The Frugal Adventurers Club

On 1/13/2024 at 7:38 PM, Sepherina said:

I don’t have any other major discretionary spend planned for this week.  We are shelling out over 7k for college tuition in the next few weeks for minions and that sticker shock alone will keep me from wanting to purchase needless things to clutter the house with.

I hear you on the tuition-burn. I have my own tuition payments coming up next week, and I'm feeling a little scalded. Just the thought of buying anything makes me vertiginous.

Weekend spending included groceries (less than planned) and a delivery of Chinese food (in line with planned), and I'm pretty content. I get another (possibly final) bag of produce on Tuesday, and I'm well-stocked with staples. I haven't wanted to eat much in the last couple weeks, and have been reaching for toast and milk and nuts more than anything else, all of which are already on hand.

I don't think I'm spending much this coming week, which is always nice.

❤️ 

• Like 5

&Heidi

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid  Level 12 Philosopher and level 11 Librarian (built on the Monk class, with a training path in The Way of the Cobalt Soul)

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | :: 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 |

Shaman: 82 | 83 | 84

Philosopher-Librarian 85 |:: 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

This looks yummy. 

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore before you decide to be happy” -Nightbirde

“Dreams do not come true all by themselves. They are nourished by the bounty of hard work”  -Unknown Disney Imagineer

2024 Word

Svastha: Standing in One’s Own Power

Current Challenge:

Sepherina: Slow and Steady Wins the Race

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 , #6 , #7 , #8 , #9#10#11, #12

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

Re-did my budget yesterday to account for current expenses and income, and to work out what to do for savings over the next year. Re-affirmed how much I need to focus on spending, because there is almost no margin in those numbers right now.

Still, spending has been very low this month, so I think it can be done.

• Like 5

Level 21 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 18  -  CON: 22  -  CHA: 11  -  SAN: 19  -  INT: 17

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Witty title goes here

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 67 68 69 70 71 72

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map - 2022 road map/wrap-up

Just found out yesterday that I got paid less than expected last month, and I will be this month, February and March. Apparently I've been undertaxed up until this point, so I end up with the right amount of money for the year, but this isn't super helpful for my very to-the-wire budget right now. Even more reason to keep track of everything and keep accountable here I suppose.

How's everyone else's weeks going?

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Level 21 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 67 68 69 70 71 72

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map - 2022 road map/wrap-up

3 hours ago, Jarric said:

Just found out yesterday that I got paid less than expected last month, and I will be this month, February and March. Apparently I've been undertaxed up until this point, so I end up with the right amount of money for the year, but this isn't super helpful for my very to-the-wire budget right now. Even more reason to keep track of everything and keep accountable here I suppose.

O wow, what a rough patch and just when the wiggle room is so tight, too!

Sorry Jarric, that's a bummer. I'm glad it won't go on longer than one quarter, and sending solidairty.

My credit card balances are now officially 0, and I'm waiting for the various reporting agencies to catch up to the new balances. It's been fun watching the "Credit Card Use" index drop a little each week. I expect the final balances will all be reported by the end of the challenge.  I've set up automatic payments on the consolidation loan, and made an extra payment up front to help eat away at the interst as soon as possible.

I'm not spending much, especially given that I need to pay the movers in a few weeks, and that will be a not-insubstantial bill (100% worth it).

I dropped two classes and added a different one, which means I'll still have tuition for 3 classes, since the reimbursement rate is only 50% on the dropped ones. Even so, I feel like it's a better use of the funds. I had considered dropping everything, but I think this is a more balanced approach. Truth though: I probably won't take any classes at all in summer, and it will be nice not to have a tuition bill for a few months.

I put some money in savings, and am looking forward to adding to that after the move is complete. I know there will be a lot of fiddly expenses associated with the move, so I'm holding some funds in reserve for whatever is needed to make the transition as smooth and supportive as possible.

All in all, I'm feeling pretty centered. Nothing dramatic is happening, but all the small steps on all the many fronts are happening, and this feels good.

• Like 6

&Heidi

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid  Level 12 Philosopher and level 11 Librarian (built on the Monk class, with a training path in The Way of the Cobalt Soul)

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

A long one since it has been a minute:

Received notice of my updated mortgage escrow assessment. Due to the inability to file property tax exemption for the first year we were living here (have to own the house as of Jan 1st to be eligible) and therefore I had an escrow shortage which resulted in an additional $272.85/month being added to my escrow and therefore my mortgage to make up for it and ensure I had enough for this year. Unfortunately, insurance went up and I'm still in a shortage, but that shortage spread is only $65.84/month and would lower my payment $207.31. Due to estimated insurance increases for next year, my mortgage payment will only drop $151.13/month starting in March but that's quite alright. I'd rather it not drop as much and have a smaller shortage or, even better, no shortage at all come next year's analysis!

The Man traded in his old Apple Watch for a new one and put it on payment plan. Next month the phone bill will be outrageous with the new payment plus activation fee. At least I only have to deal with the inflated cost for February. Starting March, the activation fee will drop off, things will settle, and the mortgage decrease will help offset that bill and then some. I'll likely put that $151.13 minus whatever monthly phone bill increase is into savings or towards debt as if the mortgage payment never decreased.

I have one more tax document which, if I receive it at all, will be arriving by Feb 15th. I'm going to attempt, for the first time ever, to do taxes myself. I've used HR Block for several years due to investments and rolling over Traditional IRA from my old company's retirement fund into my personal Roth IRA and the complications that includes. This year, I have one savings account which accrued enough to require a 1099-INT form. The last document I'd be getting is a 1099-R from my investment. I don't believe I made enough in dividends to actually receive one (I haven't in the last 2 years), but I would rather wait and be on the safe side. It is a set it and forget it so I really am unsure. With that said, I'm using HR Block's online tax filing system and paying the extra $30 to get a tax professional's advice if I need it for whatever reason as I learn the process. If all goes well, it'll only cost me $65 (plus tax, ironically) which is much much much better than the $350 I paid last year for the lady to do it all (this was IRA rollover stuff plus new home buyer stuff so it was rather complicated and well worth the cost of somebody doing it for me).

The Man is gone on business next week so the only meals I need to plan for us both is Sunday and Friday. I'm more flexible with meals. I'm willing to eat leftovers or use excess from one meal to make up another. For example, I have leftover ground venison from homemade Crunchwraps last night that I plan on using for a taco salad tomorrow for lunch. The Man is not so flexible in that way (willingly). Hopefully this means the grocery bill will be much smaller and help offset some of the other upcoming expenses. This paycheck (Friday) will be covering the last inflated mortgage payment plus the other first-of-the-month Big Bills so I'm happy for the timing of the grocery reduction.

Last note: both the dogs are due for annual vaccinations. I went ahead and scheduled them for their annual wellness exams next Friday and will get vaccines then. Hopefully it won't be too pricey. I at least have pet insurance to help offset but it's on a reimbursement basis so it'll only help once all the paperwork is filed. Will adjust budget as needed to make it work. Their health is worth it because my mental health would go down the drain without them and annual vaccines/exams are more affordable than regularly visiting therapy ❤️

• Like 6

You don't have to be perfect, you just have to be better than you were before. Do that every day and you will succeed.

Like some of you, it's been a while! 

6 hours ago, Jarric said:

That is rough, I'm sorry. I also got the dreaded 'you've paid too little tax' letter, though I swear my tax contributions are high as it is. The paperwork they give you that shows how they supposedly calculated it doesn't actually help in my opinion. 

2 hours ago, Heidi said:

O wow, what a rough patch and just when the wiggle room is so tight, too!

Sorry Jarric, that's a bummer. I'm glad it won't go on longer than one quarter, and sending solidairty.

My credit card balances are now officially 0, and I'm waiting for the various reporting agencies to catch up to the new balances. It's been fun watching the "Credit Card Use" index drop a little each week. I expect the final balances will all be reported by the end of the challenge.  I've set up automatic payments on the consolidation loan, and made an extra payment up front to help eat away at the interst as soon as possible.

I'm not spending much, especially given that I need to pay the movers in a few weeks, and that will be a not-insubstantial bill (100% worth it).

I dropped two classes and added a different one, which means I'll still have tuition for 3 classes, since the reimbursement rate is only 50% on the dropped ones. Even so, I feel like it's a better use of the funds. I had considered dropping everything, but I think this is a more balanced approach. Truth though: I probably won't take any classes at all in summer, and it will be nice not to have a tuition bill for a few months.

I put some money in savings, and am looking forward to adding to that after the move is complete. I know there will be a lot of fiddly expenses associated with the move, so I'm holding some funds in reserve for whatever is needed to make the transition as smooth and supportive as possible.

All in all, I'm feeling pretty centered. Nothing dramatic is happening, but all the small steps on all the many fronts are happening, and this feels good.

Yay for 0 balance on the credit cards! Investing in movers sounds like 100% a wise call. 

35 minutes ago, Darciana said:

A long one since it has been a minute:

Received notice of my updated mortgage escrow assessment. Due to the inability to file property tax exemption for the first year we were living here (have to own the house as of Jan 1st to be eligible) and therefore I had an escrow shortage which resulted in an additional $272.85/month being added to my escrow and therefore my mortgage to make up for it and ensure I had enough for this year. Unfortunately, insurance went up and I'm still in a shortage, but that shortage spread is only $65.84/month and would lower my payment $207.31. Due to estimated insurance increases for next year, my mortgage payment will only drop $151.13/month starting in March but that's quite alright. I'd rather it not drop as much and have a smaller shortage or, even better, no shortage at all come next year's analysis!

The Man traded in his old Apple Watch for a new one and put it on payment plan. Next month the phone bill will be outrageous with the new payment plus activation fee. At least I only have to deal with the inflated cost for February. Starting March, the activation fee will drop off, things will settle, and the mortgage decrease will help offset that bill and then some. I'll likely put that $151.13 minus whatever monthly phone bill increase is into savings or towards debt as if the mortgage payment never decreased.

I have one more tax document which, if I receive it at all, will be arriving by Feb 15th. I'm going to attempt, for the first time ever, to do taxes myself. I've used HR Block for several years due to investments and rolling over Traditional IRA from my old company's retirement fund into my personal Roth IRA and the complications that includes. This year, I have one savings account which accrued enough to require a 1099-INT form. The last document I'd be getting is a 1099-R from my investment. I don't believe I made enough in dividends to actually receive one (I haven't in the last 2 years), but I would rather wait and be on the safe side. It is a set it and forget it so I really am unsure. With that said, I'm using HR Block's online tax filing system and paying the extra $30 to get a tax professional's advice if I need it for whatever reason as I learn the process. If all goes well, it'll only cost me $65 (plus tax, ironically) which is much much much better than the $350 I paid last year for the lady to do it all (this was IRA rollover stuff plus new home buyer stuff so it was rather complicated and well worth the cost of somebody doing it for me).

The Man is gone on business next week so the only meals I need to plan for us both is Sunday and Friday. I'm more flexible with meals. I'm willing to eat leftovers or use excess from one meal to make up another. For example, I have leftover ground venison from homemade Crunchwraps last night that I plan on using for a taco salad tomorrow for lunch. The Man is not so flexible in that way (willingly). Hopefully this means the grocery bill will be much smaller and help offset some of the other upcoming expenses. This paycheck (Friday) will be covering the last inflated mortgage payment plus the other first-of-the-month Big Bills so I'm happy for the timing of the grocery reduction.

Last note: both the dogs are due for annual vaccinations. I went ahead and scheduled them for their annual wellness exams next Friday and will get vaccines then. Hopefully it won't be too pricey. I at least have pet insurance to help offset but it's on a reimbursement basis so it'll only help once all the paperwork is filed. Will adjust budget as needed to make it work. Their health is worth it because my mental health would go down the drain without them and annual vaccines/exams are more affordable than regularly visiting therapy ❤️

Yikes that's a lot - glad the mortgage is coming down a little though. Fingers crossed with the doggo vaccinations. My cats had theirs a few weeks ago and OF COURSE one of them needed antibiotics for something. He ought really to have eye drops too (one eye gets a bit weepy and looks a bit red at the edges at times) but the little bugger point blank refuses them. When he had his first 'acute' course of them, we lost the battle so much that the OH was taking him to the vet every single morning for a week to have the vet put them in. He is, incidentally, a golden child at the vets. 🙄

I still haven't sorted out my budget. I know, I know! All I have so far is a list of all my accounts and roughly how much is in each of them. Honestly, the picture is a little more encouraging that I feared - now it is a case of being sensible and doing the best I can with my savings, and the small matter of dealing with the day to day expenditure. February brings with it car tax, paying for a holiday in Scotland in the summer and sorting out the cheapest way to get from Scotland down to Bristol for a friend's wedding the day after... I really, realy need to budget to make sure I'm not unintentionally dipping into the buffer or worse, using my savings. 

• Like 6

“All You Have To Decide Is What To Do With The Time That Is Given To You.” - Gandalf

Current Challenge: A Bold New Year

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|2728 29|30

The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Dúnedain Ranger: Vol I, Vol IIVol III, Interim| Vol IV|Vol V 

Hi All! 

Dave left today and is gone for two months, so time to square things up. I did buy myself a "you're holding down the fort" gift tonight that will arrive on Monday and I've bought groceries to batch cook chili for suppers. The plan going forward is to spend nothing except groceries for as long as I can and track it in a streak. 

One piece of benevolence was that Dave's checked luggage fees got waived at the airport today, which probably saved us $500+. Feeling very fortunate about that. He had many very heavy bags. 

I'll come back and comment on everyone's posts soon, for now I'm off to bed. Hugs if you want them! 

• Like 4

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

11 hours ago, Sovalis said:

The plan going forward is to spend nothing except groceries for as long as I can and track it in a streak. 

I really like this approach -- it worked well for me and continues to be a good form of gamification for non-spending without feeling like I'm failing.

18 hours ago, Rhovaniel said:

Yay for 0 balance on the credit cards! Investing in movers sounds like 100% a wise call. 

Thank you! I feel pretty solid about the movers, and am glad that for the first time in my life I have the luxury of choosing this. I am blessed, for certain. 2024 is the year of investing in myself.

I spent a pretty penny on some new boots, which seems a little wasteful after having just posted about the hiking boots from 2016 that I still own and love. Yes, I could continue to make due without waterproof "workaday" boots, but it's going on four years, and I miss having a presentable option to wear when I go on office-type errands. The pair I've been watching went on sale, so I picked them up. This is also a luxury --being able to wait, as well as being able to choose yes when they are on sale. I'm pretty certain I'll still have and love these boots in 5 years, so feel free to check in and ask :) 

• Like 5

&Heidi

Spoiler

22 minutes ago, Heidi said:

I really like this approach -- it worked well for me and continues to be a good form of gamification for non-spending without feeling like I'm failing.

Thank you! I feel pretty solid about the movers, and am glad that for the first time in my life I have the luxury of choosing this. I am blessed, for certain. 2024 is the year of investing in myself.

I spent a pretty penny on some new boots, which seems a little wasteful after having just posted about the hiking boots from 2016 that I still own and love. Yes, I could continue to make due without waterproof "workaday" boots, but it's going on four years, and I miss having a presentable option to wear when I go on office-type errands. The pair I've been watching went on sale, so I picked them up. This is also a luxury --being able to wait, as well as being able to choose yes when they are on sale. I'm pretty certain I'll still have and love these boots in 5 years, so feel free to check in and ask :) 

I love the idea of knowing you long enough that in five years I can ask. ❤️ 

• Like 5

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

Also been quiet, I'm having life/relationship changes that will change how I spend money in the next year. 

Today I sat down with my Conscious Spending Plan and realize how much cash I will have on me weekly. Being a single adult I'm on the boat of REALLY having to cut back on food, especially with some higher items I keep for my cats (we will all eat well to keep us healthy, but there are days where no one wants to eat the chicken lol... at least I can save mine for leftovers ;) ). 

Everyone cool with a meal plan check-in, weekly? Might just have to do move it to my own challenge. But wowzah the amount of brain work to plan, execute and eat what you made is something else. 

• Like 4

On 1/24/2024 at 9:20 AM, Jarric said:

YIKES!

It’s been quiet over here too. Trying to not shop or go to the grocery store more than once week.  Minion #2 turns 19 tomorrow so we did a birthday dinner out. I still need to buy them a gift, but hoping that it runs me less than $50.  Minion #3 has a winter dance coming up.  We are going window shopping for a dress this weekend, but if she doesn’t see anything she likes (or in mom’s budget) she has a dress.  

In our tax lives, I had to file an appeal with the state of Pennsylvania around our 2020 taxes.  Now the auditor is asking me about if a payment was made, except I am pretty sure we got a refund that year….sigh. Going to double check and make sure that was the case and that I didn’t make a payment. This means I probably need to trek to the bank since I can’t access statements that far back.  It is entirely frustrating dealing with anything tax related especially with something almost 4 years back.

We do have some large expenses coming up. The hubs tagged a deer a few weeks ago.  Damaged the passenger headlight and dented the hood.  Deer was fine as was every one else.  Have no idea how much the repair will be.  Mechanic is still looking for a part. My car desperately needs a very pricey repair that we have been putting off (probably around 2k).  We think it is the rear differential or maybe the transfer case. Our regular mechanic referred us to a guy specialized in these repairs for non-rip off price.

Honestly I feel like I am robbing Peter to pay Paul.  We have money in savings to use, but that money is supposed to go for new windows or a kitchen remodel and not all this stupid life crap.

• Like 3

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore before you decide to be happy” -Nightbirde

“Dreams do not come true all by themselves. They are nourished by the bounty of hard work”  -Unknown Disney Imagineer

2024 Word

Current Challenge:

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

3 hours ago, Loveable_Bouncer said:

Everyone cool with a meal plan check-in, weekly? Might just have to do move it to my own challenge. But wowzah the amount of brain work to plan, execute and eat what you made is something else. 

I am game.  I usually try to get this done between Thur-Sat weekly.

• Like 2

2024 Word

Current Challenge:

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

14 hours ago, Loveable_Bouncer said:

I don't tend to plan like this, but very much interested is seeing how others do it. My main strategy is just to make massive meals, and then have the leftovers for lunches on subsequent days.

10 hours ago, Sepherina said:

Honestly I feel like I am robbing Peter to pay Paul.  We have money in savings to use, but that money is supposed to go for new windows or a kitchen remodel and not all this stupid life crap.

That sucks. On the bright side, at least you have the savings to cover unexpected costs, even if that's not how you want to spend them. Think how much worse it would be if you hadn't had the foresight to put some more away for the future.

• Like 3

Level 21 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

Spoiler

12 hours ago, Sepherina said:

It’s been quiet over here too. Trying to not shop or go to the grocery store more than once week.  Minion #2 turns 19 tomorrow so we did a birthday dinner out. I still need to buy them a gift, but hoping that it runs me less than $50.  Minion #3 has a winter dance coming up.  We are going window shopping for a dress this weekend, but if she doesn’t see anything she likes (or in mom’s budget) she has a dress.  

May there be joy in the process of gifting and window shopping!

In our tax lives, I had to file an appeal with the state of Pennsylvania around our 2020 taxes.  Now the auditor is asking me about if a payment was made, except I am pretty sure we got a refund that year….sigh. Going to double check and make sure that was the case and that I didn’t make a payment. This means I probably need to trek to the bank since I can’t access statements that far back.  It is entirely frustrating dealing with anything tax related especially with something almost 4 years back.

Ugh and Hugs! I personally hate doing taxes and having old stuff pop up that doesn't quite make sense is exhausting... I hope things go for the better after you find answers. 

The upside is the money is there, and life just decided to give you the "nope, not yet..." 

100% figuring out what your current priorities are right now, and the long game... 

I personally also have felt dismayed on this and would give  up. Hope we can help you keep marching on!

• Like 2

I am game.  I usually try to get this done between Thur-Sat weekly.

Nice! I personally do the same as my main job is a bit chill for me to write it out. Just need to remember to plan foods I actually have time to prepare... 

1 hour ago, Jarric said:

I don't tend to plan like this, but very much interested is seeing how others do it. My main strategy is just to make massive meals, and then have the leftovers for lunches on subsequent days.

If you have a system that works for you, why not stick with it? 

My issue is I usually need to plan/make the meals for lunches for the week since I'm still working 2 jobs that end late enough that the idea of cooking is just as bad as pulling teeth every night. 

I'm going down to less hours starting in February but having a plan is 100% helpful on willpower, cost and hopefully after enough practice energy. 

---

For my meal planning I realize I actually need to meal plan through next Sunday. 

I have a 4 day weekend next weekend (birthday weekend!), but am pretty busy this weekend/next weekend. 

With that I also realized I will be needing to stock up on my cat food and ran out of cat litter which  a bit more expense full. 

Aka money is being directed to the cats, but I also need enough food that is approximately 27 meals and 14 servings of snacks.  (With next Saturday's being on the go meals). 

Meals Planned so far from Cupboard: 

• (1 meal) 1 can of soup w/ a baked potato or cooked wild rice w/ serving of frozen peas  (I had these for lunch this week and so glad I only have more, as I loath it). 
  • (4 meals) Lentil pasta with tomato sauce and cheese (throw in a fried onion for veggies)

I also have some oranges and pears for snacks, but just a handful of servings. 

Things to use up I will be working on to my meal plan: wild rice, frozen peas, canned chickpeas, a couple canned white beans, 1 blackeyed beans. TOFU - have to use it now. Along with Temph in the freezer. 

• Like 4

Meals planned for next week

Spoiler

Potato Sausage Kale Soup

Winter Kale Salad

Chicken curry flatbreads

Braised beef with Cavatelli (Crockpot)

Pork pineapple fried rice with dumplings 

The only meat I don’t have for these meals is the Sausage for the soup.  I have the Kale.  Potatoes and pineapple are also on sale this week.  I will make grocery list tomorrow.

The grocery list.  I am pretty type A about this section.  There are estimated prices for our area as well as where I think I may get the best deal.  There are a few items here I am buying in bulk (like soy sauce at a local Asian market) and some money budgeted towards sales for future meals.  My guess is I will be within 10% of this mark.

Spoiler

Overall Estimate ($174 reg, sale buys $45 - Total $219)

Dairy Estimate ($27)

• [ ] Milk (Aldi - $5)
  • [ ] Heavy Cream (Aldi $6)
  • [ ] Eggs (Aldi - $4)
  • [ ] Mozzarella (sm Aldi $4)
  • [ ] Goat cheese (Sm Aldi $3)
  • [ ] Yogurt (Aldi $5)

Meat Estimate ($30 reg, $40 sale - $75 total)

• [ ] Sausage Italian (Aldi $5)
  • [ ] Bacon (Shop n Save $4)
  • [ ] Ground Turkey (Aldi $11)
  • [ ] Chicken Liver (Giant Eagle $11)
  • [ ] SALE- Pork Chops (Shop n Save $10 1.88/lb)
  • [ ] SALE - Ground Beef (Giant Eagle $3.99/lb $25)
  • [ ] SALE- Smoked Sausage (Shop n Save $5)

Produce Estimate ($31)

• [ ] Onions Yellow (Shop N Save $2)
  • [ ] Potatoes (Shop n Save $1)
  • [ ] Jalapeño (Giant Eagle $1 )
  • [ ] Cliantro (Aldi $2)
  • [ ] Ginger (WFH $5)
  • [ ] Brussel sprouts (Aldi $3)
  • [ ] Cabbage (Aldi $3)
  • [ ] Sweet potato (Aldi $4)
  • [ ] Pineapple (Aldi $2)
  • [ ] Bell Peppers (Aldi $4)
  • [ ] Green onions (Aldi $2)
  • [ ] Lime (Giant Eagle $1)
  • [ ] Cucumber (Aldi $1)

Pantry Estimate ($45)

• [ ] Chicken broth (Aldi $3)
  • [ ] Crushed Tomatos (Aldi $4 - I need 2-28 oz cans)
  • [ ] Pecans (Aldi $5)
  • [ ] Rice (Aldi $4)
  • [ ] Coffee (Aldi $9)
  • [ ] Soy sauce (WFH $5)
  • [ ] Snacks (Aldi $15)

Other ($9)

• [ ] Red wine (Giant Eagle $9)

Frozen Estimate ($32 reg, $5 sale - $37 Total )

• [ ] Dumplings (WFH $10)
  • [ ] Hashbrowns (Aldi $4)
  • [ ] Frozen mixed fruit (Aldi $8)
  • [ ] Peas ($3)
  • [ ] Corn ($3)
  • [ ] Green beans ($4)
  • [ ] SALE- Pierogies (Giant Eagle $5)

• Like 3

2024 Word

Current Challenge:

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

12 hours ago, Loveable_Bouncer said:

I personally also have felt dismayed on this and would give  up. Hope we can help you keep marching on!

Thanks. It is disappointing but small steps. This week, it is don’t break the bank on food.

12 hours ago, Loveable_Bouncer said:

My issue is I usually need to plan/make the meals for lunches for the week since I'm still working 2 jobs that end late enough that the idea of cooking is just as bad as pulling teeth every night. 

My life saver when my kids were younger and we were home late every night after I worked all day was the crockpot. You don’t even have to thaw the meat. Just throw stuff in, set it on low and dinner is done when you get home. Frozen veggies in microwave (or baked potatoes in there too) and you have a meal. 

• Like 2

2024 Word

Current Challenge:

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

11 hours ago, Sepherina said:

My life saver when my kids were younger and we were home late every night after I worked all day was the crockpot. You don’t even have to thaw the meat. Just throw stuff in, set it on low and dinner is done when you get home. Frozen veggies in microwave (or baked potatoes in there too) and you have a meal. 

I'd second this; it's quick to prep and it's so nice to come home to a warm meal and a house that smells of stew. I'd even stick all of the veg in the pot, so that I don't have to cook anything on the side.

• Like 3

Level 21 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

Spoiler

17 minutes ago, Jarric said:

I'd second this; it's quick to prep and it's so nice to come home to a warm meal and a house that smells of stew. I'd even stick all of the veg in the pot, so that I don't have to cook anything on the side.

Yep we do that too with potatoes/carrots/onions. But we also have access to some high quality, cheap frozen veggies (peas, corn, green beans) that are super quick to just throw in a bowl and microwave.

• Like 3

2024 Word

Current Challenge:

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

I spent some time on the phone with the bank this morning trying to get an expired debit card replaced so I can actually log in and see what my secondary and credit accounts are doing. I had called about this at the end of November and the card they were supposed to send me was apparently undeliverable through Canada Post and they didn’t contact me to let me know. So I have been waiting for it and it slipped my mind in the interim and now I am feeling frustrated because I have to make a two hour round trip to get the new one issued because they won’t try mailing it again. UGGGGGHHHHHH.  All of this is triggered by hitting my credit threshold again and I have to admit that I am having issues not spending on little pick me ups that are adding up. I don’t have buyers remorse for two of the purchases, but the one I made this morning is making me feel a little guilty. Have to sit with that. 

Payday is Tuesday so things aren’t dire, but I need to buckle down, Friends. This just isn’t cool and I’ve only got myself to blame this round. *sigh*

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sovalis said:

Payday is Tuesday so things aren’t dire, but I need to buckle down, Friends. This just isn’t cool and I’ve only got myself to blame this round. *sigh*

You got this!  And we all slip. It’s hard sometimes. 

• Like 2

2024 Word

Current Challenge:

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

19 hours ago, Sepherina said:

You got this!  And we all slip. It’s hard sometimes. 

Thank you. ❤️

I rolled my tip coin into tubes this morning and have enough to cover all of my splurge purchases this month so I am feeling relieved about that. I will accrue my tips before I spend them going forward and not hope to have enough to cover off what I have put on my card by the time I hit the end of the month. 

The chili batch is serving me well for suppers and I am going to bake bread today. 

Hope you’re all feeling fulfilled while saving your dollars. ❤️ 

• Like 3