TimovieMan doesn't log, but remains sensible

30 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

Don't ask ChatGPT anything factual, it's only programmed for mansplaining. It maximizes convincing language without regard to fact.

Wow, I am stealing this.

And also the science facts that have never occurred to me before!

Also, following for the non-logging challenge!

• Like 3

Level 43 Rogue, 2024 ROADMAP

Welcome to the Dungeons of Doom; locate the Amulet of Yendor ♀ on Level 26

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 45, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 1415, 16, 17, 18, 1920, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46

59 minutes ago, TimovieMan said:

TimovieSon is learning about our solar system at school. When watching a video online, he suddenly asks me: "Why don't we feel the earth's rotation?".

nathan-fillion-oh.gif

*frantically typing*

"ChatGPT, why don't we feel the earth's rotation? Explain like you would to a 9-year-old."

For the same reason that it doesn't *feel* like your body is moving at 60mph when you're traveling on the freeway.

37 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

you have no contact with anything moving at a different speed, so your relative motion is nil.

Great video explainer. :) 

• Like 1

&Heidi

West-Marches Campaign Herb-Gatherer

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid  Level 12 Philosopher and level 11 Librarian (built on the Monk class, with a training path in The Way of the Cobalt Soul)

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | :: 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 |

Shaman: 82 | 83 | 84

Philosopher-Librarian 85 |:: 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

7 minutes ago, Silmarilliane said:

Wow, I am stealing this.

Feel free! I did. :D It's literally what it is, though. It's confidently asserting a vague remix of some things it once heard someone talk about, in order to convince you it's just as good and as expert as they are. That isn't shade or interpretation, that's the actual algorithm behind ChatGPT. Its single goal is to sound as linguistically fluent as a human and say what a human would say, not to be correct in what it says. It's a (hu)mansplaining machine. (And kind of an environmental disaster, so it's got that part of being human down, too.)

• Like 2

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Just now, sarakingdom said:

I did

really hope you stole it from ChatGPT :D 

• Haha 4

Level 43 Rogue, 2024 ROADMAP

Welcome to the Dungeons of Doom; locate the Amulet of Yendor ♀ on Level 26

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 45, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 1415, 16, 17, 18, 1920, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46

1 hour ago, Silmarilliane said:

really hope you stole it from ChatGPT :D 

Alas. Like most mansplainers, self-awareness is not one of its qualities. ;)

• Haha 6

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

19 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Don't ask ChatGPT anything factual, it's only programmed for mansplaining. It maximizes convincing language without regard to fact.

Actually, you can, as long as it's something that's well-documented and you're satisfied with the "broad strokes" version.

But yeah, it's mainly a language tool. As in: it's a better translator than Google Translate, and it's an excellent editor for writing review, but you still need human verification / interpretation.

I mostly use it to review my posts before I actually post them. Basically to make sure that my ramblings are coherent.

I still ignore most of its suggestions - I still want to sound like *me* - but ChatGPT regularly comes up with wordings that were better than what I had originally used.

And it's also useful in those rare cases where the best phrasing I can come up with is a typical Dutch proverb that doesn't have an English equivalent (or has one that I don't know).

18 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

It's a (hu)mansplaining machine. (And kind of an environmental disaster, so it's got that part of being human down, too.)

No argument there. The amount of water it uses for cooling is unfathomable.

In this particular case, it was more a sudden "why don't I know this?" and wanting to give a quick, plausible answer so as to not have to admit to my 9-year-old that his dad doesn't know everything... 😇

And then going in-depth in the actual facts so I can correct or expand as necessary, or just to satisfy my own curiosity itch.

There's a reason why I'm a notorious Wiki walker... 😅

TimovieSon caught me off-guard. I'm NOT looking forward to being put on the spot like that more and more by the kids.

Nobody likes to admit that he's a flawed human and not SuperDad™... 😇

• Like 3

TimovieMan: funnier than you think he is; not as funny as he thinks he is...

Active challenges: Don't log, remain sensible | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

Old threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII

Kids will always think you are super dad…until they become teenagers.

Fathers Day Fun GIF by Greetings Island

• Like 2

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore before you decide to be happy” -Nightbirde

“Dreams do not come true all by themselves. They are nourished by the bounty of hard work”  -Unknown Disney Imagineer

2024 Word

Svastha: Standing in One’s Own Power

Current Challenge:

Sepherina Focuses

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 , #6 , #7 , #8 , #9#10#11, #12, ,#13#14, #15#16, #17

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

31 minutes ago, Sepherina said:

Kids will always think you are super dad…until they become teenagers.

But I want to relish the time I'm still "Daddy Cool" for as long as I can, and try to postpone the moment where I become "Daddy Cringe" instead. 😇

Although I'm pretty sure I'll then embrace the cringe and turn it up to eleven for shits and giggles. They'll get the joke when they're older... and/or in therapy. 😁

• Like 3

Active challenges: Don't log, remain sensible | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

Old threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII

4 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

And it's also useful in those rare cases where the best phrasing I can come up with is a typical Dutch proverb that doesn't have an English equivalent (or has one that I don't know).

I would enjoy learning some Dutch proverbs, especially if it helps you express yourself. :) 

26 minutes ago, TimovieMan said:

Although I'm pretty sure I'll then embrace the cringe and turn it up to eleven for shits and giggles

I support this plan. :D 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

I would enjoy learning some Dutch proverbs, especially if it helps you express yourself. :) 

Doesn't even need to be limited to Dutch proverbs. My particular brand of Flemish dialect contains a few gems that are very local. 😅

A couple of classics are:

- "aan zijn adem te ruiken" (literally: "smelling his breath"), meaning "judging by his tone of voice" or "based on his demeanor"

- "het zwijn door de bieten jagen" (literally: "chasing the pig through the beets" 🤣), meaning "partying wild" or "celebrating profusely"

49 minutes ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

I support this plan. :D 

The goal is to elicit this reaction:

the-office-pam-beesly.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

TimovieSon's football team is participating in a youth football cup tournament. First rounds (and group stage) are local, but the latter stages are national. The team were runners-up in that tournament two years ago.

Yesterday they had their final group stage match, versus their direct opponent for the group win.

The team didn't play all that well. The others had a couple of good players, and while ours were theoretically better as a team, they weren't playing their best. Still got 2-0 and 3-1 up, but the others equalised to 3-3 with just two minutes left to play. So naturally, our team immediately hushed the others by scoring the winning goal with a long-distance scorcher. 😁

There were penalties (3 per team) after the match because the rules of the tournament use them as an additional tie-breaker in the group stage. TimovieSon stopped the first two, and they missed their third.

Then we took 3. TimovieSon scored the first, and then watched his team mates balloon the second one over, while the third hit the post. Talk about him being decisive... 😅

When I put the kids to bed in the evening, I left my phone in the bathroom. This made me miss my workout alarm later - and meant that Mrs. Movieman had to drag herself out of bed to silence it - AND made me miss my sleep curfew because I was in the middle of a Cyberpunk 2077 session.

Exercising hasn't been stellar this week. Better not miss another day... 🫣

I haven't posted a Counting Crows song this year. Time to remedy that.

Here's "Angels of the Silences".

Counting Crows - Angels of the Silences

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, TimovieMan said:

I haven't posted a Counting Crows song this year. Time to remedy that.

Thank you for your service. :) 

Football with the kids is great. I have a home game tomorrow and I'm looking forward to it. 

Oooops for the phone snafu! May the electronic discomboulation goblins find somewhere else to be!

• Like 2

&Heidi

West-Marches Campaign Herb-Gatherer

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid  Level 12 Philosopher and level 11 Librarian (built on the Monk class, with a training path in The Way of the Cobalt Soul)

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | :: 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 |

Shaman: 82 | 83 | 84

Philosopher-Librarian 85 |:: 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

7 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

mostly use it to review my posts before I actually post them. Basically to make sure that my ramblings are coherent.

I still ignore most of its suggestions - I still want to sound like *me* - but ChatGPT regularly comes up with wordings that were better than what I had originally used.

Interesting... may have to play with this. 

1 hour ago, TimovieMan said:

When I put the kids to bed in the evening, I left my phone in the bathroom. This made me miss my workout alarm later - and meant that Mrs. Movieman had to drag herself out of bed to silence it - AND made me miss my sleep curfew because I was in the middle of a Cyberpunk 2077 session.

Exercising hasn't been stellar this week. Better not miss another day... 🫣

May you show up tonight!

• Like 1

"Operation Bad*ss" Starts 9/1/2024

Quest 1: Level up Basecamp

4 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

But I want to relish the time I'm still "Daddy Cool" for as long as I can, and try to postpone the moment where I become "Daddy Cringe" instead. 😇

Although I'm pretty sure I'll then embrace the cringe and turn it up to eleven for shits and giggles. They'll get the joke when they're older... and/or in therapy. 😁

As a parent who just made it out of the “Cringe stage” it is one to exploit to the nth degree and soo worth it 😂

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore before you decide to be happy” -Nightbirde

“Dreams do not come true all by themselves. They are nourished by the bounty of hard work”  -Unknown Disney Imagineer

2024 Word

Svastha: Standing in One’s Own Power

Current Challenge:

Sepherina Focuses

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 , #6 , #7 , #8 , #9#10#11, #12, ,#13#14, #15#16, #17

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5