Sovalis and the Cedar Chariot

2 hours ago, Sovalis said:

I don’t like the smell and don’t particularly want the accoutrements hanging out

Yeah, I would not be ok with this either :( 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Level 37 Rogue Ranger, 2024 ROADMAP

Welcome to the Dungeons of Doom; locate the Amulet of Yendor ♀ on Level 26

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 45, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 1415, 16, 17, 18, 1920, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

On 4/3/2024 at 6:42 PM, Sovalis said:

My lifting goal hasn't gotten off the ground so far this challenge and I'm concerned it's not going to at this rate. I've been a bit unfocused since Dave got home which is pretty normal for reintegration, but I'm low key frustrated by my lack of consistency. I'm happy I'm doing other things, like painting and some cooking. But I'd like to be doing *all* the things. As would we all, I assume. 

Yes, I know this thing and hate it also. 

I am feeling hellishly unmotivated to do anything right now. I can’t tell if it is general resentment of the situation, my poor sleep the past few nights, or what, but I feel like I am in stasis mode right now. I hope this feeling passes. I really don’t like it and it compounds itself with feelings of inadequacy and incompetence. 

I know this thing as well. Total mental/emotional fatigue causing intractable unwillingness to do anything. 

I wish that were an option. They spent all of their available money on the plane tickets so we are pretty much on the hook for everything else. 

Did I read that they booked their tickets, THEN told you? I don't like this.

The current issue is Houseguest has started smoking weed again (they had quit the last time they were here) and I struggle with the smell and don’t particularly want the bong sitting on my kitchen table waiting for use. I don’t have a problem with marijuana use at all, other than I don’t like the smell and don’t particularly want the accoutrements hanging out. They are smoking in the yard, not in the house, so that is good. But it lingers on clothes and on the bong and the funk wears on me. Argh. I know from past experience that asking them to keep the bong in their room will build resentment that I don’t want to deal with, especially so early in the visit.

You mean if you say something like "Your smoking equipment smells strongly. Keep it out of our shared spaces, please." They will sulk or argue? I don't like this, either.  

I didn’t eat yesterday other than a packet of gluten free cookies and a vodka soda after work which is hardly ideal but I am struggling to care at the moment.

Stuff sounds difficult and sucky at the moment, especially with the guest, who doesn't sound ideal. I think you should gift your brain some high quality food though. Not good to compound house guest stress and sleep stress with brain food neglect. Brain needs high quality input to survive, then recover, from stress. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

8 minutes ago, Harriet said:

I don't like this, either.  

Yeah, your houseguest is a dick. God knows, I'm pretty laid back about guests, but this is abnormally bad.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

3 hours ago, Sovalis said:

They are smoking in the yard, not in the house, so that is good. But it lingers on clothes and on the bong and the funk wears on me. Argh. I know from past experience that asking them to keep the bong in their room will build resentment that I don’t want to deal with, especially so early in the visit.

Since you are up for suggestions, is this a thing you can ask Dave to address so you aren't the point of resentment?  Or will it trickle to you anyway?   Sorry this visit hasn't started well.  It obviously was not planned well by said friend but I had hopes it would go smoothly despite.  

Sounds like re-integration needs to take a back seat until 'friend' leaves.  You are not in the usual living situation so allow yourself some grace with the lifting and other goals and just take care of yourself!  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

3 hours ago, Silmarilliane said:

Yeah, I would not be ok with this either :( 

Thank you for your solidarity. 

3 hours ago, Harriet said:

Yes, I know this thing and hate it also. 

I know this thing as well. Total mental/emotional fatigue causing intractable unwillingness to do anything. 

Exactly. 

Did I read that they booked their tickets, THEN told you? I don't like this.

Yup! We had 36 hours notice. Their return ticket is booked for the 20th. No idea if they are staying with us the whole time or not.

You mean if you say something like "Your smoking equipment smells strongly. Keep it out of our shared spaces, please." They will sulk or argue? I don't like this, either.  

That's what happened last time. I am very sensitive to sulking people, it really sets off my baggage. 

Stuff sounds difficult and sucky at the moment, especially with the guest, who doesn't sound ideal. I think you should gift your brain some high quality food though. Not good to compound house guest stress and sleep stress with brain food neglect. Brain needs high quality input to survive, then recover, from stress. 

Solid loving advice, as usual. Thanks, Harriet. 💜

2 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Yeah, your houseguest is a dick. God knows, I'm pretty laid back about guests, but this is abnormally bad.

Thank you for validating my feelings. 

2 hours ago, Shello said:

Since you are up for suggestions, is this a thing you can ask Dave to address so you aren't the point of resentment?  Or will it trickle to you anyway?   Sorry this visit hasn't started well.  It obviously was not planned well by said friend but I had hopes it would go smoothly despite.  

I can ask Dave to manage it, but I'm not sure it will change anything in a way that's favourable. Thank you. 

2 hours ago, Shello said:

Sounds like re-integration needs to take a back seat until 'friend' leaves.  You are not in the usual living situation so allow yourself some grace with the lifting and other goals and just take care of yourself!  

Yeah! Yikes! 😬😅

33 minutes ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Oh, so he IS a pain in the ass. He sounds remarkably like my uncle. I'm guessing like my uncle, he won't leave if he gets sulky, he'll just get worse and try to make you miserable, yeah? Is that about right?

So what is Dave doing about this?  

Sounds about right. 

So far nothing. I'm going to talk to Dave a bit more about it tonight and see what I can come up with. 

Thanks, All. You're helping me feel more level about all of this. 💜

• Like 11

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

9 hours ago, Sovalis said:

I wish that were an option. They spent all of their available money on the plane tickets so we are pretty much on the hook for everything else. 

Technically.... no, you are not. You didn't invite this guest, nor did you force them to carelessly over-spend for a visit that you were told about too late to be able to stop it.  So no, you're not on the hook for anything this so-called guest brought on themselves by making bad decisions and forcing you to bail them out.

The current issue is Houseguest has started smoking weed again (they had quit the last time they were here) and I struggle with the smell and don’t particularly want the bong sitting on my kitchen table waiting for use.

Hospitality goes both ways, and guests who don't have the grace and courtesy to treat their hosts, and the home of their host, with respect and consideration, are assholes who don't need to remain guests.

I know from past experience that asking them to keep the bong in their room will build resentment that I don’t want to deal with, especially so early in the visit.

Definitely an asshole of the highest order.

You wouldn't happen to have an over-enthusiastic pet that by sheer coincidence just happened to play very energetically in the kitchen and accidentally crash hard into a kitchen table leg while the bong was on the table and you were in another room by chance...? 😇

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

6 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Agreed. Sounds like the worst type of house guest. The kind you wish would leave and never come back. 

we have a cousin who when visiting bought an extra guest with them without warning (which was fun as we only had enough beds for 2, so having 3 turn up got very complicated) .they have not been invited to return. We are always mysteriously buisy when they insinuate coming to visit. Eventually they stopped trying. 

highly recommed spontaneously painting the spare room when they make noises in that direction. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

the creative spelling comes as standard. Enjoy! 
A journey of thousand miles, begins with a single step - Lao Tzu

Challenge: #1#2#3#4

7 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

You wouldn't happen to have an over-enthusiastic pet that by sheer coincidence just happened to play very energetically in the kitchen and accidentally crash hard into a kitchen table leg while the bong was on the table and you were in another room by chance...? 😇

SAX TO THE RESCUE!!!!!!

blacrswan.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 6
22 hours ago, Sovalis said:

I don’t like the smell and don’t particularly want the accoutrements hanging out.

I am the same way, but I also have resentments about weed from some family member shenanigans in a Past Life, which makes current irritations amplified and stickier. 

I am sending a lot of love and compassion your way. The sheer narcissism of "gifting" someone with my now-broke--but somehow simultaneously now weed-infused-- presence sounds like something out of Sally Rooney novel.  Mad props that you didn't go on a rage or straight up say NOPE and let the tribal emotional chips fall where they may. 

21 hours ago, Laghail said:

Is it cool if I bombard you with 3rd space suggestions to alleviate things?

Third space is my question too. Is there a public library near-ish? If so, are they chill with you taking your BuJo or other journal and just hanging out in a Reading Space? While this is absolutely suboptimal (none of your paint things around, none of your weights etc), it does create a space where you aren't getting bombarded by new resentment things while trying to process the last resentment things. And all of this processing is emotional labor, so having a supportive space might be helpful in real time. Also, how in/convenient is it to spend time at the gym around your work and sleep schedules? 

I very much love you and am not trying to solution your problem away. If you can't do any of these things, you're not disappointing me. Like Laghail, I'm wanting to Zeitgeist-think some support to you and help alleiate the friction. I definitely think that having your time with Dave interrupted is probably teeth-grinding on its own, even if this were The Best Houseguest Ever. I daresay that if they can't afford a hotel, perhaps a night or two at a local hotel would be good for you. I'm glad the couch is long enough, and also I would love to know that you had at elast a couple nights of Really Good Sleep, and an uninterrupted hot bath.

Blue is the word this week, by the way.

While we were sitting on the roof a couple evenings ago, I said something very Heidisome (those sorts of obvious comments that just rake across everyone's illusions and feelings like a microplane; I swear sometimes I could peel paint off the side of a barn *facepalm*) and Nic looked at me and said "Dragon, then?" in reference to a days-ago conversation about what sort of mythical creature would you be. It was perfectly timed, and lovely, and accepting, and I said Blue Steel Dragon, most likely, combination of chromatic and elemental. He thought about that and said "Blue for certain. Maybe ice, though." 

I hope you find some space and some peace today, beautiful friend.

This is an enduring walk, and I am with you in Spirit.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

&Heidi

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid  Level 12 Philosopher and level 11 Librarian (built on the Monk class, with a training path in The Way of the Cobalt Soul)

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | :: 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 |

Shaman: 82 | 83 | 84

Philosopher-Librarian 85 |:: 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

16 hours ago, Sovalis said:

I am very sensitive to sulking people, it really sets off my baggage.

That's becuase sulking is, like all passive aggression, emotional manipulation to make your boundaries the problem, and co-opt being wronged instead of being in error.

Honestly, this sounds like the Toxic Friend I used to spend time with from 2016-2018, who re-entered my life "to be helpful" after my head injury in 2019, and who just made everything so much worse with his infantile ways. I am sorry this is your April. I am sorry you don't know how long this will go on. I am in your corner, always.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

&Heidi

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid  Level 12 Philosopher and level 11 Librarian (built on the Monk class, with a training path in The Way of the Cobalt Soul)

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

16 hours ago, Sea-to-sky said:

Seconding everyone else. I would not be a happy bunny if a guest did this. That is incredibly inconsiderate for you guys and your home. 

Thank you. 

13 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Technically.... no, you are not. You didn't invite this guest, nor did you force them to carelessly over-spend for a visit that you were told about too late to be able to stop it.  So no, you're not on the hook for anything this so-called guest brought on themselves by making bad decisions and forcing you to bail them out.

Hospitality goes both ways, and guests who don't have the grace and courtesy to treat their hosts, and the home of their host, with respect and consideration, are assholes who don't need to remain guests.

This person is incredibly important to Dave so I (honestly, we, he wasn’t told they were coming either and is similarly flat footed about it, but not emotionally inconvenienced the way I am) are feeling some kind of way about -not- being good hosts. I feel very torn about all of this, as I think I have established. He is much more go-with-the-flow about it, as he is about everything in life. Where I feel guilt about not being a good host (baggage from the high expectations of my first marriage), Dave just doesn’t care and isn’t inconvenienced by anything *because* he doesn’t care. I am not in a position to ask HouseGuest to leave without starting some shit with Dave though, and I don’t want to do that while we are still working on the reintegration. 

The further difficulty is that Sax LOVES them. They give him a lot of time and attention and honestly, very good care, so Sax thinks they hung the moon. He may get over exuberant sometimes, but the bong is not at risk, sadly. I am honestly a little jealous about the way my dog interacts with them. 

6 hours ago, Sea-to-sky said:

Agreed. Sounds like the worst type of house guest. The kind you wish would leave and never come back. 

we have a cousin who when visiting bought an extra guest with them without warning (which was fun as we only had enough beds for 2, so having 3 turn up got very complicated) .they have not been invited to return. We are always mysteriously buisy when they insinuate coming to visit. Eventually they stopped trying. 

highly recommed spontaneously painting the spare room when they make noises in that direction. 

The cousin situation sounds rough! I am sorry you had to deal with that. 

I think I would have made the noise about paining the spare room if I’d had any notice that this was coming. I do need to get it done. *lol*

5 hours ago, Salinger said:

SAX TO THE RESCUE!!!!!!

blacrswan.gif

Lol!!! Great gif!

Thanks, Sal!

26 minutes ago, Heidi said:

I am the same way, but I also have resentments about weed from some family member shenanigans in a Past Life, which makes current irritations amplified and stickier. 

I am sending a lot of love and compassion your way. The sheer narcissism of "gifting" someone with my now-broke--but somehow simultaneously now weed-infused-- presence sounds like something out of Sally Rooney novel.  Mad props that you didn't go on a rage or straight up say NOPE and let the tribal emotional chips fall where they may. 

Third space is my question too. Is there a public library near-ish? If so, are they chill with you taking your BuJo or other journal and just hanging out in a Reading Space? While this is absolutely suboptimal (none of your paint things around, none of your weights etc), it does create a space where you aren't getting bombarded by new resentment things while trying to process the last resentment things. And all of this processing is emotional labor, so having a supportive space might be helpful in real time. Also, how in/convenient is it to spend time at the gym around your work and sleep schedules? 

The external offering of rage just isn’t an option right now without causing a lot of problems that I don’t want to deal with. There is a small library, I can check that out. I don’t remember workspaces from my last visit, but that was pre-Covid so things might be different now. I might also be able to go to the gym. Normally I would take Dave with me if I were doing weights, but there is enough I can do alone that I don’t need him there. It will remain to be seen how I manage that after a work session, but I have been wanting to find out so I guess soon is as good a time as any. 

I very much love you and am not trying to solution your problem away. If you can't do any of these things, you're not disappointing me. Like Laghail, I'm wanting to Zeitgeist-think some support to you and help alleiate the friction. I definitely think that having your time with Dave interrupted is probably teeth-grinding on its own, even if this were The Best Houseguest Ever. I daresay that if they can't afford a hotel, perhaps a night or two at a local hotel would be good for you. I'm glad the couch is long enough, and also I would love to know that you had at elast a couple nights of Really Good Sleep, and an uninterrupted hot bath.

The hot bath I can handle at least; my ensuite bathroom has the epic tub and that is off limits to everyone except me. Even Dave doesn’t go in there. So that is a good retreat. We don’t have the money for a hotel room right now - honestly, I am not even sure we have enough for groceries for the next ten days feeding three people without having to resort to credit which I don’t want to do if we can avoid it - but I wish we did. It’s going to be fine, but I am vexed. The couch was better to sleep on last night and I moved downstairs earlier in the night so got more uninterrupted sleep. I think things will continue to improve with the couch texture the more I use it. It is brand new and very stiff. 

Blue is the word this week, by the way.

While we were sitting on the roof a couple evenings ago, I said something very Heidisome (those sorts of obvious comments that just rake across everyone's illusions and feelings like a microplane; I swear sometimes I could peel paint off the side of a barn *facepalm*) and Nic looked at me and said "Dragon, then?" in reference to a days-ago conversation about what sort of mythical creature would you be. It was perfectly timed, and lovely, and accepting, and I said Blue Steel Dragon, most likely, combination of chromatic and elemental. He thought about that and said "Blue for certain. Maybe ice, though." 

❤️ I love this for you. And I am glad that Nic is holding ground with the Heidisms. If he can’t keep up with you, he doesn’t deserve you. 

I hope you find some space and some peace today, beautiful friend.

This is an enduring walk, and I am with you in Spirit.

Thank you so much. ❤️ 

17 minutes ago, Heidi said:

That's becuase sulking is, like all passive aggression, emotional manipulation to make your boundaries the problem, and co-opt being wronged instead of being in error.

Honestly, this sounds like the Toxic Friend I used to spend time with from 2016-2018, who re-entered my life "to be helpful" after my head injury in 2019, and who just made everything so much worse with his infantile ways. I am sorry this is your April. I am sorry you don't know how long this will go on. I am in your corner, always.

Mmm, solid insight. That makes a lot of sense. 

Thank you. ❤️ 

Morning, Friends!

Yesterday I ate a smoothie for breakfast and had a lettuce wrapped burger for dinner with some baby cucumbers. I didn’t manage lunch. But I could hear Harriet in my head all day giving me good food advice, so thanks for that, Friend. ❤️ I moved to the couch at 12:45 this morning and had a better sleep than I did the night before. I am feeling more prepared for my day and that is good. 

I am taking a coworker to do the InBody scan this morning and then we are going out for breakfast before I work at 11. I might check back here if there is time between breakfast concluding and getting ready for work. 

I thank you deeply for the support and care you are offering. I am leaning heavily on it right now. 

I hope that you see some kerning on a sign that makes you do a double take today. That’s always fun. Thanks for being here. ❤️ 

• Like 10
  • That's Metal 2

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

32 minutes ago, Sovalis said:

I hope that you see some kerning on a sign that makes you do a double take today. That’s always fun

Have now fallen down a "kerning fails" rabbit hole and I laughing and so very glad that I work from home.

Thank you for this, Friend. I needed it. :) 

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 1

&Heidi

Spoiler

58 minutes ago, Sovalis said:

I could hear Harriet in my head all day giving me good food advice, so thanks for that, Friend. ❤️ 

Excellent. Eat nature's best creations and be well. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

10 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Eat nature's best creations and be well. 

I need this on a magnet with Harriet's avatar.

❤️ 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • That's Metal 1

&Heidi

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Laghail said:

Blue music

Blue beads

image.thumb.jpeg.e0d4f0c701ac0bf7b4c4e660bb4d0a72.jpeg

What are you crafting with the Blue Beads?
I kind of adore them. ❤️ 

&Heidi

Spoiler

22 minutes ago, Heidi said:

What are you crafting with the Blue Beads?
I kind of adore them. ❤️ 

Been in a bit counting bracelet phase and the two triangular pieces are for my local post office worker lady who only wears blue and silver. The copper and glass piece is for a buddy with a magpie sense of fashion so he just wants all the shiny. 

image.thumb.jpeg.5a29d3d5086b1dda040a0e2ca82633bd.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Wow 2
  • That's Metal 2

Level 38 [Raveling Bard]

7 hours ago, Sovalis said:

honestly, I am not even sure we have enough for groceries for the next ten days feeding three people without having to resort to credit which I don’t want to do if we can avoid it

The slightly malicious part of me is imagining you serving rice and beans every night for the rest of the visit. (Yes, I know, that's probably not a helpful suggestion, but I'm unhappy with the idea that you would have to go into debt because of your highly inconsiderate guest. If they're broke enough that they can't pay for their own food, I'm enjoying the idea of them having to eat like it.)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27, #28#29#30#31#32Current

Walk to Mordor: 2019, 2020, 2021202220232024

11 hours ago, Sovalis said:

I am not in a position to ask HouseGuest to leave without starting some shit with Dave though, and I don’t want to do that while we are still working on the reintegration. 

Okay, that changes my position, because nothing is worth starting shit with your partner.

3 hours ago, Ranger Hal said:

The slightly malicious part of me is imagining you serving rice and beans every night for the rest of the visit. 

I was going to suggest something similar... maybe not rice and beans and nothing else, but when food money was tight for me in the past, variety was always the first to go. Cheap and in bulk was the order of things, and then I scraped and saved until I had a decent spice collection, and variety of seasonings was how I had variety of food. 

Needs must, and all that. Channel a firm no-fucks-given attitude about hosting, and focus on preserving what you can for when the guest leaves, both budget and relationship.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

6 hours ago, Ranger Hal said:

The slightly malicious part of me is imagining you serving rice and beans every night for the rest of the visit. (Yes, I know, that's probably not a helpful suggestion, but I'm unhappy with the idea that you would have to go into debt because of your highly inconsiderate guest. If they're broke enough that they can't pay for their own food, I'm enjoying the idea of them having to eat like it.)

I had similar thoughts, especially since you have wheat issues, and holy moly, rice and beans can be so satisfying and easy to fix. 

If you want to go this route, I have several avenues for serving said rice and beans as a dish, and there are a lot of low-cook options (like slow cooker for the beans) that actually do all the work while you’re out at your job. I mean, if you’re interested. :)

3 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Channel a firm no-fucks-given attitude about hosting, and focus on preserving what you can for when the guest leaves, both budget and relationship.

I agree with Scaly Freak, as usual.

❤️ 

• Like 4

&Heidi

Spoiler

10 hours ago, Heidi said:

I had similar thoughts, especially since you have wheat issues, and holy moly, rice and beans can be so satisfying and easy to fix. 

If you want to go this route, I have several avenues for serving said rice and beans as a dish, and there are a lot of low-cook options (like slow cooker for the beans) that actually do all the work while you’re out at your job. I mean, if you’re interested. :)

I agree with Scaly Freak, as usual.

❤️

I am here for bean recipes, please!

14 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Okay, that changes my position, because nothing is worth starting shit with your partner.

I was going to suggest something similar... maybe not rice and beans and nothing else, but when food money was tight for me in the past, variety was always the first to go. Cheap and in bulk was the order of things, and then I scraped and saved until I had a decent spice collection, and variety of seasonings was how I had variety of food. 

Needs must, and all that. Channel a firm no-fucks-given attitude about hosting, and focus on preserving what you can for when the guest leaves, both budget and relationship.

No fucks given commencing!

17 hours ago, Ranger Hal said:

This is not malicious at all, but very prudent. Thanks, Hal. ❤️ 

20 hours ago, Laghail said:

Been in a bit counting bracelet phase and the two triangular pieces are for my local post office worker lady who only wears blue and silver. The copper and glass piece is for a buddy with a magpie sense of fashion so he just wants all the shiny. 

image.thumb.jpeg.5a29d3d5086b1dda040a0e2ca82633bd.jpeg

These are gorgeous, Laghail. Thank you for sharing. 

On 4/5/2024 at 9:19 AM, Heidi said:

I need this on a magnet with Harriet's avatar.

❤️

Right?? 

On 4/5/2024 at 9:08 AM, Harriet said:

Excellent. Eat nature's best creations and be well. 

❤️ You have such a turn of phrase, Harriet. I love it. 

On 4/5/2024 at 8:41 AM, Heidi said:

Have now fallen down a "kerning fails" rabbit hole and I laughing and so very glad that I work from home.

Thank you for this, Friend. I needed it. :) 

You’re super welcome! Kerning fails are hilarious and everyone should enjoy them. :D  

Hi Friends,

I did my InBody scan with my coworker yesterday and although it has only been about a week from my last one, there is still evidence of further reduction in inflammation and more modest weight loss that I’m happy about. Inflammation is now tied with the lowest it has ever been since I started recording and firmly in the “normal” spectrum now according to their metrics, which is great. My joints are feeling pretty good and my wedding ring is fitting nicely when I put it on (I don’t wear it when I am working because I have my hands in the sink for ~40% of the day). I need to work on my bulk wheat replacements though, because not having it in certain meals means my calorie intake is lower than it would be. And my fibre. Last night Dave surprised me by making chicken salad for sandwiches for supper (a recipe he has never attempted before; I was proud of him for taking the initiative and trying something new *and* using up leftovers in the fridge). I had mine as lettuce wraps, but was still a little want-y after because the bulk just wasn’t there without the buns. I had more salad and a few tablespoons of peanut butter and that seemed to do it. I am eating more peanut butter again which is absolutely a stress pacification strategy. I was doing really well with not stealing spoonfuls while Dave was gone and my stress was low but that isn’t holding now. I am giving myself grace about this but it’s worth keeping an eye on. 

My weight was 262.8 with my clothes on for the InBody and I am super stoked to see that number. Maybe the 250’s aren’t so far off!

Work is a little stressful right now, not because the job is difficult but more balancing personalities. This is something I didn’t miss while I was working alone at the game shop and I knew I’d run into it as soon as I started working anywhere with people. I still think I am better off than I was while I was dealing with Ken, but the past week or so (two of my most competent coworkers have been off) has really shown that we are better when we are all together and no one personality has a chance to get too dominant. I think one of my coworkers who is in the kitchen may move on to another job soon which is a shame for me but makes a lot of good sense for them. I am really looking forward to my day off tomorrow. 

Houseguest did some dishes yesterday unasked and this morning made us eggs. This was nice. 

Bryon is getting a tattoo of his wizard Bogdan and I am so thrilled that he cares enough about this character he is playing in a game that I am running that he is going to put him on his body in permanent ink. It’s a strange borrowed pride, but how cool right?? It will be a forearm sleeve and it sounds epic. I hope it turns out exactly as amazing as he wants it to if it’s such a prominent placement. 

Alright. I think I am going to go have a bath before work at noon. I hope that you are all having stunning Saturdays. May your first sips of your hot beverages be the perfect temperature and there be no grit that requires sweeping under your feet if you are walking barefoot. Thanks for being here. ❤️ 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • That's Metal 1

17 minutes ago, Sovalis said:

This is not malicious at all, but very prudent. Thanks, Hal. ❤️ 

I think the malicious part comes from my kitchen which often has negative points for presentation because I simply don't care what the food looks like and there's no one else around to be bothered by it. My current version of rice and crockpot refried beans looks pretty terrible when mixed up in a bowl. In a burrito or something (which I don't usually bother with because it's more work), I could maybe see serving it to a guest.

• Like 1

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27, #28#29#30#31#32Current

Walk to Mordor: 2019, 2020, 2021202220232024

52 minutes ago, Sovalis said:

May your first sips of your hot beverages be the perfect temperature and there be no grit that requires sweeping under your feet if you are walking barefoot.

This was my morning, and now I know why :) 

• Like 2