Forums are back in action! ×

Reading Challenge 2020

4 minutes ago, theophilus said:

For as much non-fiction as I consume for law school, you think I'd balance it out with fiction when it comes to reading for pleasure. And yet somehow it's almost always more non-fiction...

This is a great challenge for me to up my fiction intake. I just want to read one fiction book per month this year. I have two in-progress for 2019: Brave New World, and a collection of Ursula K. LeGuin's short stories. I'll count the two half-books as my one book for January. Would love recommendations for Feb and beyond!

What genres do you normally read?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Yesterday I picked up and finished my first book of the year - Trevor Noah's Born a Crime. There's some dark shit in it but it's told in such an entertaining, often innocent, way it makes it a very enjoyable read.

I think this is the third or fourth time I've heard someone recommend this book now... I think I will need to give it a chance. 

• Like 1

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50; Ch 51; Intermission VI

On 1/10/2020 at 12:16 PM, Scalyfreak said:

I discovered my library district has them. Holds have been placed. :)

Wow, that was quick! Now I just need to convince the cat till let me up of this chair, so I can go to the library. 

• Like 4

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50; Ch 51; Intermission VI

4 minutes ago, Jupiter said:

What genres do you normally read?

I run the gamut when I do read fiction: the classics, sci-fi/fantasy, magical realism, things with a post-modern slant. Really any well-written story that makes me feel connected to this crazy thing we call humanity. 

• Like 1

Chapter 25: Theophilus is Mostly Done

Volume 1: Meanderings (2015 - 2020): 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23

Volume 2: The Bar and the Bellwether (2021): 24 | 25

"May your curse in life be that your hard work is constantly mistaken for talent."

16 minutes ago, theophilus said:

I run the gamut when I do read fiction: the classics, sci-fi/fantasy, magical realism, things with a post-modern slant. Really any well-written story that makes me feel connected to this crazy thing we call humanity. 

Well, I can recommend some good sci-fi/fantasy books, mostly urban fantasy, as long as you're okay with a little romance? Or I know of a few books that are darker in tone?

• Like 1
On 1/11/2020 at 5:33 PM, Jupiter said:

Well, I can recommend some good sci-fi/fantasy books, mostly urban fantasy, as long as you're okay with a little romance? Or I know of a few books that are darker in tone?

I'd probably be more into the darker books than the romance, but I'm open to anything!

• Like 2

Volume 1: Meanderings (2015 - 2020): 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23

"May your curse in life be that your hard work is constantly mistaken for talent."

2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Finished the second book of the Daevabad trilogy by S.A. Chakraborty and now I have to wait for the final book... ?Please remind me in the future to not start a series that hasn't been fully released! 

But now you can be hipster about it! "I was reading this trilogy BEFORE they released book 3."

• Haha 3

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 49

2022 challenges:  49 (current)

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

On 1/11/2020 at 3:59 AM, Lateral Planet said:

Done! It was great, highly recommended. 

And then today I did a proper audit of my bookcase and identified this many unread books:

20200111_201952_resize_31.jpg.fb2dad888af6c470351aa1024afcf1c5.jpg

Oops, that's more than I thought! I've got some work ahead of me this year, but I'm pretty confident it's all good stuff so hopefully it won't be too great a challenge!

on the bright side, this isn't nearly as embarassing as my pile was!

• Like 4

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

On 1/11/2020 at 1:59 AM, Lateral Planet said:

And then today I did a proper audit of my bookcase and identified this many unread books:

I am too scared to do this myself. I have a book buying problem that I am pointedly ignoring because books are delicate things and they ALL need to come live on my shelves. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

This Sunday I had the whole afternoon and evening to relax. I was tempted to watch  a movie, but opted to read instead. Currently reading Beowulf  and also (I like to read a few  books at a time) Echo.

• Like 5

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

4 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

But now you can be hipster about it! "I was reading this trilogy BEFORE they released book 3."

That's a terrible trade off. ?

Read a beautifully written dark fairytale novelette today "Even when the world has told us we have ended" by Cat Hellisen (which you can get for free here https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/998051 if interested) 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

on the bright side, this isn't nearly as embarassing as my pile was!

I know, it could've been a lot worse!

1 hour ago, bigm141414 said:

I am too scared to do this myself. I have a book buying problem that I am pointedly ignoring because books are delicate things and they ALL need to come live on my shelves. 

I know that feeling! But I'm on a mission to declutter the house, and that involves scrutinsing my collection and trying to shift my focus to quality over quantity. For these unread ones, I'm giving them the chance to prove themselves ;)

• Like 3
3 hours ago, bigm141414 said:

Haha, yes, the more books, the merrier!

• Like 4

L3 Human Ranger/Assassin

Str. 6 Dex. 2 Sta. 1 Con. 12 Wis. 8 Cha. 3

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/58014

Motto: Where there is life, there is hope.

Soli Deo Gloria

20 hours ago, theophilus said:

I'd probably be more into the darker books than the romance, but I'm open to anything!

Okay cool. :) 

Ilona Andrews' Kate Daniels series is a good place to start in the UF genre (this is my favorite series). The first book, Magic Bites, doesn't really have any romance in it (that part doesn't happen till around book 3). It's got a kickass heroine, cool action scenes and fun characters. :) There's also Jim Butcher's Dresden Files books, about a wizard who solves mysteries and Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid Chronicles, if you're looking for something a little lighter and with more humor. 

For something darker, I'd go with Rob Thurman's Cal Leandros series, it starts with Nightlife. Also, pretty much anything by Victoria/VE Schwab. She is like the queen of dark stories LOL. The Monsters of Verity duet (YA) and her Villains series are my favorites. If you're looking for a dark superhero story, start with Vicious. Seriously, best superhero story you will ever read. 

• Like 3

Could've sworn I posted this earlier...

12 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Finished the second book of the Daevabad trilogy by S.A. Chakraborty and now I have to wait for the final book... ?Please remind me in the future to not start a series that hasn't been fully released! 

I learned that lesson thanks to Patrick Rothfuss. It sucks.

22 hours ago, theophilus said:

Holly Black has some easy reading YA urban fantasy stuff that's not squeaky clean!

FWIW, I don't think that people should EVER be ashamed of having books on the shelf that they haven't read yet - or the opposite! Books are happy things, there's no space for shame.

• Like 4

...but I'm adorable! Ask anyone who doesn't know me...

3 hours ago, Jupiter said:

Okay cool. :) 

Ilona Andrews' Kate Daniels series is a good place to start in the UF genre (this is my favorite series). The first book, Magic Bites, doesn't really have any romance in it (that part doesn't happen till around book 3). It's got a kickass heroine, cool action scenes and fun characters. :) There's also Jim Butcher's Dresden Files books, about a wizard who solves mysteries and Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid Chronicles, if you're looking for something a little lighter and with more humor. 

For something darker, I'd go with Rob Thurman's Cal Leandros series, it starts with Nightlife. Also, pretty much anything by Victoria/VE Schwab. She is like the queen of dark stories LOL. The Monsters of Verity duet (YA) and her Villains series are my favorites. If you're looking for a dark superhero story, start with Vicious. Seriously, best superhero story you will ever read. 

Thanks a million! I’ll look for these next time I’m out!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Akura said:

Finished volume 2 of Monster by Naoki Urasawa. Now... should I really start with Quicksilver....? A Stephenson novel is always a big commitment... ?

I've never read Quicksilver specifically, but his books are generally worth the commitment! 

• Like 3

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 49

2022 challenges:  49 (current)

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

11 hours ago, theophilus said:

Thanks a million! I’ll look for these next time I’m out!

You're welcome! :) 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

I've never read Quicksilver specifically, but his books are generally worth the commitment! 

They definitely are! But I'm not always in the mood for such a long book...

BTW: I did start the Quicksilver audiobook today. Considering how bad the public transport is right in Munich, I might be finished on Friday... ?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way.

Instagram food log

I finished "mein bester letzter sommer" by Anne Freytag.

It was a recommendation from my still-husband, and his high praise ("it's like an anne bishop book") for the book turned out to be misleading (it's not like anne bishop at all, urgh, so much not), but it turned out to be a good read. Even with the disappointed expectations.

I have another one of her books lying on my To Read shelf, thanks to the very same human recommending. Not sure if I feel like reading that one though... the To Read shelf is wide and full, may get into a different book... or get into the second of Anne Freytag's books... not sure at all yet.

Goal read 3× per week: making good headway.

• Like 3

Katrin the Morag Lvl 22 Cadet, half klingon, c-licensed trainer, mother of two, gaming nerd

Current Challenge

Road map to Level 50

LOOK WHAT I FOUND AT A USED BOOK SALE!

PGCp3nB.png

I've read it before, and of course I've seen the movie, but I didn't own a copy until now. $4, and every bit of it supports a local library, so I got an excellent book and did a good deed. ?

• Like 2

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Enters Spartan Training

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes SupernaturalWolfDreamer, The Mad Poet, Becomes SuperhumanWolfDreamer ElevatesWolfDreamer Becomes IronBornWolfDreamer Wakes the White WolfThe Mad Poet Recovers by Keeping it SimpleWolfDreamer Clears His Mind to Find His Wild HeartWolfDreamer ResetsWolfDreamer Strives to Become an Eminently Qualified Peaceful WarriorWolfDreamer Springs ForwardWolfDreamer Returns (For Real This Time)WolfDreamer is RespaWinningWolfDreamer RebootsWolfDreamer Thinks About the Roman Empire

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

1 hour ago, WolfDreamer said:

LOOK WHAT I FOUND AT A USED BOOK SALE!

PGCp3nB.png

I've read it before, and of course I've seen the movie, but I didn't own a copy until now. $4, and every bit of it supports a local library, so I got an excellent book and did a good deed. ?

I haven't read or seen it, but oooh it looks shiny!

• Like 3