Forums are back in action! ×

7/17/15 - Friday

The other thing that tracks about down with the amount of KBs thrown around is the fragility of my back...

This morning I hit the KBs hard.

This afternoon I bent down to pick up a towel and threw my back out.

This evening I went to a trail and did a lap (8 miles) at an easy pace, being careful not to do anything that would make my back worse.  I took a minute of my fastest lap time.  I kind of feel like Strava is messing with me, 'cause I didn't feel like I earned a PR tonight.

Tomorrow I'll see if I can get some body work done.

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

Taking Benadryl at night still affects me the next day. It's like I think I sleep real soundly, but I must not be in the right phase of sleep or something. One night is ok, after several nights, the whole world is bleary.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

That's why I try to avoid most medications, they affect me in strange ways...I'm either a zombie or bouncing off the walls unable to sleep for days at a time...there is no happy medium where it just does what it's supposed to without screwing up my system

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: Life is not Always SET

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

Taking Benadryl at night still affects me the next day. It's like I think I sleep real soundly, but I must not be in the right phase of sleep or something. One night is ok, after several nights, the whole world is bleary.

That's why I try to avoid most medications, they affect me in strange ways...I'm either a zombie or bouncing off the walls unable to sleep for days at a time...there is no happy medium where it just does what it's supposed to without screwing up my system

Yes, the whole world was bleary and I was a zombie.  I'm not sure if that was better than me staying up all night wheezing.  I probably shouldn't have taken double doses, last night I went off of it and I didn't fall asleep until 6am, luckily my family sleeps late.

7/18/15 - Saturday

Easy 17 mile bike ride on the road in 1:15.  No PRs were set.  After I mow the lawn and stuff I'll do 15 or 20 minutes of Yoga for your hips.  The hips seem top be the keystone to my whole body.

Fringed-Skirt-4web-.gif

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Look at you starting a challenge and stealing powers.  Awesome.  

And, by the way, any and all PRs are earned.  Don't cut yourself short.  At least I see I am not alone in the negative self talk.  It is pervasive.  

• Like 2

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

Sloth is stealing a page from X-men!!

Sent via two swallows carrying a message in a coconut.

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

Look at you starting a challenge and stealing powers.  Awesome.  

And, by the way, any and all PRs are earned.  Don't cut yourself short.  At least I see I am not alone in the negative self talk.  It is pervasive.  

Thanks, you're right I did earn it; I spent weeks learning and practicing my cornering.  

Sloth is stealing a page from X-men!!

Sent via two swallows carrying a message in a coconut.

I have no idea what this means.

b1e94dacc69937d8674d853afdb2ae8c92419649

• Like 1

The X-men reference is to one of the characters in the X-men pantheon (you might be familiar with Wolverine of the X-men). The character's name is Rogue and her mutant ability is to be able to steal other people's ability by touching them. If your interested in more here is the link to info about her:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_(comics)

• Like 1

Viking Adventurer

Battle Log: Bearlee is ...

I'm back on my Battle Log.  It suits my mindset better; I'm not really into overcoming challenges, I deal with the day to day grind.

Since I last posted in my challenge I've picked up the hammer again. I'm trying to get used to it again ahead of the Hammer Race.  I'm ten pounds heavier and in worse shape than last year.  We'll see how it goes.

I have a rough plan for the next year:

Now - Hammer Time.

Next - Simple & Shovelglove - daily workouts 10X10 swings, a few get ups, maybe some lunges, hammer time.

After (Thanksgiving) - Simple & Serious Endurance - a StrongFirst program, mostly lots of swings.

Short respite

After (Winter Break?) - 10,000 swing challenge - Dan John's version, more KB swings.

Short respite

After - start biking seriously, indoors or out. Three days a week do a sandbag workout (Onnit program)

Summer - Bike a lot, do DDP Yoga.

Now that I've written this down my stupid brain will decide to change things.   Things may change if we travel over winter/spring break (still trying to sell the missus on Texas) or if I spend a big part of the winter sick again.

Sleep is my nemesis.  I've been sleeping on Slothboy's floor.  My theory has been that Mrs. Sloth's snoring is the cause of my waking up exhausted.  However, I'm still waking up exhausted, so the issue is me.  I dont know what to do here.  I still blame her for my nearly deaf left ear.

My belly is another nemesis.  I may jump back into the challenge boards to deal with food at some point.

• Like 11

Sunday 9/25/16

I picked up our new foster dog.  A chihuahua.  I'm allergic to her, but we likely won't have her long.

When Jitters was a regular around here he'd post his random acts of kindness.  That inspired me to be more mindful of opportunities to help strangers.  One thing I've noticed is that the severly obese need help much more often than others and that people try hard to ignore them.  For example, at the Ren Fest I helped some folks with simple things like picking up dropped items and closing a port-a-potty door.  

Training: three rounds of Shovelglove with a 12# hammer.

Eating: Ate festival food like an arsehole.  I don't regret it.

We went to the Ren Fest (not attempting that without spell check).  It was a good time.  The ladies wore their nobility costumes, Slothboy added wings to his dinosaur costume and was a dragon; he got a ton of attention.  I didn't wear a costume, but I did wear an embroidered dragon shirt.  One of the summer goals that I forgot to do was putting a decent costume together. In a nod toward authenticity the festival grounds were a mud pit.

This should be my typical format:

Dear Diary

Training

Eating

Nerd Stuff

• Like 9

On September 26, 2016 at 0:41 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Found you. I don't follow many battlelogs, but you are worth coming over here to follow my friend.

I'm honored; I was expecting to lose your encouragement. 

23 hours ago, mr_willes said:

Don't mind me, i was just checking some boxes over here.

OwVdk_f-maxage-0.gif

It's nice to see you here. 

23 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

Ren Fest sounds amazing. And Battle Log or Challenge, it doesn't matter.

7155ed15590ad183237f8bd6aa79b43ac1b8c4f5

Ren Fest is always a good time.  We didn't see anything that stood out this time, but just the regular jousting, for show, mermaids, etc is awesome.

23 hours ago, Big_Show said:

Found you!

Awesome.

18 hours ago, maegs said:

following! :) 

:) 

• Like 2

9/26/16 Monday

Not much to report. It was a bleary, sleep-deprived day. I told the principal that if a second or third grade position opened up for next year that I'd take it. I need a change of pace.

Training: no. Sleep issues. I have to train at 5 am; I'm thinking about trying a pre workout to help get me going. Any advice?

Eating: I bought a bunch of fund-raiser chocolate from an eighth grader. I don't have any chocolate left. I don't even like it all that much.

Nerd: I started working on Star Trek TOS again.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I started working on Star Trek TOS again.

WOOT!!!

• Like 1

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

6 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Not much to report. It was a bleary, sleep-deprived day. I told the principal that if a second or third grade position opened up for next year that I'd take it. I need a change of pace.

That sounds like a good idea. I know you're still recovering from last year and a different age group might help you "get well" faster.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

52 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Training: no. Sleep issues. I have to train at 5 am; I'm thinking about trying a pre workout to help get me going. Any advice?

I have limited experience with pre-workout. One scoop of Cellucor C4 seems to do what it's supposed to, I always feel more energized when I work out. Two scoops feels slightly excessive and three scoops makes my face tingle and the hairs on my arms stand on end like they're being summoned by a snake charmer. I don't recommend three.

• Like 3

Rebel Scum Current Challenge

14 hours ago, EricMN said:

I have limited experience with pre-workout. One scoop of Cellucor C4 seems to do what it's supposed to, I always feel more energized when I work out. Two scoops feels slightly excessive and three scoops makes my face tingle and the hairs on my arms stand on end like they're being summoned by a snake charmer. I don't recommend three.

I'm thinking three sounds like fun.... ;) 

Kidding, but that description made me laugh!

• Like 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: Life is not Always SET

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda