The Chaos Cave Bar and Grill: 2024 Challenge #7 General Chat Thread

Welcome to the 7th challenge of 2024 Rebels!

Our merry band of adventurers have moved on from the Pathfinder's Pub after choosing a path, which then led us in a circle that double backed on a second path that looked to lead to the Seas of Success but actually led us back to the Pub which we then chose a different path... Ok, it wasn't a perfect choice, but, hey: ADVENTURE!

As we strive to reach the Seas of Success, we realize we needed to take a short detour due to a migrating herd of undead llamas completely clogging up the Western pass. We found an alternate route through an not-at-all-ominous-whatsoever underground pass where we had to walk through the totally-fine-and-not-worrisome-in-the-slightest ruins of an arch or gate of some sort. It only tingled a bit.  All seems fine except the periodic black-outs.

image.jpeg

We have decided to take a rest at a cozy looking place along the underground pass where the sign reads... oh no: The Chaos Cave Bar and Grill.

As you settle in to the Chaos Cave Bar and Grill, you star to notice large chunks missing from your days. Work and progress you made the day before seem to be erased. People seem to look at you with fear and scurry to their corners when you walk in the common room. What could be going on? You decide to head out one day to investigate the ancient ruins you passed through earlier in the journey.  You discover an ancient engraving on what you now suspect to be the crossing point of a  Dark Void Gate that roughly translates to:

"All that is light will be consumed by the void. The darkness will shine and the wicked will join."

I think I know what is happening to us, Rebels. I think we have inadvertently walked through the remains of the Gate of S'ab Otaj. The scrolls speak of this ancient portal to the void that binds a dark wraith that will periodically awaken and amplify the dark inside of you. You become a villain of your own story. The only way to break the bind is to cleanse yourself at the Well of Kla'arity. It's not an easy journey I hear, but the alternative is to let our inner villain take over!

IRL George breaking in! I heard we wanted a villain arc! I understand that may mean different things to different people, but I though I'd try to fold that into our little role playing challenge adventure series and add it as a bonus quest for this challenge. If you had a different plan in mind, feel free to leave this and be a villain in any evil way you want (slay!).

For the bonus mission: I thought it would be a useful time to have an honest conversation with ourselves! During this challenge, spend some time giving an assessment of how you might be the villain in your own story. How do your habits and actions throw chaos into what could be a sound plan to meet your goals.

• Do your sleep habits keep you in a perpetual state of exhaustion?
  • Does your all weekend pizza extravaganza leave you feeling sluggish and kills your momentum with eating a more balanced plate?
  • Do you neglect mobility in your workouts and always feel tight or frequently injure yourself (not that I would know about this personally *cough* *cough*)?

The goal is to have an honest and objective assessment of where you might be getting in your own way. And then build one challenge goal to try to counter the goatee-clad evil you.

Note: I know this exercise can be very hard for some people and an objective assessment easily turns to an negative, guilt-laden experience. If this is triggering to you or you are not in an emotional state to do this, please skip it. There is no requirement to do this mission as a part of your challenge.

Well, adventurers, I think it's time we sat at the bar's corner table and make ourselves a plan for how to get to the Well of Kla'arity. Who's got the first round?

• Like 17

Ranger - Rheno - Rising Hero

Also, how are you all feeling about the RP intro posts and "bonus quests"? Are they fun? Is it amplifying the experience? Is it getting in the way or making you feel too constricted in your goals? 

As you check in, I'd love some feedback on how I can help you set yourselves up for the best success each challenge  :D 

• Like 2

Ranger - Rheno - Rising Hero

TimovieMan walks in and orders a strong coffee while he scurries to a corner.

As he sits at the table, he contemplates how a lawful good character with chronic hero syndrome might channel his inner villain...

"Well", he thinks, "not many are here yet. If I buy the first round, I still get to be the good guy while also being cheap and taking advantage of future rounds by others..."

"Barkeep! First round's on me!" ?

Hmmm, a bonus section.

9 hours ago, titsworth said:
  • Does your all weekend pizza extravaganza leave you feeling sluggish and kills your momentum with eating a more balanced plate?
  • Do you neglect mobility in your workouts and always feel tight or frequently injure yourself (not that I would know about this personally *cough* *cough*)?

My sleep habits are being addressed this challenge, since they need improving. I forgo my sleep curfew too often, so this challenge is all about enforcing it.

Weekend food extravaganza's are really what keeps me going with the diet. They let me be the "old me" for a bit, and then put me in "gung ho" mode with the diet again. I like to think of them as "confusing my body" so it doesn't slow its metabolism down. As long as I don't overdo it (and avoid more than one "red" day), it doesn't kill momentum, quite the opposite. It slows down the progress, sure, but it doesn't halt it, and that's okay. It's a marathon, not a sprint...

I do tend to focus on strength while neglecting flexibility and cardio, so I try to "sneak" them in. It's why burpees are my go-to exercise... until my left wrist said "no" to them. Now I simulate them with squat jumps, knuckle push-ups and elbow plank mountain climbers... ?

I am curious about the GMB fitness methods, though... ?

• Like 3

TimovieMan: funnier than you think he is; not as funny as he thinks he is...

Active challenges: Don't log, remain sensible | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

Old threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII

10 hours ago, titsworth said:

Also, how are you all feeling about the RP intro posts and "bonus quests"? Are they fun? Is it amplifying the experience? Is it getting in the way or making you feel too constricted in your goals? 

As you check in, I'd love some feedback on how I can help you set yourselves up for the best success each challenge  :D 

I like them, and appreciate the work you put into coming up with a narrative and accommodating our sudden collective desire to explore our villain sides.

I think we could do more with them on our side of things, engaging a bit more in the narrative and doing more check ins here throughout the challenge. I haven't participated much just because none of the previous ones have really resonated, but this one is striking some notes, so I'll be having some deep thinks and will report back here as they become coherent. It did take me way too long to figure out Sab Otaj, though.

For anyone not interested in confronting their inner villain and instead looking to embrace them, come take a walk on the Wicked side!

• Like 10

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

I may or may not be running an RPG thingy alongside @Sovalis based on the discussions had in the general chat thread of the previous challenge. It largely depends on whether we can hammer out the details and get it posted in time, most likely in the Group/PvP subforum, but there will also be an announcement made here.

• Like 7

Lvl 65 Multitasker

11 hours ago, titsworth said:

I love the energy of the side quests, and the last line about being honest and objective rings true for me, always.

I have a hard time adjusting the side quest of the moment to my goals, though, and always feel like I'm letting the side quest down (that's a me thing) :) 

❤️ 

And here I am looking into Adventuring with whatever @DarK_RaideR and @Sovalis cook up, because I deeply miss the D&D narrative and party feeling of it all.

Halloween Brewing GIF by evite

• Like 5

&Heidi

West-Marches Campaign Herb-Gatherer

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid  Level 12 Philosopher and level 11 Librarian (built on the Monk class, with a training path in The Way of the Cobalt Soul)

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | :: 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 |

Shaman: 82 | 83 | 84

Philosopher-Librarian 85 |:: 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

11 hours ago, titsworth said:

How do your habits and actions throw chaos into what could be a sound plan to meet your goals.

The goal is to have an honest and objective assessment of where you might be getting in your own way. And then build one challenge goal to try to counter the goatee-clad evil you.

Note: I know this exercise can be very hard for some people and an objective assessment easily turns to an negative, guilt-laden experience. If this is triggering to you or you are not in an emotional state to do this, please skip it. There is no requirement to do this mission as a part of your challenge.

#DruidApproved!!

For my part, I'm not looking at my habits so much as I'm refining my life from the inside out (perspective is everything). 

For what it's worth, I consistently have to look at how and why I deprioritize rest in my life (I have toxic productivity issues), and how even when I have reset everything, I still have to be mindful of saying yes yet again to things that seem  innocuous enough but actually wipe out my whole day. This is the challenge of a lifetime, and it's getting easier to see, kind of like when the lawn is in great shape and the single dandelion in the corner sticks out like a sore thumb. Weeds will always happen, and that's okay. Ignoring them is not.

And yes, Druid that I am, I somehow managed to make everything about gardens once again, even in a cave :) 

Bon Challenge, mes amis!

• Like 6

&Heidi

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid  Level 12 Philosopher and level 11 Librarian (built on the Monk class, with a training path in The Way of the Cobalt Soul)

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

16 hours ago, titsworth said:

you star to notice large chunks missing from your days. Work and progress you made the day before seem to be erased.

Is this roleplaying or is this a flipping documentary of my failure, eh? EH? 

As we strive to reach the Seas of Success, we realize we needed to take a short detour due to a migrating herd of undead llamas completely clogging up the Western pass.

Ooh. What do undead lamas eat? The blood and brains of living lamas? Undead grass? Or just whisky and wyvern milk like everyone else?

I think I know what is happening to us, Rebels. I think we have inadvertently walked through the remains of the Gate of S'ab Otaj. The scrolls speak of this ancient portal to the void that binds a dark wraith that will periodically awaken and amplify the dark inside of you. You become a villain of your own story. The only way to break the bind is to cleanse yourself at the Well of Kla'arity. It's not an easy journey I hear, but the alternative is to let our inner villain take over!

IRL George breaking in! I heard we wanted a villain arc! I understand that may mean different things to different people, but I though I'd try to fold that into our little role playing challenge adventure series and add it as a bonus quest for this challenge. If you had a different plan in mind, feel free to leave this and be a villain in any evil way you want (slay!).

For the bonus mission: I thought it would be a useful time to have an honest conversation with ourselves! During this challenge, spend some time giving an assessment of how you might be the villain in your own story. How do your habits and actions throw chaos into what could be a sound plan to meet your goals.

Well, adventurers, I think it's time we sat at the bar's corner table and make ourselves a plan for how to get to the Well of Kla'arity. Who's got the first round?

Splendid! I need to think on this before posting. 

• Like 5

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

As I'm reading this thread and thinking of my own journey Soundgardens "Rusty Cage" came on the radio  

"Hit like a Phillips head into my brain
It's gonna be too dark to sleep again
Cutting my teeth on bars and rusty chains
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run"

Knowing ain't half the battle
That's a bullshit quip written by some asshole

You can own what you are and still sit around stoned in your car
Not doing shit, halfway to nil
Cranky and waiting for a boss key and hat full of bills
Get out the car, Aes

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 3

Ahoy the Tavern!

I would like to invite you to the PVP forum where this shiny new adventure is hanging out, in case you are interested in wanting to adventure. A fair warning: I/We are not totally sure how this is going to go, but I/We are excited about it and hope that people will want to participate and be patient while we get ourselves sorted out. So party up if you are so inclined!

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 7

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 9/3/2024 at 9:04 PM, titsworth said:

Do you neglect mobility in your workouts and always feel tight or frequently injure yourself (not that I would know about this personally *cough* *cough*)?

Have been lucky enough to avoid injury, but definitely feeling tight a lot lately. And think to myself "Self, stretching would probably feel really good." And then proceed to not stretch.

I've also been working on decreasing my mindless screen time. I have deleted all the games off my phone, and that helps a lot. But in the evenings when my brain is a little tired, I still default to mindlessly scrolling. I've been doing somewhat better at reading some fiction instead, but there are times I just don't have the focus for that in the evenings, and then out comes the phone.

I think I am going to combine these two things, with the goal of increasing my stretching and decreasing my evening phone time. On nights when I feel too tired to do anything and just want to flop on the couch with my phone, I must instead do my stretching routine. That should set me up for a good night's sleep much better than incessantly bouncing between 3 sites to see if anyone has posted anything new.

• Like 4

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

On 9/4/2024 at 2:04 AM, titsworth said:

Gate of S'ab Otaj

leonardo dicaprio bravo GIF

On 9/4/2024 at 2:04 AM, titsworth said:

I'm gonna have to have a think on this. I'm definitely guilty of spending a lot of time on the sofa curled up round my phone, finding that my neck and back hurt, thinking 'I should get up and do some foam rolling or something to deal with that,' and then going back to my phone...

• Like 1

Level 21 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 18  -  CON: 22  -  CHA: 11  -  SAN: 19  -  INT: 17

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Jarric: The 'C' Team

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map - 2022 road map/wrap-up

15 hours ago, Sovalis said:

Ahoy the Tavern!

I would like to invite you to the PVP forum where this shiny new adventure is hanging out, in case you are interested in wanting to adventure. A fair warning: I/We are not totally sure how this is going to go, but I/We are excited about it and hope that people will want to participate and be patient while we get ourselves sorted out. So party up if you are so inclined!

WooHoo

Karl Urban Animation GIF by NETFLIX

• Like 1

&Heidi

Spoiler

The Chaos Cave Bar and Grill.

Why did it have to be a cave?? I really don't like caves  ?

fox GIF by Masterchef

Who told? I struggle to sleep on a good night, my brain refuses to cooperate! 

Not really, I eat fairly decent 95% of the time.

Not injured per see, but I have to make accommodations, but I love cardio and mobility work ??‍♀️

On 9/3/2024 at 9:13 PM, titsworth said:

I enjoy them when I take the time to answer them! Life gets in the way at times :D 

Well, adventurers, I think it's time we sat at the bar's corner table and make ourselves a plan for how to get to the Well of Kla'arity. 

Not sure where this is but I'm all in on trying to find it at this stage of life

I'll get whatever round we're on

Drunk GIF by stickfiguregirl

• Like 4

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: Life is not Always SET

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

5 hours ago, RES said:

Why did it have to be a cave?? I really don't like caves  ?

Whyyyy? Is it the spiders? Or the bats??? 

Hanging Amazon GIF by Nature on PBS

Or the damp? The poor damp is just trying to do its job, building lovely cave structures over millennia of drippy mineraly water. 

Hey... if I drink enough mineral water over millennia will I get stalactite teeth? 

• Haha 6

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

3 hours ago, Harriet said:

Or the damp? The poor damp is just trying to do its job, building lovely cave structures over millennia of drippy mineraly water. 

Might be the foul smell too.

tumblr_m55qralJNp1r331r3o4_250.gifv

• Like 1

Active challenges: Don't log, remain sensible | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

Old threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII

11 minutes ago, Artemis Prime said:

Is this why vampires seem to get fangier as they get older?

200.webp?cid=790b7611x27kyypmedx2nhbl5u5

But they don't drink mineral water... ?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Harriet said:

Hanging Amazon GIF by Nature on PBS

Hey... if I drink enough mineral water over millennia will I get stalactite teeth? 

I don't care for spiders, true...but it's more the fear of enclosed spaces that I may not escape from that get to me :D If I can see the exit I'm okay, otherwise it's gonna be a big nope from me! :lol: 

• Like 2

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: Life is not Always SET

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

36 minutes ago, RES said:

I don't care for spiders, true...but it's more the fear of enclosed spaces that I may not escape from that get to me :D If I can see the exit I'm okay, otherwise it's gonna be a big nope from me! :lol: 

Oh, then I agree completely. Tunnels and pipes, headfirst and dark, oh my. 

• Like 1

On 9/4/2024 at 8:54 PM, Sovalis said:

Super excited! Thanks for doing this, @Sovalis and @DarK_RaideR!

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 1

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27, #28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35Current

Walk to Mordor: 2019, 2020, 2021202220232024

Adventures: Adventurers Wanted: A West-Marches Campaign