Forums are back in action! ×

Epic quest has undergone a complete re-work as I dropped the Planescape theme and learned more about myself and what I really aspire to achieve

Achievements so far

- Find some time for meditation in my schedule and incorporate it into a regular practice: Started meditation on April 26th, 2015 to wonderful results. Doesn't seem like it will be an everyday activity though

Do a pull-up (Completed 8/9/2014)

- Speak the truth in a situation where lying would be to my advantage (Completed 22/8/2014)

- Help a random stranger in need for no reason at all (Completed 30/10/2014)

- Be involved in a deal concerning a band, a festival or related to the music industry in general (Completed 5/3/2015)

- Own a motorcycle (Completed 30/10/2014, bought a Sym Symphony SR 125)

- Move my office out of my home (Completed 20/4/2015)

- Write some literature or poetry again (Completed sometime in April/May 2015)

- Climb Mt. Olympus (Completed July 2015)

- Compete in a Crossfit Event (Completed during the Community Meetup, Summer of 2015)

- Complete an obstacle race (Completed, Athens Legion Run, 13 September 2015)

- Do a muscle-up (Completed, Bar Muscle Up done at 16 October 2015)

- Set up a herbal garden outside my kitchen window (Completed November 2015)

Leftover achievements

- Trek through the gorge of Samaria

- Spend a night camping in a forest

- Go camping for at least one week

- Visit an active volcano

- Have a cat or dog in my home

- Listen to all the records in my vinyl collection

- Complete a Murph workout

- Complete a Murph workout while wearing armor.

- Handstand walk

- Complete an actual Spartan race (Orte 2016 Super Spartan tickets bought)

- Own a motorcycle of at least 400cc

- Craft something with my own hands

New achievements

- Attend Camp NerdFitness

- Take part in a Crossfit Competition

- Take part in the Crossfit Open Workouts and submit scores

- Deadlift twice my bodyweight

- Clean&Jerk my bodyweight

- Snatch my bodyweight

- Complete a benchmark CrossFit workout at Rx weight

- Rx a Hero workout

• Like 6

Lvl 65 Multitasker

Looking back, 2015 wasn't such a bad year as far as my Epic Quest is concerned. Being able to strike out 9 goals is no minor issue, especially when some of them I used to consider rather ambitious. As 2016 is ante portas and heavily influenced by Lady Shello's 2016 Road Map, I am putting out my own version as a long-term set of goals for the new year, a public committment and my own early New Year's Resolution.

Crossfit goals

- Improve Double Unders

I want to be able to reach a point where I can pull off consecutive double unders, to the point where I can comfortably incorporate them into a WOD. This will take time and practice, my game plan is to sneak in some practice before warmup once I get to it

- Improve Bar Muscle Ups

This year I finally conquered the Bar Muscle Up. I need to keep working on it to improve my performance and be able to properly do those as part of a WOD. This means I need to also work on my recovery getting down and being able to lace them together instead of getting off the bar after every MU.

- Achieve Ring Muscle Ups

A.k.a. "proper" Muscle Ups. This will take time and persistence but I am confident in our amazing gymnastics coach. For now I need to work mainly on my ring swings. More work on ring dips and pullups will certainly help, but I'm not stressing over this goal.

- Achieve Free Standing Handstand and Handstand Walk

The latter is actually easier and I'm pretty close to nailing it down. For now I stumble a few steps, I gotta increase my upside down time and take controlled steps towards the direction I wanna go, not where my weight takes me. Again, I have confidence in our gymnastics coach, he's helped me progress a lot faster than I thought I was able.

- Fix my Lifting Ratios

Thanks to the wonderful AugustaAdaByron, I had many of my questions answered when it comes to the weight ratio between my lifts. Here's all the data, I plan on using SethFit™ lifts before training, just like I did during my latest challenge to get my numbers up to where they should be.

Event/Race Schedule

- Do the Orte Super Spartan in April

I was able to arrange this thanks to the wonderful Slates and I'll be running it with her. Couldn't be more hyped! For now I only have my event ticket, so to make this happen I gotta book transportation and accommodation yet.

- Attend Legion Run in October

This year's Legion Run was my introduction to OCRs. It is the only one taking place where I live and even though it's pretty light, it's still fun and I want to attend as a conscious vote of support. If I want more events like this, I gotta show them there's huge demand.

- Do another OCR

I'm not really sure of the wheres and hows, but I'd like to do another OCR in 2016, preferrably alongside members of the Rebellion once more. This means another trip abroad, so I'm not really stressing about it. But if I'm able to do it, I'd like to jump on the chance.

Special Ranger Lady Friend™ goals

- Rebellion Conversion

Ah, this one's tricky. I can't hide it forever and she's NF material anyway. Not to underestimate its importance though. Giving such a person access to very personal information is huge. I'll start by mentioning the Rebellion, maybe explain a bit about it. We'll see how it goes from there.

- Road Trip

There have been extended talks about a trip that will include visiting Serbia. She was there this year and loved it, it's been on my list of places to visit for a good while. There's a thought of making the return from Orte Spartan (see above) into a road trip passing from Serbia. There's also a chance that might happen using a motorcycle instead of a car. Things are pretty vague right now, but I'm keeping this goal in mind nonetheless.

Badrangerassery a.k.a. leftover Epic Quest goals

- Trek through the gorge of Samaria

It could happen during the Spring or Autumn of 2016. Won't be sad if it doesn't happen during that year however

- Have a cat or dog in my home

Again, I'd like this to happen but I'm not actively pursuing it either. With the SRLF™ around it might just be accelerated somehow

- Handstand walk

- Complete an actual Spartan race

Handstand walk is part of my Crossfit goals above. The second shall be considered complete after doing the Orte Spartan. See above for both.

- Own a motorcycle of at least 400cc

I had this on the backburner for a while, but it's come up again. I've been looking up various options and it seems like there are picks within my budget. Hopefully I'll be able to strike this out within the first few months of 2016. Hopefully.

- Attend Camp NerdFitness

Ugh, a distant dream. With my Masters' classes schedule and the projected expenses, this won't be happening in 2016. At best left for 2017.

- Take part in a Crossfit Competition

- Take part in the Crossfit Open Workouts and submit scores

Obviously, doing the Open means I automatically make both these goals. With the introduction of the Scaled Open this year and my Muscle Up success, I am confident I'll be able to do this in 2016.

- Deadlift twice my bodyweight

- Clean&Jerk my bodyweight

- Snatch my bodyweight

I posted my lifting goals previously. Getting those in line are my priority, plus these here are quite ambitious to be completed within 2016.

- Complete a benchmark CrossFit workout at Rx weight

I've completed Nancy and Helen with little under their Rx weight, got a lot of room for improvement in Fran and haven't tried any other benchmark workout. I'm confident I can do this within 2016

• Like 5

Lvl 65 Multitasker

Redesigning my Road Map for 2016 from a general plan to a date- (well, month-) specific plan

January

Look into what's needed to upgrade my motorcycle license

February

Register for the 2016 Crossfit Open

Do the 2016 Crossfit Open

Pay off tuition installment for my Masters' class by the end of the month

March

Have transport and accomodation for the Orte Spartan Super in Italy booked at least one month before race day (a.k.a. by 3/23) Done, but missed the deadline

April

Run Orte Spartan Super with Slates on the 23rd

Start classes for my updated motorcycle license Delayed, started in July

May

Pay off tuition installment for my Masters' class by the end of the month Done, but missed the deadline

June

Have a ticket for Legion Run 2016 booked before the 8th when prices go up Failed

July

August

Got my motorcycle license!

September

Try replacing Crossfit with joining the Muay Thai dojo next to my home. Bonus points if the Special Ranger Lady Friend a.k.a. my girlfriend joins too. SRLF never joined due to health issues

October

Annual Crossfit subscription ends

Do Legion Run 2016 Cancelled, too expensive for a simple 5k OCR

November

December

Own a motorcycle before the end of the year Failed, due to circumstance and altered financial priorities

• Like 2

Lvl 65 Multitasker

Source

Looks like CF Pireaus will be my new home. The question is, will I like Muay Thai and try to combine both? With the academic year beginning soon, my Tuesday and Thursday evenings will be busy during September, December, February and March due to elective classes for my Masters (plus the final dissertation). Assuming I dig MT, my plan currently looks like this:

September: Use it to try out Muay Thai between classes

October: Possibly try to combine Muay Thai and Crossfit

November: Repeat October and modify as needed if the workouts feel too much

December: Pick either Crossfit or Muay Thai to do. Feels ok to take it easier with the holidays around

January: Jump back onto both

February: Like December, pick one. Probably Crossfit, since the Open begins late February

March: The Open continues on into this month, so probably like February

April: Pick one of two to do, like December with Easter around. Also, depending on the status of my dissertation by that point, plan for the coming month

Lvl 65 Multitasker

Combining both didn't really work. Driving to and from CF Pireaus already takes a lot of time and after issues at work there's no way I can be consistently back in time to attend MT at 18:00.

As 2016 is about to finally get the fuck outta here, looking back at my goals I'm pretty satisifed. Highlights include

- Completing the upgrade of my motorcycle license, which included new classes and exams instead of just paperwork as expected

- Picking up Jabba the Cat from the streets

- Doing my first ever Crossfit Open

- Getting finances in line with the aid of the SRLF, which allowed me to pay off insurance debt and Masters' tuition installments with more ease and less stress

- Travelling to Rome with the SRLF, meeting Slates and completing my first ever Spartan, the Orte Super while having tons of fun

- Trying out Muay Thai

- Switching from CF Chalandri to CF Pireaus

- Getting more involved with the SRLF's Krav Maga school, which included a summer camp weekend, assisting as a male attacker during some classes and doing some cross training sessions with her coach

- Improving my Double Under PR and hitting my first Triple Unders

- PRing some of my lifts. I'm just 10kg away from deadlifting my bodyweight

- Attending Compete Live Athens 2016

- Completing a benchmark workout at Rx weight

2017 Roadmap still under construction

Lvl 65 Multitasker

"What can change the nature of a man?"

That question is the leitmotif as well as core narrative of Planescape:Torment, my favorite RPG and arguably one of the best videogames ever. Some spoilers ahead but hey, game's been out for almost 20 years now. The protagonist wakes up in a slab at a mortuary with no memory and some notes to himself tattooed on his back, Memento-style. Pretty soon he also discovers that for some reason he can't die, but instead wakes up in the same mortuary every time. Through the course of the game and as the trademark question is asked again and again, the nameless protagonist discovers his terrible secret: for whatever reason, he underwent a ritual meant to make him immortal but the ritual went slightly wrong and while his mortality was indeed ripped from him, every time he died not only did he lose part of his memory, but also somebody else died in his place to maintain the cosmic balance. Every time a new person with his memory wiped clean, throughout his many incarnations the protagonist has done unthinkable harm to others and even when he was the best of people, still his death claimed the life of an innocent. To top it all, his own mortality has become something of its own (think of a computer AI going rogue) and is out to get him by driving him to the point of complete amnesia and erasing all clues that might lead him to a reunion. Playing the game itself is the answer to the question of what can change the nature of a man. Is the protagonist selfish and evil at his core, doomed to repeat actions of the past that caused unthinkable torment, or will he rise above it all to end this for good and if so, what will be the deciding factor of that change?

You might be wondering why the introduction and what's it got to do with this thread. For those of you who weren't around about 2,5 years ago when I joined and the character attribute system was still around, back then I created a theme and alter ego for my challenges using the universe of Planescape. Funny how I dropped that, only to have Planescape take over my last few challenges. One of the cosmic rules in Planescape is the so-called "Unity of rings" or in this case, what goes around comes around. Anyway, the famous question of Planescape:Torment came back to haunt me as I thought over my plans for 2017 and that is because of the main goal I had in mind. Too long have I made sacrifices, too long have I taken steps back and shunned away from things because of people around me. My desire going into 2017 is to be more me

What does "being more me" mean? I had to think this through

Crossfit: My workout system of choice, a true lifechanger I've stuck to, despite trials, impracticalities and trying out alternatives. It's become part of me, to the point where I define myself as a crossfitter and an athlete.

Role Playing Games (RPGs): My gateway into true nerdom, RPGs seem to have been ingrained into my very nature but I've disowned them for too long, for various reasons I won't get into right now. Embracing them once more is certainly about being more me.

Work: After years of trying to figure out the career stuff, then looking for opportunities to get it done, repeated failures and compromising in order to earn a living, this year I finally found a job that truly might be it. Better even, once I'm done with my current main job, I've been invited to make the full jump over there. It's a path I want to follow, so I'm including it in the list of things that make me be more me.

Motorcycle: It's been said that driving a car is like watching a movie, but riding a bike is like living in the movie and I couldn't agree more. Got hooked since I actually drove one and I've gone from 125cc lessons/exams to buying, riding then selling a 125cc scooter to more lessons/exams for the unlimited cc license. It's easy to put these things in the backburner in favor of more important/pressing/short-term/whatever goals, but continuing that path towards owning and riding a bike once more certainly makes me be more me.

Home: I've either ignored my personal living space or compromised for what others would and wouldn't like. There's a reason it's called personal and I have to reclaim it.

NerdFitness: Last but not least, this place and its people. I've found myself and my tribe here. I plan to stick around.

So far so good, but if I stay there it's only stuff I've realized. I need to extract lessons and take things as I plan ahead and go forward

• Crossfit: There's two lessons from crossfit I want to implement going forward. One, nutrition is the foundation on which everything else is built. I need to include it as a goal in every challenge and make it the last thing I tolerate failure about. Two, no matter the variety in the mix, workouts and exercises are used to build fitness, but it is the unpredictable and competitive nature of sports that really tests fitness. To that extent, I'd like to get back into races and competitions, which also includes Obstacle Course Races (even if I'm not focusing on that to the extent others on these boards have)
  • RPGs: Besides storytelling, there's two aspects that have always appealed to me. One is about the freedom to make a choice and the consequences of making that choice. The other is the concept of levelling. With the attribute system gone, these are more of a philosophical thing to keep in mind.
  • Work: Just like finding a workout method I enjoy makes it easier to stick with it, finding the right job makes it a joy instead of a burden. While sometimes I have to compromise in order to pay the bills, I shouldn't ever give up on chasing my (professional) dreams and desires
  • Motorcycle: Buying something big and expensive like that just for the sake of it, is sheer consumerism. I don't want to be short-sighted about it and focus just on purchasing a motorcycle, but to then utilize it for excursions and travels that will make my life more enjoyable.
  • Home: Your personal space reflects your (inner) self. I should reshape my place to reflect my true self.
  • NerdFitness: I used to be super-active round these parts, then slightly faded out as other things demanded my time and attention. I've struggled with guilt and other negative emotions for not being as present/active as I'd like, both following others and updating my own thread but at least I didn't disappear. I am slowly coming to terms with this situation, this new balance, but I still want to be around, be active and be held accountable.

Milestones and Major Goals for 2017

• Crossfit Open: Register for the 2017 Crossfit Open, do the workouts, get a better ranking than the year before. Obviously, if any workout is a repeat, score better than last time
  • Do the Toughest Amsterdam OCR and attend the epic in-the-making European Rebellion Meetup
  • Buy a motorcycle
  • Upgrade my balcony: Mainly add an awning and somehow fence the surroundings to make it safe for my cat
  • Frame Shello: Couldn't resist the catchy title. I hate to admit it, but during last year's Ranger Secret Santa, I got a pair of amazing paintings from Lady Shello that I still haven't put to a frame and hung up on my wall.
  • Replace the mattress
  • Pay off the remaining installments for my Masters' degree
  • Submit my thesis for the Masters' degree
  • Take Jabba the Cat to the vet for a chip

Once again, I went back to see how I could combine all of the above with some best practices and what's worked for me

• Obviously, RPGs. Might be a theme, a narrative, a levelling system, but there's always something there
  • Having a clear Master Goal ahead, such as a competition I'm preparing for
  • Linking a Master Goal to my challenge performance, such as saving according to performance in order to purchase something expensive
  • Accurate tracking and spreadsheets
  • SMART goals

I've hammered out most of the details in my head, but they will be revealed with the first challenge of 2017. Until then, I'm putting somewhat of a framework here. Think of it as a general challenge that runs through the entire year, with quests to be broken down and specialized with each separate challenge

Goal: Be more me

Fitness Quest 1: Own a motorcycle by the end of 2017. To that purpose, set money aside according to progress made for the goals of each challenge

Fitness Quest 2: Include a nutrition-related quest in every challenge of 2017

Fitness Quest 3: Include a crossfit-related quest in every challenge of 2017

Life Quest: Include a life quest in every challenge of 2017 that has to do with either work, domestic rangering or NF presence.

• Like 6

Lvl 65 Multitasker

On 10/12/2016 at 11:04 AM, deftona said:

Ah I love it Maggle! :D 

Fixed :D

I'm really excited for 2017 after making all of these plans. I have a big ultimate goal to work towards, a savings plan towards it that will keep me accountable and an overarching RPG story theme to cover all my challenges for the year!

• Like 1

Lvl 65 Multitasker

Awesome plan! 2017 is going to be great!

• Like 1

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 49

2022 challenges:  49 (current)

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

Ten or so days left for 2017 to end and before I get down to writing my roadmap for the next year, I'd like to do some reflecting as to how I did with the goals and milestones I set for this year.

Milestones and Major Goals for 2017

• Crossfit Open: Register for the 2017 Crossfit Open, do the workouts, get a better ranking than the year before. Obviously, if any workout is a repeat, score better than last time. Result: Success. Despite blowing my knee a couple of weeks before the Open began, I pushed through and completed it as best as I could. Obviously, it's hard to tell if I got a better ranking than the previous year, as it's not just the workouts that change, but also the number of people doing the Open. That's what repeat workouts are for though and I absolutely smashed that one.
  • Do the Toughest Amsterdam OCR and attend the epic in-the-making European Rebellion Meetup. Result: Modified Success. Amsterdam accommodation didn't work out and most participants switched to doing the Rat Race Dirty Weekend in 2018 instead, but I made the best of the situation by adapting and running a Tough Mudder in Ireland with @Jarric. I also registered for the first ever Spartan Race in Ancient Sparta, doing the Super back to back with a Sprint. I've only done either in the past and this was my alternative since I wasn't allowed to do the Beast.
  • Buy a motorcycle. Result: Success, even if my father ended up giving the money instead of me, which allowed me to go past my initial budget and get a very well maintained BMW GS650.
  • Upgrade my balcony: Mainly add an awning and somehow fence the surroundings to make it safe for my cat. Result: Fail. I did get a couple of offers on the price, but then kind of gave up on this as finances got ugly and I had to invest on other things (Ireland trip and Mudder, Spartan tickets, new washing machine, new drawers for the bedroom, motorcycle, new mattress, various maintenance stuff around the house).
  • Frame Shello: Couldn't resist the catchy title. I hate to admit it, but during last year's Ranger Secret Santa, I got a pair of amazing paintings from Lady Shello that I still haven't put to a frame and hung up on my wall. Result: Success. This was done early in 2017 and I still owe @LadyShello some pictures.
  • Replace the mattress. Result: Success
  • Pay off the remaining installments for my Masters' degree. Result: Success
  • Submit my thesis for the Masters' degree. Result: Success
  • Take Jabba the Cat to the vet for a chip, Result: Success

Bonus stuff

On 12/9/2016 at 5:24 PM, DarK_RaideR said:

Crossfit: I'd like to get back into races and competitions, which also includes Obstacle Course Races (even if I'm not focusing on that to the extent others on these boards have)

I didn't make the jump to full-on competitive athlete that I'd like, because I had to realize that I can't make the sacrifices something like that involves. Getting to the box and back requires more time due to distance/traffic, I had a career switch to pull off, a new one to build up plus certain physical limitations such as age and no prior foundation from any physical exercise. I've come to terms with the situation though and pushed myself whenever I could. Within 2017 I did the Crossfit Open, a Tough Mudder, a back-to-back Spartan Super&Sprint and participated in pretty much every game/competition my box was involved in, with the notable exception of Compete Live Athens in the summer. My limited Range of Motion due to the blown knee had me worried about no reps in anything that involves a squat so I sat it out and volunteered as staff instead.

My gateway into true nerdom, RPGs seem to have been ingrained into my very nature but I've disowned them for too long, for various reasons I won't get into right now. Embracing them once more is certainly about being more me.

NF narratives and games aside, I got into a Warhammer Fantasy game (which seems to have stalled as of late), tried out Titansgrave (that group didn't work out) and looked into a massive ongoing Dnd 5e campaign set in Cerilia, the world of Birthright campaign setting, but never actually joined. I also spent an evening running the SRLF through the first adventure of the Dnd 3,5e starter set and I'm starting to pick up on her taste (no Tolkien-esque medieval fantasy worlds, no pessimistic/grimdark stuff, a good group of people to game with and a fixed play time to avoid marathon sessions) to the point where she suggested spending my birthday on Dec.24 playing whatever RPG I want. I showed her an intro video about Numenera and it caught her attention, so let's see where that goes.

After years of trying to figure out the career stuff, then looking for opportunities to get it done, repeated failures and compromising in order to earn a living, this year I finally found a job that truly might be it. Better even, once I'm done with my current main job, I've been invited to make the full jump over there. It's a path I want to follow, so I'm including it in the list of things that make me be more me.

I finally made the jump and left the government job in order to join my professor's office full time and pursue a freelance legal career. Losing the steady income has been a blow but I'm trying to power through it and endure. I've given myself two years, to the end of 2019, before I return to review how this has worked out for me. Till then, endure. In enduring, grow strong.

NerdFitness: I used to be super-active round these parts, then slightly faded out as other things demanded my time and attention. I've struggled with guilt and other negative emotions for not being as present/active as I'd like, both following others and updating my own thread but at least I didn't disappear. I am slowly coming to terms with this situation, this new balance, but I still want to be around, be active and be held accountable.

I've stuck around and didn't disappear, but the real game changer here came during this last challenge, when I gave up on Facebook, YouTube, Instagram and the like. I'll admit it was easier when I was on a government computer I couldn't much toy with as opposed to getting my own laptop later on (and installing TEW2016 on it). Being in a more demanding work these days doesn't make this any easier, but like I've said, this is the first time in a long while I've managed to keep up with both a @deftona and a @Wild Wolf challenge thread, which is my best indicator of progress and forum cardio.

Now, about that 2018 Roadmap...

• Like 11

Lvl 65 Multitasker

2 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Frame Shello: Couldn't resist the catchy title. I hate to admit it, but during last year's Ranger Secret Santa, I got a pair of amazing paintings from Lady Shello that I still haven't put to a frame and hung up on my wall. Result: Success. This was done early in 2017 and I still owe @LadyShello some pictures.

Pics or it didn't happen. 

Congrats on a successful year.  So many successes for 2017!

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

Congratulations mate, looking back you've had a very successful year all round!

• Thanks 1

Level 21 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 18  -  CON: 22  -  CHA: 11  -  SAN: 19  -  INT: 17

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Jarric: The 'C' Team

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map - 2022 road map/wrap-up

Congrats on the years successes!

Here’s a pic of a pupper to celebrate:
64b9b3ed202a8729de2b9e733b764110.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Level 87 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 8485 | 86 | 87  ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

Great job this year!!

• Thanks 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: Life is not Always SET

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

Thanks a lot everyone. Special shout-out to @darkfoxx, real glad to see you with a new doggo. @LadyShello, I still owe you an image, just gotta find a decent hosting website because Imgur is cool for my little wrestler portraits but a mess when it comes to photos (Never forget the great Photobucket crash of 2017, people).

2018 looks to be the year of the grind. No big competitions or OCRs ahead, no big career shifts or big purchases, just keep doing what works for me, establish myself in the new conditions and make all the minor tweaks that are usually overlooked in favor of louder, more impressive goals. I have classified the stuff I want to get done in 2018 into four categories, plus a little bonus.

Category A: Crossfit, races, competitions and workouts

tenor.gif

I'm not looking to travel abroad for OCRs this year, so I'm only going to do local stuff: Legion Run if they do anything longer than 5km and if Spartan does another one this year, I'll try for the Trifecta weekend if I can afford it. If not, I'm either going for my first Beast or a Beast-Super weekend. As usual, I will be doing the Crossfit Open early this year, but with a twist: I'm looking to also do the Judge certification course prior to that, mostly because I'd like to help our box with shortage/availability issues it's had with judges in the past. Other than that, workouts will happen as usual and I'll probably do the occasional fun/competitive event here and there, but no concrete goals here. No specific training, no performance/ranking I'm aiming for, just keep grinding.

Category B: Motorpsychocycle

tumblr_oduifwBt3B1tiehmoo1_500.gif

In 2017, I got myself a motorbike and got myself acquainted with the thing. 2018 is the year I get comfortable with having a passenger in the back seat. This in turn is broken down into two sub-goals, get a helmet and some gear for the SRLF, then arrange for trial rides with her. Once that's done, I got two milestones I wanna hit in 2018. First, go for a bike trip with other riders that lasts longer than a day, meaning we gotta get accommodation for the night. Two, ride to Thessaloniki up north with the SRLF for a weekend or longer. It's a good 500km/310mi distance, so it's a decent trip and the destination itself is worth it, especially as the SRLF has never been there, plus I have friends I'd like to see there.

Category C: Re-construction of the house

M9lSYu3.gif

Not calling this Domestic Rangering, because it's much more than cleaning up stuff. I did some item item upgrades in 2017 such as the new mattress and drawer for clothes, but I failed the balcony arrangement. This is the direction things are moving to within the year. Not only am I looking to get the balcony upgrade done, I'm also getting the house repainted and some of my wardrobes modified. Most of the lighting and circuitry needs a check and maintenance, but before that I gotta have a talk with my upstairs neighbor or everything I do will fall apart due to humidity leaking through the concrete separating our properties. That's all just a list of things I have in mind so far, I wouldn't be surprised if more comes up down the road.

Category D: Weight and nutrition

giphy.webp

We all know it, nutrition is the foundation upon which everything else is built. I'm pretty happy with my lifting performance, but I gotta drop some weight if I wanna do good in gymnastics and metcon/aerobic stuff. I had everything pretty much nailed down with batch cooking and zoning, then I met the SRLF, asked her to move in with me and I still haven't figured stuff out in this new situation. We've been together for 2 years now and I'm probably already late to deal with it, but I must. We both appreciate good, real food but are otherwise quite different in our approach (she can't eat cold food like I do, she can't eat the same stuff for several days like I used to do, loves her sugar and chocolate and so on). For starters, I gotta have a chat with her about organizing our grocery shopping and cooking in a somewhat different manner, then stick with that plan. I'm keeping my options open as to the specifics of nutrition for each challenge, but I will be measuring my belly and weight on the last day of 2017 so I can set a goal of where I want those two to be on December 31, 2018.

Bonus: Control yourself

b43fd9c6d784771d239cb1d04477163cbdaceaa5

@Heidi recently brought up the WHO and "Gaming addiction". I looked up the article on what it is and what it isn't and while I'm still on the healthy side, I have some of the symptoms of addictive behavior when it comes to gaming. It's been worse in the past and it gets stronger when it involves TEW2016, which I will be using for the wrestling narrative on my 2018 challenges. Having my own laptop with TEW2016 installed in it at work has been detrimental in the past, but I've found ways to control the urge. Considering how I'll still be grinding in the work area until at least the end of 2019, this will be something I gotta keep in mind. I've also given up on social media during my latest challenge, which has been a revelation and I'd like to keep it that way. No milestones or special goals here, but I need to address the issue nevertheless.

Milestones

Working out

• Do the Crossfit Judge course for 2018
  • Do the Crossfit Open
  • Do a Trifecta if Spartan does another race in Ancient Sparta within 2018. This can be somewhat downgraded for financial reasons

Motorcycle

• Buy a helmet and gear for the SRLF
  • Get comfortable riding the bike with a passenger on the back seat
  • Go for a bike trip with other riders that lasts longer than a day
  • Ride to Thessaloniki with the SRLF

House

• Get the balcony done
  • Have a chat with the neighbor upstairs
  • Get the wardrobe modified
  • Get the house painted
  • Fix the lights and circuitry

Nutrition

• Sort out the grocery shopping/cooking/eating situation with the SRLF
  • Take belly and weight measurements on Dec.31 2017, set a goal of where I want both to be by Dec.31 2018

Impulse Control

• Minimize distractions such as videogames and social media
  • Like 9

Lvl 65 Multitasker

Whoo hoo! I look forward to watching you crush those goals!

Level 87 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 8485 | 86 | 87  ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||

And, because this is now my life as a heater for puppers:
7a761c661aec1a85e5a1f255b62346cf.jpg

• Like 2

Level 87 Wood Elf Druid

||Char/RPG||