Forums are back in action! ×

Adventurer’s Wanted: A West-Marches Campaign

Heidi took a hit from the .303 Bookworm and felt the world spin and grow dark. Her ears rang and nothing made sense. She fumbled in her small satchel for a Maxalt potion and her flask of tea, swallowed, and laid down in a patch of moss until the storm passed, however long that might take.

The storm unleashed some serious TBI effects, with a tornado coming through and messing with the atmospheric pressure, which also messes with my head. It was a long night, friends, and I’m glad I have Maxalt and a safe sturdy building. 

• Like 2
  • Wow 3

&Heidi

West-Marches Campaign Herb-Gatherer

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid  Level 12 Philosopher and level 11 Librarian (built on the Monk class, with a training path in The Way of the Cobalt Soul)

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | :: 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 |

Shaman: 82 | 83 | 84

Philosopher-Librarian 85 |:: 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

Just now, Heidi said:

Heidi took a hit from the .303 Bookworm and felt the world spin and grow dark. Her ears rang and nothing made sense. She fumbled in her small satchel for a Maxalt potion and her flask of tea, swallowed, and laid down in a patch of moss until the storm passed, however long that might take.

The storm unleashed some serious TBI effects, with a tornado coming through and messing with the atmospheric pressure, which also messes with my head. It was a long night, friends, and I’m glad I have Maxalt and a safe sturdy building. 

Please take the best care of you. We want you safe and intact. ❤️ Sending so much love. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 minutes ago, Sovalis said:

Please take the best care of you. We want you safe and intact. ❤️ Sending so much love. 

Thank you.

I want me safe and intact, too. :) 

• Like 2

&Heidi

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid  Level 12 Philosopher and level 11 Librarian (built on the Monk class, with a training path in The Way of the Cobalt Soul)

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

Today's Adventuring Limerick is for all you tunnel explorers!

Now this is mysterious indeed -

To where could these strange tunnels lead?

We really must know

So through them we go

Our hunger for answers to feed.

• Like 6
  • That's Metal 1

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

Friday: not much walking, but I did get 5 minutes in on the elliptical before bouldering.

Once again, Rezka studied the darkening sky. What even was that color after the sun had set? Like a tan that fades into sort of teal and then blue? Very strange.

• Like 3

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27, #28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35Current

Walk to Mordor: 2019, 2020, 2021202220232024

Adventures: Adventurers Wanted: A West-Marches Campaign

I did some squats yesterday while the kettle boiled, mostly because I was feeling out of sorts from the TBI things and from not getting to go to the gym. Many thanks to our DMs for bringing this into my life. 

Heidi wakes from the Bookworm state and looks around, giving thanks for the soft moss patch that has held her so gently over the last howeverlong. Her kit and kettle are still with her, and she gathers a few more herbs while the water heats for tea. She doesn’t know how many herbs Ellereth wants, but these few seem different from the ones in the field before. The trail is full of blessings.

• Like 4

&Heidi

Spoiler

On 9/28/2024 at 2:34 PM, Artemis Prime said:

Today's Adventuring Limerick is for all you tunnel explorers!

Now this is mysterious indeed -

To where could these strange tunnels lead?

We really must know

So through them we go

Our hunger for answers to feed.

You are very good at these - limerick writing is hard!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Level 21 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 18  -  CON: 22  -  CHA: 11  -  SAN: 19  -  INT: 17

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Jarric: The 'C' Team

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map - 2022 road map/wrap-up

I've been focusing less on the amount of walking - I do quite a bit anyway - and more on the mindfulness aspect that goes with it.

I've not been good at tracking this, but here's where I think I am:

• Tuesday - I made an effort to be aware of my surroundings on my walk home, and saw a squirrel right next to the path in park. He was absolutely fearless - I could have almost reached out and picked him up.
  • Thursday - I took a walk across another park, and watched the birds picking at the site of last year's bonfire. I wondered if they were trying to get the last worms out of the soil whilst they could, before this year's bonfire was placed on the same site on Saturday.
  • Friday - On my walk home from the gym, I saw an albino squirrel on a fence. It's not the first one that I've seen round here, and I wonder if there are quite a few about or if it's just the same one in different locations.
  • Today - I tried to pay attention to my surroundings as WW and I walked out to a café. I don't think I saw anything or note, but the effort counts.

I'm calling it 4/7 for the week so far, but I'll have a go at doing something on Monday as well, as that seems to fit the timing of when tasks are announced.

Guglug walked on, ostensibly searching for holes, but in reality stopping often to document and study the local fauna. He felt the fresh air was doing him good, even if his head was still buried in a notebook for much of the time.

• Like 4

Level 21 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 18  -  CON: 22  -  CHA: 11  -  SAN: 19  -  INT: 17

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Jarric: The 'C' Team

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map - 2022 road map/wrap-up

17 hours ago, Jarric said:

You are very good at these - limerick writing is hard!

Thank you very much. It's been coming pretty smoothly, but I struggled with today's. I gave up on the limerick and instead present, Ode to the Dungeon Master:

Creator of Worlds and Giver of Quests

Ruler of all from East to West

'Neath the light the sun and the gleam of the moon

From Imp to Orcus, all dance to your tune.

Giving hours of free time (what free time?) to prep

Mapping and scheming while all of us slept

Now let every player from fighter to caster

Cry hail to thee, Oh Great Dungeon Master!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • That's Metal 3

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

Deep in the Emberwood, investigation of the writings seems to indicate two things; one, knowledge of, or at least interest in, spider intricacies. The writing is hard to decipher out of the blue, but the sketches of web patterns and of spiders with different looks, as if individualized or at least ranked in type, shows the writer thinks more of these creatures than just “large spiders making webs”. Two, there is some sort of artistic effort at play. The images, some more than others, appear to be more like idealized depictions than realistic documentation. Even the writing, in its strange scribbled alphabet, has a sense of rhythm in how certain symbols are repeated in it. This is probably more than just a basic message, combined with the miniature shrines and offerings discovered, they could be poems, praises or hymns to the Forest and the spiders, though exactly what they say and how they view this all is hard to tell at this point. This also seems to match with the findings of Radost, a campsite and items that suggest whoever came there, stayed a while and they did so without fear of being devoured by the spiders. More importantly, there’s tracks from the campsite leading further into the hills in the north west.

While all of this is discussed and relayed between the party members, Ursina’s mind begins to fill with different kinds of questions. Has the group slain enough spiders to keep their numbers in check? Will this act of aggression prompt a violent response? And if not by the spiders, perhaps by these creatures who seem to have some sort of relationship to them? Should the group seek them out? And how will this interaction be affected by the party’s actions so far and the dead spiders behind them? As the questions become overbearing, almost screaming inside her head, she snaps out of it and looks around her. The entire group has been caught up in such a discussion, arguing back and forth. They need to snap out of this and take action, lest they be lost in these woods forever!

@Snarkyfishguts@Artemis Prime, @Elastigirl, @Sea-to-sky, @athousandwords, @Radost your task for this week is to stop overthinking, stop procrastrinating and just do the thing. Utlize those 20 seconds of courage to achieve at least one thing you've been doubting or putting off or analyzing to death instead of actually doing it, then come back and tell us about it. Get out of that forest!

• Like 5
  • That's Metal 2

Lvl 65 Multitasker

With Rezka and Heidi leading the way, the party sent out to gather herbs follow the paths, eager to explore and discover where they lead, or at least find any more interesting clues as to those who seem to be using them. This hike takes them even higher on the mountain, well past the point where any noticeable vegetation manages to grow. The air is cold and bursts of wind feel like they’re scraping against the explorer’s faces. At last, after a long trek along a snaking path that slowly circles the mountain as much as it goes up it, the herb gatherers reach a spot where they get a good view of the lands beyond. Just past the foot of the mountain to the north, on the other side of where Rebel’s Refuge lies, there seems to be some sort of ancient structure, a castle or fortress perhaps, once glorious but now crumbling to the ground. Past it, is a sprawling forest, much larger than they know the Emberwood to be. And at its heart almost, lies a large plot of what seems to be trees barren and blackened, as if by some wildfire. Even weirder, there seem to be structures about that region, as if a small town or village stands amidst the remains. It’s all quite exciting and their adventuring heart tells them to go find out, but their minds are well aware this would be ill-advised at this point. They would be far off in unknown territory, unprepared, not to mention the risk of those herbs not being brought back in time to be processed, dried and brewed into potions.

@Heidi, @titsworth, @DarK_RaideR, @Ranger Hal if the Spider Hunters' task for this week is to do, your task is to not do. This week will be about learning to say no. Just because you can or want to do something doesn't mean you should. Put your foot down and refuse yourself that sugary treat. If you're trying to save money, resist that one more minor purchase. Tell that voice that suggests you skip just this workout to go F itself. Or, you know, say no to someone and set healthy boundaries, no reason to keep this task small if you don't want to. Much like the other group though, please do come back and share your successes!

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 2

Lvl 65 Multitasker

"Alright, that's enough indoor work for now, lad" Nikko tells Guglug as the half orc wraps up the updated map. "Go get yourself some fresh air. Stretch your legs. You're going to hurt your back and eyes leaning over books in the candlelight day and night."

@Jarric your task this week is to reset the spine after too much of a bad posture pouring over scrolls. The goal is to do 10 glute bridges a day, either pausing at the top to do them as a stretch, or add some weight to turn them into a strength training exercise.

• Like 3

Lvl 65 Multitasker

Hmmm...I shall have to think about this. Unfortunately, while getting into the local gaming venue for an evening would be the perfect quest for this, the owners are on vacation this week and the place is shut down. It will be open again on Sunday, maybe I'll squeeze a visit in then, but that's rather leaving it to the last moment. I'll see if I can come up with a good alternative before then.

Shava closed her eyes and breathed deeply, shutting out the external noise and sifting through the internal noise. There had to be something she could act on, but what?  She knew there was something right in front of her, she had only to identify it.

• Like 3

On 9/29/2024 at 4:41 PM, Jarric said:

I've been focusing less on the amount of walking - I do quite a bit anyway - and more on the mindfulness aspect that goes with it.

I've not been good at tracking this, but here's where I think I am:

• Tuesday - I made an effort to be aware of my surroundings on my walk home, and saw a squirrel right next to the path in park. He was absolutely fearless - I could have almost reached out and picked him up.
  • Thursday - I took a walk across another park, and watched the birds picking at the site of last year's bonfire. I wondered if they were trying to get the last worms out of the soil whilst they could, before this year's bonfire was placed on the same site on Saturday.
  • Friday - On my walk home from the gym, I saw an albino squirrel on a fence. It's not the first one that I've seen round here, and I wonder if there are quite a few about or if it's just the same one in different locations.
  • Today - I tried to pay attention to my surroundings as WW and I walked out to a café. I don't think I saw anything or note, but the effort counts.

I'm calling it 4/7 for the week so far, but I'll have a go at doing something on Monday as well, as that seems to fit the timing of when tasks are announced.

Guglug walked on, ostensibly searching for holes, but in reality stopping often to document and study the local fauna. He felt the fresh air was doing him good, even if his head was still buried in a notebook for much of the time.

I really like this way of assessing. I too was mindful on days that I didn't go on extra walks.

I also appreciate your insights. I am getting real Beatrix-Potter-But-Metal vibes. :) 

I was just about to log in to the forums yesterday when an alert came through that the electrical system downtown (where I live) had caused a fire in a large building and that fire crews would be shutting off power for an "extended amount of time" while they addressed the situation. I started to panic and scramble, worried that I would look bad or get in trouble (what does that even mean? I'm an adult) if I wasn't able to connect to work and do the babysitting tasks that have recently come my way.

Wait a minute, I'm an adult, I do good work, I am not a slacker, this is not a problem, things happen, the power is out. 

I took this as a sign from the Universe that the rest I wanted was granted, notified my team, logged off, and took a nap. When I woke up, the power was back on and all was well.  Ihad missed the afternoon and the sky did not fall. People had been rescued, buildings had been saved, and I was restored to okay-enough. This is the Way.

15 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

your task is to not do

Dang, messages from the Universe abound.

Heard.

Chef Cooking GIF by The Bear

1 hour ago, Artemis Prime said:

Shava closed her eyes and breathed deeply, shutting out the external noise and sifting through the internal noise. There had to be something she could act on, but what?  She knew there was something right in front of her, she had only to identify it.

Farms are never lacking in places that are wanting 20 seconds of gumption. I look forward to seeing what you choose.

This morning I said "no" to the toxic workplace pressure and took my long way to the gym, the same as yesterday morning.

Yesterday I was mindful of the street art

(spoilered for size):

Spoiler

PXL_20240930_114519051.jpg

PXL_20240930_114507046.jpg

PXL_20240930_114503346.jpg

PXL_20240930_114456194.jpg

PXL_20240930_114450824.jpg

PXL_20240930_114445234.jpg

And this morning I noticed the peace pole that is across the street from my building, along with a message of community 

(spoilered for size):

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

PXL_20241001_115340491.jpg

Yesterday's walk was shorter than normal overall, but it broke through the stasis, and it was helpful. I'm glad I went. I ended up spending a longer time in the steam room than usual, not on purpose just as the spirit moved me, and apparently this was needed. I'm glad I gave myself permission to forget about clocks and time and measurements.

This morning I walked a mile, which feels like "success" to me. Again the steam room and the sauna before work. This is an excellent "commute."

• Like 9

&Heidi

Spoiler

I just noticed the extended write-up on the main post, and thank you @Sovalis! I really like having it all in one place!

Also, it can't be week four yet already, can it?? How is that possible?

• Like 1

&Heidi

Spoiler

Ursina shifted on her feet and said “Oh bother” 

She could think of several things that require courage… She takes a deep breath “Bears are brave.”   Then she starts preparing…she starts by pulling out her magical fruit and swipes her finger across it. She grimaces as she orders a ticket to her 25th reunion. Her old frenemy and underlings will be there, but so will several other bears she hasn’t seen since they were cubs. She’d really like to go, but the dramaaaaaa. Ursina unwittingly growls and bears her teeth. She’ll summon the courage to actually go in two weeks, but for now, she has her ticket.

”I need tea.” She removes her hat and shoves it down deep in the bag and then sits with her empty teacup, hoping that the next brave moment doesn’t come with so many feelings. She focuses on the faces of her friends and hopes they have the courage to show up too. 

• Like 4

Heidi feels the lure of of will-o'-the-wisps pulling her from this safe space, pleading with her to leave the Good Path this morning, just as she did yesterday morning. "Feel useful and feel safe, come with us and set your Persistent Fear down, just for a minute." But she knows that no matter how welcoming and cozy these lights are, they are actually malevolent and would only reinforce the fears until the fears bound her and enslaved her. She had fought too hard to be free, and wasn't interested in whatever these souls barred from heaven were peddling. She made her way out the door and onto the path, greeted immediately by the Peace Pole. She was in the right place.

• Like 3

&Heidi

Spoiler

Grewynn is a very practical elf.  She  enjoys seeing the order in things, and bringing order to things. However, with that strength their comes the weakness of  not really enjoying her creative, artistic side.  If she isn't confident that she  can create something amazing with art, she doesn't do it, which means she usually doesn't attempt it. Looking at the parcels though shows her that she is going to have to use her creativity to solve this problem.  She thinks about her friend at home, Tsintah, who   worked so diligently ,through trial and error to make her granddaughter's skirt, and she decides that she too, can learn new things.

I bought a paint by number kit a year ago, and stuffed it away with all my other neglected craft projects. I realized I was over thinking it. Worrying about whether I could do it right, I bought it for a fun, creative thing to do. No law says I have to hang it in our living room.Or even finish it, if paint by number isn't my thing.? So I started it tonight.And I enjoyed it. Tsintah is based on my real life friend who made a skirt for her granddaughter. SHe really struggled with it, and went to a friend to help, but she got it done.  I want to be more like that.

• That's Metal 6

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

On 10/1/2024 at 10:16 AM, Heidi said:

Farms are never lacking in places that are wanting 20 seconds of gumption. I look forward to seeing what you choose.

This is true, though I feel like it's less needing 20 seconds of courage and more needing 20 seconds of not being mired in another project.

Still, I've been putting off calling in an electrician because I'm trying to get everything straightened out in my head, but that's the whole point of calling an electrician, they know all this stuff that I am currently trying to figure out on my own. 

• Like 6

Given the way the last couple of nights have gone (and my sleep habits in general), my goal is to say no to staying up past midnight.

Tuesday: success at not staying up past midnight

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 4

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27, #28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35Current

Walk to Mordor: 2019, 2020, 2021202220232024

Adventures: Adventurers Wanted: A West-Marches Campaign

Only a small thing, but tried on trousers that were not jeans yesterday when buying much needed clothing options. Sounds small but its pushing myself out of the comfort zone i have been jammed in the past few years of endless tshirt + jeans combos. Sadly the available options in chords just did not work for me cut wise, but it is forward momentum at least

• Like 6
  • That's Metal 1

the creative spelling comes as standard. Enjoy! 
A journey of thousand miles, begins with a single step - Lao Tzu

Challenge: #1#2#3#4#5#6#7#8

Wednesday:

• Spent some time in good hard reflection looking at how intrusive the Brain PT schedule is going to be and how much friction it was causing to try to wedge it in. I ended up counting at least four significant points where I was dismissing the difficulty or friction (notably marked by me saying “it will be fine.”) I was thinking that over when the Brain PT tech called, and I said “let’s put this on hold until at least next semester,” and he agreed.
  • Said no to the night-before jitters that tried to have me up all night doing an anything-project (cleaning, reorganizing, whatever). 

Thursday:

• Said “no thank you” to the pre-court panicle this morning. Also begged off from having a post-court Lunch with friends, because I’m just too emotionally spent to do the post-mortem, especially on an effort that ultimately ended in “let’s talk about this more in February.”
  • Like 6

&Heidi

Spoiler

Ursina pops into the kitchen and starts talking in a funny, lowing voice. "Helloooooooo. Let's be adventurous in the kitchen!"  She grins "I love Julia Child, she was very Bearish, you know."  She pops on a chef's hat and it sits askew on top of her head. 

Spicy Skillet Chicken Recipe - BettyCrocker.com

I made this recipe for dinner tonight.  What I love about it is that I made the chicken and rice ahead of time. So tonight I open up a couple cans and just throw everything in the pan and heat it up.

And a recipe we are having next week that we've had before James May Veggie Burgers

James May's delicious veggie burgers | This Morning (itv.com)

We didn't have access to the apple stuffing so we used a little stouffer's stuffing mix and a little applesauce.  I don't think I would call it a burger as much as a patty. I think burger makes you think of specific textures and flavors. This is really good though, even my carnivorous dad enjoyed it.

Ursina removes the cap and surveys the meals. "Well isn't that dandy? Do be mindful of the sodium, neighbears. You may want to drink some green tea with these and have a banana in the morning." she waves goodbye and walks out the door. 

• Like 5