Ranger Hal - Level 2 - The Safe House

Ranger Level 2 - The Safe House

20230520_122135(1).thumb.jpg.9e6b959643f49d7820f424602a4bc81a.jpg

Spoiler for story from Level 1 (in case you're curious about what happened previously)

Spoiler

“I know you weren’t planning to leave quite this soon, but we’ve had a number of reports of Needle Blights on the outskirts of the Veridian Forest. We need someone to deal with it before they attract even bigger problems. The Veridian was always a little dangerous anyway and most people stayed out of it, but we don’t need the denizens growing bold enough to attack travelers on the trade route through Kelton Junction. And while you’re in the area, there apparently used to be some sort of Ranger safe house near the edge of the forest, but many of the rangers from that area were lost in the war and I don’t think anyone has tried to use it for more than 30 years. It would be good to know if it still exists and can be used by other rangers as they travel through.”

Hal sat quietly for a moment before nodding. She’d hoped to get further in her studies in the city, but at least the travel would give her time to practice the new songs she’d learned. And it might be interesting to visit that area. Her uncle was one of those rangers lost in the war against the great evil, and although she’d never met him, she’d heard stories from her mother. She closed the journal containing all her notes and sketches and began packing for the journey. 

She picked up a set of woodcarver’s tools and a number of arrowheads on her way out of the city. Given the amount of time she was going to be away, running out of arrows was a real possibility. She didn’t know how to use the tools very well, but maybe given enough practice she could teach herself to make passable replacement arrows. 

Hal paused at the edge of the Veridian Forest. If the rumors she’d heard in the nearby town of Kelton Junction were true, something had caused an infestation of Needle Blights to take up residence deep in the wood.  The townsfolk wouldn’t trust a wandering ranger, of course. They’d barely tolerated her presence in the tavern last night. But something had to be done about the Blights. If they weren’t dealt with, the infestation would spread and attract other dangerous creatures. With a sigh, Hal shouldered her pack and stepped into the forest. 

Hal hadn't gotten very far into the woods when she heard some twigs snap and a Needle Blight stepped from behind a tree. Quickly pulling out her bow, the first shot was a little rushed but still managed to find its mark. 

After a powerful stab from one of her shortswords, the Needle Blight was clearly on its last legs, but still standing. 

As the Needle Blight turned to flee, another arrow from her longbow finished it off. Silence descended as Hal took a moment to gather her thoughts and resumed her trek through the forest. 

As Hal continued to move through the forest, the sound of trickling water caught her ear. Following the sound to investigate, she came across a natural spring bubbling out of a rocky section of ground. It was completely overgrown, but at one time it had clearly been visited often. Below the spring, a depression had been dug and lined with stones to make it easier to collect the clear water. As she stood, studying the spring, a rustling behind her caused Hal to spin, pulling out both her short swords. Another Needle Blight was trying to sneak up behind her. Her first stab missed, but her second just found its mark as the Needle Blight dodged back out of range of her swords. 

Hal fired an arrow (a solid hit) as the Needle Blight circled behind some trees…

...and as it darted forward for an attack, a stab from her shortsword finished it off. There was something about this abandoned spring that called to Hal, but now was not the time to restore it. There were still more Needle Blights in this infestation to deal with. Resolutely, she turned her back on the spring and headed north through the trees. 

Moving through a darker section of trees, this time, Hal spotted the Needle Blight before it saw her. She took careful aim with her longbow and fired an arrow that pierced deep between clumps of conifer-like needles. 

As the Needle Blight rushed in close, Hal got her shortswords up and two thrusts quickly finished it off. She pulled some travel cakes out of her pack. Best to eat now before she encountered more Needle Blights. 

Hal started moving further north through the trees. She must be getting near the center of the forest. Distracted by this thought, she didn't notice the Needle Blight, not moving, about 20 feet off her path. It noticed her, though, and shot a volley of piercing needles in her direction. The needles showered around her (21 to hit) and she felt the needles piercing through her armor (6 damage) as she turned to face this new enemy. 

Pushing through the pain, Hal moved in close to strike the Needle Blight and drove a shortsword in, wounding it deeply. The Needle Blight pulled away, moving back out of reach in surprise. 

Hal fired an arrow, but the Blight was moving too quickly and the arrow went wide. 

Hal stabbed the Needle Blight again with her shortsword, but it was already pulling away and didn't take as much damage as she'd hoped, and her second swing missed entirely. In spite of taking heavy damage earlier in the fight, this one seemed to be very good at dodging. 

Finally, with a well placed arrow, Hal managed to take down the slippery Needle Blight. Now that that was taken care of, she started to look around. She still had a number of the arrows she brought with her, but with little experience making new ones, she would need practice as her first attempts weren't likely to be successful. There was plenty of wood around for creating arrow shafts, but she was going to need feathers. Noticing signs of a flock of nine turkeys, she began to follow their tracks. 

Moving quietly, Hal approached a small clearing and spotted the turkeys foraging for food among the grass. 

Hal fired an arrow, but it went wide and lodged in a nearby tree. The turkeys were startled, but Hal froze and after a few minutes where there didn't appear to be any further danger, they went back to eating. 

After a second arrow missed, Hal decided that today was just not her day for archery and ran up to hit a turkey with one of her shortswords. The rest of the turkeys scattered, but she did manage to take down that one. It was not exactly what she'd hoped for, but it was a start. She made camp and settled down to pluck the turkey and cook it over a small fire, carefully saving as many feathers as she could. Her first attempt at making an arrow with her new woodcarver's tools was rather dismal, but that was to be expected. 

Hal spotted one more Needle Blight. She had seen fewer recent signs of them, suggesting that there weren't too many of them left in the forest. She fired an arrow, but again, it flew wide. After this fight, maybe she should check her bow in case it had been damaged. Normally she was a better shot than this. 

The Needle Blight charged in, but Hal drove it back with a solid stab from her shortsword. 

A solid arrow shot finished off the Needle Blight. Taking a break to rest, Hal attempted a few more arrows. Two were failures, but one looked like it just might work. As she began looking around, she found no further signs of Needle Blights, but she did pick up the trail of a couple more turkeys. Maybe she could gather some more feathers before starting on her next task. 

Now that the Needle Blight infestation in the Veridian Forest had been eliminated, it was time to search for the Ranger safe house. Hal’s thoughts returned to the overgrown spring that she’d seen earlier. Someone had lined the pool below the spring with stones to make it easier to collect water. And it wasn’t too far from the south edge of the forest. That seemed like a good place to start looking for the safe house. Hal began trekking through the dense evergreen trees in that direction.

Using the spring as a starting point, Hal began searching in widening circles. About 200 feet northeast of the spring, she located it. It was a massive stump of a tree, nearly 20 feet in diameter and around 15 feet tall. She might not have realized what it was except for the small carving of a ranger symbol in the uneven surface of the stump. Closer inspection revealed a carefully concealed door that swung inward after a brief shove. As she listened at the doorway, peering into the darkness, she could hear rustling movement inside. Apparently at some point in the last 30 years, something else had made this its home, and her first step in restoring the safe house would be to clear out the current inhabitants.

Welcome everyone! I’m Ranger Hal. Normally I would say that I hike, snowshoe, scramble, climb, and do search and rescue, but aside from the occasional hike and SAR, I haven't been doing much of that for most of a year and I'm still working on how to get myself in good enough shape to feel comfortable joining more of those activities again, especially the ones that require being able to hike uphill at a decent pace, because I feel pretty slow right now (slow being relative, but a lot of climbers tend to be fast hikers).

My current nerdy thing is Critical Role (as in, I pretty much quit watching all other TV shows shortly after discovering it last year). I'm at about Campaign 2, Episode 120. Also, anything by Brandon Sanderson.

Stats
At the end of last challenge, I leveled up, so I'm now a Level 2 Human Ranger. My favored enemy is Plants (due to the blackberries currently trying to swallow one corner of my house) and my favored terrain is the Forest. I decided to roll for stats and they are Strength 12, Dexterity 17, Constitution 13, Intelligence 12, Wisdom 17, Charisma 11. My AC is 14 and I have 20 hit points. At Level 2, I chose Archery as my fighting style, so I have an extra +2 to attack rolls with ranged weapons (hopefully this means I won't have as much trouble with shooting turkeys as I did last challenge, lol!

Forest Encounters
Forest Encounter combat consists of workouts. I get 10 xp per workout and get to attack an enemy. If I skip a workout, the enemy gets to attack me. If I skip a workout due to SAR and do some exercise, it counts as a workout. If I skip a workout due to SAR and don't get any exercise, the enemy gets to attack, but I get to dodge. I plan to do 3-4 workouts per week and they consist of gym cardio, stairs (with a pack), and hiking (also with a pack). This time, all my attacks for these encounters are ranged attacks. In my favored terrain (forest), i.e. hiking, I get an extra 5 xp per workout.

I wanted a little more randomness in what I’m fighting, so I made a table of potential enemies (CR 0 to 1/2) that might be found in forest terrain. Every time I run out of enemies, I will roll (d20 + d8) to see what I’m fighting next.

Spells
At Level 2, I get spells! I’ve chosen Hail of Thorns and Goodberry. If a pack workout is an hour or more, I can use a bonus action to cast Hail of Thorns. If I bake breakfast cookies, I can cast Goodberry which gives me 4 berries that can be eaten at any point during the week to restore 1 hp each. I also get 10xp per level of spell that I cast.

Exploration
I get 1 xp for each mile I walk outdoors (so gym cardio doesn't count). If the distance is part of a workout, this is in addition to the workout xp. In my favored terrain (forest), I get 2 xp per mile.

For each bouldering or climbing session I do, I get 3 xp and for each new V3 or higher boulder route or 5.11- climb route that I complete (or V2 that I've really struggled with), I get another 2 xp.

Clearing the Safe House
I want to start cleaning my house a bit more regularly, so that’s what this portion of the challenge is. I have a list of chores and will roll (d20) to see what I will be cleaning every day. Well, maybe only 6 days a week. I think it will be better to give myself the option of taking one day off on the weekend. I don’t have to finish a given task (although I can if I want to), I just have to work on it for 5 minutes. If the kitchen is a disaster and dishes are piled up, I can work on that instead. If I’ve already done the task that I roll, I will move on to the next highest numbered task in the list.

For each day I do a task, I get to make a melee attack against one of the creatures that might be infesting the safe house (yes, I made another list). If I do a task both weekend days, Sunday’s melee attack can be a two-weapon attack (using my bonus action). Every time I run out of enemies, I will roll (d12) to see what I’m fighting next. If I skip a day of cleaning, the enemy gets to make an attack against me (but only one attack is possible per weekend).

Fletching
This part of the challenge is dealing with the blackberries around my house.

Creating new arrows requires arrowheads (previously acquired), feathers, and wood. Hunting turkeys (or other birds or feathered creatures) will provide feathers (8d6 feathers per turkey, 3 required for each arrow). If I’m running low on feathers, I can insert a flock of 1d10 turkeys as enemies into either Forest Encounters or Clearing the Safe House instead of immediately rolling new enemies. I don’t have to kill all the turkeys in a flock. I’m sure they will be happy to run away.

For every day I do any chopping of the blackberries (for wood to make arrow shafts), I can attempt to create arrows on a short rest. Not being proficient in woodcarver's tools, starting out, I need to make a dexterity check (DC 18) to successfully make an arrow. After making 5 successful arrows, the DC drops to 15 and I can attempt 1d2 arrows per short rest. After 25 successful arrows, the DC drops again to 12 and I can attempt 1d4 arrows per short rest. After creating 250 arrows, I will be proficient in using the woodcarver's tools to make arrows and can start attempting more interesting arrows (maybe fire arrows, maybe magic arrows once I have access to spells, I haven't decided yet).

Songs
I'm going to start tracking the days I practice memorizing songs. I have some thoughts about using this to bump up Charisma to allow a multiclass into Bard (if I still want to do it when I get to that point), but I haven't worked out all the details yet. However, I can start tracking without knowing all the details. I’m also tracking number of songs memorized.

Short Rest
I will have taken a short rest and can roll hit dice if I have done candles for morning and evening prayers and brushed my teeth.

Long Rest
Long rests occur at the end of every week, so on Monday morning my hit points reset to full (20 hp). If I die during the week, I regenerate on Monday morning, but earn no experience points for the week in which I died.

Social Encounters
I feel like this was a good idea, but I don’t have a lot of incentive to work on it right now. Maybe something for the future. I’m leaving it here so I don’t forget.

Finishing Notes and XP Cap
I will level up at the end of the challenge if I have a total of more than 900 xp. I don't think I've really balanced my challenge and expect that I have too much possible xp for the lower levels, so I'm putting a weekly cap of 200 xp so that I can't entirely bypass Level 3 (and I also don't want to deal with leveling up in the middle of a challenge). I will still tally up the total xp for the week because I want to see how much I'm getting, but I will only carry a maximum of 200 xp over to the next week.

• Like 7

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27, #28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35Current

Walk to Mordor: 2019, 2020, 2021202220232024

Adventures: Adventurers Wanted: A West-Marches Campaign

Some of the Week 0 stuff is pulled from the last challenge and some is new that I just didn't feel like writing up until I had shared all the new intro stuff.

Week 0 Plan

Workouts on T, W, and Weekend. I was already planning a deload week during Zero Week, even before I did something last Friday during bouldering, so gym cardio sessions will be no more than 30 minutes and stair climbing will be one time up the stairs (previously it was two times). I will also bail early with no consequences if the leg feels too weird. For Forest Encounters, I will be killing turkeys.

Week 0, Monday

Clearing the Safe House - dishes. I rolled on my creature table and it says I'm starting off fighting giant wolf spiders. 17 to hit and 7 damage.

As Hal stepped back out of the Safe House doorway, four giant wolf spiders scrambled out after her. Hal took a swipe at one with her shortsword, wounding it.

Fletching/Songs/Short Rest - Pulled one blackberry, mostly because it was raining lightly, but it counts. Dex check of 16 was a failure on the arrow attempt (Feathers: 9). Did song practice, and candles teeth for short rest.

Week 0, Tuesday
Forest Encounters - stairs workout (only one time up because deload week). 21 to hit and 5 damage takes out the first turkey (+10 xp, +24 feathers)

On the journey towards the spring, Hal kept her eye out for turkeys. She was getting low on feathers as making arrows was a little more difficult than she had expected. Spotting a small flock, Hal aimed carefully and this time managed to send an arrow straight into one of the turkeys, killing it instantly.

Clearing the Safe House - dishes. 24 to hit and 9 damage finishes off the first spider (+50 xp).

A second stab finished off that spider.

Fletching/Songs/Short Rest - Blackberries, dex check of 23 was a success on the arrow attempt! (Feathers: 30).

Settling down by the evening fire, Hal practiced her songs while working on new arrows. After another couple of failed attempts, she succeeded in making a second arrow that looked like it might fly true.

Week 0, Wednesday
Forest Encounters - gym cardio workout. 14 to hit and 11 damage kills another turkey (+10xp, +22 feathers)

A second arrow followed the first, taking down another turkey.

Exploration - did some bouldering (+3 xp). Nothing too crazy, but my leg seemed to be doing okay with the gym cardio and the bouldering, so that makes me happy. I did not try the V5 again that caused the issue. It looked interesting, but I might just not be that flexible right now.

Clearing the Safe House - Dust Living Room. 22 to hit and 6 damage.

Hal turned to the second spider, thrusting her sword past its legs and into its body.

Fletching/Songs/Short Rest - Blackberries, dex check of 10 is a fail on the arrow attempt (Feathers: 49). Practiced songs. Candles and teeth for a short rest.

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 1

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27, #28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35Current

Week 0, Thursday

Forest Encounters - N/A

Exploration - N/A

Clearing the Safe House - Bedroom Floor. 12 to hit misses the giant wolf spider.

The spider dodged out of the way of her next swing.

Fletching/Songs/Short Rest - Blackberries (yard waste bin got emptied, so I have lots of room for more), dex check of 19 is a success on the arrow attempt (Feathers 46). Practiced songs. Candles and teeth, so that's a short rest.

The fletching on the next arrow was definitely crooked and odds were that it couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, but the one after that looked passable.

Tracker

Spoiler

image.png.3736e5224d1e5974b5b0f64a3bcd9cb6.png

As a side note, what sort of nerd forum is this that its spell check doesn't recognize "fletching?"

• Like 5

That spreadsheet is a thing of beauty! And it is super weird that the forum doesn’t recognize Fletching. Super, duper weird. 

Following, of course! ❤️ 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 hours ago, Ranger Hal said:

it was time to search for the Ranger safe house. Hal’s thoughts returned to the overgrown spring that she’d seen earlier.

Looking at the picture I was all like "I don't see a safe house" The I realized, of course I don't see it; if I did, it wouldn't be much of a ranger safe house!

• Like 2

We are not sinners trespassing in the garden of an angry God.

We are prodigals come home; fully seen and deeply loved.

Spoiler

Greetings again, fellow West Marcher!

Love this challenge, especially that tracker (Nerds gonna nerd, what can I say?)

9 hours ago, Ranger Hal said:

Social Encounters
I feel like this was a good idea, but I don’t have a lot of incentive to work on it right now. Maybe something for the future.

Hear hear!

I felt this.

1 hour ago, Artemis Prime said:

I love everything about this challenge! Except the wolf spiders *shudders* Let's stab them with swords.

More swords!

Lets Go Cheers GIF by Shogun FX

Here to cheer.

❤️ 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

&Heidi

West-Marches Campaign Herb-Gatherer

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid  Level 12 Philosopher and level 11 Librarian (built on the Monk class, with a training path in The Way of the Cobalt Soul)

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | :: 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 |

Shaman: 82 | 83 | 84

Philosopher-Librarian 85 |:: 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

4 hours ago, Sovalis said:

That spreadsheet is a thing of beauty!

Credit for the framework goes to @Artemis Prime

4 hours ago, Sovalis said:

Following, of course! ❤️ 

Welcome!

4 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

I love everything about this challenge! Except the wolf spiders *shudders* Let's stab them with swords.

That's the plan!

3 hours ago, Whisper said:

Looking at the picture I was all like "I don't see a safe house" The I realized, of course I don't see it; if I did, it wouldn't be much of a ranger safe house!

I like your interpretation! Much better than reality which was that I just don't take all that many pictures and a significant percentage of them are from the tops of mountains which really limits my options for ones that fit the theme of this challenge.

3 hours ago, Heidi said:

Here to cheer.

❤️

Glad to have you!

• Like 1

Week 0, Friday

Forest Encounters - N/A

Exploration - did a little bit of bouldering, but my friends were interested in climbing (ropes), so I did that with them (+3 xp). I did a couple routes in the 5.10-/+ range, but did get one 5.11- (on the second attempt) (+2 xp).

Clearing the Safe House - Bathroom Tub (it was kind of exciting to see this become cleaner!). 14 to hit and 5 damage just kills the second giant wolf spider (+50 xp).

One more slash took the legs off the spider and it crumpled into a heap.

Fletching/Songs/Short Rest - Blackberries (the corner of the house is visible!), dex check of 12 is a failure on the arrow attempt (Feathers 43). Practiced songs. Candles and teeth, so that's a short rest.

Hal stared, disappointed, at the mangled mess of the next arrow attempt. This was supposed to get easier, right?

Tracker

Spoiler

image.png.b3e2677a762898ba44cb316d270f82a6.png

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

I like the idea of rolling die to see what your next chore/task will be. That's a fun way to eliminate being overwhelmed!

I think I borrowed this idea from someone else here and that this was actually the reason that I bought my dice. Of course, then I didn't implement it for months...

I do like the randomness of it. The tub was not the first thing I would have picked to clean in the bathroom, but it's the thing that gets cleaned least and it makes me happy to walk in and see it now.

• That's Metal 1

Week 0, Saturday

Forest Encounters - N/A

Exploration - N/A

Clearing the Safe House - Kitchen Stove, 5 minutes wasn't enough to really clean it properly, but it's better than it was. 24 to hit and 4 damage to the third spider.

Hal turned to the third spider and stabbed at it, but it shifted back and wasn't as damaged as she'd hoped.

Fletching/Songs/Short Rest - Blackberries, dex check of 7 is a failure on the arrow attempt (Feathers 40). Practiced songs. Candles and teeth for a short rest.

The next arrow attempt was somehow even worse.

Tracker

Spoiler

image.png.c81038dfb04051f563b398d879d6afa1.png

• Like 3

Man, the dice really don't want you to have arrows!

I don't know, maybe they're just telling her that she can't multi task fletching with fighting wolf spiders? 

We are not sinners trespassing in the garden of an angry God.

We are prodigals come home; fully seen and deeply loved.

Spoiler

Man, the dice really don't want you to have arrows!

I mean, it seems about right considering the DC that I set for the first 5 arrows. It's a 30% chance of success. It will get better pretty soon and I will get a chance to make more arrows each short rest as well.

1 minute ago, Whisper said:

I don't know, maybe they're just telling her that she can't multi task fletching with fighting wolf spiders? 

For my own sanity, I decided that the different colored text happens at different times of the day (long rest is at the end of the week).

• Like 2

Week 0, Sunday

Forest Encounters - N/A, technically, skipping this today would mean an attack against me, but a turkey isn't going to do enough damage to be a problem right before a long rest. Also, it's zero week and I peopled (indoors) all day yesterday.

I baked some bacon cheddar oatmeal breakfast cookies so that's a Goodberry spell (+10 xp).

Exploration - N/A

Clearing the Safe House - Bathroom sink. Because I did this both weekend days, I get to use a bonus action to make an attack with my second shortsword. First was 8 which misses. Second was a natural 20, 12 damage, finishing the third spider (+50 xp). One left to go.

She swung her first shortsword, missing, but then ran the spider through with her second shortsword.

Fletching/Songs/Short Rest - Blackberries, dex check of 20 is a success on the arrow attempt (Feathers 37). One more success and the DC will go down! Practiced songs. Candles and teeth for a short rest.

But the one after that was straight and looked like it would fly true.

Tracker

Spoiler

image.png.ed42f59a5a324de5de9c516d17cbb1f4.png

I think instead of sharing the tracker every day, I'll just do it at the end of the week from now on.

Aside from no weekend workout, this was a good week as far as the challenge goes. I did the things.

Week 1 Plan

Workouts M, T, W, Weekend. For Tuesday's stairs workout, I'll probably either do three sets or figure out some sort of pack thing to add weight (as long as I can figure out a way to do it without messing with the system I have for stuff I take to work). There's a part of me that wants to schedule a group hike for the weekend right now so I can't get out of it and another part of me that wants to procrastinate until it's too late for it to work. In spite of what my very nice tracker spreadsheet implies, I'm a real mess right now.

• Like 2

Week 1, Monday

Forest Encounters - gym cardio workout (+10 xp) for a ranged attack. Oh, starting out, I rolled on my Forest Encounters table and I'm fighting Flying Snakes. 17 to hit and 4 damage. That's a little sad because I rolled a 1 on the damage die and these things only have 5 hp, so rolling anything else would have killed it entirely.

After making camp near the safe house (but not so close as to be bothered by its inhabitants), Hal rose early and went to the spring for water. As she filled her canteen, something flew toward her head. She dodged out of the way and turned to see two flying snakes sweeping around and heading back towards her. She pulled out her bow and fired an arrow, wounding one of them badly, but not quite killing it.

Exploration - N/A

Clearing the Safe House - Tidy the Living Room, did this for 5 minutes. Melee attack against the Giant Wolf Spider. 23 to hit and 4 damage (rolled another 1 on the damage die, yay).

The remaining spider retreated into the giant tree stump for the night, but as Hal approached it the next afternoon, it hissed at her from the doorway. Hal drove her shortsword towards its head and scored a hit on it.

Fletching/Songs/Short Rest - Blackberries, dex check of 12 is a failure on the arrow attempt (Feathers 34). Practiced songs. Candles and teeth for a short rest.

This time, the fletching looked a little wonky.

• Like 2

On 10/18/2024 at 5:12 AM, Ranger Hal said:

As a side note, what sort of nerd forum is this that its spell check doesn't recognize "fletching?"

The spell check isn't in the forum, it's in your browser. You should use a real browser Firefox. ;)

mozilla firefox GIF by Sarah Schmidt

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

6 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

The spell check isn't in the forum, it's in your browser.

Huh, didn't know that. I do see that there appears to be an "add to dictionary" option if I want to use it.

7 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

You should use a real browser Firefox. ;)

That's weird, because I am using Firefox. (At least that's what it claims to be. I use engineering software every day at work, but I don't put much effort into knowing how computers and IT stuff work.)

3 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

Only 1 more arrow to go for proficiency progress!

And I got it!

Week 1, Tuesday

Forest Encounters - stairs workout (+10 xp) for a ranged attack. 19 to hit, and of course, with the snake only having 1 hp left, I rolled max on the die for 11 damage (+25 xp), lol!

Hal shot another arrow at the wounded flying snake, pinning it to a tree.

Exploration - N/A

Clearing the Safe House - already did Dust the Living Room, so the next item on the list is Living Room Floors. Melee attack against the Giant Wolf Spider. 24 to hit and 8 damage which takes care of the last spider (+50 xp).

Her next thrust ran the spider through and she cautiously peered through the doorway to see what else was hiding inside.

Fletching/Songs/Short Rest - Blackberries, dex check of 19 is a success on the arrow attempt (Feathers 31). Now that I've succeeded at 5 arrows, the DC goes down to 15 and I can attempt 1d2 arrows per short rest. Practiced songs. Candles and teeth for a short rest.

Hal carefully finished making another good arrow. Something seemed to click in her mind after this one. Hopefully it would get easier and she would be able to work a little faster now.

• Like 1