book so you have more room to experiment with different things. I know you will take the time it takes to make a natural transition, but I just wanted to share my enthusiasm for your pages and progress. ❤️ 

Harriet saying that was really profound for me. Work has a lot of baking and other gluten options that are easy grabs and the self-restraint to turn them down is definitely something I am developing but it’s slow going. It would be easier if I got a sick stomach or something otherwise immediate, but the joint pain just builds up over a couple of days, so slowly that I usually just acclimate until it gets to be too much to ignore. Not ideal for deterrent. 

I am glad you like the Tarot theming. I am a little self conscious about it because there are a lot of people with Christian Bible verses in their signature lines and I don’t want to offend anyone, but I think I am bringing it forward in a respectful way? I may be over thinking that. I am prone to overthinking. 

The Herbcrafter deck is stunning. One of my favourite decks for sure, and it was a total impulse buy. I didn’t even see the inside of the box before I picked it up. Absolutely the Universe calling. That hasn’t happened too often for me. 

2 hours ago, Everstorm said:

Following!

Hi Ever! Good to have you!

2 hours ago, Darciana said:

I'm here, I'm here! I came as fast as I could *pants in internet*

Hi Braveheart! Thank you for coming! ❤️ 

1 hour ago, athousandwords said:

Excited to follow along! Your bujo page is beautiful! 😍

Hi athousandwords! Thank you! And thanks for joining us here! 

Good Morning, Friends!

Had a bit of a weird night last night, was up from 2:20-3:30 for no discernible reason. But Dave got up then too, so we played video games together for a while before I went back to bed. I slept well after that (he didn’t come back to bed) and slept in until 8 to make up the lost time. That has compressed my morning somewhat, but it was worth it to not feel off kilter. 

This morning I pulled Eight of Earth, Turmeric, yet *again* and I am thinking I need to add that card to the challenge. Its dominant theme is letting what you are doing become embodied prayer and that feel so appropriate for these ideas of body as a sacred vessel, ritual/spiritual/thoughtful lifting, etc. Definitely something to keep in mind. 

I find I am a little shy to do my lifts in the morning now that Dave is in his chair. This seems so silly because we lift together when we go to the gym, so it’s nothing he hasn’t already been exposed to. 

I hope that you have a moment of embodied prayer today. Isn’t that such an evocative phrase? 😍

Thanks for being here. ❤️ 

• Like 12

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 minutes ago, Sovalis said:

I am glad you like the Tarot theming. I am a little self conscious about it because there are a lot of people with Christian Bible verses in their signature lines and I don’t want to offend anyone, but I think I am bringing it forward in a respectful way? I may be over thinking that. I am prone to overthinking. 

I find I am a little shy to do my lifts in the morning now that Dave is in his chair. This seems so silly because we lift together when we go to the gym, so it’s nothing he hasn’t already been exposed to.

I, too, feel a little self conscious about it. I am very open and welcoming (if I say something or share something that is offensive, I apologize and please tell me so I don't repeat it. I want nothing but love and support in this sacred space of the interwebs) but it's so easy to be concerned that you're making others feel uncomfortable or upset. I figure if I keep things to my own little page, then I should be okay - I cannot and absolutely will not force anyone to visit my little area if it's not something they're okay with.

I do think you're going about it in a very gentle way and I absolutely love it! Continue to share and I will continue to visit, support, and love you ❤️ 

Solidarity - I feel much the same about the Man and doing things in front of him in that manner. I don't know why, but in the gym, it's fine. At home, nope, don't look at me. It's weird, but you are not alone in this.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

You don't have to be perfect, you just have to be better than you were before. Do that every day and you will succeed.

21 minutes ago, Sovalis said:

am glad you like the Tarot theming. I am a little self conscious about it because there are a lot of people with Christian Bible verses in their signature lines and I don’t want to offend anyone, but I think I am bringing it forward in a respectful way? I may be over thinking that. I am prone to overthinking

I get that. This is the first place ive ever discussed reading romance novels and i was really unsure about mentioning it. Im pretty self conscious about it so its not something i put out there but everyone has been really cool about it on here. I think the tarot is fun and lots of other people have said nice things about it too. So don't worry. No overthinking needed 😁

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

the creative spelling comes as standard. Enjoy! 
A journey of thousand miles, begins with a single step - Lao Tzu

Challenge: #1#2#3

As someone who has had (or maybe currently has...I haven't checked it in years) scripture references in my signature, I am not offended by any of the ways a person finds a meaningful life, including Tarot.  I find your reflections to be thought-invoking and often inspiring.  Please don't be afraid to share.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

29 minutes ago, Everstorm said:

As someone who has had (or maybe currently has...I haven't checked it in years) scripture references in my signature,

Just the scripture of Brandon Sanderson currently.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Level 16 Ravenclaw Rebel

Fairy tales do not start, nor do they end, in the dark forest (Ted Lasso)
COMPLETED CHALLENGES: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 13.5 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18

CURRENT CHALLENGE

13 hours ago, Sovalis said:

Chariot is a warrior card traditionally: the charioteer is wearing armor in most card art and is usually decorated with squares representing the strength of will and alchemical symbols for spiritual transformation. I will be finding ways to channel the determination and resolve of the Chariot balanced by the gentle, rooted steadfastness of Cedar. I am particularly interested in the idea of a body as a sacred vessel. I haven’t come around to that thought in a long, long time, and certainly never from a place where I thought I was a worthy vessel of anything. I think this could be very productive for me. 

Oooh, nice. I don't know about vessel, but I  do think the earth's living creations are sacred, and that includes the human body. I don't know what practice would support that belief, though.

13 hours ago, Sovalis said:

Intentions for this challenge:

1) Eat more plants. Low bar: one per day. 

2) Lift every day, small or large. I was enjoying this last challenge as long as I wasn’t in pain, so I’d like to keep it going. 

3) Make wise decisions about food - “Food that loves you back” as Harriet said. 

4) Cook 2-4 times a week.

5) Focus on getting my three cups of water a day.

Looking good ❤️ 

1 hour ago, Sovalis said:

Surely there's space for everyone here? Personally I occasionally pray to Ancient Greek and Norse gods. Not sure why that would be more offensive than other people's gods. If anyone does find it offensive, please let me know so I can keep doing it anyway. (Just kidding. I'm like 99% sure none of you would do that.)

1 hour ago, Sovalis said:

This morning I pulled Eight of Earth, Turmeric, yet *again* and I am thinking I need to add that card to the challenge. Its dominant theme is letting what you are doing become embodied prayer and that feel so appropriate for these ideas of body as a sacred vessel, ritual/spiritual/thoughtful lifting, etc. Definitely something to keep in mind. 

Oooh, I love the idea of activities as embodied prayer. Especially lifting! So, um, how does it work? Concrete instructions plz?

• Like 4

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

3 hours ago, Sovalis said:

As a Christian (no Bible verses in my signature, though), I like seeing people work on their spiritual lives as part of their fitness journey and while I'm not always entirely comfortable with everything that is said, I don't want that to stop anyone. I like that there are Christians here that feel comfortable sharing that part of their lives and I wouldn't want anything less for you.

• Like 7

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27, #28#29#30#31Current

Walk to Mordor: 2019, 2020, 2021202220232024

You know if you're tired, it's possible to read cedar as cheddar. Just saying. Maybe it's a sign.

• Haha 6

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

If our vegetarians and carnivore dieters can be supportive of each other's journeys and live in harmony, then it's a cinch for our Christians, pagans, atheists and others to do the same.

water fire GIF

• Like 12
  • That's Metal 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

48 minutes ago, Ranger Hal said:

As a Christian (no Bible verses in my signature, though), I like seeing people work on their spiritual lives as part of their fitness journey and while I'm not always entirely comfortable with everything that is said, I don't want that to stop anyone. I like that there are Christians here that feel comfortable sharing that part of their lives and I wouldn't want anything less for you.

I like that you're here with us and we can be here with you because we, as a collective are better together than at odds ❤️ [even if discomfort is, at times present - I appreciate your honesty and respect it wholeheartedly]

I'll be open and say I also have scripture tattooed on me because there's meaning to it. There's a connection that I found and I'm not shy of it. It will always be a part of who I am, spiritually and physically

• Like 4

You don't have to be perfect, you just have to be better than you were before. Do that every day and you will succeed.

6 hours ago, Sovalis said:

Speaking as one of the people with a Christian Bible verse in his signature line, I would say you are not offensive at all. :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Sovalis said:

I am a little self conscious about it because there are a lot of people with Christian Bible verses in their signature lines and I don’t want to offend anyone, but I think I am bringing it forward in a respectful way? I may be over thinking that. I am prone to overthinking. 

Not offended at all. 

I hear you on overthinking. I do that way too much. But, it also is part of what makes you such a thoughtful, caring person.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

10 hours ago, Sovalis said:

Hehe I feel that. Maybe try just doing a cheeky little lift rep while he's around :P See how it goes. 

• Haha 1

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

Here to support and cheer you on!  

• Thanks 1

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore before you decide to be happy” -Nightbirde

“Dreams do not come true all by themselves. They are nourished by the bounty of hard work”  -Unknown Disney Imagineer

2024 Word

Svastha: Standing in One’s Own Power

Current Challenge:

Sepherina Continues her Quest of Strength

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 , #6 , #7 , #8 , #9#10#11

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

22 hours ago, Sovalis said:

I am glad you like the Tarot theming. I am a little self conscious about it because there are a lot of people with Christian Bible verses in their signature lines and I don’t want to offend anyone

Others have already said it very well, but just wanted to chime in as another Christian Bible verse person to say that I share about my church activities in my challenge because it's a big part of my personal journey, but I don't expect everyone who visits my thread to feel the same way about it.  And the ones who don't still provide lovely support that I very much appreciate. I don't see why your Tarot practice can't function in exactly the same way. One of the most beautiful things about this place is that we can all support each other without having to agree on all the particulars of life.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

On 3/21/2024 at 3:13 AM, Sea-to-sky said:

New deck as a challenge reward?

On 3/21/2024 at 10:22 AM, Sovalis said:

UPG, but for me, Turmeric is sovereign for anti-inflammation, for soothing angry systems with the calm of clay soil that drinks in all hurt; pain shared is pain halved.

(I think it's common parlance, but some crunchy friends use unverified personal gnosis (UPG) to flag a statement as something that is personally meaningful, rather than an empirical truth claim)

On 3/21/2024 at 10:22 AM, Sovalis said:

I'm newer to following the Sovalis journey, Dave is your partner and currently a wheelchair-user?

19 hours ago, Harriet said:

You know if you're tired, it's possible to read cedar as cheddar. Just saying. Maybe it's a sign.

That would be the Wisconsin Oracle deck my dear. We take our cheeses very seriously here.

• Like 4

Level 38 [TBD]

19 hours ago, Harriet said:

It is most definitely as sign. 

Hi Friends,

I am not going to reply to everyone’s supportive comments on this post because it’s a lot, but THANK YOU SO MUCH for your assurance and care. I really appreciate the overwhelming sense of community and support and I am once again delighted and affirmed by the level of compassion in our community, ❤️❤️❤️ The anxiety ball in me also really appreciated being told in no uncertain terms that I wasn’t doing anything wrong. *lol*

I have today off work today. I took a three day weekend so that hopefully Dave and I can spend some quality time together now that he is more awake than he was at the beginning of the week.  I am happy to be off. Today will involve a lot of game prep for tonight but Dave wants to play video games all day so I am not neglecting him. I am quite excited about game tonight (The Drakkin “Baby” is going to be born!) and looking forward to making it memorable. 

I went and did another InBody scan this morning after significantly reducing my wheat consumption since Monday. I am *very* pleased to report that my inflammation numbers went from the highest they had ever been to the second lowest! I am so very excited about this. It also didn’t hurt that my weight went from 268.0 to 263.5 which was of course all water, but yay for that anyway. My fingers feel less stiff and sore and all of the rest of my joints feel better. Dave said I am moving better as well, which is great. I don’t notice when my movement goes off, but it makes sense given that my joints are all gross. I am very grateful for the InBody scan giving such discreet information; I would have no idea what I needed to change if I were relying solely on a gravity scale just saying the weight is going up. I am going to keep wheat for special occasion foods and avoid it in the day to day. Kind of the 80/20 rule, except maybe more strict. 90/10? 95/5? We will see how it plays out. I can keep an eye on the inflammation with the readouts, but I usually only go at the start of every challenge, so every six weeks. I will have to become more sensitive to body cues if I don’t want to be going more often than that. The trouble is that it generally takes a fair amount of exposure before I start to notice the pain, although I am sure the inflammation is quietly doing its thing even when I don’t notice it. Oh bodies. 

I hope that you are feeling right and tight in your body today and that you have ease of movement and satisfying thoughts. Thanks for being here!! ❤️ 

• Like 9
  • That's Metal 1

9 minutes ago, Laghail said:

New deck as a challenge reward?

I think that is an awesome idea!

UPG, but for me, Turmeric is sovereign for anti-inflammation, for soothing angry systems with the calm of clay soil that drinks in all hurt; pain shared is pain halved.

(I think it's common parlance, but some crunchy friends use unverified personal gnosis (UPG) to flag a statement as something that is personally meaningful, rather than an empirical truth claim)

I have never heard of UPG before but I really like it. Your take is excellent. Thank you.

I'm newer to following the Sovalis journey, Dave is your partner and currently a wheelchair-user?

Dave is primary partner, yes. His chair is just his recliner that lives smack dab in the middle of our living room. I could probably lift behind it to be out of sight, there’s room. 

That would be the Wisconsin Oracle deck my dear. We take our cheeses very seriously here.

😂

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sovalis said:

Dave is primary partner, yes. His chair is just his recliner that lives smack dab in the middle of our living room. I could probably lift behind it to be out of sight, there’s room. 

Ah! I'm glad I checked! I had half of a well intentioned post typed out about how it's sweet that you're shy around seeing your partners body in a wheelchair and how admirable it is to blush in front of your lover of many years LOOL

This is why we don't assume things lol

• Haha 2

Level 38 [TBD]