The Firelight Farm Lodge: 2024 Challenge #8 General Chat Thread

Welcome to the 8th challenge of 2024 Rebels! This is the second to last Challenge this year!

What an adventure we had last challenge, rebels! You broke through the chaos of awakening the Gate of S'ab Otaj and cleansed yourself at the Well of Kla'arity. Don't you feel so Kla'ar-headed right now?

Our band of adventures has decided to venture out to see how we can continue to improve the lands of Rebellia as well as ourselves.  We are on our way to a farm where we heard we could hold hundred of baby puppies and babie kittens until our hearts overflowed, but on our way we noticed a shimmering valley in the distance with a cloud of majestic swirling energies that look like... oh wait, no, that's smoke. And that shimmering is a raging fire. We should probably help.

We come across a village surrounded by the massive flames, but somehow magically untouched. We finally make our way to a cute lodge that has snow covered rooftops, which is odd for this time of year... oh wait, no, that's ash. Welcome to The Firelight Farm Lodge!

We asked the manager at the lodge, Reginald Flametamer, how the village has been spared from the raging fire. He said - "Oh this fire? It's been going for centuries. A powerful mage named Uslynne Grynde was trying to manage her magi lessons, the defense of the realm, a bustling craft potions side hustle, three cats, seven rock elementals all under the age of 1000, and was trying to binge scry seven seasons of Astral Trek: The Next Generation. One day she just combusted. We call the flame the Burnout. But luckily we had a few Wise Ones that showed us out to set magical protection wards on the boundaries of our land to keep the Burnout from our fields. If you plan to stay here,  you should learn how to do this yourselves!"

IRL break-in here! I fully encourage you to read Steve's latest Newsletter. Burnout comes for us all. And in today's society, I feel it is only getting more frequent. But there are defenses (magical wards?) that can help - mostly in how each of us controls our time and attention. And better controlling our time and attention starts with setting healthy boundaries for ourselves on how we respond to external needs (and sometimes internal).

While you are building out your challenge this week, your bonus objective is to 

1. Explore some of the boundaries in your life where you think your defenses might be weak (maybe use the list you made last challenge of the things in your life that cause a bit of chaos to creep in)
  2. Identify a protection ward that could help you strengthen your boundaries. Is this saying no to a friend who demands too much of your time? Is this freeing yourself from a project that no longer fills your cup? Is this loosening your expectations on yourself for a perfectly clean home or a perfect yard? Write down a plan that would make you 1% less burnt out. You don't have to execute it, though you could if you want. But at least write it down.

Feel free to share your thoughts here in in your challenge thread!

So grab a stool at the bar and order your drinks while we plan out our next days, hero! 

• Like 5

Ranger - Rheno - Rising Hero

Also, a quick note on server maintenance. We missed the window this week, so we will be moving to our new hosting provider on Tuesday, October 22. 

To move the forums, we have to back-up 14 years worth of awesome Rebel wins and move it over to the new server. We expect this to take about a day and a half coordinate between the teams and do the work (do you know how many flex photos we've had over the years??). This means we will take the forums into a maintenance mode on Monday (first day of challenge, boooo!) so we don't lose any posts/data during the transition and hopefully have everything back up and running Tuesday with the whole rest of the week to work out any kinks.

So feel free get your challenges started now and I'll keep you updated on status.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • That's Metal 3

• titsworth changed the title to The Firelight Farm Lodge: 2024 Challenge #8 General Chat Thread

TimovieMan walks in. "Barkeep, coffee please. Black."

Not many are here yet. I thought they'd be fired up to get here...

image.gif.4ea4b25c0b5f6f04f0002e934bc9a3e3.gif

Burnout? That's something Mrs. Movieman struggles with, not something *I* struggle with. My natural inclination towards apathy makes me nope out when things become too hectic, avoiding the problem altogether.

Bore-out on the other hand... it's the above but swinging too much to the other side...

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

TimovieMan: funnier than you think he is; not as funny as he thinks he is...

Active challenges: Don't log, remain sensible | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

Old threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII

Hoping things go smoothly with the move :)

The usual please barkeep 

bourbon-ginger_1600.jpg?resize=1920x0

• Like 5

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: Life is not Always SET

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

I am drinking a Lavender London Fog, just to keep my hand in with the medicine of a past challenge. 

Thank you for the maintenance, @titsworth. We appreciate your efforts to care for our beloved corner of the internet. 

• Like 4

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

One very large oatmilk chai, with a healthy does of coffee please!  And if you could put it in one of those magical mugs that will keep it at the perfect temperature until I'm done drinking it, that would be amazing. :)

I am here, and maybe starting to actually figure out a way to thrive in chaos, because at this point, that is just my life, all the time.  Hoping to use this upcoming challenge to get some solid habits in place, because there is very likely another large upheaval headed my way...

• Like 6

Wood Elf Waywatcher Mandalorian (Assassin/Ranger hybrid)

Cinnamon tea sounds lovely!
I'll have what @Sea-to-sky is having please!

I had already crafted my challenge before dropping into the tavern, and once again find myself in alignment. Burnout wards for the win.

I have a question for my D&D Nerds:

I'm fighting a monster, but I don't know which one it is, specifically.

Seems to have leech or poison effects, and has a drag on dexterity of -3 (maybe it has freeze or some other immobilizing?).

Here's what I know about it so far

• Feels like this might be an undead monster, or more likely a fiend.
  • The thing showed up unnoticed in Week 5 of last challenge (sneaky!) and landed its first attack in Zero Week.
  • It had the element of surprise and seemed to be Gargantuan, landing some blows that really left me reeling.
  • Restore Balance helped me recover, but only enough to keep fighting
  • It deals reduction to Intelligence (-1) and Wisdom (-2)
  • Slashing damage
  • Charisma and Gumption spells reduced it only to a Large monster --its hits can't be avoided, and it gets one every week--and now it is only landing 25% of what it smacked down during Zero Week. But still, it's not a small blow.

Does this beastie have a name?

• Like 5
  • That's Metal 1

&Heidi

West-Marches Campaign Herb-Gatherer

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid  Level 12 Philosopher and level 11 Librarian (built on the Monk class, with a training path in The Way of the Cobalt Soul)

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | :: 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 |

Shaman: 82 | 83 | 84

Philosopher-Librarian 85 |:: 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

2 hours ago, Heidi said:

Does this beastie have a name?

Interesting, interesting. Will have to do some digging before I can report back, but I suspect you may be dealing with a crafty beasty who either has some spellcasting prowess or some innate ability that replicates a form of Feeblemind. A very intriguing puzzle, I look forward to getting my teeth into this and seeing what I can find for you, as well as what our fellow nerds come up with!

• Like 2

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

On 10/18/2024 at 11:40 AM, Heidi said:
  • Feels like this might be an undead monster, or more likely a fiend.
  • The thing showed up unnoticed in Week 5 of last challenge (sneaky!) and landed its first attack in Zero Week.
  • It had the element of surprise and seemed to be Gargantuan, landing some blows that really left me reeling.
  • Restore Balance helped me recover, but only enough to keep fighting
  • It deals reduction to Intelligence (-1) and Wisdom (-2)
  • Slashing damage
  • Charisma and Gumption spells reduced it only to a Large monster --its hits can't be avoided, and it gets one every week--and now it is only landing 25% of what it smacked down during Zero Week. But still, it's not a small blow.

I fear you may be dealing with an Alkilith. A fiendish entity that can disguise itself as easily overlooked slime or fungus, it often catches adventurers unawares. Unforunately, this one seems to be larger and more intelligent than is standard for its kind - perhaps even wielding weapons in its tentacles, as I don't know how else it would be dealing slashing damage. It is also possible that you are under the affects of Foment Confusion, which would account for some of your details not matching an Alkilith.  

My other theory is that you may be facing an Arcanaloth who is using its illusory magics to disguise its true form from you. It also may have learned nonstandard spells that could be accounting for the Intelligence and Wisdom debuffs, as that is not an innate ability of these creatures.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

Hot cocoa please!  With extra whip cream, marshmallows and chocolate syrup... 

Aww the flame of burnout. 

I personally am dealing with a healing process of chronic issues. Changing everything from "coping/fighting through" to being gentle but show up daily to the last things I want to do that day. I am having to learn how to trust putting up my wards and potions that will work on helping me feel better over my old coping skills. 

• Like 2

"Operation Bad*ss" Starts 9/1/2024

Quest 1: Level up Basecamp

Hot apple cider with a generous dose of cinnamon (and a tad of apple brandy).

Ah…burnout.  The enemy that haunts every success I plot. Looking forward to leaning some new tricks to keep it at bay or maybe even slay it outright. Most of the last challenge was just resting after my latest tangle with it. I managed to beat back the beast for now but it inflicted a nasty plague (cold) on me before disappearing. As such rest, fluids and healing have been the top of my priority. I must be better prepared for this bugger in the future. 

• Like 3

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore before you decide to be happy” -Nightbirde

“Dreams do not come true all by themselves. They are nourished by the bounty of hard work”  -Unknown Disney Imagineer

2024 Word

Svastha: Standing in One’s Own Power

Current Challenge:

Sepherina Focuses

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 , #6 , #7 , #8 , #9#10#11, #12, ,#13#14, #15#16, #17

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

A wood elf pushes his way into the inn, his singed cloak still smouldering gently. He flashes a warm but weary smile to the room and approaches the bar. 

Pint of the black stuff barkeep, he says as he takes up a bar stool.

Burnout for me is definitely focused around work, and things are changing at work which may mean some more chaotic times ahead. There may be a goal on there somewhere, possibly around not working hours I'm not being paid for. Worth considering...

• Like 3

Level 21 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 18  -  CON: 22  -  CHA: 11  -  SAN: 19  -  INT: 17

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Jarric: The 'C' Team

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map - 2022 road map/wrap-up

I am definitely burned out. I'm not sure there's enough coffee to help at this point. Maybe make it an Irish Coffee...... or just some Irish Cream on the rocks with a double espresso chaser.

I haven't looked anything up - but that D&D monster sounds like a wight.  It's been a hot minute since played. I seem to recall they can temporarily lower stats if you fail a savings through.

• Like 2

"Be not afraid of growing slowly; be afraid only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

My Recipe Thread

1st dozen-ish Challenges for the curious 12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,More attempts, #1 with Intro, Failed attempts

Spoiler

Quick Bio: IT Consultant, Been in IT 25+ Years, Bounced around and landed as a traveling Consultant for a medium-sized Software Company. I love to cook & read, I travel for a living (although amount varies widely, sometimes I'm home for weeks, others I'm traveling for weeks on end), and trying to move out of Atlanta (plan in place, working to implement).

I went through burnout earlier in the year with work stuff and Home Office stress but luckily, those days are behind me now. I am in a good place (for now) since they've hired more people and I am not attempting to do three jobs at once (just two). 

I will take a large class of champagne please. I have lots to celebrate this challenge.

• Like 3

If it's not siesta or fiesta, I'm not interested. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

On 10/20/2024 at 10:32 PM, Athaclena said:

I am definitely burned out. I'm not sure there's enough coffee to help at this point.

On 10/20/2024 at 4:25 PM, Everstorm said:

Ugh I feel like I live in burnout/ on the edge of burnout.  Pretty sure I don't know how to spell "no", much less enforce it. 

In the spirit of "enough coffee to help," I offer this graphic:
spacer.png

On 10/20/2024 at 10:32 PM, Athaclena said:

I haven't looked anything up - but that D&D monster sounds like a wight. 

Interesting! I'll go take a look. :) 

Thank you.

3 minutes ago, titsworth said:

Took a little longer than expected but things look to be in order

HUZZAH!

lord of the rings hobbits GIF by Box Office

• Like 1

&Heidi

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid  Level 12 Philosopher and level 11 Librarian (built on the Monk class, with a training path in The Way of the Cobalt Soul)

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

On 10/19/2024 at 12:48 PM, Artemis Prime said:

My other theory is that you may be facing an Arcanaloth who is using its illusory magics to disguise its true form from you. It also may have learned nonstandard spells that could be accounting for the Intelligence and Wisdom debuffs, as that is not an innate ability of these creatures.

Oooof, this is likely it!

The first spell it hit me with was finger of death, which left me alive but with enhanced vulnerability when it laid mind blank on me, all of which was helpful to really boost the damage it did with chain lightning. 

Dang, what a beast.

I'm pleased to report that the Arcanaloth is out of upper level spells, at least for this week. It's going to continue on with its slashing melee attacks for a goodly bit, but I was able to counter the worst of it with Spirit Guardians and then those guardians helped enhance my Sheild of Faith spells.  The guardians are making it so that I can cast Dispel Magic, which is helpful, but is taking all my focus and I'm still taking some slashing damage each week.

Whew.

It's going to be a challenging challenge.

• Like 1

&Heidi

Spoiler

On 10/18/2024 at 1:35 PM, Sea-to-sky said:

Ok, important questions. What level are you? Does your DM homebrew?

I'm a level 12 (BeacauseTankSaidSo™) and the Universe is my DM, so yes, Homebrew with a solid standard base.

:) 

From my Character Sheet Appendix:

It is said that Gypsies are a Fey race, with their laughter and dancing, their easy way with song and their nimbleness in even mundane activities -- to watch them stir a pot or weave a braid or sharpen a blade is to watch, and fall under, a spell, even if just for a moment.
 The Fey blood gives them youthfulness all their days, it is said, and access to magic -- intuition, foresight, the ability to know a person’s heart to the core.
And then, after six decades, it is said that this gift, this well-spring of ebullient life force, is reclaimed. These indomitable people, unbowed and unbroken by a society that fears them, slip into death in their sleep as easily as changing a coat.
We know ourselves and the measure of our society by how we treat the least amongst us. We know ourselves and the measure of humanity by how we treat our dead. For Gypsies, death is a reverential affair, the closest these folk ever get to somber, reflecting that for them, to be alive is to be engaged with the sacred.
They seem to make time stand still when they roll a cigarette or lace a shoe. They strip away the pretenses when they look in your eyes, seeing beyond the armor of respectability and the cloak of success you have donned, leaving just you, and seeing all of you, exposed, naked, vulnerable, whole. And we crave it as much as we fear it, this being seen as we truly are, being known, and so we hate them for doing it, as if having Fey blood were a choice.

• That's Metal 1

&Heidi

Spoiler

I like that you can see what threads other people are on and if anyone is typing in the thread you're currently reading, but it makes me worry that I've just been a closet stalker this whole time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Artemis Prime said:

I like that you can see what threads other people are on and if anyone is typing in the thread you're currently reading, but it makes me worry that I've just been a closet stalker this whole time.

Yeah that was a bonus feature I didn’t know we were getting. I like it though. Things seem super active when you see people in a thread. What does everyone else think of this? Keep it and out ourselves for the thread stalkers we really are? Remove it? (There’s probably a user specific setting to disable it too)