Forums are back in action! ×

Adventurer’s Wanted: A West-Marches Campaign

Emberwood Inn boasts the largest taproom in these wild hills and you find yourself settling at a table in the early evening. It is a cozy contrast to the wilderness outside: Rebel’s Refuge isn’t a large or particularly prosperous outpost, but the locals take pride in their gathering place and everything is as right and tight as blood, sweat, and tears can make it. The river-stone hearth boasts a cheerful fire and the warm air smells of the cinnamon scent of burning Emberwood and the slowly melting beeswax candles that light the place. A large piece of slate on the bar features the day’s menu in bright white chalk. Mostly pottages, soups, and stews, but there’s roast venison for those who want it and have the coin. The Tap-Keeper, Avolen Fisher, is quick to take your order or pour you a drink. She’s half wild-thing herself, all red hair and woad tattoos, but she’s never steered you wrong when you’ve come looking for work or to learn more about a rumour you’ve heard. You know she is curious about the origins of this place and has offered a 20 gold piece reward for information about how Rebel’s Refuge came to be before it had been abandoned, as well as the events that lead up to the abandonment. She’s close-mouthed about why she wants to know, but the gold sits in a glass jar ensorcelled to the bar where anyone can see it, making her interest plain. 

Tonight Avolen is in front of the bar rather than behind it, affixing a new noticeboard to the wall just inside the door to the tap room. The frame is burnished Emberwood around a centre panel of sanded pine. Once successfully hung she stabs it with a dozen square-headed tacks and stands back to admire her handiwork. 

Lukaas, a looming half-orc with a ponytail that snakes down his back, collects the hammer used to hang the board and adds a smaller plaque above the centre of it. It reads “Adventurer’s Wanted” in letters large enough to be clearly read from where you sit. “Think this’ll do what you want it to, Avolen?” He asks. 

“I hope so,” she replies, wiping sawdust off her hands with a bar towel. “I can’t be everywhere at once and more and more adventurers are finding their way here. A centralized place for them to look for work that interests them might be useful for everyone.”

”I can help with that!” A high, thin voice carries in from the doorway. It is Ellereth Weedweaver, the ancient local apothecary. “I have some tasks that need doing, you know. By someone with supple knees and a youthful spine. Gathering tasks to help me make up the remedies we will need for the winter.” Ellereth  comes to stand beside Avolen and hands a crisp scroll to Lukaas. Lukaas unfurls it, reads it quickly, and then uses some of the tacks to spread it on the board. Ellereth nods approval and shambles over to the chair closest to the fire. Avolen resumes her position behind the taps and pulls a mug of cider for the apothecary, sliding it across the bar for Lukaas to deliver. 

“Maybe we should put a notice about the spiders?” Lukaas steps lightly to the apothecary’s table and sets the tankard down. “Would be pretty good to get those cleaned out of the Near Woods. They’re getting a little bold for my tastes.”

Avolen nods and pulls a sheet of parchment from under the bar, carefully drafting a notice about the Spiders of the Emberwood. Once she is satisfied with it, she hands it over and Lukaas adds it to the board. 

“Needs something else. Two isn’t enough…” Lukaas mutters to himself. “Maybe someone with brains could help Niko with those translations that have been perplexing them about the origins of the Outpost? I know we haven’t had much luck figuring them out.”

Avolen nods and sketches up a third notice. Lukaas adds it to the board with a satisfied sigh. “There. A good start. More jobs will filter in as time goes on, of course. But three is lucky and that is good enough for now.”

Disclaimer

- Main story  is written in this red and in bold.

- Please write your in-character roleplay in this blue italic.

- Regular writing that is not in character (like right now) is in regular black text with no special formatting.

Feel free to do your roleplaying here (remember, written this blue italic) and when it's time for us to summarize and move things forward, we'll try to incorporate it in our post.

Emberwood is a medium sized outpost on the edge of the known world. The land here is barely tamed within the limits of the outpost and completely wild outside of this tiny pocket of what passes for civilization. All manner of monsters, beasts, and other Peoples live in these parts. Wild magic affects the geography, flora, fauna to varying degrees. As such, the Rebel’s Refuge attracts all kinds of adventurers, from those who want to hunt monsters to those who want to study magic to those who desire to make diplomatic overtures.

In this challenge, you will accept quests off the Board and pursue them to their completion. In-game progress will be influenced by your self-reported completion of fitness challenges assigned for each task. You are free to assemble a party to take on a quest and it is actually advised, for most tasks should be too much to complete on your own. To assemble a party, decide who you want to adventure with (feel free to discuss it here or anywhere else you want, be it your challenge threads, via DMs or whatever works for you, but you must follow each other on your challenges or Daily Battle Logs and then report here, where a list of active adventuring groups will be kept. Please feel free to name the party, etc. - whatever gets the creativity hopping! Once you have assembled your party, please let the Tap-Keeper, Avolen [@Sovalis], know which quest you want to begin and instructions will be given. Please update here with progress you make on your quest! This will inspire others to participate and let the Tap-Keeper know how things are going.

I will update in the next few days about any additional rules and technicalities like how to handle gear, character sheets, etc, if any more will be implemented at this stage. @DarK_RaideR and I are still storming and norming how this is going to run. We ask for your patience and input as we figure out how to make it go! We are aiming to post the first adventure tasks on Sunday to kick off Week 1 of the 5 Week Challenges, so we have a bit of time to get things figured out. If you have thoughts you’d like to share, please do! You can either post in this thread or send me a DM. Our intention is to run one adventure for each party for each week of the current challenge that you then have that whole week to accomplish. If people like the format I will consider running it in future as well (can’t speak for DarK_RaideR), but lets see how this goes and how much bandwidth it takes up in my life. ;) 

DarK-RaideR has a map coming which will be awesome as well! 

Pbrdr1M.png

WEST MARCHES SPREADSHEET

WEEK 1

Avolen looks around at the adventuring types gathered at the Emberwood Inn on this night. The western edges of the Empire still offer a bit of adventure and treasure for those willing to take the necessary risks, so there's never been a lack of able bodied volunteers for all the work that needs doing around these parts. These people should suffice for now, and hopefully more will turn up to join the ranks as the days go on.

"Right, you lot have an idea of what's needed, form up and see your respective people depending on what you're out to do" she says to the patrons in the common room. "Those looking to assist Ellereth Weedweaver with the gathering of herbs, speak to the apothecary over there for further instructions. Lukaas can fill you in if you're in a spider-slaying mood. As for the history of this place, you can offer your help to Niko the Scribe, his house is on the other end of the outpost. Far away as possible from the noise of the Inn, I suppose."

Patrons shuffle about as they group up around their designated quest informers. It's not a particularly busy night, but the excitement in the air makes the place almost pulsate with energy.

"Your task will take you to the mountains north of here" Ellereth Weedweaver tells the group assembled around the apothecary. "I beseech you to go there and gather the herbs I require, before the weather gets any worse and that area becomes impossible to traverse. I shall give you detailed instructions of what I need, how to locate it, how to harvest it properly and how much of each I will require."

Those of you who have taken up this quest are headed up the mountains! Any movement that simulates upward movement on your feet counts and we're measuring progress in steps. You can take the stairs, especially if doing so means you're skipping the elevator. You can use one of those stair-like treadmill machines at the gym. You could just do lunges. Or go for full-on simulation and hike on a mountain, just remember to have a step tracking app on or use a website like Stridekick to convert the distance you trekked into steps. Your goal is to hit 1.000 of these steps each by the end of Week 1!

Lukaas takes a very long sip as he finishes his drink, creating that dramatic effect of expectation as he soaks in the attention he's receiving. "Well, as any adventurer worth their salt will tell you, the best way to go about dealing with giant spiders is fire" he tells his newfound audience. "Them critters hate a flame and their webs tend to be so try they almost evaporate when you get your torch near them. However, these have infested the Emberwood. You don't want to start a forest fire. Especially if you're in the middle of said forest, but I digress, just don't start forest fires. Remember that if you find yourself thinking about slinging some fire magic, assuming you're the spellcasting type, of course. For now, we'll start with the basics: no torches. Make sure you bring some other light sources with you, lanterns or something. A more controlled option of illumination."

Those out to hunt spiders need to control their light sources first. Less light in your eyes means less screen time, in this case. Put that phone down before going to sleep and give your eyes a break. Progress will be measured in minutes, the time between turning your TV/computer/phone off and going to bed, even if it's a rough estimate. Your baseline goal is 90 minutes, so a minimum of 15' every night for Week 1, excluding Sunday. There will, however, be an added bonus if you can do even better than that!

Those heading out to Niko's cabin are spared the formalities, as the ever practical scribe puts them to work immediately under the tireless gaze of his companion owl, which sports an unusual greenish plumage. Piles of books, scrolls and other documents are placed in front of everyone available to go through them, most in obscure languages that ensure this will take a while...

So, you have chosen to help with the translations. Chances are you're already using a popular application that involves Niko's mildly threatening familiar, so your task is to do your daily Duolingo quests for Week 1 (bonus points if you take screenshots and share them here). If you're not involved with that and don't wish to start now either, worry not, for there is also an alternative option for you, the more app-adverse learner of foreign languages. Your task for the first week of the challenge shall be to watch a movie in a foreign language, no dubs or subtitles.

fhkCo6X.png

"Oh damn, I almost forgot!" Lukaas exclaims as he mindlessly slaps his own forehead when the thought pops into his head. "When you lot are done setting up your light sources, make sure you also have an empty flask, vial, jar, or other kind of container. Ellereth asked me to try and save up some of that morning dew off the spiderwebs. Said they're usually dry, but given the forest's humidity, we might find a few droplets. Must be some rare ingredient for his recipes, so let's make sure we don't waste any hard-to-get resources being reckless, yeah? Drink up!"

Friday random encounter for the Spider Hunting group! Your bonus task till the end of the week is to hydrate better. Either make sure you drink at least 2L of water throughout a single day, or replace one of your other beverages (coffee, tea, alcohol, energy drink etc) with plain good old fashioned water.

WEEK 2

You have reached the elevation that Ellereth described as featuring the most robust population of the herbal ingredients for their remedies. As you crest a rise you find yourself in a pocket valley, protected from the strong winds of the hilltops. A beautiful alpine meadow spreads before you with many colourful flowers swaying in the more gentle wind. This certainly looks like a bountiful place. Mindful of Ellereth’s cautions to only harvest one of every three plants you find, you pull out the tiny silver dagger they insisted you use for collection and turn it over in your hand. With so many colours in view, this shouldn’t take too long!

Hello Herb-Gatherers! Your task for this week is to perform 5-second squat hold repetitions to simulate examining and collecting the flora that Ellereth has requested. The minimum dosage Ellereth requires is 10 squats a day, but they have offered a bonus for additional herbs, so going above and beyond will yield a fun, unknown benefit when you cash in this quest. Feel free to break them up into groups. Extra spirit points if you do them while watering plants. ;) Happy picking! 

You have reached the depths of the North Woods and the strands of web are clustered more densely together. You begin to find small, wrapped bundles on the ground in neat stacks. Each bundle is at the foot of a tree that is clear of webs. It appears that every fourth or fifth tree is cleared and other trees are in various degrees of silk-wrap. As you watch, you see huge spiders, whose abdomens are the size of a large pumpkin, treading delicately around their webs, repairing them or wrapping small, trapped, struggling creatures in their silk, presumably for a later meal. As the spiders spin out their web, their abdomens glow as if made of clear quartz, making the webs sparkle and shine in the dim light. On a tree high above you is what looks like a cluster of eggs wrapped in a protective layer of silk with a truly mammoth arachnid that seems to be watching you carefully out of lustrous black eyes standing guard. Its mandibles click something that seems like a warning as you come close to the base of its tree. 

Hi Spider Hunters!

You have three choices for this week:

1) If you choose to fight the spiders, you must complete the following workout:

Each successful circuit of all six movements (10 reps each) is one spider killed. Take this at your own pace (don’t overdo it!) and tally the number of spiders that you kill as the week goes on. Feel free to grab a prop to bask in the child-like joy of sword fighting - a wrapping paper tube is always a classic choice. 

2) If you chose to investigate the parcels laying on the ground, you need to perform 10 Good Mornings for each parcel you wish to inspect. Proper form can be found here:

You can do them either body weight, or weighted, your choice (Don’t overdo it!). Track how many parcels you examine as the week goes on.

3) You decide to explore past the giant spider guarding the eggs and see what lays beyond this stretch of infested forest. To get past the spider without disturbing the webs you need to do 10 Mountain Climbers for each five feet you want to get past this central tree. Form can be found here:

If Mountain Climbers are out of your ability right now, do something that simulates crawling while laying on your back, such as Dead Bugs, knee-to-elbow touches, etc. Track how many feet you get beyond this tree as you move throughout the week. 

Happy Decision-Making! 

WEEK 3

Avolen wipes the bar and dares another glance at the door. At a nearby table, Ellereth nurses a pint, their patchwork robe pooling on the floor at their feet. “They should be back soon, I would think,” Ellereth ventures. Avolen nods. “There was nothing too dangerous in the tasks that would prevent their return. Maybe I should go stoke the fires under the bathhouse coppers for when they return? I know I always want a bath after a few days off attending to things.” Ellereth nods vigorously, their abundant, bushy hair flopping wildly with the motion. “Just so. I am so often scrubbing up after repotting plants and that clean feeling is so excellent. I am sure that your kindness will be thought much of. I’ll watch the bar if you want to do that.” Avolen chuckles and waves woad-tattooed fingers over the cash box. The air surrounding the box shimmers like a heat wave before stilling again. “Try to not guzzle too many pints in the ten minutes I’ll be gone.” Ellereth salutes the barkeep with their tankard, smiling cheekily as Avolen slips through the door to the kitchen.

Spider Team:

If you ( @Snarkyfishguts )  were hunting spiders and want to return for a bath, that is an option! Your task for this week is to add one self-care item to your regular personal hygiene routine that you appreciate but don’t often perform. This can be a literal long bath, painting your nails, applying temporary tattoos, styling your hair, etc., etc. Something that makes you feel extra cared for and spruced up after combat. If you choose to stay out in the forest with those who were investigating the silk parcels, your task this week is to stand guard over them while they puzzle out the mysteries of the containers. To expand your awareness into the forests around you, please meditate to the best of your ability for five or more minutes each day. Use an app to help with your focus if that is more your speed, follow a guided meditation if that works best for you, or otherwise find your way to stillness and see what comes to you in that time. 

If you ( @Artemis Prime, @Elastigirl, @Sea-to-sky, @athousandwords) were investigating parcels you discover that most are full of bundles of carefully collected and finely looped spider silk, exactly as if these creatures are being farmed in a deliberate way. A smaller portion of the parcels are full of what appear to be rations and supplies similar to what you’d take with you on the road if you were adventuring through wilderness. And a precious minority of parcels appear to be miniature portable shrines of some kind. Some appear to be dedicated to the spiders themselves, others seem to be more generalized offerings to the Forest. This is the first evidence that you have of thinking beings living near to Rebel’s Refuge. As you study the various parcels, you can infer a few things: these beings have thumbs, they have a fairly sophisticated material culture, and there seems to be an absence of metal among the offerings (no coins, daggers, etc.). There are small ribbons of delicately woven silk that seem to have thin, spindly writing on them in each of the parcels. To figure out what these messages say, you will need to do some writing this week: Take the opportunity to write something simple every day: this can be a reflection of gratitude, a short journal entry (maybe your workout for the week!), a to do list to keep you better organized for the week, a thank you note for something someone has done for you, even solving the daily Wordle. Just engage with language in a way that is different from your normal practices and see where it takes you. Extra points for adventuring limericks! ;) 

If you ( @Radost) were exploring the Forest this week, you find a hammock strung low beneath the drooping branches of an ancient deep green pine. The hammock is unusual in that it attaches at six points forming a hexagon, rather than the two points most humanoids use when creating a sling-bed. The small fire pit is long and rectangular in shape rather than round, its ashes currently cold. A few fired-clay vessels that seem to be cook pots rest next to the hearth. As you look around the space you hear a quiet chiming from above you. Looking up you see mobiles of twigs and stones twirling in the lower branches. To make a more active investigation of the camp and mobiles,  please complete some Sun Salutations! Form can be found here:

Please only do what you are comfortable doing. Any attempt is anppreciated and we don’t want you over extending or injuring yourself!

Herb-Gatherers!

If you ( @Heidi, @titsworth, @DarK_RaideR, @Ranger Hal) were gathering herbs this week, your bags are now stuffed and you are prepared for the return journey to Rebel’s Refuge. As you begin your decent from the alpine meadow back to the boreal forests that surround the Refuge, you notice that there are well-worn paths going off towards the peaks. Investigation leads you to conclude that these are no mere goat tracks, but are in fact used by mounted riders and even small carts. What do you do? Do you go further up into the hills, or do you return to the Refuge and pass along what you have discovered? Please let me know so I can guide you from here. 

Cartographer!

If you ( @Jarric) were making marks on a map this week, you are now in possession of a copy of Nikko’s most up-to-date sketch. It may be useful later. 

New Bulletin Board Posts!

1)  Kitchen Help Wanted! - A food prep quest! This task is for making yourself something that will feed you this week: it can be a one-off meal, a snack, a batch-cooked something for future use, whatever best serves your goals. Please share with us any recipes that inspire you and pictures of in-process or finished prep are always welcome!

2) Explore for Tunnels! - A walking challenge! This task is for exploring your local area with fresh eyes keen on new details. Go for a short daily walk and really pay attention to what is going on around you. Report back on something you noticed at the end of each walk: might be an unusual rock you saw, someone’s cool bumper sticker, a song on the radio you hadn’t heard for a while, etc. If you are using a treadmill, check out a walking video on YouTube for a change of environment. Try for 10 minutes a day and go up from there if you can!

Happy Deciding! ❤️ 

WEEK 4

Deep in the Emberwood, investigation of the writings seems to indicate two things; one, knowledge of, or at least interest in, spider intricacies. The writing is hard to decipher out of the blue, but the sketches of web patterns and of spiders with different looks, as if individualized or at least ranked in type, shows the writer thinks more of these creatures than just “large spiders making webs”. Two, there is some sort of artistic effort at play. The images, some more than others, appear to be more like idealized depictions than realistic documentation. Even the writing, in its strange scribbled alphabet, has a sense of rhythm in how certain symbols are repeated in it. This is probably more than just a basic message, combined with the miniature shrines and offerings discovered, they could be poems, praises or hymns to the Forest and the spiders, though exactly what they say and how they view this all is hard to tell at this point. This also seems to match with the findings of Radost, a campsite and items that suggest whoever came there, stayed a while and they did so without fear of being devoured by the spiders. More importantly, there’s tracks from the campsite leading further into the hills in the north west.

While all of this is discussed and relayed between the party members, Ursina’s mind begins to fill with different kinds of questions. Has the group slain enough spiders to keep their numbers in check? Will this act of aggression prompt a violent response? And if not by the spiders, perhaps by these creatures who seem to have some sort of relationship to them? Should the group seek them out? And how will this interaction be affected by the party’s actions so far and the dead spiders behind them? As the questions become overbearing, almost screaming inside her head, she snaps out of it and looks around her. The entire group has been caught up in such a discussion, arguing back and forth. They need to snap out of this and take action, lest they be lost in these woods forever!

@Snarkyfishguts@Artemis Prime, @Elastigirl, @Sea-to-sky, @athousandwords, @Radost your task for this week is to stop overthinking, stop procrastrinating and just do the thing. Utlize those 20 seconds of courage to achieve at least one thing you've been doubting or putting off or analyzing to death instead of actually doing it, then come back and tell us about it. Get out of that forest!

With Rezka and Heidi leading the way, the party sent out to gather herbs follow the paths, eager to explore and discover where they lead, or at least find any more interesting clues as to those who seem to be using them. This hike takes them even higher on the mountain, well past the point where any noticeable vegetation manages to grow. The air is cold and bursts of wind feel like they’re scraping against the explorer’s faces. At last, after a long trek along a snaking path that slowly circles the mountain as much as it goes up it, the herb gatherers reach a spot where they get a good view of the lands beyond. Just past the foot of the mountain to the north, on the other side of where Rebel’s Refuge lies, there seems to be some sort of ancient structure, a castle or fortress perhaps, once glorious but now crumbling to the ground. Past it, is a sprawling forest, much larger than they know the Emberwood to be. And at its heart almost, lies a large plot of what seems to be trees barren and blackened, as if by some wildfire. Even weirder, there seem to be structures about that region, as if a small town or village stands amidst the remains. It’s all quite exciting and their adventuring heart tells them to go find out, but their minds are well aware this would be ill-advised at this point. They would be far off in unknown territory, unprepared, not to mention the risk of those herbs not being brought back in time to be processed, dried and brewed into potions.

@Heidi, @titsworth, @DarK_RaideR, @Ranger Hal if the Spider Hunters' task for this week is to do, your task is to not do. This week will be about learning to say no. Just because you can or want to do something doesn't mean you should. Put your foot down and refuse yourself that sugary treat. If you're trying to save money, resist that one more minor purchase. Tell that voice that suggests you skip just this workout to go F itself. Or, you know, say no to someone and set healthy boundaries, no reason to keep this task small if you don't want to. Much like the other group though, please do come back and share your successes!

"Alright, that's enough indoor work for now, lad" Nikko tells Guglug as the half orc wraps up the updated map. "Go get yourself some fresh air. Stretch your legs. You're going to hurt your back and eyes leaning over books in the candlelight day and night."

@Jarric your task this week is to reset the spine after too much of a bad posture pouring over scrolls. The goal is to do 10 glute bridges a day, either pausing at the top to do them as a stretch, or add some weight to turn them into a strength training exercise.

WEEK 5

With the goal of this initial trek completed, both the spider hunting and the herb gathering group find themselves in a point where they have to resist the temptation to explore further at this point. Instead, it's time to return back to Rebel's Refuge, unpack their inventory and rest before setting off for new adventures.

@Snarkyfishguts@Artemis Prime, @Elastigirl, @Sea-to-sky, @athousandwords, @Radost and @Heidi, @titsworth, @DarK_RaideR, @Ranger Hal , your goal for this week is to go on an extra walk or run. This means we're not counting things like your scheduled runs or a regular walk to work, school, University, grocery store or otherwise, that would happen anyway, were you not participating in this challenge. Add something on top of those. As for @Jarric, there have been no updates, here or on your challenge thread, about you following the Week 4 goals, so they will carry on into this final week for you: 10 glute bridges a day, either pausing at the top to do them as a stretch, or add some weight to turn them into a strength training exercise.

Last but not least, with this being the final week of this challenge cycle, every participant is encouraged to come back here and post a brief recap of how they did, what was their greatest success and what they struggled with the most.

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 7

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hello hello, welcome and well met!

Since we're still figuring this one out and make stuff up as we go along, I'm of the opinion we shouldn't make it overly technical, but instead accessible to everyone. So jump right in with your character concept as we hammer out what kind of tasks you can be expected to perform for each quest, so you can get together with other folks looking to tackle similar challenges and form adventuring parties. More or less, of course, because life is unpredictable and so are random encounters in the wild! ?

• Like 6

Lvl 65 Multitasker

A woman in a plain but sturdy cloak enters the Emberwood Inn, pleased to see that it is open and staffed. It is her first time in these parts, and a safe haven for the night is always welcome. She hangs her bow and quiver at the door, along with a pair of hand axes that are equally useful for clearing trails and dispatching monsters. Noticing the large posting on the wall, she peruses the board. Interesting work, but a bit above her current paygrade, at least solo. If some other adventurous spirits were willing to divide the work and the reward, though...

She reads the specials board with equal interest, finally deciding on a thick bowl of stew. You can always tell the quality of an inn by the quality of their stew. She takes her dish to a corner table with a clear view of the notice board and settles in to see who else shows an interest in the listed tasks.

Well, did not take long to talk myself into a ranger.  Ready to party up with like-minded adventurers!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • That's Metal 4

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

16 hours ago, Sovalis said:

“Adventurer’s Wanted”

Heidi notices the large sign as she enters the Emberwood Inn. She smiles a bit as she hangs her short cloak on a peg by the door, then heads to the bar. The smell of simple hearty bread and a bowl of stew is calling her like an old friend, and  considers the jobs as she takes a stool at the bar. "It's been a long time since I've had either supple knees or a youthful spine, but I do get around well enough," she says to the Barkeep. "I'd be happy to help gather some herbal remedies, especially after I've had a bit of stew and a cup of dark tea if you have it." 

She thinks a minute. The history of the places is always interesting to her, but the fact that there's a reward posted for information makes this a Mystery, and now it's interesting at a near-compulsive level. "What do you already know of this town, Avolen? I'm new here, but I have an eclectic batch of lore stored, and I'm on my way to the Library in the city, where there's a Diplomat's Conference. Perhaps I can fill in some gaps along the way."

• Like 4

&Heidi

West-Marches Campaign Herb-Gatherer

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid  Level 12 Philosopher and level 11 Librarian (built on the Monk class, with a training path in The Way of the Cobalt Soul)

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | :: 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 |

Shaman: 82 | 83 | 84

Philosopher-Librarian 85 |:: 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

Must be time for me to go down the character creation rabbit hole! I hope to emerge soon...

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 1

Level 21 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 18  -  CON: 22  -  CHA: 11  -  SAN: 19  -  INT: 17

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Jarric: The 'C' Team

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map - 2022 road map/wrap-up

On 9/6/2024 at 2:58 AM, Sea-to-sky said:

(I am very interested but currently have a bum leg so am out of commission for a while. Thus will just be following and join later if i can)

The Lore challenge will have a reading component, so I think you can work on that one! Stay tuned. ;)

• That's Metal 2

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

As the taproom door opens once again, a hulking figure steps inside, ducking below the doorframe. Once inside he pulls himself up, though he still stoops slightly as he lumbers his way towards the bar. His features are heavy, the strong nose below a heavy brow showing signs of an old breakage, and the grey-green skintone betraying some orcish ancestry. 

Moving to the bar the half-orc orders a stew. He gives a nod to the patron sat to his right, accompanied by a smile which reveals a hint of tusk-like teeth in the lower jaw. Casting his eyes around for a table, he spots a spare seat in the corner with a good view of the room. He approaches the table's single occupant, and speaks in a bassy voice.

"Mind if I join yuh?"

Figured I go with the character that's been my forum avatar for the last year or two - he's never seen as much play as I'd like him to, even when he was briefly the focus of some of my challenges.

• Like 6
  • That's Metal 2

Level 21 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map - 2022 road map/wrap-up

The ranger sizes up the orcish figure and grins. Now here's a fellow who looks like he can handle a few spiders. She reaches under the table with her boot and pushes the empty chair back from the table. "My table is your table, friend."

• Like 4

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

With an appreciative grunt and a half smile, the half orc takes the proffered seat and silently tucks in to his stew, keeping half an eye on the rest of the room.

• Like 3

Level 21 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

Spoiler

rv5Xquf.png

A stocky framed man with messy hair and a few days' worth of stubble on his chin enters the inn, a standard adventurer's backpack strapped on his back next to a fairly sized sword. He finds himself a table and lays a bag on it as he begins to unpack. His gaze meets the others around, which he achnowledges with a nod, then his eyes spot the noticeboard. "Ah, just the thing I needed" he says in a somewhat gravelly voice with a distinct but hard to place accent. "Was running out of coin, might as well earn my future meals and lodging."

Hello again, I decided to also join in with a character, build our numbers up. Besides, I don't really have any goals this challenge round due to basically uprooting my life to go live with my fiance in another country, so I might as well use the weekly goals of this here thing to keep me busy.

IMPORTANT GAME RELATED STUFF

• We are keeping the quests intentionally vague as to what they'll involve, because otherwise where's the adventure in that? However, from the description, you can probably ascertain what they could ask of you. Gathering herbs, maybe some kind of nutrition-related challenge to get you eating more vegetables? Spiders in the Woods, that's probably combat-related, so physical exercise is highly likely. Deciphering scrolls, sounds rather bookish. And so on.
  • Despite the vagueness, we do want to keep the RPG spirit of decision making, so expect situations where you will be given a choice of options. Depending on which task you perform, the story will steer accordingly.
  • Main narrative will be posted once a week, late Sunday or early Monday. That is also when each party will be informed of their weekly tasks.
  • Make sure you check in daily. There is a secret mechanism at work regarding random wilderness encounters and wandering monsters, which will be sprung on you during the week.
  • Tasks will be intentionally scaled to be more than what a single person could acomplish on their own. This is to encourage teaming up over solo questing.
  • Certain tasks will involve character death upon failure. If anyone can drop out with no consequences, no one is really encouraged to stick to things, at best people will not want to let their teammates down. If there's risk and consequence, there's challenge to be conquered. Make sure your character doesn't fall behind and if others do, make sure to have their back.
  • Rewards as far as narrative goes will mostly come in the form of magic items, treasure and gold, not rising in levels. Merely upgrading numerical attributes is bound to feel like a grind and after a certain point, it kinda loses any meaning (looking at you, Diablo 2). Plus, if there's no dice rolls and modifiers, what good is an increased attribute anyway. Instead, magic items will function as trinkets offering different ways to approach future challenges. There are also plans for gold to be stockpiled towards a more "domain level" project down the line, like fighters building a keep with a standing army, clerics erecting a temple to their deity, wizards compiling a library etc.
  • Don't forget to add your name to the spreadsheet and check the box of the respective job you want your character to take!
  • Like 9

Lvl 65 Multitasker

I'm definitely interested, most likely in getting rid of Spiders. Is this likely fit into/around my own challenge (which I still need to sit down and finalize before posting)? I'm a little worried about adding extra stuff in addition to what I'm already planning.

• Like 1

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27, #28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35Current

Walk to Mordor: 2019, 2020, 2021202220232024

Adventures: Adventurers Wanted: A West-Marches Campaign

9 hours ago, Ranger Hal said:

I'm definitely interested, most likely in getting rid of Spiders. Is this likely fit into/around my own challenge (which I still need to sit down and finalize before posting)? I'm a little worried about adding extra stuff in addition to what I'm already planning.

The intention is not to make it super hard, so even if it doesn’t directly fit, it should be fairly simple to knock out. What kinds of goals are you setting for your challenge, Hal?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Sovalis said:

The intention is not to make it super hard, so even if it doesn’t directly fit, it should be fairly simple to knock out. What kinds of goals are you setting for your challenge, Hal?

I'm borrowing and modifying @Artemis Prime's DnD format (feel like I probably want a different character for here, though). Main focus is some combination of gym cardio, climbing stairs, and hiking 3-4 times a week, with a mechanic built in for what happens if I miss a workout due to SAR.

• Like 3

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27, #28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35Current

3 hours ago, Ranger Hal said:

I'm borrowing and modifying @Artemis Prime's DnD format (feel like I probably want a different character for here, though). Main focus is some combination of gym cardio, climbing stairs, and hiking 3-4 times a week, with a mechanic built in for what happens if I miss a workout due to SAR.

Oh boy, I'm excited for what this looks like!

• Like 2

The door opens again, and   a petite , gray  haired elf walks in. She has been wandering a long time, and is grateful for the cozy inn with the large fireplace.  She loves to wander the hills, finding adventure, and enjoying all the sights and people that this land has.  People often think she is weak, because of her small stature, but she often surprises them with her strength and dexterity. Looking around, she sees the job board. In need of some coins, and up for a bit of adventure. She picks a job.

Hopefully,I am doing this right. Anyway, it sounds super fun., and I want to play. I signed up to fight the spiders of Emberwood.

• Like 7

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

6 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Not spoiling anything, but that herb gathering job would probably suit those goals best ? 

Ok, let's give this a shot. And if it turns out to be eating vegetables instead, that's probably not a bad thing!

A brown haired ranger in simple leather armor and a gray cloak walks into the inn, a large pack and longbow strapped to her back and a pair of shortswords at her sides. She asks Avolen for a bowl of stew as she studies the notice board. "I have some experience with plants and nowhere in particular to be right now. I could help with gathering some herbs."

• Like 6

Reminder for everyone to

1. Post a link to your challenge thread.
  2. Add your name to the spreadsheet and tick the box of the quest you'll be doing.
  3. Follow the challenge threads of people in the same quest group as you.

Week 1 narrative with tasks for each quest will be posted soon...

Avolen looks around at the adventuring types gathered at the Emberwood Inn on this night. The western edges of the Empire still offer a bit of adventure and treasure for those willing to take the necessary risks, so there's never been a lack of able bodied volunteers for all the work that needs doing around these parts. These people should suffice for now, and hopefully more will turn up to join the ranks as the days go on.

"Right, you lot have an idea of what's needed, form up and see your respective people depending on what you're out to do" she says to the patrons in the common room. "Those looking to assist Ellereth Weedweaver with the gathering of herbs, speak to the apothecary over there for further instructions. Lukaas can fill you in if you're in a spider-slaying mood. As for the history of this place, you can offer your help to Niko the Scribe, his house is on the other end of the outpost. Far away as possible from the noise of the Inn, I suppose."

Patrons shuffle about as they group up around their designated quest informers. It's not a particularly busy night, but the excitement in the air makes the place almost pulsate with energy.

"Your task will take you to the mountains north of here" Ellereth Weedweaver tells the group assembled around the apothecary. "I beseech you to go there and gather the herbs I require, before the weather gets any worse and that area becomes impossible to traverse. I shall give you detailed instructions of what I need, how to locate it, how to harvest it properly and how much of each I will require."

Those of you who have taken up this quest are headed up the mountains! Any movement that simulates upward movement on your feet counts and we're measuring progress in steps. You can take the stairs, especially if doing so means you're skipping the elevator. You can use one of those stair-like treadmill machines at the gym. You could just do lunges. Or go for full-on simulation and hike on a mountain, just remember to have a step tracking app on or use a website like Stridekick to convert the distance you trekked into steps. Your goal is to hit 1.000 of these steps each by the end of Week 1!

Lukaas takes a very long sip as he finishes his drink, creating that dramatic effect of expectation as he soaks in the attention he's receiving. "Well, as any adventurer worth their salt will tell you, the best way to go about dealing with giant spiders is fire" he tells his newfound audience. "Them critters hate a flame and their webs tend to be so try they almost evaporate when you get your torch near them. However, these have infested the Emberwood. You don't want to start a forest fire. Especially if you're in the middle of said forest, but I digress, just don't start forest fires. Remember that if you find yourself thinking about slinging some fire magic, assuming you're the spellcasting type, of course. For now, we'll start with the basics: no torches. Make sure you bring some other light sources with you, lanterns or something. A more controlled option of illumination."

Those out to hunt spiders need to control their light sources first. Less light in your eyes means less screen time, in this case. Put that phone down before going to sleep and give your eyes a break. Progress will be measured in minutes, the time between turning your TV/computer/phone off and going to bed, even if it's a rough estimate. Your baseline goal is 90 minutes, so a minimum of 15' every night for Week 1, excluding Sunday. There will, however, be an added bonus if you can do even better than that!

Those heading out to Niko's cabin are spared the formalities, as the ever practical scribe puts them to work immediately under the tireless gaze of his companion owl, which sports an unusual greenish plumage. Piles of books, scrolls and other documents are placed in front of everyone available to go through them, most in obscure languages that ensure this will take a while...

So, you have chosen to help with the translations. Chances are you're already using a popular application that involves Niko's mildly threatening familiar, so your task is to do your daily Duolingo quests for Week 1 (bonus points if you take screenshots and share them here). If you're not involved with that and don't wish to start now either, worry not, for there is also an alternative option for you, the more app-adverse learner of foreign languages. Your task for the first week of the challenge shall be to watch a movie in a foreign language, no dubs or subtitles.

• Like 6
  • That's Metal 2

Lvl 65 Multitasker

Heidi awakes in the pre-dawn dark, and ckecks in -- the Bookworm that laid her out Sunday night seems to have quieted, and this is a relief. She has a vague memory of eating a brilliant bowl of stew and listening to some warm conversation before being hit by an Episode and retiring to her room. Definitely a collection of Rangers, and they always seem to know each other, even when they haven't met before. And was there a half-orc as well? She remembers a half-orc smiling and also eating stew, taking  his bowl to the table with the Rangers. 

She gets up and stretches, and the world doesn't spin. This is good.

Putting on her clothes, she remembers something about herb gathering, and as the light lifts in the East, she decides this is how she'd like to spend her morning before the kitchen opens. She dons her trusty shoes and fetches a waterskin from her pack. She's traveling light  this morning. The air has an early autumn chill, and she slips the short cloak off its hook by the door as she makes her way out. She doesn't know what sort of herbs are wanted, but she heads toward the lake, hoping to get a lay of the flora in these parts. A mile there-and-back-again seems like a good idea to ease into her day, and she makes note of the flowers and grasses and the woods nearby. At the lake, she  finds a small skiff and rows around the marshy end of the lake, about 500 meters, just seeing what sort of herbs and cress grow along the bank, spotting some fish under the water, glinting in the strengthening light of day.
She ties the skiff back up and sets some stones to rights. They aren't heavy, just enough to make her feel as though she's working a bit and being useful. 
Back at the Inn, she discovers a steam cave with a room of hot rocks to one side, and spends a few minutes in each, letting the warmth sink into her bones. This is her favorite sort of morning meditation.

She showers and makes her way downstairs, feeling better than she has in a year. She wonders what jobs will be on the board, and if she dreamed up the half-orc. She wonders what sort of herbs are wanted and why. But mostly she wonders if there is tea.  She hears sounds in the kitchen area and  finds Avolen with a hot brew at the ready. This herb-gathering is going to be just the ticket to help reset her balance with the Bookworm.

Here's my Challenge Thread!

Well-met, fellow adventurers!!

• Like 6

&Heidi

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid  Level 12 Philosopher and level 11 Librarian (built on the Monk class, with a training path in The Way of the Cobalt Soul)

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

Entering Niko's cabin, Guglug imagines he cuts an unusual figure, ducking under the door frame and crouching amongst the tomes of books. To his great surprise Niko appears unfased, and he's immediately put to work under the critical eye of Niko's chouette (unless it's a hibou, translation came easier to Guglug that foreign taxonomy). Either way, it was a relief to be working in the warm for a change, rather than stalking a forest full of spiders.

Hi all, good luck with week 1! As you can see I've decided to appease the owl this week.

• Like 7

Level 21 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

Spoiler

49 minutes ago, Jarric said:

Niko's chouette (unless it's a hibou, translation came easier to Guglug that foreign taxonomy).

Quite an interesting thing to research (and by that, I mean google). Apparently in French, there are actually two words for owls. Le hibou is an owl with egrets on its head (those feathers that look like “ears”), while la chouette is an owl without egrets.

My current challenge

Guess I'll save my in-character RP for when/if a random encounter happens this week. Oh yeah, I did mention those are a thing, didn't I? Make sure to check in at least daily, you never know what might happen!

• Like 6

Lvl 65 Multitasker

57 minutes ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Make sure to check in at least daily, you never know what might happen!

My plan is to check in after the gym and sauna.

Keystoning ftw :) 

• Like 3

&Heidi

Spoiler