Sovalis and the Cedar Chariot

23 hours ago, Harriet said:

1. Helpfully pay for guest's ticket to elsewhere. 2. Regretfully explain that ticket money was taken out of rice and beans fund. 3. Starve guest out of the house like a reverse siege. 4. Victory dance! 5. Chocolate pudding.

AMAZING, Dear gods I love you. Harriet. :D❤️

23 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

🤞🤞🤞

There are not too many hobbies where those two phrases go together.

I am still only about halfway through C2, but I saw something similar from C3 (not enough to actually spoil anything, but enough to make me go, "oh, that's interesting") and it makes me wish I was not approximately 4 years behind.

No, there are definitely not too many hobbies where those phrases go together. Lol

Four years is a long time, but I promise the MN is worth it. I really loved that campaign. 

22 hours ago, Shello said:

Really happy to see that you and Dave had a very productive conversation and that there is an end date to the home invasion.  I hope Dave will be back home before he has to leave again so you get some time together.  Absolutely LOVE your hoard of dice.  

Thanks, Shello. 

21 hours ago, Sea-to-sky said:

Best plan. 

🤞🤞🤞🤞

Thanks, Sea-to-sky. 

18 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

I have crossed all the things! Lol

I appreciate it, Snarky!

18 hours ago, Kishi said:

Stephen Colbert Good Luck GIF

Thanks, Kishi!

17 hours ago, Ranger Hal said:

🤞

Thanks, Hal!

16 hours ago, Everstorm said:

Kimmy Schmidt Good Luck GIF by Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

Thanks, Ever!

13 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Well, our job during this unexpected visit is to support you. Attacking Dave doesn't accomplish that. ;) 

And google tells me the ones I liked so much are the Surtr dice. Hmmmmm.......

You definitely are not. (Disclaimer that to me it depends a lot on why the guest is visiting, how long they are staying, and whether we had a chance to plan for their visit or not. In your situation, contributing to food is still cheaper than staying in an Airbnb or a hotel, so they should hand over some funds to you. )

In theory you can pay your stewards and administrators with the valuables and treasures you find while adventuring..... right? 😇

Crossing fingers and hoping for the houseguest leaving early!

I appreciate the support. 

You should get the dice. ;) 

We should be able to pay the stewards et al., with loot, if we can find a secure way to get the loot to them (we are in unclaimed frontier land, no really established courier system). But that is the plan currently!

Thank you, Scaly!

8 hours ago, Sea-to-sky said:

Our rule of thumb is, if they are staying longer than 3 days they have to contribute. Food and water prices are very high here right now so its inevitable I'm afraid. Plus a room in a b&b or air b&b is going to be £70+ a night round here (plus food) so they are getting a very cheap holiday (even camping is minimum £60 a night).  

Yeah, we need a rule of thumb for here, because this is more stress than I need. 

6 hours ago, Salinger said:

Hey SOV!!!!!

How are you today? Sending love xx

Hi Sal!! I am having a lovely, relaxed morning this morning! It’s been so refreshing! Sending love back! ❤️ 

4 hours ago, Sepherina said:

Crossing all the things for you!

fox tv good luck GIF by MasterChef Junior

Thank you, Sepherina!

Hi Friends!

Dave and Houseguest left at 5:30 this morning to go to the city to deal with passport shenanigans. Apparently the government can’t do the 24 hour passport thing anymore, the minimum is three days or something like that? So Dave had to go in today and will go back to pick it up on Thursday, administrative gods willing. This means that I have had the house to myself this morning and it has been so peaceful and quiet. I made my favourite coffee because I am the only one drinking it, did Bujos and Tarot, and now I am here and caught up on the forums. Houseguest will be returning this evening, but should be dropped off for keeps on Thursday’s return trip. This is fine by me. 

Today is Dave’s birthday and I feel bad that he is having to run around and deal with this on his day. We have had a terrible track record of things going wrong on his birthday the last few years and I was hoping this wasn’t going to be the case this year. This isn’t as bad as it could be though, so I’ll take it. Depending on what time they get back today we may still play the 2e game tonight. That would be nice. 

I succeeded in keeping the earplugs in all night again last night and was able to sleep in my bed. It was very good. My weighted blanket felt wildly heavy this morning for some reason so that was a bit weird. 

We got some interesting news about Dave’s job yesterday. Nothing related to Latvia and very much another “wait and see” kind of thing, but interesting. If it happens it will be a really good thing I think. Challenging, but good. As per usual no idea how long we will need to wait to know what is going on. This is the Army way. *lol*

Twelve days left in this challenge including today and I am feeling completely derailed. I had such high hopes for momentum on this challenge and it has not played out that way. I am trying to be okay with it. This is a long haul project, it can’t speed along all the time. Today’s card was the Ace of Fire and said “you already possess the power you need but may not recognize it in yourself” and I feel called out. One thing this challenge has made very clear is that I “only” seem to make progress when my world is predictable - there is not a lot of plasticity or robustness built in for variation. I think I need to figure out how to bomb-proof some of these habits and routines so I don’t get so derailed when things aren’t going to plan. Long-term horizon, there are some potential big shifts that might be coming (Latvia, I am looking at you) and I don’t want to lose the thread if they come to pass. I am not sure how to go about bomb-proofing, because I think it largely comes down to executive function and will power, two things I am not the best with. Food for thought, anyway. 

Alright, I need to go deal with the dishes. I hope that you are feeling rock solid in your routines and inspired to something creative today. Thanks for being here. ❤️ 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • That's Metal 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Sovalis said:

AMAZING, Dear gods I love you. Harriet. :D❤️

I love you too, Sovalis. I am glad I have something to offer, even if it is only that nerds sometimes spit their tea out. 

2 minutes ago, Sovalis said:

One thing this challenge has made very clear is that I “only” seem to make progress when my world is predictable - there is not a lot of plasticity or robustness built in for variation.

"To and fro, stop and go, that's what makes the world go round"

tumblr_od3kvttUEI1tvyli9o3_500.gif

I also don't make progress, about half the time. I'm wondering what would happen if I just accepted the downtime in the secure knowledge that progress would come again soon? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

4 minutes ago, Sovalis said:

Twelve days left in this challenge including today and I am feeling completely derailed. I had such high hopes for momentum on this challenge and it has not played out that way. I am trying to be okay with it. This is a long haul project, it can’t speed along all the time. Today’s card was the Ace of Fire and said “you already possess the power you need but may not recognize it in yourself” and I feel called out. One thing this challenge has made very clear is that I “only” seem to make progress when my world is predictable - there is not a lot of plasticity or robustness built in for variation. I think I need to figure out how to bomb-proof some of these habits and routines so I don’t get so derailed when things aren’t going to plan. Long-term horizon, there are some potential big shifts that might be coming (Latvia, I am looking at you) and I don’t want to lose the thread if they come to pass. I am not sure how to go about bomb-proofing, because I think it largely comes down to executive function and will power, two things I am not the best with. Food for thought, anyway. 

This is me in a nutshell right now.  There has been a ton of promising research into Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) for bulletproofing your brain, and I have been checking it out.  The basic idea is that avoiding or fighting negative emotions often leads to destructive behaviors (eating to soothe, procrastination, alcohol/drug addiction, etc), so building a mindset that allows space for negative emotions to exist without overwhelming  while you still soldier on towards your goals is something to practice.  Might be something worth looking into.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • That's Metal 1

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

1 hour ago, Sovalis said:

I “only” seem to make progress when my world is predictable - there is not a lot of plasticity or robustness built in for variation. I think I need to figure out how to bomb-proof some of these habits and routines so I don’t get so derailed when things aren’t going to plan. Long-term horizon, there are some potential big shifts that might be coming (Latvia, I am looking at you) and I don’t want to lose the thread if they come to pass. I am not sure how to go about bomb-proofing, because I think it largely comes down to executive function and will power, two things I am not the best with. Food for thought, anyway. 

I am the same. I find building in extra time for life happening into plans helps. Mostly though i am with you on the habit vs extremis thing. My progress derails whenever we have house guests or i hit critical on the energy or the sky starts falling (for whatever reason it is this time). 

Sometimes i think its inevitable that life will get in the way. Some things do take precedence. But you can build habits as coping mechanisms too. Taking a walk when I'm stressed is soothing. When i get stuck in my head or need to work of steam i yoga now. These things help when life throws spanners into plans. 
having a back up plan for not being able to use the home gym might help. When we have guests or the house is chaos i have to work out in a different room, but maybe there is a local gym you can use as a backup (also nice to have a neutral space to escape to and decompress)

• Thanks 1

the creative spelling comes as standard. Enjoy! 
A journey of thousand miles, begins with a single step - Lao Tzu

Challenge: #1#2#3#4

I walked to work today for the first time since I started in September! It went well and took 18 minutes. I wasn't particularly hustling, but had a good pace. I wore my Soucany sneakers with my orthotics and my feet feel pretty reasonable. Hopefully I get through my shift with no issues. Would be nice to make this a regular thing in good weather! 

• Like 12

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Sovalis said:

I know what this is like. It's frustrating, because there's this place you're trying to get to and now you have to work really hard to spin your wheels and go nowhere closer. It's not fun.

It may help to reframe your situation as one where you have maintained progress even in the face of your obstacles. It's just that your obstacles are pushing you back harder, so the progress keeps you in place rather than sliding back and away from where you want to be.

As far as bomb-proofing things, I'm... still figuring that out myself. ^_^;;; I can't help thinking that there's something useful in the idea of exercise programming where the trainee tries to perform a given pattern of movement and isn't necessarily concerned with the specific move (like, doing a deadlift or a kettlebell swing for a Hinge, for instance). So, maybe having something that you want to accomplish and having a lot of ways to count the thing as being done? But IDK. Mileage is definitely going to vary with that approach depending on the task. There's no substitute for a good night's sleep (but then, maybe napping as a goal to mitigate? Maybe).

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Sovalis said:

I walked to work today for the first time since I started in September! It went well and took 18 minutes. I wasn't particularly hustling, but had a good pace. I wore my Soucany sneakers with my orthotics and my feet feel pretty reasonable. Hopefully I get through my shift with no issues. Would be nice to make this a regular thing in good weather! 

Oooh I love that brand!!

• That's Metal 1

Level 38 [TBD]

I'm playing catch up, but I'm happy to read about your productive conversation with Dave, your accommodations to catch up on sleep, and that your houseguest will be moving on soon! I hope Dave has a lovely birthday despite the admin shenanigans! Enjoy the beautiful weather! ❤️ 

• Thanks 1

Level 16 Ravenclaw Rebel

Fairy tales do not start, nor do they end, in the dark forest (Ted Lasso)
COMPLETED CHALLENGES: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 13.5 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18

CURRENT CHALLENGE

13 hours ago, Sovalis said:

So Dave had to go in today and will go back to pick it up on Thursday, administrative gods willing. This means that I have had the house to myself this morning and it has been so peaceful and quiet. I made my favourite coffee because I am the only one drinking it, did Bujos and Tarot, and now I am here and caught up on the forums.

This sounds wonderful. :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

19 hours ago, Sovalis said:

I'm struggling with this myself, and the conclusion I've come to is that it's not realistic to make progress when you're stressed out. No one who has a tiger biting their leg wonders about what they're cooking for dinner or if they kept their house tidy or if they're gonna get their workout in that day. They're thinking about the tiger. And then after they deal with the tiger, there's gonna be recovery. Because you have a tiger bite. So you can start doing some things, but you're just working hard to recover from 30% to a level where you can move again so you're not gonna make progress then either. No one looks at someone who survived a tiger biting their leg and says "so, can you drive me to the airport?" I feel like I'm losing control of this idea a little lol.

I think you handled this situation well, and the fact that you're thinking "How can I do better next time?" is showing that you are feeling better, so I'm really happy for you.  Some sleep, feeling supported by your partner, and having quiet time are great protective, and restoractive factors for you. You're well on your way towards progress again, even if your timeline got disrupted by this pain in the ass guest. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Im with snarky. My challenge seriously derailed last month (still getting back to normal to be honest). Sometimes these things just happen. There will always be next week, next challenge, next month to start over 😄. Be kind to yourself, you have a lot on your plate at the moment. 

(cant believe its only 12 days left though. Where did that go?)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Sovalis said:

Today is Dave’s birthday

Aries for the Win!!!

I'm three pages behind, but just about caught up. Hooray for small meaningful conversations that help. Honestly, you and Dave do relationshipping so well it's a balm to my soul to see. 

Twelve days left in this challenge including today and I am feeling completely derailed.

Beautiful Friend, I absolutely hear you on this, and also:
You have done some massive emotional lifting nearly every day. I would invite you to sit with that and look at the "lift" that the Houseguest brought  and the impressive way that you met it. Had you known about the Houseguest at the outset, your formal goals would have been different, and this, too, was an important and meaningful --and nothing short of heroic--pivot. I also like the way that Dave solutioned the houseguest/couch dilemma by trading off and taking "his turn" on the couch or by leaving the house to you and taking the houseguest away. This is good, and it was challenging, and you met it well. Also, I think there's something to be said about how easily you share with us and reflect on your emotional landscape. This is a superpower and you do it well. Many of us are still working on knowing what we feel, let alone knowing it in real time. This is good, and you are good at it.

Today’s card was the Ace of Fire and said “you already possess the power you need but may not recognize it in yourself” and I feel called out.

;) 

Of course you have everything you need. 

You are enough, just as you are. 

You are powerful.

You are loved.

❤️ 

20 hours ago, Everstorm said:

avoiding or fighting negative emotions often leads to destructive behaviors

I had not heard of ACT, but I can tell you I never once changed a bad habit or took on a good one by fighting or pushing through. I found that I had to make friends with my demons and dark thoughts, welcome them in and set a feast for my sorrows. So far this has been the only thing that worked/works for me, because I found that it was okay to have them along on the journey as long as I was the one choosing the direction. Are we crying the sauna? Well, yes, but we're in the sauna. Are we ranting our fool head off like a crazy person while we're walking the greenway? You know it, and also, we are walking the greenway. Do we want to throw the freeweights we're lifting, and do we have a list of preferred targets? Almost certainly, and look, we're lifting. 🤷‍♂️

Sending you beautiful vibes for wonderful weather and walking. I really like the way walking helped give a boost to my toniing efforts (back when I did either or both, and now you're inspiring me!). I found that daily small walks really made my lifts more "excersize-y" if that makes any sense. The results seemed to be visible sooner and with less overall exertion. 

Blessing, Friend.

It's Wednesday and you are almost houseguest-free.

:) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

&Heidi

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid  Level 12 Philosopher and level 11 Librarian (built on the Monk class, with a training path in The Way of the Cobalt Soul)

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | :: 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 |

Shaman: 82 | 83 | 84

Philosopher-Librarian 85 |:: 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

20 minutes ago, Sea-to-sky said:

RIGHT?!?!

• Like 1

&Heidi

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid  Level 12 Philosopher and level 11 Librarian (built on the Monk class, with a training path in The Way of the Cobalt Soul)

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

23 hours ago, Sovalis said:

Twelve days left in this challenge including today and I am feeling completely derailed. I had such high hopes for momentum on this challenge and it has not played out that way. I am trying to be okay with it. This is a long haul project, it can’t speed along all the time.

OK, I'm glad it's not just me feeling this!

23 hours ago, Everstorm said:

This is me in a nutshell right now.  There has been a ton of promising research into Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) for bulletproofing your brain, and I have been checking it out.  The basic idea is that avoiding or fighting negative emotions often leads to destructive behaviors (eating to soothe, procrastination, alcohol/drug addiction, etc), so building a mindset that allows space for negative emotions to exist without overwhelming  while you still soldier on towards your goals is something to practice.  Might be something worth looking into.

Thank you! Googling now!

2 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

No one who has a tiger biting their leg wonders about what they're cooking for dinner or if they kept their house tidy or if they're gonna get their workout in that day. They're thinking about the tiger.

This is a good premise, but I feel like I have no tiger biting my leg, I'm just trying to find one to bite my leg to serve as a distraction... :D 👀

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Level 37 Rogue Ranger, 2024 ROADMAP

Welcome to the Dungeons of Doom; locate the Amulet of Yendor ♀ on Level 26

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 45, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 1415, 16, 17, 18, 1920, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41

9 hours ago, Harriet said:

I love you too, Sovalis. I am glad I have something to offer, even if it is only that nerds sometimes spit their tea out. 

"To and fro, stop and go, that's what makes the world go round"

tumblr_od3kvttUEI1tvyli9o3_500.gif

I also don't make progress, about half the time. I'm wondering what would happen if I just accepted the downtime in the secure knowledge that progress would come again soon? 

You have so much to offer. ❤️ 

That is such a great gif. 

I think this meditation on downtime and security of future momentum is wise. Thank you.

9 hours ago, Everstorm said:

That sounds really interesting. Thanks Ever!

8 hours ago, Sea-to-sky said:

I am the same. I find building in extra time for life happening into plans helps. Mostly though i am with you on the habit vs extremis thing. My progress derails whenever we have house guests or i hit critical on the energy or the sky starts falling (for whatever reason it is this time). 

Sometimes i think its inevitable that life will get in the way. Some things do take precedence. But you can build habits as coping mechanisms too. Taking a walk when I'm stressed is soothing. When i get stuck in my head or need to work of steam i yoga now. These things help when life throws spanners into plans. 
having a back up plan for not being able to use the home gym might help. When we have guests or the house is chaos i have to work out in a different room, but maybe there is a local gym you can use as a backup (also nice to have a neutral space to escape to and decompress)

This is all very solid. Thanks, Sea-to-sky. ❤️ 

7 hours ago, Kishi said:

I know what this is like. It's frustrating, because there's this place you're trying to get to and now you have to work really hard to spin your wheels and go nowhere closer. It's not fun.

It may help to reframe your situation as one where you have maintained progress even in the face of your obstacles. It's just that your obstacles are pushing you back harder, so the progress keeps you in place rather than sliding back and away from where you want to be.

As far as bomb-proofing things, I'm... still figuring that out myself. ^_^;;; I can't help thinking that there's something useful in the idea of exercise programming where the trainee tries to perform a given pattern of movement and isn't necessarily concerned with the specific move (like, doing a deadlift or a kettlebell swing for a Hinge, for instance). So, maybe having something that you want to accomplish and having a lot of ways to count the thing as being done? But IDK. Mileage is definitely going to vary with that approach depending on the task. There's no substitute for a good night's sleep (but then, maybe napping as a goal to mitigate? Maybe).

Maintenance is definitely a win. I just struggle to see that sometimes without it being pointed out to me, so thank you for that. This extended visit has been challenging and the obstacles have certainly been pushing back hard. You’re right, I’ve done pretty well considering.

This is interesting to think about. Thanks, Kishi. 

4 hours ago, Laghail said:

Oooh I love that brand!!

Me too!

1 hour ago, athousandwords said:

I'm playing catch up, but I'm happy to read about your productive conversation with Dave, your accommodations to catch up on sleep, and that your houseguest will be moving on soon! I hope Dave has a lovely birthday despite the admin shenanigans! Enjoy the beautiful weather! ❤️ 

Thanks, athousandwords! We are going to do birthday lasagna tonight as Dave didn’t have much energy for anything last night.

10 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

This sounds wonderful. :) 

Thanks, Scaly.

2 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

I'm struggling with this myself, and the conclusion I've come to is that it's not realistic to make progress when you're stressed out. No one who has a tiger biting their leg wonders about what they're cooking for dinner or if they kept their house tidy or if they're gonna get their workout in that day. They're thinking about the tiger. And then after they deal with the tiger, there's gonna be recovery. Because you have a tiger bite. So you can start doing some things, but you're just working hard to recover from 30% to a level where you can move again so you're not gonna make progress then either. No one looks at someone who survived a tiger biting their leg and says "so, can you drive me to the airport?" I feel like I'm losing control of this idea a little lol.

I think you handled this situation well, and the fact that you're thinking "How can I do better next time?" is showing that you are feeling better, so I'm really happy for you.  Some sleep, feeling supported by your partner, and having quiet time are great protective, and restoractive factors for you. You're well on your way towards progress again, even if your timeline got disrupted by this pain in the ass guest. 

I think you are absolutely right, Snarky. I have a tendency to minimize my discomfort/setbacks/inconvenience/suffering (“suffering” seems like a dramatic word, but I am thinking of it in the Buddhist attachment sense here) due to Past Life crap, and I completely discount the recovery for that reason as well. Trying to be real about this kind of stuff and actually process it rather than move on from it by ignoring it is a bit of a challenge. I appreciate you affirming that I handled this okay. Hearing about the Visiting Uncle and your reactions and coping skills was very grounding for me. Thank you for sharing with me as you have. 

2 hours ago, Sea-to-sky said:

Im with snarky. My challenge seriously derailed last month (still getting back to normal to be honest). Sometimes these things just happen. There will always be next week, next challenge, next month to start over 😄. Be kind to yourself, you have a lot on your plate at the moment. 

There will be. You are absolutely right. 

(I have no idea. Feels like it has gone so fast!)

1 hour ago, Heidi said:

Aries for the Win!!!

I'm three pages behind, but just about caught up. Hooray for small meaningful conversations that help. Honestly, you and Dave do relationshipping so well it's a balm to my soul to see. 

Beautiful Friend, I absolutely hear you on this, and also:
You have done some massive emotional lifting nearly every day. I would invite you to sit with that and look at the "lift" that the Houseguest brought  and the impressive way that you met it. Had you known about the Houseguest at the outset, your formal goals would have been different, and this, too, was an important and meaningful --and nothing short of heroic--pivot. I also like the way that Dave solutioned the houseguest/couch dilemma by trading off and taking "his turn" on the couch or by leaving the house to you and taking the houseguest away. This is good, and it was challenging, and you met it well. Also, I think there's something to be said about how easily you share with us and reflect on your emotional landscape. This is a superpower and you do it well. Many of us are still working on knowing what we feel, let alone knowing it in real time. This is good, and you are good at it.

Thank you so much for these words. I take for granted these “superpowers” because I have always done them and extrapolate that into assuming other people do them with similar ease. It really did help that Dave took his turn on the couch (and that I found earplugs) and that he took Houseguest to the shop for a while. He is good at problem solving as long as he accepts that there is a problem. 

1 hour ago, Heidi said:

;) 

Of course you have everything you need. 

You are enough, just as you are. 

You are powerful.

You are loved.

❤️

Thank you. ❤️ 

1 hour ago, Heidi said:

I had not heard of ACT, but I can tell you I never once changed a bad habit or took on a good one by fighting or pushing through. I found that I had to make friends with my demons and dark thoughts, welcome them in and set a feast for my sorrows. So far this has been the only thing that worked/works for me, because I found that it was okay to have them along on the journey as long as I was the one choosing the direction. Are we crying the sauna? Well, yes, but we're in the sauna. Are we ranting our fool head off like a crazy person while we're walking the greenway? You know it, and also, we are walking the greenway. Do we want to throw the freeweights we're lifting, and do we have a list of preferred targets? Almost certainly, and look, we're lifting. 🤷‍♂️

Sending you beautiful vibes for wonderful weather and walking. I really like the way walking helped give a boost to my toniing efforts (back when I did either or both, and now you're inspiring me!). I found that daily small walks really made my lifts more "excersize-y" if that makes any sense. The results seemed to be visible sooner and with less overall exertion. 

Blessing, Friend.

It's Wednesday and you are almost houseguest-free.

:) 

The walk did feel really good yesterday. I think I am going to make it a regular thing in good weather. This will be more convenient for Dave as well as he won’t have to arrange his day to get me to work. 

I am almost Houseguest free. Thank goodness. And thank you for spending a bunch of your time reading here to get caught up. I know how busy you are lately and I appreciate you spending the time with me. ❤️ 

1 hour ago, Heidi said:

RIGHT?!?!

RIGHT??

3 minutes ago, Silmarilliane said:

OK, I'm glad it's not just me feeling this!

Nope!

Thank you! Googling now!

I love how this community shares information. ❤️ 

This is a good premise, but I feel like I have no tiger biting my leg, I'm just trying to find one to bite my leg to serve as a distraction... :D 👀

Lol

Hi Friends!

It is, as Heidi pointed out, Wednesday and I am almost Houseguest free! 🥳

It turned out to be a blessing that Houseguest went into the city with Dave to do the passport stuff because Dave had filled out the wrong paperwork for the passport and needed a guarantor for the correct paperwork and they could do that for him. So hooray for that. The new passport will be ready tomorrow afternoon and Dave will drop off Houseguest when he goes into the city and I will have my house and husband back for a few days before he leaves. Whew.

The earplugs have been doing heavy lifting and I was able to sleep quite well last night. It snowed again so the bedroom was quite cold when I woke up this morning, but I had blankets and was quite content. Houseguest has stayed sleeping this morning so far so I got to have coffee and wake up with Dave and that was very nice. He’s just left for work so I am finishing up coffee, Bujos and Tarot, and now Forums. Then I am going to go into the basement and try to find an RPG sourcebook I am missing. It’s got to be down there somewhere. I am missing one or more players each week for the next seven weeks, so planning is going to be interesting. This week I have only two players (my wizard and my Druid) so that will be something to plan for specifically. I normally don’t run for just duets, but I really want to play this week so we are going to give it a go. 

Yesterday at work I had one of the gluten free brownies that we bring in and it was AMAZING. I never would have guessed it was gluten free. And now I know how good they are and will have to resist eating them all of the time. *lol* It was a nice pick me up in a good day. Dave was back in town in time to pick me up from work which was an unexpected and excellent surprise. We  went and got the fixings for Instant Pot roast and made that for supper. Then we played more Heroes with Houseguest before crashing at 9:30. A pretty decent evening, really.

Today is day three of my six day work week this week. I do get a two day weekend though, as I have next Monday off. I am happy about the two days. Makes the six in a row easier. 

I hope that your underroos fit you exactly right today. I am stuck between wildly too big and barely too small and it is so vexing. *lol* 

Thanks for being here. You’re all amazing. ❤️ 

• Like 11
  • Wow 1

2 hours ago, Heidi said:

had not heard of ACT, but I can tell you I never once changed a bad habit or took on a good one by fighting or pushing through. I found that I had to make friends with my demons and dark thoughts, welcome them in and set a feast for my sorrows. So far this has been the only thing that worked/works for me, because I found that it was okay to have them along on the journey as long as I was the one choosing the direction. Are we crying the sauna? Well, yes, but we're in the sauna. Are we ranting our fool head off like a crazy person while we're walking the greenway? You know it, and also, we are walking the greenway. Do we want to throw the freeweights we're lifting, and do we have a list of preferred targets? Almost certainly, and look, we're lifting. 🤷‍♂️

This is exactly what ACT is: making room for the feeling to exist (because it already does exist) while also recognizing that it isn't the only thing that exists.  Our bodies and the world exist around it. We are not being swallowed whole by it.  We can continue to move our bodies and be in the world around it.

4 minutes ago, Sovalis said:

It turned out to be a blessing that Houseguest went into the city with Dave to do the passport stuff because Dave had filled out the wrong paperwork for the passport and needed a guarantor for the correct paperwork and they could do that for him. So hooray for that. The new passport will be ready tomorrow afternoon and Dave will drop off Houseguest when he goes into the city and I will have my house and husband back for a few days before he leaves. Whew.

Yay!  So happy you have a happy resolution to this situation, even if it was a bit long in coming.

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 1

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

My goodness, things move fast in your life. It may not seem that way to you, but a lot has happened in the last week.

I am in awe of your dice. I thought Dumbledore had an extravagant collection. Yours is magnificent. 🌟

On 4/15/2024 at 10:46 AM, Sovalis said:

The consensus was adventuring, so we are going to try to hire people to watch the keep for us while we lope around. Hopefully we can come up with the money!

On 4/16/2024 at 10:34 AM, Sovalis said:

We should be able to pay the stewards et al., with loot, if we can find a secure way to get the loot to them (we are in unclaimed frontier land, no really established courier system). But that is the plan currently!

Is this keep solely a military outpost, or is it a feudal holding with agricultural lands around it? 

If it has feudal control of the countryside, you can offer the superintendent a share of the profit from managing the people and resources. They will also have to manage the staff of the keep. This is the same situation feudal lords had to deal with when they went off to the wars. I am sure you can find culturally appropriate stories for inspiration.

Dave and Houseguest left at 5:30 this morning to go to the city to deal with passport shenanigans. Apparently the government can’t do the 24 hour passport thing anymore, the minimum is three days or something like that? So Dave had to go in today and will go back to pick it up on Thursday, administrative gods willing. This means that I have had the house to myself this morning and it has been so peaceful and quiet. I made my favourite coffee because I am the only one drinking it, did Bujos and Tarot, and now I am here and caught up on the forums. Houseguest will be returning this evening, but should be dropped off for keeps on Thursday’s return trip. This is fine by me. 

I am so glad this is all working out. And that it is almost over. ;) 

I succeeded in keeping the earplugs in all night again last night and was able to sleep in my bed. It was very good. 

Yay! Good sleep makes everything else in life sooooooooooo much easier.

Twelve days left in this challenge including today and I am feeling completely derailed. I had such high hopes for momentum on this challenge and it has not played out that way. I am trying to be okay with it. This is a long haul project, it can’t speed along all the time.

Yep, that seems to be the consensus for this challenge. Holding ground is a fine place to be. Sometimes strategic retreat to a better location is really the best course of action. We want to believe we can move forward consistently, but that is an occasional happy condition, not the norm. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Level 76  Viking paladin

My current challenge  Battle log 

Oh my goodness, that was a saga and a half to read through! I am so so sorry you had to deal with the Houseguest Hellian for so long. That is completely and utterly unfair. May the rest of your time with Dave be peaceful and restorative for you both. 

Hugs and my hat is off to you my friend. You handled that like a champion. I'd have snapped, probably at HH and partner, but neither would have been right. You are an inspiration for how effective communication and empathy should work in a relationship. 

you-are-awesome-steggy-dino-1yl63tb60n7b

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

“All You Have To Decide Is What To Do With The Time That Is Given To You.” - Gandalf

Current Challenge: A Bold New Year

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|2728 29|30

The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Dúnedain Ranger: Vol I, Vol IIVol III, Interim| Vol IV|Vol V 

10 hours ago, Heidi said:

I vehemently disagree. Reframe them as demon monsters and kill them with fire!! 😈

059.gif

8 hours ago, Sovalis said:

I hope that your underroos fit you exactly right today. I am stuck between wildly too big and barely too small and it is so vexing. *lol* 

Ouch! That sounds beyond frustrating. I hope that this situation changes for you, and soon!

4 hours ago, Mistr said:

Holding ground is a fine place to be. Sometimes strategic retreat to a better location is really the best course of action. We want to believe we can move forward consistently, but that is an occasional happy condition, not the norm. 

Holding ground can be a victory. A strategic retreat can lead to a victory. Adapting successfully as our circumstances change, is a triumph at times. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

23 hours ago, Everstorm said:

This is exactly what ACT is: making room for the feeling to exist (because it already does exist) while also recognizing that it isn't the only thing that exists.  Our bodies and the world exist around it. We are not being swallowed whole by it.  We can continue to move our bodies and be in the world around it.

Yay!  So happy you have a happy resolution to this situation, even if it was a bit long in coming.

This seems super useful. Thanks for putting it on our radar. 

Thanks, Ever. 

18 hours ago, Mistr said:

My goodness, things move fast in your life. It may not seem that way to you, but a lot has happened in the last week.

I am in awe of your dice. I thought Dumbledore had an extravagant collection. Yours is magnificent. 🌟

Is this keep solely a military outpost, or is it a feudal holding with agricultural lands around it? 

If it has feudal control of the countryside, you can offer the superintendent a share of the profit from managing the people and resources. They will also have to manage the staff of the keep. This is the same situation feudal lords had to deal with when they went off to the wars. I am sure you can find culturally appropriate stories for inspiration.

I am so glad this is all working out. And that it is almost over. ;) 

Yay! Good sleep makes everything else in life sooooooooooo much easier.

Yep, that seems to be the consensus for this challenge. Holding ground is a fine place to be. Sometimes strategic retreat to a better location is really the best course of action. We want to believe we can move forward consistently, but that is an occasional happy condition, not the norm. 

The last week has felt very crowded. Thank you for affirming my perception. 😅

Thank you! I love collecting dice and playing with them, it’s as close to a gem hoarding dragon as I am ever going to get. 

It’s an abandoned keep that belonged to a wizard and a fighter. It’s a sprawling 2e monstrosity of a dungeon that makes no practical sense as a keep and it’s in the middle of the woods with no farming land or anything around it, but if we can be absentee landlords it’s worth hanging on to and seeing if we can develop it. 

Sooooo glad it is almost over. *lol*

Sleep does make everything easier. I have been much more myself the past few days of not sleeping on the couch.

I think you’re right. I need to sit with these ideas of exponential growth and unreasonability. 

18 hours ago, Rhovaniel said:

Oh my goodness, that was a saga and a half to read through! I am so so sorry you had to deal with the Houseguest Hellian for so long. That is completely and utterly unfair. May the rest of your time with Dave be peaceful and restorative for you both. 

Hugs and my hat is off to you my friend. You handled that like a champion. I'd have snapped, probably at HH and partner, but neither would have been right. You are an inspiration for how effective communication and empathy should work in a relationship. 

you-are-awesome-steggy-dino-1yl63tb60n7b

Hi Rho! 

So good to see you! ❤️ Thank you so much for your kind words. It’s been a bit of a trial, but I’ve been so grateful for everyone’s support. 

14 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

I vehemently disagree. Reframe them as demon monsters and kill them with fire!! 😈

059.gif

Ouch! That sounds beyond frustrating. I hope that this situation changes for you, and soon!

Holding ground can be a victory. A strategic retreat can lead to a victory. Adapting successfully as our circumstances change, is a triumph at times. 

Fire!

It is frustrating, but it will sort itself out eventually. 

Absolutely. 

Morning, Friends!

Today is the last day of Houseguest! I am so excited to have my house back! Dave will hopefully have his passport when he gets back from the city this evening and all will be well. I finally put two and two together that he is leaving at 4am on Sunday and I work on Saturday so we are not going to get a ton of time together between now and then, but it is what it is and I will take what I can get. 

We had birthday lasagna last night and it was delicious. Wheat noodles but worth it to use up the graveyard of boxes in the pantry that had two and three noodles in them. Friends came over and ate and then everyone took off pretty early so we played more Heroes before going to bed at 10. I slept well and woke up feeling very rested so hopefully today is a good day. 

I have decided that my two players are facing some Xorn in tomorrow’s game so I got Dave to print me up three Xorn minis. They are going to look so cool! I am hoping they are done printing early enough tonight (and that Dave is home early enough to wash and cure them for me) that I can start painting them tonight so I can finish painting them tomorrow morning. I’d like to have them done before game tomorrow night. I won’t be upset if I can’t finish, but I’d like to if I can. I think the final boss fight of this region is going to be an undead dragon whose bones are made of glass and filled with some kind of smoke, but I haven’t gotten into the mechanics as much as aesthetics. I have some time though, I don’t think they will fight that boss for a few weeks. 

I am going to do some game prep now and maybe make a second cup of coffee. I hope that you have something to celebrate today, even if it is the absence of an irritant. ;) 

Thanks for being here! ❤️ 

• Like 9
  • That's Metal 4

18 minutes ago, Mistr said:

It is great to hear you sounding happy and excited instead of tired and frustrated. I hope everything goes well and you have fun with the game tomorrow.

Agree. It is so good to hear you souning more yourself.

May the Houseguest go with God and godspeed. :) 

Happy Adventuring!

❤️ 

• Thanks 1

&Heidi

Spoiler

47 minutes ago, Sovalis said:

m, it’s as close to a gem hoarding dragon as I am ever going to get. 

IMG_8556.webp.007582b273dab7100771b296d7e79894.webp

you deserve serious points for dealing so well with all this. Surprise house guests (especially awkward ones) are legendary level encounters for sure. 

ps. Birthday lasagna sounds amazing. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Today is the last day of Houseguest! I am so excited to have my house back!

Im Free Carl Reiner GIF by Team Coco

an undead dragon whose bones are made of glass and filled with some kind of smoke

😍

With diamond teeth? Toxic fumes breath weapon? I want in on this boss fight!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1