curious-watching.gif

wile-e-coyote-introduce.gif

I have a challenge problem. I fail every one, but keep trying. Some might call it madness, some tenacity.

THIS time I have a new plan. I'm going to be all sneaky-like about it.

200.gif?cid=82a1493bdw4q1xjqsczw8s9729dw 

Instead of tackling things head on, I'm taking a three-pronged approach, a combo of managing my energy, my environment and my emotions. In theory, when these are aligned I won't need schedules or to do lists (except as reminders) and thus won't rebel against them. 

c56ee67c-2b4c-4c8c-b36f-d239c6ccd201_tex

Energy

#1 Sleep - Go to bed before midnight. Switch to glasses and brush my teeth as soon as I feel tired.

ff0d2b85c72abd9873a3fb06299dc435.gif

#2 Hydrate - I've been tracking my water intake and it's not great. And let's be real most of it consists of coffee. Aim is 2.5 liters of liquid.

f15ca0135931eb1b35447d4bd78bee5b.gif

#3 Don't wreck myself in the gym - I accidentally got a little handstand obsessed again and don't notice the time until my body can't take it and then I get sore for days and don't wanna do anything. The goal is to set a timer in case I get carried away.

tenor.gif

Environment

#1 Use web blockers - I keep falling into YT rabbit holes and need a reset. Not too aggressive because then I start rebelling against them, just during the day when I really want to be doing other things.

d4a5c4068ab1796d6fd64bd6a968d72d.gif

#2 Use music to get moving and manipulate mood

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952beplnqk5jor2p5x5hh

#3 Go outside/change environment when I feel stale

200w.gif?cid=6c09b95237r74rnqq45i8o54wzs

Emotions

#1 Figure out why I'm procrastinating - Am I overwhelmed? Do I know how to do the thing? Am I bogged down by expectations? Can I break it down, or make it easier?

looney-tunes-daffy.gif

#2 Make it fun!

tumblr_okkyzycWZv1u0bi6jo6_540.gif

Let's go! What could possibly go wrong this time?

giphy.gif

• Like 8
  • That's Metal 3

bugs-bunny-eating.gif

• Like 1

Active challenges: Summer bod - for real this time! | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

2023-24 threads: Challenge VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX

2018-19 & 2021 threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII

Turning the challenge into a troubleshooting exercise? I like it! :) 

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

On 5/2/2024 at 5:40 PM, sarakingdom said:

Managing my energy levels like:

reddit GIF

I feel ya!

On 5/2/2024 at 6:03 PM, Elastigirl said:

Cheering you on!

Thanks!

21 hours ago, Laghail said:

Love this challenge!! Does the current "big dumb cup" trend have any traction with you? It's my hydration go-to strategy, but also a funny SNL. 

Nope I forget and when I finally remember I get sad because the water's warm and stale but because I took that one sip I count it as adequate hydration. My strategy is to down a glass whenever I remember or when PlantNanny tells me.

20 hours ago, Kishi said:

Be vewy, vewy quiet....

looney-tunes-explosion.gif

Oopsie.

14 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Turning the challenge into a troubleshooting exercise? I like it! :) 

Gotta keep trying things!

• Like 1

Yesterday I went to the gym but got bored really quickly and wanted to be outside. So I did. Then I got reeeally tired. I still wonder if too much time outside might not be the best because of all the plant semen in the air. But it's worth it. I watched pigeons while listening to a podcast about pigeons. I learned that they produce milk. 🤯 Both the females and the males!

Since I passed out early yesterday I also woke up stupidly early, which I did not appreciate. On the plus side it gave me plenty of quiet uninterrupted time to start a re-read of Night Watch, which I do appreciate.

Then I took my laptop to a coffee shop to work on my parent's website. I really, really, really didn't wanna. I even stood across the street for a bit thinking about how much I didn't want to do it and whether I should just turn back home. I decided that I was thirsty and overheated enough that I really should stay out of the sun and in worst case I could always journal about how much I didn't want to do it. Just to fulfill the challenge goal. But that seemed boring too. So I thought to myself that I could at least log in and send my parents the screenshots they asked about. But since I already done "all that" I kept tinkering and it was boring and annoying, but it really wasn't *that* bad. Certainly not bad enough to warrant all that procrastination. REMEMBER THIS HATTER!!

• Like 6
  • That's Metal 1
6 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

plant semen

I love this term and will steal it so I can use it around unsuspecting innocents. 😈

• Haha 2

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

On 5/2/2024 at 12:31 PM, Everstorm said:

nnvBZzf.gif.a863caadb3f0d40e73e5e5a406e29b07.gif

I fucking love this pony. 

On 5/2/2024 at 11:11 AM, Mad Hatter said:

I have a challenge problem. I fail every one, but keep trying. Some might call it madness, some tenacity.

I like your persistence. 

On 5/2/2024 at 11:11 AM, Mad Hatter said:

Instead of tackling things head on, I'm taking a three-pronged approach, a combo of managing my energy, my environment and my emotions. In theory, when these are aligned I won't need schedules or to do lists (except as reminders) and thus won't rebel against them. 

Good luck. I feel like we have at least some similar brain wrangling issues, if for different reasons. 

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

On 5/4/2024 at 1:20 AM, Scaly Freak said:

I love this term and will steal it so I can use it around unsuspecting innocents. 😈

It's delightful, wish I knew who I stole it from.

On 5/4/2024 at 8:11 PM, Harriet said:

I fucking love this pony. 

I like your persistence. 

Good luck. I feel like we have at least some similar brain wrangling issues, if for different reasons. 

It's glorious. 

The "persistence" or the madness? 😛  

Yes. I don't seem to have a reason for mine, it's frustrating. 

• Like 1

End of zero week update

Energy

#1 Sleep - Pretty good. The getting ready as soon as I’m tired has been surprisingly helpful.

#2 Hydrate - Just about making it, only missed yesterday by one glass.

#3 Don’t wreck myself in the gym - Haven’t even been, oops.

Environment

#1 Web blockers - YT is making it easier and easier to not want to use. Their aggressive crackdown on ad blockers is pissing me off, so I moved my subscriptions to an old school rss feed. It feels so nice and clean to not get any new recommendations. I also installed SponsorBlock (how did I not know about it until now?!) though I’m not even sure I need it for my feed after my aggressive cull.

#2 Use music - Not consciously

#3 Go outside - I’ve been outside a lot, but because summer, not to change mood.

Emotions

I keep distracting myself from doing the things I really want to do or need to do. Some of it is disguised as usefulness, like clearing out my grandma’s junk, or organizing my web environment. Sometimes it’s something enjoyable like reading or playing games. But that’s not making. Or I do a bunch of research, which is also not making.

I also feel very distracted by the random interruptions, like carers coming in, phone calls, grandma misplacing her stuff for the millionth time… It’s like a brain reset each time and it’s really, really annoying.

Things I’ve done

• Finished my bike, including all the bits and bobs
  • Finished Night Watch
  • Went to my other grandparents for dinner and got monologued at until my brain turned liquid
  • Played Strange Horticulture and pretended I’m a witch
  • Threw away a bunch of junk to reduce the number of grandma’s hiding places
  • Started reading a book about dinosaur evolution
  • Filled a jar with paper slips with the name of an animal on each. Now when I want something to draw I can just reach into the jar and pick something at random! It’s an attempt to make drawing easy and comforting, instead of getting scared away by overly ambitious ideas.
  • Like 7
59 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Filled a jar with paper slips with the name of an animal on each. Now when I want something to draw I can just reach into the jar and pick something at random! It’s an attempt to make drawing easy and comforting, instead of getting scared away by overly ambitious ideas

Good idea!

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

3 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

#2 Use music - Not consciously

1. I don't get a vote, but if I did, I'd vote that performing the behavior constitutes a pass. Unconsciously doing the GOOD THING is arguably better??

2. Can we haz music recommendations? 

Can I haz book info?

• Filled a jar with paper slips with the name of an animal on each. Now when I want something to draw I can just reach into the jar and pick something at random! It’s an attempt to make drawing easy and comforting, instead of getting scared away by overly ambitious ideas.

This is so delightful.

• Like 1

Level 38 [Raveling Bard]

5 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

YT is making it easier and easier to not want to use. Their aggressive crackdown on ad blockers is pissing me off

Me too. So bad.

Played Strange Horticulture and pretended I’m a witch

I don't know what this is but pretending to be a witch sounds great.

Is it rise of the dinosaurs by Steve brusatte? I read that and have now started his book on mammals. cool stuff

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

Good for you working on your parent's website even though you didn't want to. That is a big win.

It sounds like you have been doing a lot of things, although most are things you don't especially want to do. That takes a lot of energy. No surprise that you do not have creative energy left after all that work.

Went to my other grandparents for dinner and got monologued at until my brain turned liquid

My grandmother used to go off on rants. I had them numbered. "Why you need to write thank-you notes" was one of her favorites. I found I could get her to talk about other things by asking questions. "Grandma, what games did you and your friends play when you were young?" "How did you handle X before the invention of Y?" "Who was your favorite teacher in school?"  Questions on personal history are good.

I found it helpful to have a premade-list of things I could ask her about to deflect the conversation onto a safe topic. It might still be a monologue, but at least you can influence the subject.

• Like 3

Level 77  Viking paladin

My current challenge  Battle log 

On 5/2/2024 at 10:11 AM, Mad Hatter said:

Figure out why I'm procrastinating - Am I overwhelmed? Do I know how to do the thing? Am I bogged down by expectations? Can I break it down, or make it easier?

Taking a copy of this list for my own use. 

8 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Finished Night Watch

Love this, I think Night Watch is my favourite Pratchett book. 

8 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Filled a jar with paper slips with the name of an animal on each. Now when I want something to draw I can just reach into the jar and pick something at random! It’s an attempt to make drawing easy and comforting, instead of getting scared away by overly ambitious ideas.

Also stalking this idea, or something like it - anything that takes away the decision barrier before drawing.

• Like 2

Level 21 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 18  -  CON: 22  -  CHA: 11  -  SAN: 19  -  INT: 17

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Witty title goes here

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 67 68 69 70 71 72

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map - 2022 road map/wrap-up

On 5/6/2024 at 1:39 PM, Everstorm said:

Good idea!

Used exactly zero times so far. 🫠

On 5/6/2024 at 2:45 PM, Rookie said:

Sneaking Elmer Fudd GIF by Looney Tunes

I appreciate the sneaky approach ❤️

4qlapv.gif&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=2e286330ed1fcb

On 5/6/2024 at 4:29 PM, Laghail said:

1. I don't get a vote, but if I did, I'd vote that performing the behavior constitutes a pass. Unconsciously doing the GOOD THING is arguably better??

2. Can we haz music recommendations? 

Can I haz book info?

This is so delightful.

I'd agree, as long as I'm consciously engaging with the music and don't just treat it as background noise.

Oh, I don't know about recommendations - my music's all over the place! I'll take a look what's in my most recently played list when I get back home.

This is the book, but I haven't read enough to say I recommend it yet https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/41817392-dinosaurs-rediscovered

On 5/6/2024 at 4:58 PM, sylph said:

loop GIF

here for looney-ness. :)

Meep meep!

On 5/6/2024 at 6:15 PM, Harriet said:

Me too. So bad.

I don't know what this is but pretending to be a witch sounds great.

Is it rise of the dinosaurs by Steve brusatte? I read that and have now started his book on mammals. cool stuff

I'm loving my new YT. I signed out, added a browser mod to hide the recommended section, and one that changes all titles to be less clickbaity. And that's only when I'm interested in the comments, typically I watch via my RSS feed. Which is almost empty. Fantastic.

The Steam description is occult puzzle game - fun for a few hours.

Nope, but that might have to be next on the list so I can compare!

On 5/6/2024 at 6:45 PM, Mistr said:

Good for you working on your parent's website even though you didn't want to. That is a big win.

It sounds like you have been doing a lot of things, although most are things you don't especially want to do. That takes a lot of energy. No surprise that you do not have creative energy left after all that work.

My grandmother used to go off on rants. I had them numbered. "Why you need to write thank-you notes" was one of her favorites. I found I could get her to talk about other things by asking questions. "Grandma, what games did you and your friends play when you were young?" "How did you handle X before the invention of Y?" "Who was your favorite teacher in school?"  Questions on personal history are good.

I found it helpful to have a premade-list of things I could ask her about to deflect the conversation onto a safe topic. It might still be a monologue, but at least you can influence the subject.

Huge win!

Maybe... I feel like I spend most of my time doing nothing. I even tried to track it at one point, but most of my time is mystery time!

The thing is, I just don't care. I don't like my granddad, he's a quack and I find him obnoxious. He keeps talking about how he went to school in a castle and how awesome he is, and he keeps telling me what I should like instead of, like, asking me. Recently, he called me spoiled, because my dad wasn't murdered as a child like his was. 🙄 I might be spoiled for other reasons, but at least I don't have to get my socks ironed for me.

On 5/6/2024 at 9:02 PM, Jarric said:

Love this, I think Night Watch is my favourite Pratchett book. 

Also stalking this idea, or something like it - anything that takes away the decision barrier before drawing.

It's a fantastic book, but quite different in tone from most (?) of his other books.

That's the idea! Since you like drawing characters maybe one idea could be to keep drawing the same character, but with different costumes/expressions/poses?

• Like 7

Can't believe it's already Friday! How does this keep happening?

Energy

#1 Sleep - Went to bed on time all but one day, but still sleeping too little and am tired all the time. How rude.

#2 Hydrate - Missed one day.

#3 Don’t wreck myself in the gym - Weeeell funny story. I haven't been to the gym because I... got impaled by a sewing needle. I'll spare you the gross foot close up, but almost the entire needle went in, blunt side first, and walking has been a bit painful.

Environment

#1 Web blockers - Doing ok here!

#2 Use music - Keep forgetting to be mindful about it.

#3 Go outside - Today I noticed how irritable I started to get from the lack of walking and outside time. So I went out despite the foot soreness.

Emotions

It's really hard to pay attention, especially when I'm tired or suffer from the don't wannas. I also noticed that it's much easier to get going if I do something physical first, like walking to a coffee shop or cleaning out junk. Except when, ironically, I'm meant to do something physical like going to the gym.

Things I’ve done

• Most of the website, including the copy! I hate both reading and writing like that, it's a pile of garbage, but it's something and my parents will be happy. I don't know why I'm surprised, but here I am, surprised that it took so little time once I got stuck into it.
  • Cleaned out another tonne of grandma's junk. Why does anyone need 25 wooden spatulas, whyyy? I only have a few cupboards left to go through. There's a lot of stuff I can't throw away myself, but I'm still sorting it so that it will be easier for my family to go through when the time comes.
  • Watched the bouldering world cup.
  • Picked up a pencil, once... I am very rusty.
  • Stuff?

• Like 4
  • Wow 2
2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

He keeps talking about how he went to school in a castle and how awesome he is, and he keeps telling me what I should like instead of, like, asking me. Recently, he called me spoiled, because my dad wasn't murdered as a child like his was. 🙄 I might be spoiled for other reasons, but at least I don't have to get my socks ironed for me.

Yikes.

2 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Weeeell funny story. I haven't been to the gym because I... got impaled by a sewing needle. I'll spare you the gross foot close up, but almost the entire needle went in, blunt side first, and walking has been a bit painful.

Yikes again. 

2 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

It's really hard to pay attention, especially when I'm tired or suffer from the don't wannas. I also noticed that it's much easier to get going if I do something physical first, like walking to a coffee shop or cleaning out junk. Except when, ironically, I'm meant to do something physical like going to the gym.

So... identify what you should do, then do something else instead (but maybe something incidentally useful or enjoyable?) procrastinate on study by going to gym, procrastinate on gym by studying. WIN!

• Like 2