12 hours ago, Mistr said:

I left after an hour of class to go to the real book launch party. When I got there (15 minutes after the announced start time) it was just my friend the author, her husband, and one other person. More people trickled in. As promised, there was a fancy cake decorated to match the cover of her new book. Because there were so few people, we actually talked with each other. After talking for a while, I discovered that one of the people works at the same place I do. She laughed and laughed, then asked me questions. I made a connection with a person who just bought a loom and is a fairly new spinner. New enough to be bringing home free fleeces. We talked about getting together for craft work days.

I really like all of this for you. Solidarity for those of us who feel awkward when there is only one person we know at an event!

I also like the possibility of craft companionship. This sounds centering and connected. Was it the same person who works at the same place as you?

12 hours ago, Mistr said:

I don't quite understand why I am avoiding it so hard. Now I am going to use my notes here to get it DONE.

Congratulations on getting things logged!

Any insights on the reluctance?

Sometimes when I’ve been overwhelmed doing onerous tasks, or just being too crammed with tasks to breathe, I tend to avoid revisiting them because just thinking about it makes me feel drained all over again. And of course I always feel a bit chagrined when I have “neglected” my log, and embarrassed that I often can’t remember what I did even though I know I did things.  No embarrassment needed, of course, because it’s all a sign that yes, I was living life in maxed-out mode. ?‍♀️

I hope you are having a pleasant weekend.

The aikido seems to have gone really well for you this challenge, and sitting Zen, too.

You inspire me.

❤️ 

• Like 4

&Heidi

West-Marches Campaign Herb-Gatherer

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid  Level 12 Philosopher and level 11 Librarian (built on the Monk class, with a training path in The Way of the Cobalt Soul)

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | :: 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 |

Shaman: 82 | 83 | 84

Philosopher-Librarian 85 |:: 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

On 10/13/2024 at 2:47 AM, Mistr said:

I am usually uncomfortable in situations where I know only one person. I was delightedly surprised to connect with new people and have a great time.

Wonderful!

On 10/13/2024 at 2:47 AM, Mistr said:

Today I took the whole day to do things I want to do. This turned out to be a mix of cleaning and playing phone games to avoid my log book. I don't quite understand why I am avoiding it so hard. Now I am going to use my notes here to get it DONE.

Maybe it feels like yet another chore added to the already very long list?

• Like 2

Yeesh, how did we get to the end of the challenge so fast? I feel like we should be in week 3.

Challenge summary

I had just three goals.

1. Sleep

This actually was pretty good. I only stayed up later than I should on weekends. I mostly got enough sleep. Bad nights were due to joint pain rather than stupidity.

2. Zen

total time = 782 minutes/35 days -> 22.3 minutes per day.

Skipped 5 days, so actual time per session averaged to 26 minutes. The group meeting usually have two zazen periods of 25-30 minutes each, so those made up for the skipped days. 

I think the consistency is starting to pay off in better focus when I am meditating. It is certainly much better than six months ago. I just have to keep it up to see where it leads.

3. Logging

Started strong then had a major fail. Need to keep working on this.

As for doing what I could, I did quite a bit of that. I am pleased with progress on projects that have been waiting and cleaning around the house and yard. I like the approach of doing what I can and not worrying so much about doing all the things.

I will continue on this path for the next round.

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 5

Level 80  Viking paladin

My current challenge  Battle log 

Zero week - Monday

I was avoiding things in the morning but I made some progress on my backlog in the afternoon.

I was debating between going to aikido and staying home to do cooking and cleaning. Dumbledore encouraged me to go to aikido. This is why he is a keeper.

That was the right decision. There were only five of us there, including the instructor. I was the highest rank person there but the chief instructor had asked the other black belt to substitute for her. The other three people were younger women. That gave a 4:1 female:male ratio ?. This is rare. Having a majority of women on the mat happens occasionally. After so many times of me being the only woman on the mat, it was fun to have the tables turned.

I got home and had to scramble to pack up the chicken stock and squash that I cooked earlier in the day. I tried sitting zen but my left hip is still very unhappy. I sat zen today at lunchtime and moved to a chair. Not being distracted by my hip improved my concentration dramatically. :D 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I have been thinking about what I am struggling with. I know that getting more sleep, more exercise and eating healthier would be good for me. I know how to do all those things. The real challenge is around making good choices and feeling good about what I am doing. When I lie in bed in the morning and contemplate my day, I find myself thinking "the first free time I have will be Thursday". That is not quite true, but it is close. There are days when my time is spoken for from gettin

I need to figure out how to enjoy the regular things so that I am not slogging through them. A big part of my eating too many sweets is wanting to have something enjoyable in my day. It has nothing to do with hunger. For example, I will have an hour this evening between work and the aikido BoD meeting. I was pondering what I could do to make my evening more fun. Make brownies! Hmmm, maybe not. Maybe set up some fun colored roving on my spinning wheel instead of the frustrating pearl-infused fiber. Or I could do evening prep before the meeting so I can just relax afterwards. So many options.

My next challenge is going to focus on figuring out how to work with my energy and attitude to make my life better.

• Like 5

Level 80  Viking paladin

I'm glad you made some progress on the home without stressing about it. And I, too, eat sweets for the reward feeling rather than hunger. Not sure how to stop other than not having them at home.

• Like 2

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

I find the struggle to be in the moment looking for joy and satisfaction to be challenging and so very worth it. I have been living for the weekends lately and I really want to slow down and enjoy the life I am living on weekdays too. 

It was nice to catch up with you. ❤️ 

• Like 2

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tuesday evening I got home and chilled before the board meeting. I might remind myself that time to sit still is a thing.

The meeting got done early. Bonus of doing a zoom meeting - I was able to take notes on the computer at the same time and did not have to write them up afterwards. They are not as cohesive as usual, but I doubt anyone was reading them for literary quality. I got quite a few things taken care of afterwards. That included getting out some fun roving to spin sometime soon.

On the Bodies are Weird topic:

• I could not fall asleep even though there was no caffeine in  my system and I took 6mg of melatonin at 8:30pm. Dumbledore did come home with groceries at 10:30 at night and make noise in the kitchen. That just gave me something to pay attention to while not falling asleep.
  • My hip suddenly got better. I sat zen for 30 minutes at lunchtime with no twinges. At least not from the hip. Other muscles got tight towards the end. WTF? I still have no idea what I did to piss it off.
  • Not so weird - I got my covid and flu shots today and am tired. I am going to go home and take it easy.
  • Like 5

Level 80  Viking paladin

Great news about the hip! Sorry (and solidarity) to hear that other things are being wonky; maybe from compensating for the hip? Bodies are weird.

May you have better rest tonight.

• Like 1

&Heidi

West-Marches Campaign Herb-Gatherer

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid  Level 12 Philosopher and level 11 Librarian (built on the Monk class, with a training path in The Way of the Cobalt Soul)

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | :: 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 |

Shaman: 82 | 83 | 84

Philosopher-Librarian 85 |:: 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

On 10/16/2024 at 10:41 AM, Mad Hatter said:

Last time I checked that's what sweets are supposed to be for. ? 

I Agree Yes Yes Yes GIF by Tracey Matney - Victory Points Social

And yes, hard agree on bodies are weird

On 10/13/2024 at 9:08 AM, Heidi said:

Solidarity for those of us who feel awkward when there is only one person we know at an event!

also a member of this group ?

• Like 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: Life is not Always SET

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda