Forums are back in action! ×

The Minimalism Game - 30 Days to Less Stuff! [Sept. 14 - Oct. 13, 2015]

Is anyone starting to struggle yet?

Honestly, my biggest struggle right now is that my garage has become a staging area for all the stuff I want to get rid of. I think I have enough to last a couple of rounds of this game. My plan is to work the thirty days, and then take a major haul to Goodwill, at which point I'll just count the items for curiosity's sake. ;).

... It's like the stuff is crawling out of the walls. I knew I had a lot, but it was all put away in nice storage boxes and baskets. So much stuff! I can identify at least three or four identity crises. There's a Martha Stewart phase (started that one just after I got married), the retro rockabilly phase, closely followed by the 40s phase, the flea-market decorating phase, the craftsman bungalow phase, theres a small Gatsby phase in there, and so many others..... It's like I've been trying on different personality types to see what fits.... This exercise has been a major eye opener for me. ;)

• Like 2

Day 9: Today's 15

Day 9

More feminine hygiene products

Weird hairspray stuff I have no idea why we bought

Tucks I'm happy to say are no longer needed, since the DH has been drinking smoothies daily

Expired Benadryl & Allegra

Expired itch cream

Another foot brush

More feminine hygiene products

Eye solution I don't use

A hand full of the accrued contact cases I have

Random gauze 

The shot glass for some medication or another

• Like 1

Level 87 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 8485 | 86 | 87  ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

9 more things gone now.  Two lotions of a brand I don't use, extra foot soles, a glade air freshener plug, and a few more pieces of random things here and there.

It's getting a little tougher now I admit.  I have a few drawers to look into in the master bedroom and some places in the office to dig through as well.

• Like 1

Race: Were-Jaguar | Class: CodeMONKey

Level: 18 | STR: 46  | DEX: 41  | STA: 35  | CON: 51  | WIS: 57 | CHA: 47

Spoiler

---

Challenges: CURRENT

18TH | 17TH | 16TH 15TH 14TH | 13TH | 12.5TH | 12TH | 11TH |

10TH | 9TH | 8TH 7TH | 6TH | 5TH | 4TH | 3RD | 2ND | 1ST

Accountbilbuddies: Artists unite for March/April 2017!

---

"Everyone's the same height when you punch them hard enough"

---

NF Character Profile | BATTLE LOG | Tumblr | DeviantArt | Warhammer 40k Shenanigans

Back home at last and ready for a purge. Things I got rid of today

- A wooden board, masquerading as a useless shelf in my wardrobe

- A plastic bucket. Never know who bought it, never used it

- An old bathing sponge. No clue why I've been keeping it

Once the rain goes away, there's some furniture to dispose of...

• Like 1

Lvl 65 Multitasker

yesterday's 8 was: a bookmark, some old batteries, a wad or old receipts, a pair of earrings and a bracelet, an old laptop cable, a hair stick, and a giant load of library books :) 

Starting to get a little tricky for me as well, but I think i definitely can make this happen.  Haven't really looked at the kitchen or bathroom, or the Mystery Cabinet...

• Like 1

LEVEL ONE APPRENTICE WIZARD RANGER: HUMAN UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE

Achievements Unlocked:  Breakfast Warrior, Pushupapalooza, Quadruple Nanomaster, Return From the Dead, Gainful Employment, Leap of Faith, Minimalism Game, Get Thee Behind Me, Coffee, Camp Nerd Fitness 2015, Return From the Dead 2: The Undeadening, Gainful Employment 2: Boss Edition, Fancy Comics Person, Rogue Hair

Tumblr of VERY INTERESTING ART: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/radicalwizardtimes

Still making up lol.

Sunday-

3 dress shirts

1 vest

1 workout shirt

2 pairs of dress pants

Monday-

1 pair of shorts

7 books

Still need to finish today with 9 items.. More than likely this will be an ongoing catchup challenge for me :)

Wolf

"Let the Boomstick do the talking."

• Like 1

Wild Wolf

Class: Peerless Scarred/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 188#

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Intro to Wolflean

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Gotham Project: 1

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

Today's 8:

• Two (2) old pillowcases.
  • Two (2) books full of old burned DVDs.
  • Another book of burned CDs.
  • Rain jacket.
  • Painting canvas.
  • Bunch more old, ratty comics.
  • Like 1

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

Working on a new sweater for the Dear Partner, and enjoying making my way through the Knitting Nightmare stash of yarn that has accumulated in my study.

Because of the thesis, books are starting to flow into my life again. I'm doing what I can to get them from libraries so that they have an expiration date for taking up space.

Sent from my KFAPWA using Tapatalk

• Like 1

&Heidi

West-Marches Campaign Herb-Gatherer

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid  Level 12 Philosopher and level 11 Librarian (built on the Monk class, with a training path in The Way of the Cobalt Soul)

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | :: 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 |

Shaman: 82 | 83 | 84

Philosopher-Librarian 85 |:: 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

Trash day today:

Threw away 3 contact lens cases, and 7 things I will never wear from my closet and that can't go to goodwill. 

:)  

Still itching to get rid of more stuff.  I woke up this morning to a basically empty bedroom.  It felt awesome!  I didn't trip over anything in the dark, I didn't have to shuffle past anything, I didn't have to look at a pile of crap and sigh and think "I'll get to that later."  It's a really nice way to start the day!  

• Like 4
Day 10's 15

Day 10

Pine lotion from Williams Sonoma - one of my favorite fragrances, but I've been "saving" this for 3 years

Same deal with the other big lotion - this one fresh tomato scented

Various wipes

2 old pairs eyeglasses

Old hair gel

Old anti razor bump powder

Really, really old pills

Gross travel tube of something random

Surplus tooth cleaners

Why do I have mousse? Who bought mousse? I don't remember buying mousse

And bag balm I've literally had since I worked at Revco - in 1996 - which I only bought because I was in love with the packaging. 

• Like 2

Level 87 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 8485 | 86 | 87  ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||

Tomato lotion? That is a thing?  If it actually smells like delicious fresh tomatoes I may have to look into that once I finish off my current lotion...

Yesterday's 9"

Ineffective deoderant

ancient roll of tape

two paperback books

face cream I have owned since high school

crappy hair product

hideous pink umbrella

ratty old purse

Aaand a cute white dress that is too tight around my hips, where I am all muscle, no fat.  Not a dress I am going to be able to fit into, due to the EPIC POWER OF MY LOWER BODY! MUAHAHA!  

Last night felt like a breakthrough for me - like I'm finally getting serious about this challenge, and gaining momentum.  Although I'm going to have to work hard to purge several day's worth of stuff before heading to camp...

• Like 3

Achievements Unlocked:  Breakfast Warrior, Pushupapalooza, Quadruple Nanomaster, Return From the Dead, Gainful Employment, Leap of Faith, Minimalism Game, Get Thee Behind Me, Coffee, Camp Nerd Fitness 2015, Return From the Dead 2: The Undeadening, Gainful Employment 2: Boss Edition, Fancy Comics Person, Rogue Hair

@Rowan: It's amazing and smells exactly like the stem of a tomato plant. But, I've had it for almost a decade and keep "saving" it - for what, I don't know. Maybe the apocalypse? 

That's it. I need to smell like tomatoes in the apocalypse + be surrounded by lots of other things I've "saved" over the years for no known reason, other than to not "waste" whatever it is. 

And I feel ya on the upcoming hardness. I've purged ahead to day 14 and if I can eek another 15 out of the bathroom, I'll be able to start fresh with the increasing numbers somewhere else in the house. I've identified maaaaaybe 5 additional bathroom things I can purge - 10 more is going to be tricky, but dammit, I'm determined to allow my anal-retentive brain to go for it. 

Annndddd.... go you for throwing out a dress BECAUSE YOU"RE TOO MUCH OF A BADASS to fit into it! Whoo! 

• Like 1

Level 87 Wood Elf Druid

||Char/RPG||

Smelling like fresh tomatoes seems like a pretty solid apocalypse plan to me!  

• Like 2

Nice work guys.  For anyone starting to struggle, take a look at your book or DVD collections.  There's bound to be a handful you'll never watch again that are worthy of donation!  Or even tackle that junk drawer/box/tote sitting somewhere.

Today's 9:

• A whole raft of old user's manuals and their assorted baggage/useless items
  • Two (2) AV to jack cords
  • Two (2) mysterious cords that I believe belong to old video game systems I no longer own
  • Two (2) DVDs just for the heck of it,
  • And one (1) weird quote book.

Definitely over count for today but I'm keeping myself accountable!

• Like 3

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

9th batch of 30 things done yesterday - I decided to go through the closet one more time and found a stash of nail polish, plus my DIY acrylic nail kit from the flamenco guitar performing days. GONE!

I kept looking at the two baskets of makeup and miscellany I was dithering about and giving myself until the weekend to decide... SORTED. 90% GONE. That finished Day 9 and started off Day 10.

Took a final pass through closet and bathrooms and finished off today's 30. BATHROOMS AND CLOSET - FINALLY DONE!!!

I am still amazed that I found 300 things. Good grief. I have two empty drawers in one bathroom and its cabinet and the other four drawers have all sorts of room in them. I have two empty shelves in the closet to use for the bulk paper goods that I've been storing in the office and some off season clothes storage as I go through the bedroom. Yay! That will free up some space in those rooms!

The bathroom still needs the tile cleaned and some other cleaning to be totally renewed, but I've managed to do some of the deep cleaning of drawers and cabinetry already. Saturday's chore, with a new shower curtain and rings (old one has water deposits and rusty rings - yuck) in the big bath as a reward once I finish off my bonus round of cleaning.

I'm a third of the way through my turbo-charged PURGE ALL THE JUNK!!!

300/900

On to the bedroom tomorrow. Closet, dresser drawers, jewelry case and box, knick knacks... I'm coming for you!

• Like 4

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir