Hey, here we are with yet another challenge that is almost a duplicate of the one before, but if it ain't broke, right? And isn't the beauty of year-long goals that I don't have to come up with new ones each challenge? So let's jump to it:

1. Become an Ordained Deacon in the ACNA
My current class runs just a couple weeks past the end of this challenge. So my goals for this challenge are to 
1 - Keep up with class assignments
2 - Register for my summer class
3 - Finish meeting with my Parish Discernment Committee (meetings scheduled for April 10 and 17)

2. Strength GainZ
The stars have aligned to have my next training block kick off in Week 1 of this challenge! I love when that happens. Reducing my current workout goal to 2 lifting sessions per week. It's all lunges, rows, and deadlifts as currently scheduled, so going to think about how I want to add some pushing work in. Also going to swap barbell rows out for dumbbells. Cardio-wise, going to shoot for 2 cardio workouts a week, and one must be a run. I've got a 5k to do on May 4th, after all!

Side note - I just got a Fitbit because it came up cheap in an auction and so far I'm having fun playing with it. Not incorporating its metrics into any goals at the moment, but this may be a future development.

3. Finish Barndominium
Top priority now that the weather should be more cooperative is getting the siding stained. Not going to stress about getting it all done this challenge, though,  because that really is 100% weather dependent. Also going to work on finishing interior walls, then possibly ceiling work or maybe skip right to getting the deck on so apartment work won't require hauling things up a ladder. I also want to add a hot line to my fence, which technically isn't part of the barn,  but I'm including it here.

• Like 9

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

Format-wise, there are just a few tweaks I'm making to this challenge.

First, I'm going to make Monday my update day. Daily updates sometimes help me keep momentum, but it's feeling like a bit much at the moment. That means things won't be as in-depth, but if you guys want any more details on things, feel free to ask! Not posting on my own thread so much also hopefully means I'll be more active on yours.

Second, I am adding a secondary opponent! The Dread Warrior will continue to take/give attacks based on whether I miss workouts or not. But now we introduce the Imp!

image.png.6956c7f889360072a95702b84c329e9b.png

The Imp will be the one making saving throws whenever I do Morning Prayer for Word of Radiance, and anytime I skip Morning Prayer (Monday through Friday) the Imp gets to attack. I've gotten lazy about staying in bed rather than getting up and praying (I'm going to throw some of the blame on the time change) and hopefully this will give me the boost I need to get back to it.

Thirdly, social goals! I posted about this in the General Chat thread, but I need to work on injecting some social fun back into things. So for this challenge I am aiming to go out on one outing with a local outdoor group I just joined, and to play in at least one in-person TTRPG, to which end I have requested an invite to my local gaming venue's discord server.

My point goal for the challenge is 1,254, which is an oddly specific number, but that will give me a grand total of 5,250 points. Definitely going to have to bump off some Dread Warriors and Imps to make that more manageable.

• Like 8

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

Really looking forward to some Imp vanquishing! You’ve got this!!

• Like 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

Love this!  Here my dear northern friend for all of the imp slays. 

• Like 1

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore before you decide to be happy” -Nightbirde

“Dreams do not come true all by themselves. They are nourished by the bounty of hard work”  -Unknown Disney Imagineer

2024 Word

Svastha: Standing in One’s Own Power

Current Challenge:

Sepherina Continues her Quest of Strength

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 , #6 , #7 , #8 , #9#10#11

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

On 3/21/2024 at 1:15 PM, Artemis Prime said:

But now we introduce the Imp!

Don't let the low CR fool you, those little things are nasty!

Following along of course :)

• Like 2

Level 21 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 16  -  CON: 22  -  CHA: 9  -  SAN: 19 -  INT: 17

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Downtime

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 67 68 69 70 71

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map - 2022 road map/wrap-up

On 3/21/2024 at 9:58 AM, sylph said:

Here for smiting and holy fire and all that jazz. 

Maybe even some jazzy smiting!

On 3/21/2024 at 10:51 AM, Everstorm said:

Here for the gainz

May they be many.

On 3/21/2024 at 11:00 AM, Sovalis said:

Really looking forward to some Imp vanquishing! You’ve got this!!

Thank you!

On 3/22/2024 at 9:04 AM, Sepherina said:

Love this!  Here my dear northern friend for all of the imp slays. 

Woohoo! Glad to have you, as always!

On 3/22/2024 at 1:34 PM, Laghail said:

Following for Barndominium updates!!

Hopefully things will be picking up in that area shortly!

On 3/23/2024 at 5:30 PM, Jarric said:

Don't let the low CR fool you, those little things are nasty!

Right? Only 10hp, but they make you pay for every single one.

• Like 4

Monday Update!

Which, now that I'm posting on Mondays, makes me feel like I need to post this in honor of absent friends.

jason-momoa.gif

Ok, on to the update!

Monday: Had a quick drink with a friend after work for social points.

Tuesday: Got up without snoozing for a Light point, took my mother to her doctor's appointment for Bless points (the Blessing was really for my father, to save him a trip he really didn't want to make) and did a workout, dealing 7 damage to the Dread Warrior.

Wednesday: Met with my Parish Discernment Committee for Ceremony points.

Thursday: Had class for Borrowed Knowledge points.

Friday: Up on time for Light, went to Stations of the Cross for Ceremony, did some guitar practice for Toll the Dead (Dread Warrior made its save)

Saturday: Did a workout (Deadlifted my bodyweight for 2 reps for a PR!) for 5 damage to the Dread Warrior, baked bread for Lesser Restoration.

Sunday: Made my Gentle Repose save. Also made a very tasty dinner without consulting any recipes, which made me feel like a very accomplished chef.

So that wraps up Zero Week with 133 points. Not bad, though I didn't do cardio or Morning Prayer. I don't take any damage in Zero Week, but I'll have to do better this week.

Monday: Cardio

Tuesday: Lift

Wednesday: Neighbor

Thursday: Dinner with sister

Friday: Cardio, Good Friday service

Saturday: Lift, Easter Vigil

Sunday: Easter

Spells prepped: 

Bless* - neighbor on Wednesday
Cure Wounds* - stretching
Create or Destroy Water - hydration
Sanctuary - barndominium
Ceremony - church stuff
Spiritual Weapon* - Bible memorization
Lesser Restoration* - baking
Locate Object - cleaning
Borrowed Knowledge - class reading
Gentle Repose - sleep hygiene

I don't like tracking stuff, so for my hydration goal, I'm just aiming to drink a glass of water before I have coffee in the morning. If I do, DC goes down by one, if I don't, it goes up. At the end of the week, I make a Constitution save to see if I get points.

• Like 9

I'm late, but I'm here!

5 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

Monday Update!

Which, now that I'm posting on Mondays, makes me feel like I need to post this in honor of absent friends.

jason-momoa.gif

❤️😭

• Like 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: No Promises

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

Awesome update!! Way to go with the deadlift PR!!

Happy Lets Go GIF by Holler Studios

• Thanks 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

Well, I guess it's a thing now.

Jason Momoa Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Rocking that tennis outfit!

Although I must confess, I watched Aquaman the Lost Kingdom last week... and it was terrible. C'mon DC, get it together!

Other things I did in Week One:

Monday: Did Morning Prayer, forgot about water before coffee until too late, and finished staining my west wall for Sanctuary points.

Tuesday: Did Morning Prayer, water before coffee (wbc), did a workout

Wednesday: Morning Prayer, wbc, went to my neighbor's for Bless points, did a jump rope workout for cardio.

Thursday: Morning Prayer, wbc

Friday: Good Friday, so no work. Wbc, cleaned the whole house for Locate Object points, went for a run, was chalice bearer at the evening service for Ceremony points.

Saturday: wbc, went to church to polish all the silver for Easter (I actually really enjoyed the prep for Easter, which was also the bishop's yearly visit. It was a nice vibe hanging out with a bunch of cool women getting everything dressed to the nines.) went back home, baked a cake, dyed Easter eggs, filled plastic eggs with quarters, made a really tasty chicken tetrazzini for dinner, back to church for the Easter Vigil, so more Ceremony points. Also lifted at some point in there.

Sunday: Got the ham in the oven, off to church where I was chalice bearer again, so more Ceremony points, back home to put the finishing touches on dinner, hide eggs, decorate the cake. Had a really nice dinner with the family. (Bought the ham from a local butcher and it was *chef's kiss*  Pretty wiped by the end of everything, fell asleep at like 8:30 last night.

Point total for week one: 139.  Not bad. Could have done better on cantrips. That leaves me with 982 points to go to reach my goal this challenge, or 245.5 points/week. The Dread Warrior and Imp are taking hits but still standing, Dread Warrior has 20hp, the Imp has 3. Good news is, neither one of them have gotten to hit me.

Positives from a very busy Easter weekend: Church was great. Fr. D and Fr. M were both very proactive in recruiting me to help with things, explaining behind the scenes stuff to me, just in general being very inclusive and making me feel like an apprentice clergy, which is basically what I am right now. After feeling for years like I had to force my way into certain spaces, being invited in is great. I'm very excited about being a cleric, although once I'm officially a deacon, there will be more responsibilities on me for Holy Week, so note to self: take Easter Monday off in the future. I would love to not be at work right now. But on to more positives: my sister and sister-in-law were super helpful with the cooking and cleaning up after Easter dinner. I had everything pretty clean when they got there, and by the time they left, it was all back to pretty good condition. It was much appreciated. Bonus: my sister-in-law brought a bunch of extra food that she stashed in the fridge when I wasn't paying attention for after my mom's surgery. 

Plans for Week Two:

????

Wednesday is my mom's surgery, and everything kind of feels like it's in a holding pattern until we see how that goes. I'm going to try to get a workout in today, need to keep working on class readings, and I don't really know what else. List of spells prepped, which I will allow myself to fudge because I'm having trouble making a coherent plan for the week:

Bless*
Cure Wounds*
Sanctuary
Healing Word
Create or Destroy Water
Lesser Restoration*
Gentle Repose
Borrowed Knowledge
Locate Object
  • Like 8

3 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

After feeling for years like I had to force my way into certain spaces, being invited in is great

I love this.

And yay for sister-in-law and surprise food.

Sounds like you are as well-prepped for what the rest of the week will bring you as you can be. I hope all goes smoothly.

Hope the surgery goes well, thinking of you.

Level 21 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 16  -  CON: 22  -  CHA: 9  -  SAN: 19 -  INT: 17

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Downtime

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 67 68 69 70 71

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map - 2022 road map/wrap-up

6 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

I'm very excited about being a cleric, although once I'm officially a deacon, there will be more responsibilities on me for Holy Week, so note to self: take Easter Monday off in the future. I would love to not be at work right now.

Yes, definitely take Easter Monday off work. It's totally worth it when you are that involved in Holy Week and Easter services.

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27, #28#29#30#31Current

Walk to Mordor: 2019, 2020, 2021202220232024

Sending good thoughts for mom’s surgery on Wednesday!

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore before you decide to be happy” -Nightbirde

“Dreams do not come true all by themselves. They are nourished by the bounty of hard work”  -Unknown Disney Imagineer

2024 Word

Svastha: Standing in One’s Own Power

Current Challenge:

Sepherina Continues her Quest of Strength

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 , #6 , #7 , #8 , #9#10#11

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

On 4/1/2024 at 10:21 AM, Artemis Prime said:

Sunday: Got the ham in the oven, off to church where I was chalice bearer again, so more Ceremony points, back home to put the finishing touches on dinner, hide eggs, decorate the cake. Had a really nice dinner with the family. (Bought the ham from a local butcher and it was *chef's kiss*  Pretty wiped by the end of everything, fell asleep at like 8:30 last night.

ham, mmmmmmmm

Positives from a very busy Easter weekend: Church was great. Fr. D and Fr. M were both very proactive in recruiting me to help with things, explaining behind the scenes stuff to me, just in general being very inclusive and making me feel like an apprentice clergy, which is basically what I am right now. After feeling for years like I had to force my way into certain spaces, being invited in is great.

I love this for you!!!!!!!

I'm very excited about being a cleric, although once I'm officially a deacon, there will be more responsibilities on me for Holy Week, so note to self: take Easter Monday off in the future.

Mood. Monday days off are almost mandatory in the biz.

mom's surgery, and everything kind of feels like it's in a holding pattern until we see how that goes. 

If you find a helpful term to describe this feeling, please share. I know it very well. Fingers crossed for both of you.

Level 38 [TBD]